• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. I suspect it's all Venom's fault :)

Actually, I heard from the room assignment manager at POR a couple of days ago, and one of the things he was saying is that they've been noticing a larger than normal amount of faxed requests recently. He says he's pleased to get these though, as it's much easier to sort out detailed requests with a few days notice than it is when people just arrive at check-in and ask.

Andre

Thanks Andre, getting ran over by a bus is pretty cool! JP!

-------------------------------
To everyone else...

Yeah the "RAM" at POR has not complained so everyone is good. So fear not it is just been busy lately most likely due to he holiday guests making their way down. Yeah it does help actually to get these requests sorted out in plenty enough time before their arrivals.

I have a question about driving vs. buses from POR. We're going in January and it will be 6 of us - DH and me and our 4 kids. We'll most likely have 2 strollers - an adaptive stroller for our oldest with special needs and a regular stroller for the 2 year old. We'll have our car with us and we're thinking it might be easier to just drive, instead of trying to juggle 4 kids and 2 strollers on the buses and trying to keep them from bothering everyone around us. DD qualifies for a handicapped parking permit and even though we don't normally need it in our every day life, we're thinking about getting it for WDW just because of the massive amount of walking.

Given all that, is there a reason why taking the buses would be better? I've heard that at MK it's better because the buses get you much closer to the entrance. The only other reason the buses might be an advantage would be if we wanted to drink, but DH and I aren't big drinkers, especially when we're with the kids, so I don't think that's a big selling point.

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot topic. I've seen threads turn hot from discussions of strollers, especially strollers on buses, and handicapped permits, but this thread seems pretty friendly.

Thanks Andre, getting ran over by a bus is pretty cool! JP!

-------------------------------
To everyone else...

Yeah the "RAM" at POR has not complained so everyone is good. So fear not it is just been busy lately most likely due to he holiday guests making their way down. Yeah it does help actually to get these requests sorted out in plenty enough time before their arrivals.

That is good to know! Still hoping for some pixie dust for our trip, but it will be unbelievable regardless. This thread has been invaluable to assuring we get the most out of it. 11 days until we surprise the kids!!

Backstage_Gal said:
Not so, you can get a Taxi from POR. In fact, they now have Taxi stations there.

Their answer was correct; the OP was asking how to get from MK to POR.

Not POR to MK.

lucifie said:
I have a question about driving vs. buses from POR. We're going in January and it will be 6 of us - DH and me and our 4 kids. We'll most likely have 2 strollers - an adaptive stroller for our oldest with special needs and a regular stroller for the 2 year old. We'll have our car with us and we're thinking it might be easier to just drive, instead of trying to juggle 4 kids and 2 strollers on the buses and trying to keep them from bothering everyone around us. DD qualifies for a handicapped parking permit and even though we don't normally need it in our every day life, we're thinking about getting it for WDW just because of the massive amount of walking.

Given all that, is there a reason why taking the buses would be better? I've heard that at MK it's better because the buses get you much closer to the entrance. The only other reason the buses might be an advantage would be if we wanted to drink, but DH and I aren't big drinkers, especially when we're with the kids, so I don't think that's a big selling point.

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot topic. I've seen threads turn hot from discussions of strollers, especially strollers on buses, and handicapped permits, but this thread seems pretty friendly.

We had a car and 1 stroller this past October and it worked out well. We drove to Epcot, HS, and AK, took the bus to MK, and boat to DTD. We are AAA members so we had the diamond parking pass and arrived at the parks between 10-11 am on the days we drove.
We had early reservations before rope drop at MK so the bus was fairly empty on the way there. DH and a few other dads stood with strollers for the ride back after Wishes, but I didn't hear any complaints from any passengers. Everyone was very friendly.

Not so, you can get a Taxi from POR. In fact, they now have Taxi stations there.

Hey BSG, they were right they are talking about, "from the Magic Kingdom to POR."

Their answer was correct; the OP was asking how to get from MK to POR.

Not POR to MK.
Either way, you cannot catch a taxi or depart from a taxi at MK. Your cab drops you off at the TTC from any resort (or anywhere else) and then have to monorail or boat into MK; you have leave MK by monorail or boat to the TTC to catch a cab back to any resort (or anywhere else).

Hey everyone! We're 10 days out!!! Whooo!!!

I'm ordering some supplies from Walmart and have hit a snag. I put the resort's address in and it is showing up as:

Hold for Michelle Bult 12/8-12
c/o Disney's Port Orleans Rive,
1251 Riverside Drive,
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

So, the "/15" is missing from the top line and "rside" is missing from the second line - should I be concerned?

Has anyone ever ordered from Walmart before? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

lucifie said:

We always rent a car. It's just more convenient for us. Yes the bus does drop you off right at the front but it's not bad parking and jumping on a tram. And if you get there early enough you park close enough to the entrance to just walk. Theres alot of waiting in line for buses.

lucifie said:

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot topic. I've seen threads turn hot from discussions of strollers, especially strollers on buses, and handicapped permits, but this thread seems pretty

andrewilley said:
LOL. I suspect it's all Venom's fault :)

Actually, I heard from the room assignment manager at POR a couple of days ago, and one of the things he was saying is that they've been noticing a larger than normal amount of faxed requests recently. He says he's pleased to get these though, as it's much easier to sort out detailed requests with a few days notice than it is when people just arrive at check-in and ask.

Andre

Does this process work for all of the resorts? I am in the process of planning a trip and haven't settled on a resort yet, but POR is in the running.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

lucifie said:

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot topic. I've seen threads turn hot from discussions of strollers, especially strollers on buses, and handicapped permits, but this thread seems pretty

When we have a car we usually ride the buses to MK, but we don't have strollers and our 2 kids are teenagers. The one time I would definitely drive ( in your situation) would be if we were staying until park closing. The lines for the buses can be really long and the buses are really crowded. Personally I would be less stressed if I knew I could get on the ferry and drive back in my own car. Plus, the ferry is an experience itself, especially on the way over to the MK. :)

Just booked for our stay at POR May 28th-June 7th! I have learned so much from this board, and look forward to learning more as our trip approaches!

silly ? but what does a car rental cost? I'm thinking for 3 kids, 2 aduts normally run for 6-7 days rental?

Lita said:
Does this process work for all of the resorts? I am in the process of planning a trip and haven't settled on a resort yet, but POR is in the running.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

No, this happens to be an anomaly because a CM is on the thread. Most resorts have not taken faxes since the new computer system was installed and the computer can sort them automatically.

mommycal said:
silly ? but what does a car rental cost? I'm thinking for 3 kids, 2 aduts normally run for 6-7 days rental?

You can find info re: car rental on the Transportation board, including pick up/drop off places on-site.

We stayed at POR Nov. 12 - Nov.22. The resort is beautiful and the staff very friendly. The check in was a breeze and when we got in our room there was a message from the front desk wishing we had a magical vacation.

Our room was near the East stop and that was convenient in the evenings after a long day in the parks. Our room was always clean, we had enough towels and toiletries. Our mousekeeper made animal towels and arranged the towels near the sink in a nice way.
The boat to DTD was fantastic, we used 4 times during our stay and just loved it. The buses run frecuently we never waited more than 5 minutes for any bus and always had a seat.

We ate a few times in the Riverside mill food court and the food was really good with a lot of options. The make your own salad was my favorite I tried the make your own pasta and it was good too.
We ate Dinner at the Boatwright's Dining Hall and it became a must do on future trips, the food was tasty, DH had the blackned fish and he does not eat much fish so I was worried but he said it was great. The service was very nice. We saw a couple with birthday buttons and all the servers sang the happy birthday (they mixed up with the song from Splash Mountain) and gave to them a bcard with ballons and necklaces. There is a lot to do in the resort but we did not have enough time.

Coronado Springs has been our home resort since we have DS and we tried a couple of others resorts before DS and yes we found good polite cast members, but the ones in POR are special and they will make you feel special or at least for 10 nights we had the luck of encountering the really happy ones.

You'd have to talk to AVIS, Enterprise, Triangle, Etc to find that out. But usually they work a weekly rate for pretty cheap. 5 occupants should be able to get a nice sedan and not to cramped.

We visited POR for an hour or so last winter and it was so beautiful that we will stay there in January!

We are bringing a high school foreign exchange student from Nigeria. Her life in Nigeria is very third-world. Everything here is new to her. She had never used a computer before, never eaten Chinese/Mexican/Italian/etc food, never been on an escalator, no shopping malls, never been swimming, never ridden a bike, and never (fill in the blank). It has been fun watching her experience new things.

Given that this will likely be her only opportunity to see Disney, I am interested in suggestions for amazing things for her to see or do, especially at POR. Is there anything that Disney does for "special" guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter