Phrases you hate

These aren't necessarly phrases, but these are just a few of the many words i hate. Playdate, bling awesome amazing is slowly getting to me as well. Why does everything have to be amazing. Selfie hate the word and hate when people take them in cars. Old school is another i hate.

I find myself saying 'no problem' sometimes when someone says thanks. I think the French version 'de rien' translates as 'it was nothing'. If someone doesn't like it, I don't really care. (We speak French a lot at home because I have two DDs who have studied French for years.)

Me too. No problem to me is a short version of "it was really no problem at all for me to do that for you", and as you say it can also be thought of as "it was nothing" or "think no more about it" etc. It's just a way of letting people know that you were happy to do it, that it wasn't the least bit problematic. It's particularly good at putting people at ease if they were feeling like they asked too much of you in the first place, or were feeling badly about asking the favour.

It is definitely more casual than "you're welcome", and there are times when "you're welcome" is the better choice.

Sadly I find I'm easily irritated so there are a lot.

From Facebook
"just saying...."
"feel free to unfriend me"

And there are about a hundred work related ones that make me cringe.

"onboarding" or orientation
"drill down" or figure out what went wrong
"stakeholders" or other people who need to care about this issue but probably don't
"community partners" same as above
"empower" or convince someone else to take care of this
"align resources" or your benefits are getting cut

Sometimes I roll my eyes so hard during the day I'm afraid they won't come back down.

The work ones are the worst- synergy, elevator speech. My biggest work-related pet peeve is when a speaker tries to draw you in with an emotional story and attempts to tear up on cue. Hate, hate, hate that. Have seen too many people tell the same story over and over and get all choked up at the exact same spot. Ugh!

My daughter just started a new job.

For the first 2 weeks, she was assigned to "orientate" with someone.
I told her she should just "orient" with them.

I've posted before about the improper use of the pronoun "I".
As in, "He gave a gift to my husband and I" - instead of ". . . my husband and me.".

In color. As in I have a car for sale that is white in color.

Are you sure it's not white in length? Just say it's white!

I have a co-worker to says "you know" at the end of almost every sentence. Blah, blah, blah, you know. No, I don't know.

I find the following phrases cringe worthy:

bucket list
ticks all the boxes
good bones
pops of color (or anything that "pops")
per se
cringe worthy

Me too. No problem to me is a short version of "it was really no problem at all for me to do that for you", and as you say it can also be thought of as "it was nothing" or "think no more about it" etc. It's just a way of letting people know that you were happy to do it, that it wasn't the least bit problematic. It's particularly good at putting people at ease if they were feeling like they asked too much of you in the first place, or were feeling badly about asking the favour.

It is definitely more casual than "you're welcome", and there are times when "you're welcome" is the better choice.

Here's the thing...as a customer I couldn't really care less if you see doing your job (answering my questions, ringing my purchase through, taken my order and delivering my food to the table, etc.) as "a problem". It does not impress me at all that you graciously let me off the hook for the inconvenience. And by saying thank you I am politely acknowledging your attention as part of normal social convention, not apologizing for having put you out.

May I add some more?

"cool beans" maybe I'm just too old for this one, don't get it
"white whine" if this were in reference to any other race it would be condemned
"first world problem" we never have the right to complain about anything since we have clean drinking water

I came up with a few that i forgot in my earlier post.

I hate the phrase''with all due respect''. because it is inevitably followed by a disrespectful comment.

Can you imagine Lincoln writing the gettysburg address in the style that todays humans use. I bet it would sound something like this.

'' four score and, like seven years ago our forefathers , like brought fourth upon this continent, like a new nation, you know''?

Good god the things that come out of peoples mouths these days makes me cringe.

Most of my pet peeves about language are about grammar, especially poor grammar from public speakers such as TV newsreaders and reporters and publicity-hungry politicians, such as using "they" to refer to a single person. "Police report that the suspect was arrested at their grandmother's home where they hid in the basement." Whose grandmother? The suspect's? The Police Chief's? And who was hiding in the basement? The police or the suspect?

And my least favorite phrase is an apology in the passive voice and/or including the word "but." " I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but..." My feelings didn't get hurt all by themselves, YOU hurt them! And a sincere apology never includes a qualifier. One is either sorry or not. Ideally, an apology includes ownership of the act requiring an apology, sincere remorse, and a promise (pledge? vow?) to do better (for lack of a better phrase). "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings with my rude remarks about your cooking. I know you work hard to prepare healthful, tasty meals for your family and I'll be more respectful in the future."

This is a long post but I feel strongly about both issues.

Queen Colleen

I have a co-worker to says "you know" at the end of almost every sentence. Blah, blah, blah, you know. No, I don't know.

Uh-huh... Yeah... Uh-huh... MmHmm... Blah, blah, blah, you know... MmHmm... Really... MmHmm... Oh my gosh... Are you serious?... That's AWESOME!!!

Thought of another one...

Hubby. Makes me cringe every time I hear it or read it.

Just heard another one on the TV: try and. The "and" implies that one will be successful, where in reality there is no guarantee of success. The phrase is "try to," implying that one will make the effort but with no guarantee of success. Am I a pain the the patoot or what?

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter