Our little thread of BIG Resort Changes~2013 Spring RC installment

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by pas130, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toodycat

toodycat DIS Veteran

I will try to persuade you:
    We spent DH's 50th at AKL and loved it. Great theming, great food, savannah view rooms, gorgeous lobby and the amazing savannah. Honestly, we have stayed at both Poly and AKL twice and prefer AKL. We love the savannah and usually visit AKL for a visit to the animals and a meal at Boma or Jiko, even on trips when we are staying at a different resort. We love sitting around the AKL firepit in rocking chairs at night, too. Let's not forget the tasty zebra dome cakes at Boma. If the difference between the Poly and AKL is $600, I would definitely stay at AKL, especially if there is construction at the Poly. (On our last two stay at the GF, there was a lot of construction and it did take away for the charm.)Also, you could take a portion of the $600 savings and put it towards a car rental. If you research, you can get some good deals and then you won't worry about transportation. We always rent a car no matter where we stay, but when we have taken the bus from AKL, it wasn't bad at all.

Hope this helps.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Koh1977

Koh1977 DIS Veteran

I was actually thinking similar thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

4. Koh1977

Koh1977 DIS Veteran

Me too!! But I don't have any friends who are quite as Disney obsessed as I am...

5. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I couldn't agree more :sad1: The only thing I'm happy about is a larger pool.
    I think it will ruin Poly, and should have just stuck to the one building on the end toward wedding Pavillion.

That's wonderful, so happy for you!

:grouphug: I hope you can work something out to keep you comfortable at wdw.

6. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Sounds like it was a great day :thumbsup2

We did a split stay last summer at AKL. 6 nights PV, & 6 nights CL. We loved AKL, and the PV was great.

Kook bangers & mash please, and some Strombow ;).

Pas :faint: you're making me dizzy with all the changes :rotfl2:

7. sjs314

sjs314 "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and

STOP! STOP! All this AKL talk and the news about DVC at the Poly has me on the fence I want to stay at the Poly soooooo bad but I loved AKL and if there is a chance of the Poly being under major construction :scared: Well I just don't know what I might do :confused3

Been up since 3 am couldn't sleep with all this resort thoughts swirling in my head. I guess if when the Fall discounts come out and if they offer 30% at the Poly again that will tell me they expect to be in construction mode and need to discount Deep like they tend to do. If it's only 20% then maybe they won't get started till after my trip. I hate to give up my good deal from MVT

Ok done rambling :rotfl:

8. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

Good Morning Everyone!!!!

It's amazing what a good mood you wake up to when you have a ticker to check!!! :rotfl:

I am soooooooo beyond excited for my girls' trip!!! I did not think that I would get a bonus trip in this year but my DH and my BFF's DH conspired to make this happen. They are so great!!! :goodvibes

BFF and I are going to the MNSSHP as Alice (BFF) and the Queen of Hearts (Me)!!! We have found some costumes we like but will look in a few other places too.

I am sure that our resort will probably change, but we shall see. I am only booked with the AAA discount right now, which is about 10% off, but if the military discount is renewed, we will likely upgrade to a moderate...either POR/POFQ or CSR??? :confused3. Oh, the possibilities!!!!! :p

I am sure at work today we will work on our itinerary. We only want to make 1 TS and I am thinking Cali Grill if it opens back up on time....any other suggestions for a nice TS for 2 30-something ladies??? Not used to planning this type of trip! :rotfl:

9. i_heart_the_mouse

i_heart_the_mouse DIS Veteran

BLT sounds perfect for the pas crew. :thumbsup2

Smart kid for sure!

Hi Melissa. Peaceful sounds good. :goodvibes

Awesome!

Love your ADRs!

I know, right? But I'm not even scared..... yet.

I do think we will head over to Jambo one day. By then we will be pretty parked out and just looking to chill. :goodvibes Both pools look amazing to me. I'm interested in the SAB comparison myself. ::yes::

I'm just not sure why they haven't yet? I mean..... really!

APs! So good... and yet soooo bad. :cheer2:

That sounds lovely :thumbsup2

Sounds like a good plan!

Woohoo! So close!

Can't wait to find out!

:blush:

Poly vs. AKL? There are no losers in that equation! $600 is no small chunk of change!

I agree. Depressing! Although with rumors flying for the last few years, I've already had 2 "last Poly trip before it changes forever trips" and am about to take my 3rd in August.... so....:confused3

Hope you get some relief soon. This allergy season seems so bad for so many people. :crazy2:

How exciting! Crossing my fingers for you :)

Hope your appt goes well today :hug:

10. Missoutandabout

Missoutandabout DIS Veteran

Good morning to all!

Janet: Ooooooh my. Greasy cheeseburger with hot sauce followed up with a chocolate custard for dessert? I'm going to have to go workout after just reading that. :rotfl: Yummm-o!

Jen: Hahaha, SWEEEEEET! Those are the best countdowns. ::yes:: :hyper: You're telling them on Sunday?

MM: Yeah, YEEEEEEEAH! Your chicas-only trip sounds FAB ... as do your costumes. :worship:

Dani: I hope you can get some respite from your doc's visit. At least something to tide you over on your trip.

I_Heart: Where's my popcorn? I'm so looking forward to everyone's AKL/AKV reviews. popcorn::

Melissa: Sending these over to you... :goodvibes Did taking him off the meds help at all? :hug:

Pas, Kookster, Wookster, Sheila, GG, Toody, Sue, Petey, DznyCrzy11 and any other of you lovely folks I'm missing... here's some of these: :grouphug:

Chat later with you lot. Off to the Y. :scared:

11. Grumpy Grandma

Grumpy Grandma DIS Veteran

Poly DVC ... it had to come. With the DVC at GF isn't Poly the only deluxe without DVC??? I know I'm in the minority but the only way I'll ever be able to stay at either GF or Poly is using my DVC points so I'm happy about the new DVC options. I do think DVC will happen at the Poly but not until sales are strong at GF. Personally my choice for new DVC would be more units in California ... it is so hard to get in there .... also the GC project sold out very quickly so I'd think more units on the west coast would be a smart business decision .... but what do I know .... :rotfl2:

12. Koh1977

Koh1977 DIS Veteran

You are right about the last deluxe to get DVC. Tikiman said construction should begin end of this year, but no timeline as to when it would be finished...

13. DznyCrzy11

DznyCrzy11 "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference wh

Yep, I agree!! I don't like how it seems tge DVC are spread all over the resort. I definitely think this will cause the resort to feel crowded, I mean it's not like they had much room to work with to start with. If they are going to build the DVC I think they should build the one where the luau currently is and then build the over the water bungalows right there and that's it!!! I also can't believe they are getting rid of the waterfall!!! I think that makes the GCH great!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II

14. Grumpy Grandma

From what I was told the GCH has a lot of building code issues so I'd expect to see lots going on there. Maybe the safety issues are really just a rumor and major rehab won't be need there.

Thinking about it more .... I'm so cheap with my points that I'll probably never want to spend the points ($$$) to stay at either GF or Poly! :rotfl2:

I do hope that Disney doesn't destroy the feeling of the Poly just for more $$$ !

15. i_heart_the_mouse

i_heart_the_mouse DIS Veteran

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I just can't get too fussed about what Tikiman says anymore. I've gotten myself worked up over his rumors only to have nothing happen too many times in the past. I'm sure he is connected, I just don't think it's well enough to be any sort of reliable. Especially considering the recent breaking news of the water bungalows came straight from our dear Kook and not from him. :rolleyes1 Anyhoo....better go do some housework and avoid and rotten apples thrown my way. :duck: :goodvibes

I actually kinda like the water bungalow idea, but I do not like the 5 story buildings flanking the resort. :sick: I agree with you on putting everything over by Luau Cove ::yes::

Awww, I know the queen of splits will figure out a way to shimmy a night or two in there someday. :yay:

16. disneydreamin247

disneydreamin247 DIS Veteran

Just checking in from the doctors office. Waiting in the room to be seen currently.

This morning I ordered locking pin backs from eBay. I pulled out our lanyards and pins, dug out my bathing suit :crazy2:, and my ears. I need go find my old purse that has our special pins in it so I can affix them on our lanyards. It looks like Lily is going to need her own set as well because she won't keep her hands off of ours. I will be sending our grocery list to WeGoShop tonight, and making lists of things I need to pick up before we leave. I am so excited!!!

17. Grumpy Grandma

Good luck at the doctor's office! Hope you get something that helps. :thumbsup2

Sounds like your planning/packing is under control. Reading about you getting the kids ready for the trip really makes me miss traveling to Disney with little ones! :goodvibes

18. Missoutandabout

She truly is the Queen of Splits! :rotfl: ::yes::

Hope the docs visit helps, Dani. :hug: Locking pin backs? :faint: I should really invest in these; I lost one of my Orange Bird pins (luckily one of my own and not a gift) and I almost CRIED! :rolleyes2

19. disneydreamin247

disneydreamin247 DIS Veteran

linda one trip with my kids and you will be cured of that!

We lost about 8 pins last year. I think I was more upset than Danimal! If you want when I get home I will link you to where I got them.

Dr. says I have thrush from my nebulizer and my allergies are very bad. Not throat cancer after all! :rotfl:

20. Grumpy Grandma

Oh Dani hugs to you .... so scary to be worried about something but .... what a relief and weight off your shoulders! :hug:

And I fully intend to meet your little darlings pirate: princess: in Oct!!!

21. Missoutandabout

:cheer2: for good news from the docs! Did she/he tell you what to do to avoid the thrush? Miss M's been on a nebulizer off and on for a few weeks now. (Can't seem to get rid of her cold, which causes her asthma symptoms :crazy2: ) I'm kinda paranoid about her getting it so I'm not sure if having her rinse her mouth out afterward is enough. :scared:

I would've cried over losing 8, indeed! Yes please, if you don't mind sending the link, I'd surely appreciate it. :goodvibes With losing the Orange Bird, I'm scared to put any on my bag anymore. :blush:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.