POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #8~July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
we like the 50's. we hate parking lot view. rather than say 50's lake view, we just say "building 3" (we don't do online check in). sincethe other rooms in #3 are pool view anyway, we'll get lake view.
we like either floor 1 or 2. actually prefer 2, since it's
"kind of " like a balcony.. you can stand outside your room and lean on the fence. but 2nd floor is only on eflight of stairs. so if you're on an end, you can just use the stairs.

(for us floors 3or 4 are ok the first couple days. but after that our old legs and knees and kinda tired to do all those stairs.)

which brings me to paying for preferred. I might be assigned 4th floor building 1 (50's). I might be right by the bowling pin stairs. but 4 flights of stairs are a bit much for us, so I'll still be walking back (ie, away from the food court) to the elevators.

now someone else paying only for a standard room might be on floor 4, building 1, but only one or two rooms away from the elevator but in the opposite direction.

so they actually paid less for their room than I, and yet have a shorter walk to the food court, transportation (if you use the elevator).

so we take our chance with standard. BUT ,we don't have anyone with and ecv in our party.

Who has recently done laundry at POP? I'm thinking I might be able to get away with just carryon luggage for a week with DH if I do a bit of laundry once. How long are the cycles? Are they very busy? :thanks:

I did laundry when I was there 1.5 weeks ago. It was $2.00 per load in each washing machine and dryer. Signs in the laundry room say that each cycle is 30 minutes long. I felt like the dyer was a little bit longer than that but I was also hanging out at the pool so I don't real know when I put the clothes in. I did laundry by the computer pool in 80s/90s and it was dead at 830 am.

Who has recently done laundry at POP? I'm thinking I might be able to get away with just carryon luggage for a week with DH if I do a bit of laundry once. How long are the cycles? Are they very busy? :thanks:

Do they still take quarters or is it a different system now? I am not sure if I will have time to do a load mid-week this time around. Might just try to make it without, but it depends on how hot it is (how many changes of clothing we need per day)

Eureka said:
Do they still take quarters or is it a different system now? I am not sure if I will have time to do a load mid-week this time around. Might just try to make it without, but it depends on how hot it is (how many changes of clothing we need per day)

As of June, the machines were still using quarters... :)
They had change machines in there too... have heard that sometimes they are empty (not experienced that) but you can always get change at the front desk as well!! :)

Yes. Buildings 3, 4, 5, and 6 all have rooms where the window faces Hourglass Lake, and all these buildings are considered close to Classic Hall.

Building 3 is a 50's building, 4 and 5 are the two 60's buildings, and 6 is a 70's building.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

We really aren't picky. We won't be there much...sleep, shower & breakfast. 4th floor sounds good.....I read on here that if we cut through the parking lot, that'll cut down our distance to the buses.
Yes, depending on where you are in the 80s section, it may be quicker to cut across the parking lot to the buses.

Be sure to check out the map to plan your route once you have your room assignment. It can be incredibly hard to determine the shortest path when you're actually at POP walking around. The overhead view provides a much better perspective when looking for the most efficient way to go. I don't really mind the walking, but minimizing the amount of time and energy expenditure on a trip you take every day (sometimes multiple times a day) can help.

One more thing to keep in mind: There's at least one tiny connecting path* that's not drawn on the official POP map, so just because you see grass on the map doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a little connecting path there.

*(the path that I'm speaking of is one that connects the 50s building 1 with a walkway to Classic Hall. That little path can actually be the quickest path to the buses from certain points in the 50s section. There may be other such little shortcuts that aren't on the map, so explore a little to potentially save yourself some time and energy on your trips to the buses and Classic Hall).

We stayed at AoA and took a 'Pop' over, I really love the theming.

Next time we go I would like to book here, and it's extra boosted by having the lovely AoA resort too next to it bringing in another food court which is a bonus.

One question, do they play music within each of the different areas? i.e. 50's area has music from that era, etc etc?

FD

I edited myoriginal post. I was going to say to be SURE of being close to transportation book preferred. then I saw this:

darn. it won't let me clip on the "bowing" smilie!!! aargh! good work, simba.

we had a standard room just to the right of the black dot. it was great! not far at all to either the bowling pin pool or the hippie dippy pool. not far to the food court or the bridge to AOA.

Thank you so much. Standard it is. I am getting soooooo excited. 134 days. YAY

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

One more thing to keep in mind: There's at least one tiny connecting path* that's not drawn on the official POP map, so just because you see grass on the map doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a little connecting path there.

*(the path that I'm speaking of is one that connects the 50s building 1 with a walkway to Classic Hall. That little path can actually be the quickest path to the buses from certain points in the 50s section. There may be other such little shortcuts that aren't on the map, so explore a little to potentially save yourself some time and energy on your trips to the buses and Classic Hall).

When Pop opened that path wasn't there but so many guests wore a path because it was the quickest way to get from parts of building 1 to Classic Hall. I walked that dirt path myself a few times. After awhile I guess they decided to make it a real path. That's probably why it isn't on any maps.

One question, do they play music within each of the different areas? i.e. 50's area has music from that era, etc etc?

No, I don't think the resorts have BGM (background music) playing in the room areas.

EDIT: Subsequent posters are saying there is period-specific background music in the sections. You can tell I don't recall.

Any thoughts on Pop v. Music?

We were set to book Sports until I found out about the dining issues. So it will either be Music or Pop for us.

Pop will cost only $65 more, which is fine, but I feel like it's $65 for nothing. The food is supposedly marginally better at Pop? The rooms are identical (theming doesn't matter to us). Is it really worth $65 for dedicated bus service and slightly better food options?

My only concern with Music is, it will be a mad house since the guests that usually stay at Sports will now stay at Movies or Music (end of October).

I did laundry when I was there 1.5 weeks ago. It was $2.00 per load in each washing machine and dryer. Signs in the laundry room say that each cycle is 30 minutes long. I felt like the dyer was a little bit longer than that but I was also hanging out at the pool so I don't real know when I put the clothes in. I did laundry by the computer pool in 80s/90s and it was dead at 830 am.
The machines take coins, dollars, or cc? Thanks!

Sorry I read back further & saw the answer. thanks! :)

We were set to book Sports until I found out about the dining issues. So it will either be Music or Pop for us.

Pop will cost only $65 more, which is fine, but I feel like it's $65 for nothing. The food is supposedly marginally better at Pop? The rooms are identical (theming doesn't matter to us). Is it really worth $65 for dedicated bus service and slightly better food options?

My only concern with Music is, it will be a mad house since the guests that usually stay at Sports will now stay at Movies or Music (end of October).

I'm still a Pop fan, but unfortunately money talks to me as it appears to be doing to you, and I can't help but say I'd take the $65 and stay at All-Star Music.

I stayed at All-Star Movies this month and used the pools and food courts at both Movies and Music. Both resorts were reportedly full, and at least to me it didn't seem like a madhouse.

I'm still a Pop fan, but unfortunately money talks to me as it appears to be doing to you, and I can't help but say I'd take the $65 and stay at All-Star Music.

I stayed at All-Star Movies this month and used the pools and food courts at both Movies and Music. Both resorts were reportedly full, and at least to me it didn't seem like a madhouse.

Excellent advice, thanks.

I mean, if Pop CLEARLY has some advantages then I'd have no problem with spending the extra money. But as far as I can tell, the differences between All-Stars and Pop are very minor.

Excellent advice, thanks.

I mean, if Pop CLEARLY has some advantages then I'd have no problem with spending the extra money. But as far as I can tell, the differences between All-Stars and Pop are very minor.

I think to me it's the buses and the layout. The bus situation to us at the All Stars was horrible. When we were at ASMovies a lot of times by the time the buses for the parks got to our resort from the other two, they were full or you had to squeeze on and stand. I'd pay for Pop any day just for that.

IMO, the layout of the All Stars are not as good as Pop. We booked standard at ASMovies, so it was at the end of the day what seemed like a very long walk back to our room. Or even to the food court and back to the room with our mugs. I'd do ASMovies or ASMusic if I have to because Pop's not available but only a preferred room. ASsports I'd do standard if I could hopefully get Touch Down area.

Hope that helps. ;) Oh and we always book standard at Pop, everything is just closer and seems to be laid out better.

Simba77 said:
Yes, depending on where you are in the 80s section, it may be quicker to cut across the parking lot to the buses.

Be sure to check out the map to plan your route once you have your room assignment. It can be incredibly hard to determine the shortest path when you're actually at POP walking around. The overhead view provides a much better perspective when looking for the most efficient way to go. I don't really mind the walking, but minimizing the amount of time and energy expenditure on a trip you take every day (sometimes multiple times a day) can help.

Awesome! Thank you for your suggestions :)

I've stayed at both Movies & Pop so here are a few thoughts:

1. If you are planning to eat a lot of meals at the resort I would definitely not stay at Sports or Music. I think a lot of people will walk from Sports over to Music to eat every day. That food court will probably be more of a mad house than Movies since getting to Movies will be a bus ride or long walk from Sports. I think Movies will see more people in their food court as well, but not as much as Music because off the location. If you're not planning on eating at the resort, then I'd definitely stay at Sports because it won't be as crowded as Movies or Music.

2. The buses. While the All-Stars share buses quite often, Pop Century does not (or on rare occasion they have been known to pick up people at AoA during slow times). If you stay at Pop, you will have the option of taking a bus back to Pop OR AoA as it's a quick walk across the bridge. We were at AoA last month and we took a bus to Pop on a few occasions....whenever that bus came first and/or had fewer people in line. :-)

3. Pop will offer more dining options since you can walk over to AoA. The two resorts have very different menus so there will be more options. The food courts at All Stars all tend to have very similar offerings.

Personally, for $65, I'd stay at Pop because we like it better than All Stars...but that's just us and just a personal preference. If my option was "stay at All Stars or don't go.", you better believe I'd be booking a room at Movies. :lmao:

I've stayed at both Movies & Pop so here are a few thoughts:

1. If you are planning to eat a lot of meals at the resort I would definitely not stay at Sports or Music. I think a lot of people will walk from Sports over to Music to eat every day. That food court will probably be more of a mad house than Movies since getting to Movies will be a bus ride or long walk from Sports. I think Movies will see more people in their food court as well, but not as much as Music because off the location. If you're not planning on eating at the resort, then I'd definitely stay at Sports because it won't be as crowded as Movies or Music.

2. The buses. While the All-Stars share buses quite often, Pop Century does not (or on rare occasion they have been known to pick up people at AoA during slow times). If you stay at Pop, you will have the option of taking a bus back to Pop OR AoA as it's a quick walk across the bridge. We were at AoA last month and we took a bus to Pop on a few occasions....whenever that bus came first and/or had fewer people in line. :-)

3. Pop will offer more dining options since you can walk over to AoA. The two resorts have very different menus so there will be more options. The food courts at All Stars all tend to have very similar offerings.

Personally, for $65, I'd stay at Pop because we like it better than All Stars...but that's just us and just a personal preference. If my option was "stay at All Stars or don't go.", you better believe I'd be booking a room at Movies. :lmao:

Really great advice, thanks.

We will be eating breakfasts at the resort, lunches at the park, and dinners usually at the parks but possibly at the resort if we get tired.

I didn't think about walking over to AoA, that is a great point.

The bus issue is important, as you point out. But I guess I'm thinking of our last stay when Sports had dedicated bus service, so I don't know what it's like to possibly share bus service with the other All-Stars - I imagine it's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter