• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Only Heaven Is Better than Disney World": Live TR 8/24

Wow - I am soo excited to read your report! We'll be there in 4 four days! Keep it coming and have fun!

I'm in on this hukilau! Thanks for taking the time to share - we'll be there in 18 days and you are so ramping up our excitement! Have a great time!

We had an absolutely fabulous first day today. In fact, the only real problem was the bus situation leaving the Poly. As I mentioned in my last post, we waited a long time for a bus to DHS. Two AK buses and two Downtown Disney buses came through, and still no HS. Finally, 45 minutes after we arrived at the bus stop a DHS bus pulled up. By that time, pretty much all the people at the bus stop were waiting for DHS. Some even waited longer than us (an hour.) Luckily, the bus that pulled up was empty, but it quickly became jam packed with people from the Poly--standing room only. With how full the bus was, we figured there was no way she would stop at the GF like usual...but we were wrong! She pulled up to the GF bus stop, and there were even more people waiting there for DHS than at the Poly. She opened the doors, and some people tried to get in at the front until she realized there wasn't really any room for them. She said, "Oh, I didn't know the bus was full." You should have heard the snorts and mutters of disgust from the passengers at that one! My fiancé and I just kind of rolled our eyes, and I whispered quietly to him "Reeeeally?" Somehow they managed to squeeze some passengers in the back and a few up front, but I am pretty sure some people were left behind.

Enough complaining already! On to the good stuff! After a fairly uneventful ride in the sardine can of a bus, we arrived at the first park of our trip, DHS. By that time, it was about 12:30. We had a lunch reservation at 1:15, so we decided to go pick up a fast pass for something and then see if there were any rides nearby with a short wait.

Rockin' Rollercoaster had a 60 minute wait, so we grabbed a fastpass for later and headed over to...

78ec4b5a.jpg

The wait was listed as being half an hour, so my fiancé thought that would be cutting it too close to our reservation. However, between my personal experience and the boards, I have learned that quite often the times are overexaggerated, so I suggested we go on anyway. Even if the ride took a half an hour, we would only be a couple of minutes late for our ADR. Well, as usual, I was right and he was wrong ;). The wait was actually only 20 minutes from entrance to loading the elevator. We were on and off with 10 minutes to spare before our ADR. The new drop sequence was great!

Our lunch ADR was at the 50s PTC, and while we enjoyed this restaurant the last time we went there, this time was so much better. First of all, we had a wonderful waiter, who really played his part (Hasaan), and secondly, I unexpectedly got to meet my first DISer in person! Her name was Janet (janetb) on the boards, and she and her family were so nice and sweet. We were seated very close together, so originally we just made small talk about where we are from and all, but then we started talking Disney stuff. As I listened to her mention certain things she had heard about Disney, I couldn't help but thinking she must be a DISer. So I said, "This might seem like a strange question, but you wouldn't by any chance be on the DIS boards would you?" And lo and behold, she was, and I hadn't made a fool of myself. We had a lovely time talking during the meal about all different things, and we exchanged DIS board names. I told her I'm writing a live PTR, and she's supposed to check it out when she gets home this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't even think to get a picture with her. She offered to take one of me and my fiancé to put up on here, but being a bit shy about posting my picture, I declined and explained why. Even though I didn't get her picture, I did manage to snap a few others with my iPhone:

Check-in desk

3b725d00.jpg

I thought this crab cake was to die for...that is until I had the Brown Derby one later that night. Seriously, the sauce on this one was fantastic, though!

4f61bbec.jpg

The 50s decor

2a970f21.jpg

My fiancé got the chicken sandwich.

90c90564.jpg

I got some kind of pasta dish...I forget the name, but it was good!

69794041.jpg

For dessert, I had a brownie sundae, and my fiancé had the cobbler. Both were very good, but I was having such a good time talking with Janet that I forgot to take pictures.

I mentioned before that our server was awesome. Unlike the waitress we had last year, he played his part perfectly.

For instance, he said to me, "Can you read English?"

I was like, "Yeah, of course, why?"

"What does it say right there on the menu?" he asked.

"Um, no elbows on the table...sorry!!!" Then I meekly took my elbows down.

He also did a bunch of other great stuff like making Janet eat a fork full of her carrots she had left so that she wouldn't have bad eyesight and making me eat more of my veggies before desert. Of course, he couldn't do it normally. We got the "plane is coming in for landing" and choo-choo train noises. He also made the lady at the table next to us set the table because she was late in getting to the table, and made Janet's daughter stand in the corner for repeatedly having her elbows on the table. I actually got a pic taken with Hasaan, but it's only regular camera not my phone, so no pic today.

All in all, lunch at the 50s PTC was a great experience, and I left with a huge smile on my face.

Up next: Our afternoon and dinner at the Brown Derby...I was going to try to write it tonight, but I am beat. Look for it tomorrow!

:welcome: to everyone new who is reading, and thanks for following along! I wanted to answer a couple of questions that were asked and comment on some comments, but I need some sleep now! I hope to comment back in the morning :)

subbing popcorn::

awesome start! I love live TRs. Tomorrow is our 5 week mark before we are at WDW. I have terrible insomnia tonight and needed a Disney fix. TY. :worship:

LOL the one time we were at PT the only thing our server did was make us set the table, I was so dissapointed!

I'm in! I love live TRs!!!

So a couple of questions (because I want to do a live TR when I'm there WITH pics):

1. Did your flight offer wireless so you could post pics and updates while up in the air? Does it cost a lot$$$ ?

2. How are you able to post photos with your iphone on the boards? I have an iphone but I only know how to post photos using photobucket and I haven't tried doing that with the iphone.

Thanks!!!

More than happy to help:

1) The flight offered wi-fi. It was $8, but I was bored so I sucked it up and paid it.

2) I use three different apps to create my trip reports: the Notes app that came with the phone, the Photobucket app, and the DIS's eTicket app. Since the eTicket app doesn't have multi-tasking yet, I compose the report in the notes app so that I can switch back and forth between that and the Photobucket app to get my picture links. The Photobucket app is very easy to use; the only problem it has is that it won't upload pics unless it is the active app, so I have to stay on that app while uploading. Then, once I am done the trip report in the Notes app, I use the copy function, open up the DIS boards on the eTicket app, and paste the report into the posting box. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is so fun - loved the little girl's response and I totally agree :)

I have actually been watching a live stream from a web site from somone staying at the Poly since this weekend (only thing I see is mostly trees but still fun to see live). Now that you are reporting live as well, it is double fun :thumbsup2

I hope your trip isn't affected by the Tropical storm heading up from Bermuda - here's lots of pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: so that your trip continues to be magical!

Wow, did they set up a webcam or something? We have had a little rain so far, but nothing horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter