Please rate the terror factor of Splash Mountain

Terror Factor

• Total voters
Well, I voted scary but not the scariest. That is mostly from the anticipation of the drop rather than how the drop actually is. I rode a couple of weeks ago with a friend's nieces, the youngest (9) did not want to go because she does not like scary rides. Must not have been too bad because an hour later she was ready to ride it again and even had her arms in the air for the picture. So I would say it is fun scary (& the rest of the ride is soooo worth it). Every time I get off it I wonder why I always think of it as scary. Hope you can enjoy it!

My teenage daughter loved Mine Train but the drop at Splash Mountain terrified her. Go figure. The entire ride leading up to that last drop is just a delight, though! I loved it and will go on it as often as possible. (My inadvertent strategy: the very first ride I did on the last trip was ToT for the first time. Everything after that was easy. Ha!)

There is no "air time" on Splash Mountain; you will not come up out of your seat. There isn't the climb beforehand to allow gravity to work in this way. It is not a drop like Tower of Terror at all. You come up out of your seat on that ride because "a body in motion tends to stay in motion." It's the physics. You are suddenly changing directions and that never happens on Splash.

To address your plus-sized concerns...don't worry. It is a comfy ride for all. (Unless of course you are worried about whether or not you get wet. ). And a little tip...if you don't want to get wet, be on the left side of the log as you face forward. Then, it is more likely that the person next to you might get stuck near the waterfall after the drop.

Also, if you have plus-size concerns, let me start by saying, don't. Disney is by far the most accommodating of any park I have ever visited. Feel free comfortable to ride anything and everything. Also, check out the "Everything Pooh-sized" thread. It will ease your mind!

That's why I was wondering initially if the ground was just pulled out from beneath you. Then I felt like it would have been a little more like TOT where you're up and out of your seat. As to the fit, I've been to DW five or six times, but when she was asking me about Splash, I couldn't give her any info on the fit since I hadn't ridden it. I know for me, the only thing I've noticed the fit was small in was the teacups, but that's because I have long legs, I think. It feels like my knees are around my ears. LOL It's very hard to get out of for me.

Yes! I'm a bit of a ride chicken, but I love BTMR and even EE.. but DH flat out refuses to ride Splash because of the drop (well, and the wet factor). I've never actually been on it myself, but I'm hoping to remedy that in the near future. Even though it DOES look terrifying.

Funny story though. A few years ago, we went to IoA for the first time. I had never been, but DH had been several years before. Keep in mind that we had done ZERO planning/research as it was a spur of the moment trip. Well, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, so we had to ride the ride. DH insisted that he remembered it, and it was just a boat ride, ala Jungle Cruise or whatnot. I have still not forgiven him for that drop. My own fault, really, for not having a clue.. but I do take great pleasure in pointing out that the JP drop is higher than Splash.

JP is way worse!

I kind of wish Splash didn't have the drop. It's just a log flume drop so nothing exciting but I don't enjoy it. But I love the rest of the ride so I endure it.

No coming out of your seat AT ALL in Splash, for any size person. The drop just isn't steep or fast enough to give you that "stomach floating up" feeling in any way. The worst thing about Splash is, IMO, the sound of people screaming and the sight of the drop- it is not nearly as scary as it looks (or sounds).
My stomach floats on all the drops on Splash. You won't know how you'll react until you ride it.

One of those rides that looks scarier than it is, I just went on it again recently and that was cool to go on again. Last time I was at MK before this time it was under maintenance

If you loved ToT, Splash is a piece of cake. I did ToT with my sister on my trips with her, but have not done it on my solo trips - ToT is about the limit of my scare tolerance. Everest was super-scary for me (kind of fun, glad I did it, but super-scary!). I like BTMRR (kind of warming up to it), LOVE 7DMT (yeah, it could be longer, but it's about my perfect thrill level). I'm in that small camp that thinks Barnstormer is in a way more intense than BTMRR and certainly 7DMT, because of Barnstormer's tight footprint and the fact that you are on bare metal rails up in the air. I will not do Space or RnR because Dark and Upsidedown are not my cup of tea.

Splash is wonderful, belongs on any list of the best attractions, songs, story, animatronics, fun-level (not scary) thrills. I moved this year's trip from Feb to April because I was tired of Splash being down for refurb when I went and I missed it. If you like coasters and ToT, you should be fine.

Well my daughter has been in love with this ride since she was barely 40" and 3 years old. I would never have thought that there was a fear factor associated with this ride lol. She rode it 6 times without getting off at last years MNSSHP. I say go for it! It's classic and incredible!

If you are a coaster fan, then no, it is not terrifying at all.

I view coasters in three Levels: 1-suitable for toddlers, 2-suitable for children, 3-fun for coaster addicts. So for me, the Barnstormer is a level 1 and Space, 7DMT and BTMRR are level 2. However, it is too much of a drop to say that it is on par with any other rides in the kingdom. None of the other rides have a drop. Hills-yes, drops-no. (See-that is a coaster addict talking! ;) ) I would say that the hill in POTC is as thrilling as dumbo.

I agree with other posters in that non-coaster fans endure it because the rest of the ride is so cute. My son loves the ride but hates the drop. I think everyone should try it once. :)

I view coasters in three Levels: 1-suitable for toddlers, 2-suitable for children, 3-fun for coaster addicts. So for me, the Barnstormer is a level 1 and Space, 7DMT and BTMRR are level 2. However, it is too much of a drop to say that it is on par with any other rides in the kingdom. None of the other rides have a drop. Hills-yes, drops-no. (See-that is a coaster addict talking! ;) ) I would say that the hill in POTC is as thrilling as dumbo.

I agree with other posters in that non-coaster fans endure it because the rest of the ride is so cute. My son loves the ride but hates the drop. I think everyone should try it once. :)
POTC: this made me laugh because my son used to just roll his eyes when i would cringe and hunker down for the drop on pirates. now i'm better about it. what a chicken, right? !! btw, which drop is bigger, kali or potc???

OP--please, please,please give Splash a try! I can't ever imagine myself getting on ToT but Splash is my all time favorite ride. Yep the drop looks intimidating, but it's over in like 2 seconds. It never feels like you are going to fall out. The inside is just beautiful and it is in no way just a climb to the top and drop log ride, and like all Disney attractions there is a story. The view from several spots when you are outside is amazing, including the big hill. I know that when we ride and are back down to the bottom we laugh and then get to go back in for the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah song, it's just the happiest feeling ever. For me it truly is a laughing place. If you can handle ToT and other coasters, this will be a piece of cake.

I hate drops. Love coasters, upside down, fast, curvy, and huge drops in coasters are FINE, but King's Island's Drop Zone (now called Drop Tower, I believe) was the most terrifying ride I've ever been on.

I can't ride that and I love splash. I think the drop is similar to a first drop on a small coaster. My stomach jumps a little but I hang on and I can hook my feet under the seat in front too and I do fine.

You should try it at least once. I’m chicken and I managed through ToT, Space, Splash, Everest, and RnR. Splash was my favorite. I came back for more! It has 2 drops, 1 bigger than the other but the drops will be over before you know it. Otherwise, it was a slow water ride.

For me, it has definitely gotten better with age. I was terrified of that drop when I was younger. Now, at 34, it doesn't bother me at all. I still scream like a little girl, but it's more for fun than anything else. This is my sister and I on it in December. Yes, December. It was freaking cold out, and I rode it anyway. Because for me, no trip to MK is complete without riding it! And I'm the nut in the front lol
ry%3D400

OP--please, please,please give Splash a try! I can't ever imagine myself getting on ToT but Splash is my all time favorite ride. Yep the drop looks intimidating, but it's over in like 2 seconds. It never feels like you are going to fall out. The inside is just beautiful and it is in no way just a climb to the top and drop log ride, and like all Disney attractions there is a story. The view from several spots when you are outside is amazing, including the big hill. I know that when we ride and are back down to the bottom we laugh and then get to go back in for the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah song, it's just the happiest feeling ever. For me it truly is a laughing place. If you can handle ToT and other coasters, this will be a piece of cake.

You've talked me into it :D Will be taking my daughter along with our newbies. Looking forward to it now!

I don't know if I'm truly mis-remembering, but honestly Barnstormer was, to us, a little wilder than 7DMT. We've ridden both multiple times and love them both (perfect for my daughter's age - I usually prefer something more like EE). But it just seemed like Barnstormer, although very short, was a little more "thrilling", so I debated if I shouldn't do 7DMT for my 3yo's first ride as she's pretty adamant about riding one.

I'm in that small camp that thinks Barnstormer is in a way more intense than BTMRR and certainly 7DMT, because of Barnstormer's tight footprint and the fact that you are on bare metal rails up in the air.

Right! We feel that way too. It just seems like more force is pushing down on you, plus it seems faster. We love it, but I almost wonder if 7DMT isn't a better "first" coaster. Our second child (who will be turning three when we're there and meets height requirements for both) really wants to ride one. Our first daughter waited till she was five.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter