Overused words and phrases

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
My DH, a cousin and I have a running joke where we ring a bell (usually by pretending to tap one, if we are with each other, or by texting the word "ding" to each other if we are not) every time any one of us is around my older sister who uses one particular word ad nauseum when she is talking.

The word?.........LITERALLY.

It drives us mad. MAD I tell you! Everything is "Literally the hardest thing she's ever done" or every story has her "literally laughing her butt off." One time she even said she "almost literally had a heart attack."

Really? Almost literally? :lmao:

So it lead me to review some other overused (and often misused words and phrases). Here are just a few (of which I am guilty of using).

LIKE......as in "it's, like, so hot outside."

AMAZING...generally overused by youth to describe things they like. "Those shoes are amazing", "your hair is amazing" etc.

SERIOUSLY...guilty as charged. Often used as a response to something I think is unbelievable. Like when someone says something racist or ignorant. As in, I can't believe you'd say something like that.

Go on, add to the list (and it's all in good fun). DH put his foot down on me when I he couldn't stand my overuse of the word "INTIMATE" (pronounced in-tuh-mate...as in to imply or suggest)

No online or text-speak. We ALL can agree that LOL, OMG, LMAO etc are all overused and that's a whole 'nuther ball o'wax. This is conversational things.

IT'S NOT OKAY...

NOT SO MUCH...

MEH...

just adding a few more!

So or most often -soooooooo

over or over it

Bonus points if you're" soooooooo over" something

Mine is LOL

I can't help myself. I put it in every sentence. I am making a real effort while typing this to not type "lol" at the end of each sentence. I REALLY want to....

and Definitely

My 10 yo and her cohorts insert "technically" into so many sentences where it technically does not belong.

OMG and whatever. Please for the love of God find something else to say!

1.) Any hoo

2.) proverbial

3.) step up to the plate

4.) bling

5.) Winning!

6.) Or Lack thereof (Just say lack of!!)

Snowflake and helicopter parent. My BP goes sky high every time I hear these words. Well, see them actually here on the Dis. No one I know uses them.

It is what it is. (no kidding?!)

Welcome to my world.

In the interest of full disclosure, these sentences bug me because I find myself using them too often. At the ripe old age of 64, I'm trying to expand my vocabulary.

Queen Colleen

I can't stand extra letters added to anything, especially consonants.

Vowels I can manage, like "soooooo" in the post above really doesn't bother me. But this is what I can't stand:

I'm so boredddddd

Happy Birthdayyyyy

I see it mostly of Facebook from the younger set.

Fail, win, epic, and any of those "trendy" words kind of drive me crazy too, but I am slowly starting to use them!

Nasty

My daughters know I hate the word so they like to add it into sentences to make me shudder.

AMAZING!

That word drives me crazy. Everybody uses it, this is amazing, that is amazing.

I never heard the word hardly used , now its everywhere and IMOP, soooo over used!

"At the end of the day"...

DH and I look at each other and chuckle everytime someone uses this to make a point. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter