Reactions to Are you 23? Announcement

I just ran this by one of my co-workers who likes Disney and the parks but is not a Disney fanatic, just to get an unbiased opinion. Her first question was, "Do you get a discount on anything when you go to the Parks?"

She pointed out that she supports our area museums and zoos and each of those memberships are roughly the same cost. They each give a newsletter, tickets to special events, a gift such as a pin, t-shirt or a tote bag, just for joining. But the incentive to join for her is the 10% discount in gift shops and restaurants when she visits. I think they really have missed the boat here.

Well, I'm just going to be the first to point out the Emperor has no clothes. :scared1:

The magazine itself is nice. Not great. But nice. Conceptually, it's a good idea. But seriously, this stuff is kinda terrible. And waaaay overpriced. What's even better? The super-overpriced stuff (like the $800 pen) aren't even D23 exclusive - they're just under the banner of "Walt Disney Signature Collection." I'm just so underwhelmed - and I can't imagine what Disney's thinking - especially in this economy! Really, a Polo with 23 stitched on it? (Which again, isn't D23-member exclusive). They may as well have printed shirts that say, "Are You An Idiot?." Furthermore, I'm kind of disgusted with the whole, "D23 is "The Official Community for Disney Fans" — the first of its kind in the Company's 85-year history." It seems to me like kind of a slap in the face for already-established communities like the Passporter, DIS, All-Ears, etc that have worked very hard to bring together groups of people that share the same love for Disney. And by the way, they don't have to CHARGE for it. To me, D23 is kind of like having to buy your friends. Speaking of which, for a so-called online community, where's the message boards?

I'd rather they released 23 movies on Blu-Ray. BTW, did anyone ACTUALLY get a notification email? Neither DH nor I did. I'm glad that was just a ploy for Disney to get me to sign up to their emailing list. I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of spam from them in the future. Ugh. I'm just so disgusted right now.

I am quite dissapointed. They really aren't giving you enough for your money. Just more opportunities to spend more money. If they included coupons or discounts to the parks on both coasts or Disney store coupons it might be worth it. But this is a bit dissapointing!

:rotfl:
Well, I'm just going to be the first to point out the Emperor has no clothes. :scared1:

The magazine itself is nice. Not great. But nice. Conceptually, it's a good idea. But seriously, this stuff is kinda terrible. And waaaay overpriced. What's even better? The super-overpriced stuff (like the $800 pen) aren't even D23 exclusive - they're just under the banner of "Walt Disney Signature Collection." I'm just so underwhelmed - and I can't imagine what Disney's thinking - especially in this economy! Really, a Polo with 23 stitched on it? (Which again, isn't D23-member exclusive). They may as well have printed shirts that say, "Are You An Idiot?." Furthermore, I'm kind of disgusted with the whole, "D23 is "The Official Community for Disney Fans" — the first of its kind in the Company's 85-year history." It seems to me like kind of a slap in the face for already-established communities like the Passporter, DIS, All-Ears, etc that have worked very hard to bring together groups of people that share the same love for Disney. And by the way, they don't have to CHARGE for it. To me, D23 is kind of like having to buy your friends. Speaking of which, for a so-called online community, where's the message boards?

I'd rather they released 23 movies on Blu-Ray. BTW, did anyone ACTUALLY get a notification email? Neither DH nor I did. I'm glad that was just a ploy for Disney to get me to sign up to their emailing list. I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of spam from them in the future. Ugh. I'm just so disgusted right now.

This cracked me up!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am completely underwhelmed. Not only is Disney offering a biased version of something that we already have here on the DIS, but they're also charging for it. :(

Seventy Five bucks for 4 magazines, and exclusive (expensive) merchandise!

Sounds like Disney has found a new way shake/take even more of their loyal fans money from their pockets, and a new way to make money in this economy.

This is clearly something that those wiz kids in marketing dreamed up. "Hey, let's go print a bunch of stuff and put D23 then we'll sell them as exclusive items, and throw in a magazine."

Good for them, bad for their fans! :sad2:

I'm sorry, but they better have something to offer other than a magazine and the opportunity to buy expensive crap! I was reading msgs on another Disney board (unofficial and unnamed) and they seemed to all be drinking the Kool-Aid and willingly handing over their $75. I was somewhat amazed. Glad to see the folks here aren't drinking the Kool-Aid.

I would be willing to buy the magazine on its own - $16 from http://disneyshopping.go.com/disney/store/DSIProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&productId=1243434&catalogFromSearch=10002&catalogId=10002&categoryId=66493&isSingleMatch=true&ddkey=http:DSISearch - however they won't ship outside of the US. So the only option for us seems to be to join the club, for $75. Why is it not possible to send a magazine, but is possible to send a magazine plus membership card?!? Hmmm.

It does state though that there will be additional shipping charges for overseas members. But of course, they don't say what it is. I'd consider joining for the magazine but not without knowing how much the additional shipping will be. I don't want to get stuck with a fortune each time, when I've already paid to join. I'm really disapointed. I was expecting something a bit more exciting and unique. I will be in California on 11 September but will have got off an international flight at 6am. To be honest, I think I'd rather use my time in Disneyland doing some of the things that aren't available in WDW. And the discount is nothing anything. Sounds like its going to be a very quiet online community.

Bernie Madoff would be proud. You give them $75 for what? The right to buy more overpriced merchandise. Please, I would rather take the family out to dinner. What a joke (I think this may count as my fist DISBoard rant!)

I have mixed feelings on the entire thing. Quite honestly though, I believe the DVC members should be getting things like this included with their membership. Afterall, it IS the Disney CLUB. True, they DO have specialty merchandise, but the other perks are almost non-existent. I used to live in this fantasy world thinking only DVC members could stay in DVC rooms. Boy, that was sure a joke.

I like the merchandise for D23. However, much of it is clearly overpriced as well as the membership itself. The pen is beyond unreasonable. What are the chances that it was a typo? I have NEVER seen a PEN go for that much money ANYWHERE. Still, the cost to get into Club 33 is even higher than either of these things so it makes me wonder.

I am really disappointed in Disney for this. It sounds like an exciting club, but in today's economy, the perks aren't that gratifying. Part of me really wants to join though because I'd feel like less of a Disney fan as a result. I am sure this is due to how they are presenting it all. Still, I do have part of me that wants to be in this exclusive club. I just can't justify it yet. Will this make me any less of a fan? In reality, no, but it still is egging me a bit. I am hoping they modify this when they hear all of the complaints.

I was at the shareholder meeting today, where they distributed D23 fliers and commemorative pins and they looked kinda cool. The first thing I did when I got home was go online to sign up. Until I saw the price! Yikes!

If park or other discounts were attached, I'd go for it. But this isn't worth $75.

I was at the shareholder meeting today, where they distributed D23 fliers and commemorative pins and they looked kinda cool. The first thing I did when I got home was go online to sign up. Until I saw the price! Yikes!

If park or other discounts were attached, I'd go for it. But this isn't worth $75.

Are the pins the same ones that were seen online?

I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of Disney catering to thier wealthy fans and leaving everyone who can't afford (and wouldn't buy if I could afford) $800 pens and other such nonsense. Take the Haunted Mansions 40th Anniversary Event out here at Disneyland this year...too expensive at $400 and upwards and that's the same principal, charging for the priveledge of purchasing more merchandise. All the special events they do are like that. No thanks. Hey Disney, how about offering your fans something that has value, purpose, and a reasonable price tag to boot? And as someone posted earlier, yeah it is insulting to all the other fan communities that have been around for ages and know what Disney fans like.

The pen is beyond unreasonable. What are the chances that it was a typo? I have NEVER seen a PEN go for that much money ANYWHERE.

Just to interject, I do have pens that cost way WAY more than that. However; unless these pens are made by a company like Mont Blanc or MontaGrappa, I don't quite understand it either. I've personally seen pens go for many thousands of dollars (gold, diamond encrusted, etc...), but these don't even say who makes them, I wonder if the merchandise will be on display at the parks to see?

A long time ago I was a Magic Kingdom Club member we had some real benefits then they removed one after another I was paying $50 a year but it was still worth it. Then they stopped the program and I had to sign up for the Disney club they took benefits away from that then shut it down. I spent much more money in Disney when I had the Magic Kingdom Club I spent less with the Disney Club. I spend way less now they forgot how to treat the true Disney fans and this proves it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter