Overpackers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Community' started by duffy, Jan 31, 2008.

1. duffy

duffy The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote i

Hello, my name is Duffy and I am an overpacker.

Admitting my addiction is the first step. I am powerless to stop.

I found myself this morning thinking that maybe I should pack the nice wooden bowl on my coffee table. It would look great on our table at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there tomorrow!

We have roughly 80 hours worth of dvds packed for the car ride. It is a 15 hour drive.

I have many, many batteries packed, both rechargeable and ordinary. I am fairly certain that there ARE places where I could buy batteries on the way and even when we get there. But still! What if there aren't??

I believe a power greater than myself-the Dis community-could restore me to sanity.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mom2zandjsquared

mom2zandjsquared Disney Mom

I'm sorry but I am an over packer as well and sad thing is I can drive back home if need be since I only live 1.5 hours south of the world!!

4. stitchlover

stitchlover DIS Veteran

It's a support group. At this point I plan to take 4 suitcases for 3 people. Is that a bit much? They aren't small suitcases either.

5. ksbean

ksbean Mouseketeer

I think there are a lot of us out there. We took 2 large LLBean rolly duffles and a large suitcase plus we each had a backpack for our carry-on for just 2 of us.

6. leanan

leanan DIS Veteran

I would pack that many DVDs as well since there needs to be choices. I am just a pack rat. As for the wooden bowl, that one is way silly. Disney Decorators have such a good sense of decor you need not bring your own decor. Your room will be perfect silly.

7. 3"Mouse"keteers

3"Mouse"keteers DIS Veteran

Planning for Oct.18-26th and started a packing list yesterday. I already have 2 pages front and back (each with two columns)! And I'm not finished yet! I don't know how we're going to fit it all into the van. Just thankful we're driving though and not flying! Does anyone else seem to have this problem? I always seem to overpack. We can go on a weekend trip and I'll have at least three bags! My dh thinks I'm insane! In my defense, we do have a 19mo. ds though.

8. leanan

leanan DIS Veteran

No I do not think that is too much. Of course you should see how I pack for the science fiction/fantasy conventions. Whew. Cosplayers are always dangerous packers. I need to change my outfit no less than 6 times a day. Mostly because my corsets hurt like he double hockey sticks I think.

Christmas 2006 we had two outfits for a day at MK. Pirate costumes for the day and Christmas shirts for the party. I lived 20 minutes away. Now I live 10 from the parks. However the trouble is getting out, getting in the car, and going home for the stuff. Bah.

9. apparition

apparition Universal Brat

I always pack more clothes then I'll need, but that's about it. :goodvibes

10. MissRoseRed

MissRoseRed Mouseketeer

Hi Duffy!

I'm Denise, and I too, am an overpacker. I try so hard not to be, but those bags just get fuller and fuller. I don't know what I will do this year since Southwest has reduced their checked bag limit from 3 to 2! :sad2:

Last September, we almost didn't fit into the taxi to the airport. The trunk wasn't big enough! It only held two large suitcases (one for each of us). We had to put the carry-ons in the backseat with us and the 3rd large suitcase (for the stuff we would buy there) had to ride up front... And I thought I was doing so much better going with fewer large bags rather than the zillion little ones that the taxi drivers usually make fun of us for... :confused3

I have made a little progress, though... I actually unpacked the suitcases within 3 months... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. nascar-j

nascar-j Racing my way to see Mickey

I'm not sure there is any help. That's why I have to take this and stay at Fort Wilderness. It sure beats being limited to 3 or 4 suitcases.

[​IMG]

j

12. stitchlover

stitchlover DIS Veteran

Okay you know you all want to...share your packing list. This will either help you cut down your own packing list OR remind you of things you forgot and you will have to ADD to your list! Here's mine:

CLOTHES
    DH
    shorts
    shirts
    undies
    socks
    tennis shoes
    sandals
    swim suit
    pajamas
    pants?

ME
    shorts
    dark tan (3)
    light tan (3)
    black (3)
    short sleeve shirts
    black (1)
    hot pink (1)
    purple (1)
    3/4 sleeve shirts
    pink
    blue
    long sleeve shirts
    black
    tan capris (2)
    jeans (2)
    undies
    bras (3 min)
    socks
    flip flops
    tennis shoes
    swim suit
    pajamas
    light jacket

DD
    shorts
    shirts
    jeans
    undies
    bras
    socks
    tennis shoes
    flip flops
    swim suit
    pajamas
    light jacket
    goggles

TOILETRIES
    DH
    shampoo
    contact lense case
    contact lense solution
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    mouthwash
    deodorant
    Nexium
    allergy meds
    nasal spray
    glasses

ME
    shampoo
    conditioner
    hair gel
    hot rollers
    straightner
    deodorant
    baby powder
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    hairbrush
    razor
    makeup
    Nexium
    feminine items
    shaving cream

DD
    deodorant
    toothpaste
    tooth brush
    mouthwash
    shampoo
    conditioner
    hair brush
    Lexapro
    feminine items
    allergy meds
    Straterra

GENERAL TOILETRIES
    sunscreen
    Aloe Vera
    Neosporin
    band aids
    mole skin
    dental floss
    Qtips
    throat lozenges
    advil
    sudafed
    hand lotion
    nail clippers
    laundry detergent
    clothes hampers
    toiletry pop ups
    mini sewing kit
    face stick
    hand cleanser
    hair bands
    Shout wipes
    eye drops
    Zicam
    Imodium AD

AIRPLANE BACKPACK
    FOR DH
    iPhone
    PSP
    PSP Games
    sunglasses

FOR ME
    WDW Travel Documents
    iPhone
    Camera
    sudoku book
    pencil
    Disney Dollars
    sunglasses
    Itinerary
    Baggalini or red backpack?

FOR DD
    Nano
    Nintendo DS
    Camera
    sunglasses?
    hat?
    Hidden Mickey Book

MISCELLANEOUS BAG to be checked
    FOR DH
    iPhone Charger
    PSP Charger

FOR ME
    Camera Charger
    WDW Books
    WDW Itinerary
    extra Memory card
    extra camera battery
    Wallet Baggallini
    WDW Guidebook

FOR DD
    Nintendo DS Charger
    Xtra batteries for camera

Miscellaneous items in Misc bag
    Fruit Roll Ups
    Microwave Popcorn
    Sweet n Low Packets
    Raw Sugar Packets
    Oatmeal to Go Bars
    Jerky
    2 pop-up clothes hampers
    3 toiletry bags

13. poohfriend77

poohfriend77 DIS Veteran

Count me in. We leave one week from today, and our guest bed is covered with my "pre-packing" stuff. All our t-shirts and shorts are laid out, along with pretty much every trial-size bottle they sell at Target. I also have a bag of snacks/breakfast stuff, even though we're making a grocery store stop.:rolleyes1

I'm starting to worry about the luggage situation because we're using a towncar service to pick us up from the airport. There's 4 of us (DH, me, DD5 and DD2), so luggage has to fit in the trunk. I'm hoping to keep it to 2 suitcases and a duffle bag (oh, and three carry-ons). Wish me luck! :rotfl:

14. poohfriend77

poohfriend77 DIS Veteran

stitchlover-- we were posting at the same time. Your list looks pretty good. What about a surge protector/multi outlet thing so you can plug in all those chargers?

15. KimR

KimR DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Needs to lay off t

Yes, I am an overpacker. Several years ago we checked in with 31 bags. :scared1: There were 6 of us, but still.

16. duffy

duffy The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote i

:scared1: Thanks for reminding me!!

17. DisneyWalkerGirl

DisneyWalkerGirl Mouseketeer

Love this list but am really curious on your vacation timeframe, i.e. How many days is this for? :confused3

18. Mrs Doubtfire

Mrs Doubtfire DIS Veteran

We went for 3 weeks - all I can say is thank goodness for the washer. ps who sits on their suitcase to shut it?:)

19. Brit17

Brit17 DIS Veteran

Count me in ... I'm an overpacker too :goodvibes ... on our 6 day trip in Dec., we checked 4 pieces of luggage and each carried a personal and a carry-on onto the plane ... and all of this was for only two adults!! ... I will admit that one piece of luggage was pretty much empty going, however, it was full when we came home ;) ... no matter how I try, I always end up packing way more than I need ... I seriously need to join a support group for Overpackers Anonymous :laughing: ...

20. crunchymomma

crunchymomma Mouseketeer

Hi. I am Diane and I too am an over packer! Last month, I shipped a 55 lb box, had two LARGE suitcases, 2 medium suitcases, 2 rolling duffles, a stroller, and 3 backpacks! I actually brought a framed picture from home of my puppy :) This trip was 2 adults, an eleven year old and a one year old!

21. Luv4Disney

Luv4Disney DIS Veteran

I definitely overpack! With FL weather, you never know and I always want to be prepared. A few times it's paid off too! :)