retiring and working at wdw

After I was laid off in 2001, I decided to get to Florida. I finally made it in 2003. I wanted to retire here anyway, so I decided to head down early, work full-time, but work part-time at WDW--2 days a week. It's been great. I love it and no more AP. Right now I live in Lakeland, but I'm in the process of getting my house ready to be sold and move up closer to Disney. Davenport, Clermont or Haines City area or possibly, Poinciana. It's great knowing I can go to the parks when I want, and it was nice during the Flower and Garden Festival--Get off work--Head to Epcot.

How are the school systems down there? What area has the best?

Simba's Mom said:
I'm in that stage of being a few years from retirement and "cornering" Disney employees about their experiences too! I recently had a long, very nice talk with a man who, along with his wife, works crowd control for Fantasmic. They live in an RV park, where Disney came and recruited people, they love having the part time retirees so much, he said. He doesn't get paid much more than minimum wage, but it's not about the money-it's the perks and he loves his job. Also, he gets some bonus ($500?) if he recruits anyone from the RV park to sign up too. Darn! I forgot to ask him where I bring my RV for this. But DH isn't the Disney nut I am, has no desire to retire at WDW-but I've told him that if anything happens to him, I'm on the next bus to WDW! Fortunately, he doesn't mind me saying that-anyone else have a non-Disney fanatic spouse with plans like that-"if anything happens to you..."?

OMG! I think you talked to my friends parents! Her parents work crowd control at Fantasmic and they live in an RV park in Winter Haven. They work at least 300 hours a year and they get discounts of 20% like you said. They also got a 25% discount when they bought into DVC. They also get to shop at the "backlot" - which is all Disney items at ridiculously low prices. They love it! I am sure it was her Dad you spoke to, what are the chances!

Tammi67 said:
I don't have kids, so I'm not sure how they are. I do know they are looking for teacher's and have thought about doing that (I don't have a degree but I can work as a sub and go back to school for a degree).

My parents did this. My dad always said that when he was 50, he was retiring and moving to Orlando do drive a bus...and that's just what they did. Before retiring though, he was the CEO of a very large electrical corporation and enjoyed the mindless fun of driving the bus. My mother works in the Emporium seasonally. Dad loved the bus...that is until he got the opportunity to manage RNR, Fantasmic, and Beauty & the Beast Stage Show at MGM. He loved that job, but ended up getting recruited by another electrical corporation and came back out of retirement to take over that company....in Houston. He is still on as a seasonal manager for MGM and picks up shifts for fun when he is in town (about once every 2 weeks). So, now we're back to house in Florida and house in another city and parents flying back and forth to see each other.

They live in Winter Garden in an M/I Homes community which is very nice. Lucky for them though, they bought 3 years ago pre-construction and now the house is worth about $250,000 more than when they bought it. There are several apartments on 535 just behind the back entrance to Disney near the Marketplace. Also, they're building townhomes like crazy in Independence which is just 3 minutes to the cast member entrance.

If you need any more detailed information about real estate, though, please send me a message as I am a Title Agent and can lead to you extremely good Real Estate agents.

Tammi67 said:

I know Winter Garden has great "A" schools such as Whispering Oaks and Lake Whitney. Windermere area as well. I would stay away from the metrowest area though.

jezebella said:
I know Winter Garden has great "A" schools such as Whispering Oaks and Lake Whitney. Windermere area as well. I would stay away from the metrowest area though.
Thank you. What cities would be considered part of the metrowest area?

Orlando....basically off of Hiawassee Road...and steer clear of Pine Hills.

Mikes company is opening a store in Orlando, He is putting his name in for Manager :cool1:
I am looking at housing on the internet :wizard:
I can use good thoughts for him to get the job.. :cheer2:
We have always hoped a opening would come up for this area.. :cloud9:
I can't wait to find out if we get it.
Deb

Hi...great thread...Here's my short story!

Retired two years ago...we stay just south of Disney in Jan, Feb, and March.
In 2004, first stop in January was casting center. They were great but had no "seasonal" positions as the parks slowed dramatically after Jan 1st.

I was not "part time" as I would not be available from April to January...may be different now that park attendance is up.

So, I went to several local very high end golf courses and ended up with a great job at a course that is over $100/round as a starter and ranger about 20 hrs/week and we play free golf, get our Florida season annual passes and life is good. I start work 1st week in Jan and leave last week in March during their very busy season...

Still dream of Disney one day, but hard to beat this job for the benefits.

All the best..Ted

Thank you. What cities would be considered part of the metrowest area?

I live in Metro West. The communities are nice(apt/condo, mainly), but there have been crime problems in the area this year. I found out almost 2 weeks ago (on the news, no less) that my apt gone condo community has had 7 burgaries this year. The condos are not selling and there are a lot of empty units. Needless to say, I purchased a bar for the door last year. There have been three murders in MW since February. There have been 32 or 33 murders in Orlando this year and that apparently beats the old record from 1982.

The bottom line is there are plenty of nice areas to live in - Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Clermont, Celebration, etc. IF you can afford it. Being single and nearly 40, I still cannot afford to purchase a home in those areas. Please be sure to do your research before you move here.

As far as insurance goes, my car & renters insurance are less & more than they were at home in Philla. My real estate agent told me that insurance for the modular or mobile homes are more expensive since they would suffer more damage in a hurricane (for example). At this point, however, if I decide to stay here, that might be the only way for me to go.

Yes, "snowbirds" do work at Disney as seasonal cast.

after reading these posts and doing a lot of research we are leaning toward keeping our condo in ohio and doing the snowbird thing. we have our first grandchild due in sept and we just dont think at this time we could leave her year round.
our other child graduates from college next year so we are figuring fall of 2007 might be the time to retire and head south for the winter. we could stay with my parents in clearwater while we search for our our winter spot closer to wdw so we could work part time for "fun".

Dyerneeds said:
after reading these posts and doing a lot of research we are leaning toward keeping our condo in ohio and doing the snowbird thing. we have our first grandchild due in sept and we just dont think at this time we could leave her year round.
our other child graduates from college next year so we are figuring fall of 2007 might be the time to retire and head south for the winter. we could stay with my parents in clearwater while we search for our our winter spot closer to wdw so we could work part time for "fun".

My aunt and uncle were "snowbirds" once. I think they worked at Cosmic Rays. They go around the country and live out of their RV about six months out of the year! Anyway, they loved it and still talk about it. Hope you enjoy yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter