Please rate the terror factor of Splash Mountain

Terror Factor

• Total voters
My feelings - I broke my neck back in 06. I am fine, no big deal now but back then, I couldn't ride a "thrill ride". This was the one I missed the most. I so wanted to ride everything but the drop. Because all the rest is so wonderful. Yes, there is that one drop and the entire attraction is set up for that one effect. There's SO much more! Since I can ride again, I find it very interesting with new people who think it's just, "get in the log, go out on the water, go up a hill and then go down." Nope. It's one of the longest Disney attractions so relax and, trust me, you will know when that long drop is coming. But, not after you've had a lot of fun with everything else. Oh - and after that drop - more fun.

Great post! I was wondering this myself, but i'm such a ride wimp :rolleyes: the most exciting one I went on was Soarin' for the first time last summer.

I think Khali River Rapids has a more intense drop than Splash Mountain :tongue:

I had no idea about this. We've never got to do Kali mainly b/c of time or too cold , but it didn't look scary at all to me. And I've looked at both videos. It's hard to judge the "my stomach's coming out of the top of my skull" feeling from a youtube video though.

It's hard to vote but I'd place it in between Choices 1 & 2. I did vote for 2: "A little thrill, but no more than flying on Dumbo". The drop is not at all the type where you fly up out of your seat or lose your stomach. I guess I would describe it as a steep glide, like a slide. You most definitely do not feel like you might fall out. The anticipation of how much water you're going to get splashed with is the biggest thrill rather than the big "drop". If you're okay with Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain will be very enjoyable (and not scary) for you. The theming of Splash Mountain is so awesome and adorable -- you definitely must give it a try! The drop on Splash Mountain appears much worse when watching than it actually is when you're in the log. :)

So, would you say that an average-sized person would not come up out of their seat at the drop? I know TOT I definitely did. Not that it's a total dealbreaker, I just want to be aware. It's my least favorite part of thrill rides, the moment where you're flying up, up, and away and you're grateful for the slamming back down, but it's also not super comfortable.

Great post! I was wondering this myself, but i'm such a ride wimp :rolleyes: the most exciting one I went on was Soarin' for the first time last summer.
My little girl was terrified when it was time to get on this, so we left right before boarding. The next year, it was her favorite ride. :)

I can't joke really because scream like a girl on Tower of Terror

I do this thing when I'm on a good thrill ride where I can't stop laughing. There's no more oxygen to scream because I'm just cackling with my mouth wide open, probably having drool fly out or something. :tongue::laughing:

My DH won't ride thrill rides and I can't convince him to ride Splash. He loves animatronics and so I know he would love every part of it but the drop. To someone who doesn't like thrill stuff, that drop looks huge and scary.

Yes! I'm a bit of a ride chicken, but I love BTMR and even EE.. but DH flat out refuses to ride Splash because of the drop (well, and the wet factor). I've never actually been on it myself, but I'm hoping to remedy that in the near future. Even though it DOES look terrifying.

Funny story though. A few years ago, we went to IoA for the first time. I had never been, but DH had been several years before. Keep in mind that we had done ZERO planning/research as it was a spur of the moment trip. Well, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, so we had to ride the ride. DH insisted that he remembered it, and it was just a boat ride, ala Jungle Cruise or whatnot. I have still not forgiven him for that drop. My own fault, really, for not having a clue.. but I do take great pleasure in pointing out that the JP drop is higher than Splash.

So, would you say that an average-sized person would not come up out of their seat at the drop? I know TOT I definitely did. Not that it's a total dealbreaker, I just want to be aware. It's my least favorite part of thrill rides, the moment where you're flying up, up, and away and you're grateful for the slamming back down, but it's also not super comfortable.
No coming out of your seat AT ALL in Splash, for any size person. The drop just isn't steep or fast enough to give you that "stomach floating up" feeling in any way. The worst thing about Splash is, IMO, the sound of people screaming and the sight of the drop- it is not nearly as scary as it looks (or sounds).

Highly unlikely you'll come up out of the seat, which is good because there are no seat belts (if memory serves). It's a very gentle ride, with a couple of predatory dips to build up excitement. However, there is a pyschological buildup to "turn back" before the final drop, which is only about 45 degrees and lasts maybe 3 seconds. As someone put it, it's a watery glide, not a drop. You will be in danger of being soaked...which isn't bad on a hot summer day.

I find BTMRR to be more intense.

Highly unlikely you'll come up out of the seat, which is good because there are no seat belts (if memory serves). It's a very gentle ride, with a couple of predatory dips to build up excitement. However, there is a pyschological buildup to "turn back" before the final drop, which is only about 45 degrees and lasts maybe 3 seconds. As someone put it, it's a watery glide, not a drop. You will be in danger of being soaked...which isn't bad on a hot summer day.

I find BTMRR to be more intense.
I think there is a lap bar now. Added to the logs in the last year or so, if I remember correctly??

There is no "air time" on Splash Mountain; you will not come up out of your seat. There isn't the climb beforehand to allow gravity to work in this way. It is not a drop like Tower of Terror at all. You come up out of your seat on that ride because "a body in motion tends to stay in motion." It's the physics. You are suddenly changing directions and that never happens on Splash.

To address your plus-sized concerns...don't worry. It is a comfy ride for all. (Unless of course you are worried about whether or not you get wet. ). And a little tip...if you don't want to get wet, be on the left side of the log as you face forward. Then, it is more likely that the person next to you might get stuck near the waterfall after the drop.

Also, if you have plus-size concerns, let me start by saying, don't. Disney is by far the most accommodating of any park I have ever visited. Feel free comfortable to ride anything and everything. Also, check out the "Everything Pooh-sized" thread. It will ease your mind!

Last edited:
I think there is a lap bar now. Added to the logs in the last year or so, if I remember correctly??

I believe you are correct. Never paid much attention to it as I consider the ride on par with POTC but with a short "drop" in which I usually get pretty wet.

The drop isn't even a drop. I may be misremembering it, because I haven't been on it in awhile, but you're basically sliding down a ramp. it's not a free-fall situation. For many years, there weren't even any restraints on the ride. I thought it was over amazingly quickly. Count to three and you're at the bottom.

It's kind of like POTC, but with a taller and longer slide.

The drop is too short to have time to be scared. The scary part is the anticipation of just climbing the final hill. I always brace myself, and its so fun right when you touch down.

Yes! I'm a bit of a ride chicken, but I love BTMR and even EE.. but DH flat out refuses to ride Splash because of the drop (well, and the wet factor). I've never actually been on it myself, but I'm hoping to remedy that in the near future. Even though it DOES look terrifying.

Funny story though. A few years ago, we went to IoA for the first time. I had never been, but DH had been several years before. Keep in mind that we had done ZERO planning/research as it was a spur of the moment trip. Well, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, so we had to ride the ride. DH insisted that he remembered it, and it was just a boat ride, ala Jungle Cruise or whatnot. I have still not forgiven him for that drop. My own fault, really, for not having a clue.. but I do take great pleasure in pointing out that the JP drop is higher than Splash.

IoA is what ride? Sounds WWAAYY out of my league :P

An average adult will not lift out of their seat on Splash. Maybe a child would a little, like a tiny bounce, but not even remotely close to TOT!...not an actual lifting out of the seat moment! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter