retiring and working at wdw

Dyerneeds

chics dig the scar
We would love to hear from others who have retired and moved to fla and worked part time for disney.
I have 30 years in at my job and am eligible to retire. we have always dreamt of moving south and working part time for the mouse.
Would love to hear pros and cons from others. we are only 50 and have been to wdw every year since married in 1975. sometimes 2 or 3 visits a year.
thanks

OMG. You are almost living the same life as us! DH will be able to retire early in less than 5 years. We plan to sell out and move down and work at WDW too!

Every trip down, DH corners employees and asks them about working at WDW. Most are very enthusiastic about the company...but are candid about the low pay. However, one gentleman said they are very accomodating with the hours...he and his wife work the same shifts and have the same days off so they can ride together.

We plan to buy a small condo or mobile home to keep our expenses low. We are doing all our expensive traveling NOW (going to Europe next fall) so we won't need a large amount of $$ to live on.

I am interested to hear what others have to say!

I am retired and work two days a week (Wednesdays and Thursdays) at Typhoon Lagoon (Guest Services/Ticket Sales/Greeter). This is the first time since 1992 I have not carried an AP as I can get into all the parks free. If you are PT you normally have to agree to work at least two days a week, but you can tell them your availability. I have times when I travel and as long as I give them at least three weeks advance notice of unavailability I have no problem. The only restrictions are I cannot take off between Christmas and New Years or for a week on either side of Easter. I am covered with health, life and LTC insurance based on my former employer (US Government) and I probably spend more money at WDW in a month that I amke there, but at least I get a 20% discount on everything I buy.

I thought I was the only one who wanted to do this!! I have a while until I retire but it is in my long term plans. Who knows...maybe I will win the lottery and but enough DVC points to live there and just hang out at the parks all day.

Gosh you guys sound like me!! I keep trying to figure out how I can sell all my stuff now and down size so I can go work and live near Mickey lolol...I wish all of you the best of luck and hope those nagical dreams come true!!! DJ princess:

looked into it myself - can't stay near WDW - it is too expensive - but some of the outside area are still a nice bargin.

I would probably spend more on gas for the car to get to WDW than they would pay me for working there.....

I won't to open my own business.....

So if I wanted to sell ice cream at EPCOT two days a week, can anyone tell me whom (or is it who?) to contact? I think there are nice apartments near Orlando for less than $1,000. I echo the OP: has anyone else done this? :artist:

Cheshire Figment, besides the free park entries and the 20% discount, are there any other benefits? Thanks. :happytv:

I'm in that stage of being a few years from retirement and "cornering" Disney employees about their experiences too! I recently had a long, very nice talk with a man who, along with his wife, works crowd control for Fantasmic. They live in an RV park, where Disney came and recruited people, they love having the part time retirees so much, he said. He doesn't get paid much more than minimum wage, but it's not about the money-it's the perks and he loves his job. Also, he gets some bonus ($500?) if he recruits anyone from the RV park to sign up too. Darn! I forgot to ask him where I bring my RV for this. But DH isn't the Disney nut I am, has no desire to retire at WDW-but I've told him that if anything happens to him, I'm on the next bus to WDW! Fortunately, he doesn't mind me saying that-anyone else have a non-Disney fanatic spouse with plans like that-"if anything happens to you..."?

I worked at Disney through high school and college. Loved it!!!!! To get a job you must go to the casting center. You do some test...fill out some papers and voila you get a name tag. Training is fun...you get all kinds on neat info. Plus the perks are great!
Living in Polk County is a good option. Housing is much cheaper and your commute would be about 15 min. Many cast members live there.

So if I wanted to sell ice cream at EPCOT two days a week, can anyone tell me whom (or is it who?) to contact? I think there are nice apartments near Orlando for less than $1,000. I echo the OP: has anyone else done this?

If you are interested in working for WDW, you need to contact the Casting Center for more info. You can call the jobline at (407) 828-1000. They can speak to you about benefits, etc.

Please keep in mind that while the cost of living in FL is less than in some other places, around Orlando it is not so much. I come from Philadelphia, and I can get a meal at McDonalds back home than I can here. Yes, a few things are less and there is no state tax, but be forewarned.

Also, the housing situation is out of hand. we had over 16k condo conversions last year alone. Finding an apartment is not easy in this area.

Good luck to you. :sunny:

Christypl said:
I worked at Disney through high school and college. Loved it!!!!! To get a job you must go to the casting center. You do some test...fill out some papers and voila you get a name tag. Training is fun...you get all kinds on neat info. Plus the perks are great!
Living in Polk County is a good option. Housing is much cheaper and your commute would be about 15 min. Many cast members live there.

I was thinking Lake County - is Polk County cheaper?

First Trip to WDW in 1972, marched in the afternoon parade down Main St. (When Kissimmee was mostly farmland)

orange grooves and cattle farms.....

and you have to fly into the air force in Kissimmee - because Orlando did not have an airport....

Polk County is cheaper. The Davenport and Haines City area isnt bad. I often see townhouses to rent in Southern Dunes in Haines City for under $1000. Southern Dunes is a nice Golf Course Community. It would be about a 25 min drive. If you wanted to save an extra $200 you could move into Greneleaf. A 2 bedroom apartment goes for $800 a month. It would be about a 35 min drive.

wow. thanks for all the input so far. please keep it coming.
we read about a place called La Casa Del Sol, that is a retirement park that you can rent for around $425 a month. Or we thought about a trailer park for retired people. my parents own a trailer in clearwater fla and spend the winters there.
We also have been talking to cast members on our visits to wdw the last few years. Most have said if you rely on it for your income its tough to get by on. But if working here would only serve to supliment your income its a great place to work. (that would be us) I guess bus drivers make like $3 an hour more than everyone else but that seems like a lot of pressure.
Our biggest thing would be the guilt of leaving our kids behind in ohio. Even though they are grown we would not get to see them as often. Somehow its ok when kids grow up and move away but when mom and dad do it its makes you feel guilty.
PLEASE keep the input coming!!

Glad I stumbled across this thread.. since I don't visit this board as much as some of the others! DH & I have quite a few years left before retirement but this is something we have discussed as a definate possibility.... Love to hear more!

I've seen Casa del Sol before...its along 27. There are a lot of trailer parks like this in the area. Although they are cheap...with the storms we have I dont think they are very safe. Pay at Disney is not very good...not a lot more than min. wage. But if you are just doing it for fun and the perks it is good. You get discounts on everything and free passes...how can you beat that!

Great thread. I thought I was the only one that wanted to retire and work with the Mouse. While I have several years until retirement everyone in my office know of my plans to move to Florida and be a PT greeter or something on that line when I retire and golf the other days.

Until then I'll just vacation with the Mouse.

Too bad the housing cost are going up. A few years ago a co-worker's son was going to go to school near Orlando, and rather than pay the boarding he bought a 3BR house. His son rents out the other two rooms. I think since then the costs have risen enough to make that not doable now. Unless you have the extra money for an investment. He has already made out well!

So, the part time pay is low, what about working full time in a more established position? I daydream about it once in a while, until I look at what I have in my present job. Then go back to thinking retirement!

Well, Here's my story to make you all jealous! I am not old enough to retire (which is code for not enough money). But, my wife has convinced me to leave my BELOVED COLORADO. In less the 24 hrs the moving van arrives.

Folks, were moving to Celebration!

Two months ago, I applied over the internet for a sales position with a major telcom. I flew out for an interview in May and I start on the 10th of July.

My wife is so excited, me less so, but as I said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Colorado. But that being said, this all got started when I was on a business trip to Orlando in Sept. I had always wanted to see Celebration, but we never rent a car when we stay at WDW. This time the car was on the company dime. So, I'm driving around the town of Celebration, with my mouth hanging open. My fatal mistake was in calling the wife from the cell phone. "Honey, sell the house I'm not coming home" I was joking of course, but here I am a couple months later. I guess the moral of my post is...Why wait?

I've got a lot of years left before retiring... Wait a minute, I don't have a job. DH has a lot of years left before retiring, but when he does I think it would be fun. He'd love it. I'm a Disney nut, but he would be great with the people. Never know what the future holds. I'd never do it because I had to work, but rather for something fun. I wonder with all of the retired folks and college students just how many people they have to hire because they are in need of employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter