• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Overpackers Anonymous

Apparently it's genetic! "Tinkerbell" brought my girls rolling backpacks last night to use as carry-ons for our trip (6 days!!!:banana: ). They've been stuffing those things all morning. :rotfl: It's quite a collection of treasures.:lmao:

I think you win hands down. ... And a dish too. Wow! I was going to tell how much I pack, but I gave up when I saw your post. You rock.:cool1:
Thanks? :confused3 I'm not sure this is something I should be proud of..
It's funny. When I travel for business, I can get 3-4 days out of a carry on. When it's vacation, it literally takes the camper to haul everything.
We went to Mexico two years ago for our anniversary and 3 of our 5 bags (for 2 adults and an 8 year old) got "HEAVY" tags on them and I had to pay extra for 2 of them. :worship:

j

Me too! I'm so guilty of overpacking it's not even funny! I take 3 suitcases for myself and then 3 for my daughter (she is 4). In my defense though the last thing I want to do on vacation is laundry! Sure it's a hassle to have to take all those clothes and bags but that way I know I'm not going to get stuck giving up precious Disney time to wash!

Hello my name is Ana and I am married to an overpacker. I, on the other hand, am a underpacker. I used to travel a lot for work, so I know the power of quick dry materials, travel size Tide and an sink. Now, I know that many people don't want to be bothered with such things, but I used to love not having to check bags. Anyway, my DH will pack for every type of weather imaginable. I pack one hoodie jacket, for in case and one outfit per day. I still do pack my Tide and will wash if I have to. Hubby will bring one very large, very heavy backpack with camera stuff. Another very large,very heavy laptop case, two suitcases. He will also pack other stuff in the kids' suitcases. We don't fly Spirit because I can't afford to pay per bag.

Ummmm.... I think I need to go suitcase shopping tomorrow. :rotfl: I just started packing the piles of stuff that have been accumulating on my guest bed for the last month. I have filled our large suitcase, small suitcase, and large duffel. We only have one small suitcase left, and I still need to pack socks, underwear, and PJs (after I spend tomorrow doing laundry! :laundy: ) and extra shoes. Oh, and that's just for DD5, DD2 and myself. I haven't packed ANYTHING for DH. I suppose he'll want some clothes, too. :rolleyes1

OMG!! I have found my soulmates! We just got back on the 2nd from a week at POR, and for our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) we had 7 suitcases (yes, I really tried to edit!) and 3 back packs, and 2 carry ons. I really should have thrown an extra duffle in for the trip home. I had to leave things behind (my old pop-up hamper, and bottles of water/diet coke, paper plates.)

I really identified with this one...

Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave
We somehow manage to pretty much fill a medium size suitcase every trip just with the toiletries and medicine cabinet things. Last year, we would have been covered for diarrhea, heartburn, acid reflux (no, not one bottle of pepto, a different medicine for each), blisters, cuts, sunburns, amputations, gray hair, headaches, hemorrhoids, colds, flu -- oh my goodness, I can't believe all the things we packed. It was like shipping a Walgreens to Florida.

The only bag that was inspected on the way to Florida had my medication "box", all of the snacks, detergents, and coffee/drink mixes.

Two of the best things that I learned from the Disboards was to bring a pop-up hamper, and also bring something to hold toiletries (we stayed at POR where they have that narrow shelf in the bathroom). What I brought was a metal "CD basket" and it held everything very neatly. I was also very grateful that I had my own Walgreens in my room, since my MIL seemed to need lots, and my son threw up one morning. Also, eating out for a week with lots of ice cream and no veggies so to speak wreaks havoc with your tummy, so it was nice to have the pepto.

I have learned that it is ok to not pack light (as long as you have Magical Express!) so that you are not left wishing for what you left behind!

OMG!! I have found my soulmates!

I have learned that it is ok to not pack light (as long as you have Magical Express!) so that you are not left wishing for what you left behind!

Gotta love that Magical Express! We will take a big suitcase per person (3 of us) and one medium/large suitcase with toiletries and food items. Probably large for this so it gives me that room when coming back for souvies!

It's nice to know I'm normal!

...and I too am an overpacker! (Hi Jen:wave2: )

We're a family of 3....our son is 5....we still take 2 bags for him, just in case. When we fly, we fly with the maximum baggage (6 suitcases), just in case. I pack tote bags and backpacks in the suitcase just in case. We all take carryons!! (That's 9 bags for 2 adults and one small child....porters :love: us in airports!) We have one bag packed for our August trip already.....a suitcase full of the stuff for my son's Gift Bag from Mickey...and I have negotiated a "beginning packing date" with my husband for when I am allowed to start packing the suitcases for that trip (July 1st, if anyone cares!). I have 2 saddlebags to put on our son's stroller for the parks. Plus hubby will have a backpack. And a small soft cooler for water (it IS August afterall!) I also have a bungee cord and several carabiner clips to attach various necessities to the back of the stroller. I have VERY WELL thought out vacation plans neatly organized in a binder....I made the binder about 10 months ago.

In addition, I just booked a secret mommy-son trip for November, and told my husband "when it starts to get cold, I don't have to put away all of the summer clothes...I can just start packing for Disney!" I was excited by this prospect. I think I scared him a little bit.

On the other hand, when someone exclaims...."Gee, I really wish I had a left handed monkey wrench with a reverse threaded octagonal nut and bolt to fix this darn thing", I can say "I have it! Right here as a matter of fact!" And then I am the hero for bringing 6 suitcases on vacation. And 3 carryons, and 2 saddle bags, and a backpack.....did I mention the beach bag yet?

In my defense (not that I really need one), the ONE time I traveled light, it was an overnight trip for a funeral. I left the thermometer and tylenol at home (after all, we were going to be gone less than 24 hours, right? Did I REALLY need it for an overnight trip?). My 3 year old son woke me in the night when I rolled up next to him in the bed, and could feel the heat coming through his PJs. We were in the BOONIES, in a hotel, with no 24 hour drugstore...(what do you mean they close at 8 pm???) with no thermometer, no medicine, and a child that had a fever of AT LEAST 103!!! I was literally afraid to go to sleep for fear that he would start seizing. I was contemplating if I would look like a loony person if I drew a cool bath for him...I settled for washcloths and drinking fluids instead. Never again!! And that is why I pack everything that I think we will POSSIBLE need whenever we leave the house!

Thank you....now can I go get some of the coffee and cookies I see in the back?

"7) Since my transformation, we pack ONLY carry-ons for WDW!"

I just went back to read the rest of the thread....I think I stopped breathing when I saw this:eek: :eek:

Last year 8 of us went together. We had 2 large bags each plus a carry on each. Yes, that's 24 bags all together!! You should have seen the guy's face when we called for bell services! I also always pack a fold up bag to ship back all the goodies we buy while we're down there. This past October we had to ship boxes back!!!

Yes, I am an overpacker and low and behold.......my name is also Duffy!!

Ha - DH thinks I'm the only overpacker in the world.

For a two week trip - 2 adults, 3 kids.

We usually have 9 suitcases and a cooler (I hate the mini fridges)

5 carry ons plus DH's computer.

We also ship two big boxes early containing the costumes, water spray fans, spinning light up toys, stuffed animals etc.

We always stay the night before at the Hilton Airport Hotel in Philadelphia. Last July the guy who drives the shuttle asked DH if we were relocating to Florida!

Hello my name is KumquatMelon and I, am an overpacker.
Now that I have admitted my problem I am hopping that you can help me.

I am going in April for 6 nights and I have already started up the list. It is FL, I must prepare myself for anything. Rain, Sun, Sleet, Snow, Hurricanes, Tornados, I've got it all covered. For 6 nights I normally pack for about 14 days, a night outfit and a morning/day outfit. And, two extras just in case if I fall in mud or something. For a family of four we have 4 large suitcases with clothing, 1 medium bag of toiletries, 1 large food bag including a toaster, 1 cooler, 3 camera bags (pictureholics), 3 backpacks for the park, and 1 movies/entertainment bag for the car.
So, we average about 14.

:confused3 how does this happen????:confused3

There is no hope is there?

oh, and lest you forget anything...DON'T forget a Phillips head screwdriver (small!!)

After watching the Lights, Motors, Action show at DHS, we had to stop at the little cart and get the boys a small R/C Car, and they were attached to the packaging with screws, and also the battery cover had screws.

Ok, we lived through that without too many tears.

Then, after riding the monorails, both boys wanted the little toy monorails. Yep, they were also screwed into their packaging!! It's enough to drive anyone to drink. DH always has his swiss army knife, but since we flew, he didn't want to check it and just left it at home. We also could have used the screwdriver for our sunglasses, which had screws that were trying to come out.

So, even if you overpack, there is always something you wish you would have brought!

after 5 trips to the World, I can truly say I am a reformed overpacker. DD (21) and I went for 8 days last Sept with 1 26" rolling duffle, one overnight-sized bag and hobo bag sized carry ons each. Would have only used one carry on but DD was auditioning & needed immediate access to her audition stuff, shoes, music, dance clothes, etc. so she took that all down in a carry on. On the way back, we had one shopping bag extra with the breakable X-mas ornaments in it.

We took (each and excluding what we wore on the plane)):

4 bottoms (skorts for me, capris & shorts for her)
2 matching tops for each bottom
undies & PJ's
3 pr of sandals/flip flops (wore sneakers on the plane)
small makeup bag each with basics - foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara & a lip gloss
1 gallon sized ziplock with all our toiletries, extra meds, sunscreen, ponchos, chargers - all the loose stuff.

That was pretty much it. Used a cheap dollar store pop-up hamper for dirty clothes & it fit right into the duffle bag on the way home.

You don't need a lot of stuff. Bring mix & match clothes. Wear your shorts 2 days with different tops. Bring neutral footwear that will go with more than one outfit. Don't even think in terms of outfits, just match for heaven sakes! Read a thread on which a woman listed 25 hair bows on her packing list. ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?! Who is looking at your hair bows!!!!! Pack light, have fun, don't throw your back out!!! It can be done.

I am not an over-packer compared to you folks. I couldn't imagine having to deal with 9 suitcases at the airport!:scared1:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/04/news/companies/ual_baggage.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

United Airlines to charge for extra luggage

Non-frequent fliers will be charged $25 for a second piece of luggage on domestic flights. Airline says fee will represent $100 million per year.

February 4 2008: 1:10 PM EST
CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines will start charging domestic passengers $25 to check in a second piece of luggage if they are not part of its most-frequent-flier programs, the airline said Monday.

The charge will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, the UAL carrier said. The change takes effect with travel starting on May 5 and applies to tickets purchased on or after Monday.

Investors have urged airlines to pass on the higher costs of fuel onto passengers through ticket-price increases or similar surcharges.
United's customer research showed that a quarter of its customers check a second bag, Chief Revenue Officer John Tague said in a statement. The new policy will allow customers with many bags to continue bringing them for a fee and "enables us to offer competitive fares to everyone," Tague said.

Customers who have "Premier" status or higher within United's Mileage Plus program, or "Silver" status or higher within its Star Alliance program will still be able to check in a second bag for free. The new charge applies to those who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets.

United (UAUA, Fortune 500) will charge all customers $100 per bag for up to four additional bags. Previous charges ranged from $85 to $125 per bag. The cost to check items that require special handling because they are large, overweight or fragile will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.

New fees apply to trips within the U.S. and or those that include Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. Customers whose itineraries include other international flights will still be able to check the second bag for free. The cost to check more than two bags, or items that are overweight or require special handling, on such trips will vary by destination

United Airlines to charge for extra luggage

Non-frequent fliers will be charged $25 for a second piece of luggage on domestic flights. Airline says fee will represent $100 million per year.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Good thing I usually fly on Continental. :cool2:

It's nice to know others are in "the club." I always make a color-coded list, too, and cross everything off as I pack it. I start making the list quite a bit before the trip and add to it as things pop in my head. I start packing a day or two before, neatly putting everything in its appropriate place. DH, on the other hand, gets up the morning of the trip, throws things in his suitcase and, ta da, he's done in 5 minutes flat. Somehow he manages to remember everything he'll need..at least most of the time! :)

I used to be an overpacker, and now consider myself a moderate packer.

What helped for me was to create a spreadsheet of everything I packed, down to the smallest item. The first trip I had so much stuff, I couldn't even see out the back window of the car. When I came back the first time, I went over the list and deleted anything that wasn't used. Then the next time, I packed using the modified list. Over the years, it's been tweaked quite a bit, and I have three different versions - weekend, week, two week - as the requirements for each are slightly different.

I spent two weeks at BWV last month. I had one regular suitcase with clothes, one carry on with toiletries and miscellaneous stuff (laptop, camera, travel alarm, etc.), one box of groceries and a flat of bottled water. I don't consider that to be too bad on a scale of one to ten. Of course, it helps that I'm driving and not flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter