Overpackers Anonymous

Overpacker here too. :)

We usually travel in a group of four adults. Not only does the trunk of the Buick get stuffed, but whoever sits in the backseat gets to hold full sized suitcases. :love: I'm driving to the airport. :P

I used to be but I finally got tired of lugging bags around an airport. We go in January so we know it can be cold so we take layers. No heavy coats/boots. It's Disney, so we take only shorts or jeans unless we intend to go to California Grill. One pair of tennis shoes. No dress shoes or sox. T-shirts or polo shirts. Besides a carry on with meds, shirt/sox/underwear, books, planning info, etc I can go for 4 days with 1 checked bag. If I have access to washer/dryer it's even easier. If I forget or need anything then I'll buy it there.
Bob

1) I read this posting by mistake.
2) What a tactical error on my behalf.

3) I am on the wagon!

4) I now have 17-months, 2-weeks, and 3-days of packing sobriety.
5) APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE-APPLAUSE
6) I am a reformed over packer.

7) Since my transformation, we pack ONLY carry-ons for WDW!
8) And, we can last a whole week.
9) But, by reading this post, I am feeling those urges again.
10) We leave Feb-25 and I am wondering how much to pack.
11) But, I promise myself to snap out of it!

I'm an over-packer too! I actually was just talking about this on my PTR the other day. I always pack too many socks, too many pairs of shoes, too many shirts, WAY too much make-up, tweezers, bobby pins, nail clippers, scotch tape :-)confused3 ).... and for some reason I always buy the FAMILY SIZE bottles of shampoo/conditioner rather than the travel size. I have no idea why. We bring DVD's and the portable DVD player, that we NEVER use. I packed my own hairdryer in October - just in case the one in the room wasn't working.... And in 85 degree weather with high humidity, using a blowdryer was completely useless anyway.

I firmly resolve to STOP overpacking! We had to pay the $50 fee for BOTH of our suitcases on one of our trips because they were over the weight limit!!

I am going to have to have my dd read this thread!! She keeps telling me that 'it's about having options Mom'..ah, no, not when you stand there, sweating at baggage check as the numbers rise on the scale! Who, in their right mind, needs 8 pair of flip-flops for WDW, to last 5 days????

Hi. I'm an overpacker. And an overplanner. My packing list is three pages, cross referenced, and color coded. We will be two adults and two kids, and I'm planning on at least 4 suitcases - maybe five. And an empty one. And four carry-ons.

One thing that's not on your list - the luggage scale! That way, you can check to make sure none of the suitcases is too heavy. They're only about $10 - Target has them now.

:cool1: :cool1:

We somehow manage to pretty much fill a medium size suitcase every trip just with the toiletries and medicine cabinet things. Last year, we would have been covered for diarrhea, heartburn, acid reflux (no, not one bottle of pepto, a different medicine for each), blisters, cuts, sunburns, amputations, gray hair, headaches, hemorrhoids, colds, flu -- oh my goodness, I can't believe all the things we packed. It was like shipping a Walgreens to Florida.

Funny thing is, now that we're home, when I get a headache or upset stomach, I can't find anything to take!

I am an over packer. I'm ready to face my problem. :)

I am an overpacker. I can go Wed. night through Sunday morning with just a carry-on but I don't LIKE to do that.

For our 9 night trips DH, DS and I take 5 checked bags, 3 carry ons, and 3 backpacks. When we come home we check a 6th bag and carry on a bag of souvenirs.:rolleyes1

In August we are going for 16 nights. DH was just blabbering about doing laundry, but he is a very silly man. I am going to pack 32 outfits and be done with it. (You think I am kidding?) That's what those 29" suitcases are for.

FYI - It is cheaper to go overweight on your bags than to pay to check an extra one! :) Pack away, my friends!!:banana:

It's a support group. At this point I plan to take 4 suitcases for 3 people. Is that a bit much? They aren't small suitcases either.

That's not bad, each of us have 3 suitcases...there are 4 of us. So yes, 12! LOL And also a backpack with movies and a cooler...and a box of junk. We had to buy a container and rack for the roof of the car to hold everything.

But we are doing 5 days at WDW then a 3 day cruise...and with the crazy weather right now, we have to pack for every kind of temp imaginable it seems. :confused3 :thumbsup2

As much as we take to Disney you would think that we were staying for a year. I wish!

Hello, my name is Tiggerfan1 and I'm an overpacker, too.

I have decided to stop living in denial and admit that I pack far too many things when I travel. My overpacking problem is always joked about whenever my family and I take a trip. I usually carry a large purse with everything in it but the kitchen sink. (Unfortunately, the sink wouldn't fit.) I'm so glad that I have finally found a support group. :grouphug: Hopefully, I will improve in this area. (Nah, probably not. ;) )

I'm guilty as well. If I'm going somewhere for two days, I pack a full suitcase. :confused3 When we go to WDW, I pack at least two outfits per day, and don't get me started on shoes. I'm determined to improve, but then again, who am I kidding? :lmao:

Hi I'm Lori and I am a overpacker too! On our last trip the suitcase that was suppose to be empty ended up full and I had to borrow a scale from the neighbor to make sure no bag was over 50lbs. We had 8 suitcases for 5 of us then we had to buy a bag at the resort the night before we left because we couldn't get everything into the bags we brought.

Hi I'm Lori and I am a overpacker too! On our last trip the suitcase that was suppose to be empty ended up full and I had to borrow a scale from the neighbor to make sure no bag was over 50lbs. We had 8 suitcases for 5 of us then we had to buy a bag at the resort the night before we left because we couldn't get everything into the bags we brought.

Woohoo! You guys are my kind of people! I've never had to buy more luggage on a trip, but I've definitely tested the limits of my expandable suitcase. I definitely need to get one of those scales to weigh my luggage. Every time I check my luggage in at the airport, I say a little prayer and hold my breath while they're weighing it. Fortunately, I've never had to pay any extra fees for my luggage. Hopefully, I never will....;)

Some might call me an overpacker, but I really think they are wrong. :rolleyes1 I prefer to think of myself as "prepared." :snooty: Prepared for what, you might wonder? Seemingly anything!

We are packing tonight for tomorrow's trip :cool1: (assuming our flight is not delayed or cancelled. Stupid snowstorm.) DH thinks it's (semi)amusing that I need to pack from an extensive list and meticulously cross of each item one by one as they are placed in the suitcases.

How is it that I still manage to forget one thing every time? :confused3

Hello, my name is Tonya2426 and I am an overpacker.

And yes, my family does make fun of me but they also love me when I have extra bandaids, a roll of paper towels, or duct tape for every possible occassion. I am lucky that I am close enough to drive to WDW and I don't have to worry about airline weigh limits. (But when I do fly I have been known to redistribute the weight in my suitcases at an airline check-in counter to avoid paying the over-the-weight charge.)

We somehow manage to pretty much fill a medium size suitcase every trip just with the toiletries and medicine cabinet things. Last year, we would have been covered for diarrhea, heartburn, acid reflux (no, not one bottle of pepto, a different medicine for each), blisters, cuts, sunburns, amputations, gray hair, headaches, hemorrhoids, colds, flu -- oh my goodness, I can't believe all the things we packed. It was like shipping a Walgreens to Florida.

Funny thing is, now that we're home, when I get a headache or upset stomach, I can't find anything to take!

:lmao: OMG....I actually snorted reading this.....I know who to look for if my leg is spontaneously amputated.

I'm not sure there is any help. That's why I have to take this and stay at Fort Wilderness. It sure beats being limited to 3 or 4 suitcases.

springfield3.JPG

j

I think you win hands down. ... And a dish too. Wow! I was going to tell how much I pack, but I gave up when I saw your post. You rock.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter