Overused words and phrases

Hot Mess
As If
Whatever
Yucky
Icky

Not really phrases but I hate when people type DH DD DS DM DMIL DB and so on and so on. I don't know anyone in real life you calls there family dear

I agree with "could care less" - I mean that just doesn't make sense.

Ressies. They are reservations. I've worked in the food service industry for 10 years. Not one single person I've met working has ever said that. Just guests. And it makes our skin crawl.

Or for that matter Appies (for appetizers)

My mother's husband has no sense of tense. As in "we drive down the shore last week." No, you drove. The down the shore doesn't bother me for some reason :)

Winner. Ugh. What really bothers me is I can't say this anymore or I look like a *******. I used to use phrases like "no Doug, you can't have meatballs, meatballs are for winners" just to be obtuse to my BF but now I just look like I watch a lot of TV if I do that.

My grandmother used to pronounce Italy as "It-Ly" though it drove me nuts at the time I'd give anything to hear her say it again.

phrases I LOVE include:
poppycock
snowball's chance in hell
sweating like a ***** in church

(these are all courtesy of my late grandfather, who was really just awesome. and I mean that as awe-inspiring.)

iRonic----Overused and misused. My skin crawls every time I hear it.

Blame Alanis.

The vast majority of that song is unfortunate, not ironic, and having 10,000 spoon when all you need is a knife is just crappy planning.

Actually, writing a song with that title while having such a lose grasp on the definition of the word is more ironic then anything in the song itself. I'm surprised the follow-up hit wasn't a song titled Hyperbole that just understates a bunch of stuff.

For me, it is "That is wrong on so many levels." Ugh. Can you think of a more original way to express it, or else please do explain all these levels you refer to. It just makes me want to smack someone.

Luckily I don't see/hear it as often lately.

Blame Alanis.

The vast majority of that song is unfortunate, not ironic, and having 10,000 spoon when all you need is a knife is just crappy planning.

Actually, writing a song with that title while having such a lose grasp on the definition of the word is more ironic then anything in the song itself. I'm surprised the follow-up hit wasn't a song titled Hyperbole that just understates a bunch of stuff.

I totally agree that people misuse "ironic". Here is what I tell people:

If you are in the supermarket and run into a co-worker, that is not ironic, that is a coincidence.

If a man works 50 years for the railroad without incident, and after he retires he takes a trip by train and is hit and killed by the train, that is irony.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this. :confused3

Blame Alanis.

Ummm...FD...The word the poster used was ICONIC. :lmao:

....all of these overused phrases are 'SO five minutes ago'.....but that's a 'whole nuther story'....

I may be way off here, but the difference between "healthful" and "healthy" was explained to me (by an English major/book & magazine editor) like this:

Healthful things (food, exercise, vitamins, less stress, etc.) are the means to make living things (humans, animals, plant life, etc.) healthy.

Does that make sense?

Queen Colleen

Politcally Correct or PC.

Sick of it, because usually it's really not.

Oh, I hate that one, too. There are some cases where it's OK, but usually it's used to say "I'm going to say something offensive right now, but I'm going to try to look like less of a jerk by pretending there is something wrong with all the nice people who will be offended by my remark." :rotfl:

Can't stand the word "hater", either. It's usually used to mean "I can't come up with a valid way to express my disagreement, so I will try to discredit your opinion by calling you names". :rotfl:

Is that a regional thing? Oh my gawd, it was wicked awesome! (or wicked pissah!)

Yes it is.... Never realized it was, just thought everyone said it. Now the only time I hear Oh My Gawd, is when I'm with my family from Fall River.

I agree with the PP when people say "Yous" :lmao: I really think it is a regional thing. I am guilty of the phrase "I can't" ...when someone is telling me a story about something/someone that is ridiculous, my response is usually "I can't"...:lmao:

Yes it is.... Never realized it was, just thought everyone said it. Now the only time I hear Oh My Gawd, is when I'm with my family from Fall River.

Fall River, yep my hometown...also noted for "Yous", "Mout" "teet" where the heck did the h's go? :lmao:

Never heard the phrase "ON THE SPECTRUM" until I saw it on the Dis. It hasn't been used too much lately, but last year....good golly! :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter