Overused words and phrases

Eh it's considered nonstandard or incorrect by most dictionaries, so I consider it incorrect :upsidedow

Merriam-Webster concurs with you to avoid using! :)

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I have a relative who has a nervous tick where they say the word SO anytime they run out of things to say or there is a pause in the conversation almost like they are adding it as the last word to every sentence.

How was your trip, so? I haven't been to Disneyworld in years, so. Did you ride the teacups, so?

I don't think they know they are doing it as often as they do, but it drives me bonkers.

My brother's girlfriend uses "So" all the time! And now I notice the word all the time. She will say "So, I dropped the kids off and they ran off to play. So.....(huge pause) So, well I guess."

"Well I guess" is the other one that she says all the freakin' time. I wish that girl would just shut her mouth.

AWESOME
Whatevs (hate this one it is not a word..whatever is annoying but this one is like fingernails on a chalkboard....sad to realize a generation from now no one will know what that means..most schools have white boards now)

I TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY agree with "To make a long story short" I groan whenever I hear it and my DH uses it way too often

TOTALLY & ABSOLUTELY (In case anyone missed the humor)

Merriam-Webster concurs with you to avoid using! :)

Awesome makes me cringe. It probably goes back at least 15 years ago in church when the pastor said that "Awesome" isn't a word that is really meant to be used lightly. It's used to describe something magnificent.

Also, ridiculous abbreviations and quirky spellings on the computer/text/real life. It can't be that difficult to type "You" instead of "U", or "Girl" instead of "gurl". Plus, LOL after EVERY comment? I somehow find it had to believe that people are laughing out loud each time they write something, unless they're high.

"Karma"

I can't stand that when anything bad ever happens to anyone, it's because of karma. We already have perfectly good sayings in the English language to describe this situation anyway: "you reap what you sow", and "what comes around goes around". Why do we need to borrow terminology from an Eastern religion to say the same thing?

I hate when people quote something they agree with on these boards and just write. "This". What, it's too much effort to write first "I agree with...."

And how about when people want to discuss a topic and they say "I can speak to that". You can speak "TO" it?? How can you speak to something that is abstract?? How about you speak TO people ABOUT it???

cherry. I work with a guy who says cherry for everything.
"did you see that car? It was so cherry."

But seriously really, I need to literally get a new vocabulary. Lol.

I am guilty of over using LOL, OMG, !!!, and awesome.

*hangs head in shame* :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

Apparently I have annoying habit of saying "seriously". Never knew I did until my mother and daughter pointed it out. :laughing:

wicked
It was wicked cool seeing you.....
that was wicked fun...... etc etc...

Corporate sayings make me sick:

On the Same page

At the end of the day.. barf! :scared:

:

These drive me crazy! I'd actually like to add:
Managing expectations
Thinking outside the bOX

The three that come to my mind all happen to come out of my husband's mouth. Makes me want to ring his neck everytime he says them!

1. "irregardless" Yeah, that's not a word.
2. When he's talking to someone he'll keep saying, "Like I said..." Except, he usually didn't say.
3. "One half does the other" he keeps telling me this is one of those sayings, yet I've never heard anyone say it. Nor do I understand what the heck it's supposed to mean (if anyone does, please feel free to explain it to me). I think he's saying it wrong.:confused3

Maybe "One hand washes the other" ?

wicked
It was wicked cool seeing you.....
that was wicked fun...... etc etc...

My DS6 has been saying "wicked cool" since he first saw the Incredibles at around age 3... Most recently at Disneyland after stepping off the Haunted Mansion for the first time....That time I thought it worked in a weird way.

There are plenty of other things I say that I'm sure annoy people, but they're not particularly family friendly. ;)

Ones. 'These ones'. 'Those ones'. Heck, I even take issue with 'which ones'. We have suddenly become a people obsessed with inserting the word 'ones' into sentences. And the dangling 'at' makes me crazy, too. "Where are you at?" Nope. "Where are you?" works just fine. No need to add that 'at' at all.

Oh, and while we're chatting about it, where did the word 'healthy' go? When did it become 'healthful?' As a kid, my cereal was healthy. Now it's healthful. I miss healthy.

Great thread!

I say seriously all the time....
I also say all the time you've got to be kidding....

I say seriously all the time....
I also say all the time you've got to be kidding....

So let me get this straight:

1. Seriously
2. You've got to be kidding
3. All the time. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

There are plenty of other things I say that I'm sure annoy people, but they're not particularly family friendly. ;)

Me too, I've picked up a certain word from Billie Joe that would get be thrown out of here. :scared1:

As a joke my DH and I use "legendary" all the time. We got it from Barney on How I met your mother.

But you can't just say "legendary". You have to do it like this:

It was,

LEGEND................

wait for it................

hope you're not lactose intolerant.................

DAIRY!!!

We do it all the time and we still find it funny. I'm sure if anyone overheard us they would have us committed.

I'm also guilty of "so" and "such". But with me it's "I'm SO hungry. I have SUCH a headache. I don't know how that started? Why can't I just be regular hungry or have a normal headache?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter