Olympic Eating With Team GB ** COMPLETED - WDW & DCL**

Loved your review of Sanaa. Too bad that I'm travelling with a picky eaters. I love Sanaa food but most in my group will be hungry. :upsidedow

I absolutely love Riverside Mill's Create Your Own Pasta dish. They are a bargain and such a huge portion and not to mention that they taste great!!! :thumbsup2

Sneak off to Sanaa, tell them you are off to do some laundry :rotfl:

We are looking forward to trying sanaa in October - will remember to ask for the yoghurt on the side.

Not heard of tapioca for years. My school dinners used to have it plus rice pudding served with a spoon of jam or some stewed raisins on the side :crazy2:

The chai cream looks lovely and good to know they will still do just that if you ask.

I'm sure you will enjoy Sanaa, are you going for lunch or dinner? If you are going for lunch ask if there is a window table free :thumbsup2

We are staying at POR in August so I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal there! The make your own pasta station sounds like exactly like something I'd love!

The pasta was really, really good - I really like POR, such a great resort
Hope you have a wonderful trip

Ooo you got the chocolate mints! They are THE BEST!!

I also love the pasta station at POR. I never found the garlic bread to be too good so don't think you missed out on much there. Not tried the marinara sauce but think I will in August :)

I'd highly recommend the Marinara sauce, I must go back and try some of the others :goodvibes

Mmm, your pasta from Riverside Mill looks awesome! We always stay at POFQ but often make the short 10 minute walk to POR to enjoy a meal. When my sister and I were there last year we got the make your own salad a couple of times, it was delicious! We each got a magic cookie bar for dessert and that sucker lasted about a week as we could only manage little bites at a time, but it was heavenly. :lovestruc

I must go back and try the make your own salad, sounds yummy and ooh the magic cookie bars are wonderful :love:

We really like the counter service options at both POR and POFQ. We have been known to visit Sassagoula Floatworks just to get beignets. The fish basket at Riverside Mill looks just like the one they used to (still do) have at Columbia Harbour House.

I've never tried the beignets Joh, I would love to give them a try popcorn::
DH loves the fish basket at CHH as well :thumbsup2

Thanks for your Sanaa review. I have been torn on this one and I think I'm just going to have to take the plunge and try it some of these days.

Jill in CO

I hope you like it, I really enjoyed my meal and it's a really relaxing place for lunch :goodvibes

Riverside Mill has a fab foodcourt. So many good choices. We love Yee Haw Bob and the Roost has some lovely comfy sofas to slump down in with a couple of drinks.

Such a great way to spend an evening :)

I've never thought of dining at Riverside Mill, but I should probably add it to my list since both you and Betsy give it high marks. I don't know when exactly I'll be making progress on this "list", but I'm happy to see my list grow longer and longer. :rotfl:

My foodie list is getting longer than my packing list now :rotfl:

All caught up! And I just have to say: FANTASTIC updates! The pasta dish from POR is amazing, isn't it? So many different combinations, which I'm sure are all delicous. I've never had the mickey mints before, but they sound like something right up my alley. You've given me lots of ideas of things to try... I need to start a list :rotfl:

Oh the Mickey Mints were lovely, you really must try them
How's life at Slash Mountain - is it Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah :rolleyes1

Mmmmh........ pasta looks yummy! Have you tried their Make your own salad too? :cloud9:
Keep on eating, Linda ...... I love seeing and reading about your food! ;)

Hi Karin, not long until your next trip now, can't wait for your next review
I haven't tried the make your own salad yet but I would love to :thumbsup2

You're not a true Disney 'freak' if you don't have a list ;)

We are all freaks, let's join together in our freakiness :lmao:

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup2 All these great reviews of Riverside Mill have definitely made me want to give it a try. I'm almost a little scared to start my own "list" because I think the number of items on it will scare me. :lmao:

Ah you see the trick is to always have a few things not crossed off your list by the time you head home so you have yet another good reason to go back :goodvibes

Shame on you for not showing the inside of the cupcake. What is a cupcake science lesson without showing the internal workings of said cupcake ;)

Gotta admit, the apple danish did look dry. I still maintain that you can't beat the apple danish from Croissant Moon bakery at Islands of Adventure. Best. I've. Ever. Had.

I am definitely getting a grown-up tipple from Tune-in Lounge to enjoy in the sunshine in August :thumbsup2

The Mowie Wowie sounds delicious - I'm looking forward to trying it eventually!

Your pastries might have been too cold, but that's exactly how I want my food right now! The heat in Philadelphia is driving me crazy, so "too cold" sounds "just right" to me. :laughing:

The Mowie Wowie sounds delicious - I'm looking forward to trying it eventually!

Your pastries might have been too cold, but that's exactly how I want my food right now! The heat in Philadelphia is driving me crazy, so "too cold" sounds "just right" to me. :laughing:

Rub it in, why don't you. We are experiencing a typical British summer here :sad2:

You are so civilized to cut into that apple danish! Me? It would have had giant bite marks! :rotfl2: That marble cupcake looked good! I agree with Joh, what's up with no picture of the middle? :laughing: That mowie wowie is on my list. :woohoo:

Shame on you for not showing the inside of the cupcake. What is a cupcake science lesson without showing the internal workings of said cupcake ;)

Gotta admit, the apple danish did look dry. I still maintain that you can't beat the apple danish from Croissant Moon bakery at Islands of Adventure. Best. I've. Ever. Had.

I am definitely getting a grown-up tipple from Tune-in Lounge to enjoy in the sunshine in August :thumbsup2

You are so civilized to cut into that apple danish! Me? It would have had giant bite marks! :rotfl2: That marble cupcake looked good! I agree with Joh, what's up with no picture of the middle? :laughing: That mowie wowie is on my list. :woohoo:

Drum roll please .........................

f650b6f0.jpg

Do I ever let you down ladies :cool2:

After riding our favorite attractions and getting our Fast Passes it was time for a truly healthy and hearty breakfast at Starring Rolls ;)

Now for some reason that totally escapes me, we decided to share our early morning treat :confused3

The only possible explanation for this insane and totally out of character decision was that I must have actually passed into the Twilight Zone whilst riding the Tower Of Terror and had arrived at Starring Rolls under the influence of a strange and unearthly power :stir:

..... I mean share a cupcake, really .....

I was clearly not fully in charge of my faculties :rolleyes1

Any-hoo, here is the breakfast of champions

2c19e8d6.jpg

Marble Cupcake - marbled vanilla and chocolate cake topped with swirls of vanilla frosting

I think I've pretty much tried every cupcake at Starring Rolls over the years but for some reason had never ordered this one, and it was on 'the list'

All I can say is that it was just 'OK'

It didn't seem all that fresh but I actually think that it was probably due to the fact that it was served too cold.

For obvious reasons in the Florida heat, all the cakes and pastries are kept well refrigerated and to me, that makes them seem a little dry when you first tuck in.

If you can resist the temptation to dive right in, let the cupcake sit for a while and the texture and taste will be much improved :thumbsup2

So endeth the cupcake science lesson :rolleyes:

You know I finally had my very first Starring Rolls cupcake on our last trip and I just realized when I saw yours that I completely forgot to take a picture of it. :eek: And I can't even ask to borrow yours because I got the Red Velvet one. Oh, well! :laughing:

Anyway, I just wanted to say that your advice about letting it get to room temperature was spot on. :thumbsup2 I didn't know you had your masters in cupcakes, in addition to margaritas! ;) That's awesome!!! :worship:

Oh the Mickey Mints were lovely, you really must try them
How's life at Slash Mountain - is it Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah :rolleyes1

Haha! It is as long as the guests are nice. Otherwise it's more like this: :scared1:

Loved your last review. The cupcake looks good from the outside, but I definitely agree with you about the temperature. Dry cupcakes are not too yummy.

Hi Linda :wave2:
I love your food and DLP reports, thank you for taking the time to post them.
One of your previous reviews has me desperate to go to WL to try their breakfast waffles :cloud9:

Drum roll please .........................

f650b6f0.jpg

Do I ever let you down ladies :cool2:

Ah ...... good to see a cross section as well! :rotfl2: Even though I am not sure I would order that one. Marble cake isn't really my favourite (unless it has loads of rum soaked raisins in it! :rotfl2:)
Oh, the Mickey mints .. they are a tad too sweet for my liking. Did you put them in the fridge? They are better chilled. :goodvibes

You know I finally had my very first Starring Rolls cupcake on our last trip and I just realized when I saw yours that I completely forgot to take a picture of it. :eek: And I can't even ask to borrow yours because I got the Red Velvet one. Oh, well! :laughing:

Anyway, I just wanted to say that your advice about letting it get to room temperature was spot on. :thumbsup2 I didn't know you had your masters in cupcakes, in addition to margaritas! ;) That's awesome!!! :worship:

Isn't it wonderful that I am so highly qualified :lmao:

Haha! It is as long as the guests are nice. Otherwise it's more like this: :scared1:

Loved your last review. The cupcake looks good from the outside, but I definitely agree with you about the temperature. Dry cupcakes are not too yummy.

I think the cup cakes at the Boardwalk Bakery or from the Main Street Confectionery are much nicer than Starring Rolls
I really want to try one from the Contempo Cafe next time :goodvibes

Never :thumbsup2 It does look a tad dry though :sad2:

Yeah it was a little disappointing to be honest, have you tried the cupcakes at Roaring Fork? they are wonderful especially the carrot cake cupcake :cloud9:

Hi Linda :wave2:
I love your food and DLP reports, thank you for taking the time to post them.
One of your previous reviews has me desperate to go to WL to try their breakfast waffles :cloud9:

Ahh, the WL Waffles ...... I could happily start ever day with them :love:

Ah ...... good to see a cross section as well! :rotfl2: Even though I am not sure I would order that one. Marble cake isn't really my favourite (unless it has loads of rum soaked raisins in it! :rotfl2:)
Oh, the Mickey mints .. they are a tad too sweet for my liking. Did you put them in the fridge? They are better chilled. :goodvibes

Ooh, thanks for the tip on the Mickey Mints, I shall try that next time :thumbsup2

I'm loving your cupcake science lesson! Who knew Disboards were so educational? :lmao:

You know Lynda, you really are an inspiration to me. Last time we went to WDW after you I was inspired to drink around the world! This time I will be hunting those cupcakes down.

There may still be a fair bit of drinking going on too.....:rolleyes1

Can't wait for more!

Mickey’s Backyard BBQ

About three months before our vacation I was chatting to DH about our forthcoming trip when he threw me a bit of a curve ball

DH “Do you know where I would really like to eat?”

Me “Urm, everywhere I have chosen” :lmao:

DH “That BBQ place”

Me “What BBQ place?, do you mean Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom?”

DH “Nope, the one at Fort Wilderness”

Me “Do you mean Trails End?”

DH “Nah, the one that’s outdoors”

Me “Urm, do you mean Mickey’s Backyard BBQ”

DH “Yeah that’s the one”

Me :scared1:

To this day I’m not entirely sure why he came up with this idea but we nearly always head over to Fort Wilderness at some point every trip for various activities and eats and he must have spotted the venue one time :confused3

Now DH doesn’t look at the DIS, read any guidebooks, look over menus or take part in any of the tireless ‘research’ that goes into our dining plans and I can’t really remember him ever suggesting a specific restaurant before so he took me by surprise with this one

His explanation was “you love Mickey Mouse and I love ribs” .... O...Kay :rolleyes1

Once I had got over the trauma that was ‘adjusting my excel spreadsheet’ :eek: I called Disney Dining and got us an ADR

The show runs on Thursday and Saturday nights (seasonally) and as far as I can tell there is just one show per night at 6:30pm

We drove over to Wilderness Lodge and took the boat over the Fort Wilderness from there (we checked if this was OK with the guard and he said it was OK)

We were a little early to check in so we headed to Crockets Tavern for a drink (beer for me and coke for DH) and sat out on the rocking chairs and chatted to a lovely retired couple who were staying there in one of those huge RVs that always impress us so much

We lost track of time and suddenly noticed that we need to head over to the show

3aa4ec8b.jpg

Mickey's Backyard BBQ

Here is how the menu is described online:

All-You-Can-Eat Buffet:

Tossed Garden Salad

Fresh Herb Potato Salad

Creamy Cole Slaw

Cornbreads

Smoked BBQ Chicken

Barbeque Pork Ribs

Hot Dogs

Hamburgers

Cowboy Beans

Macaroni and Cheese

Corn on the Cob

Fixin's

Watermelon

Ice Cream Bars

Itzakadoozie Bars

Strawberry Bars
Lemonade, Ice Tea, Beer, and Wine

We checked in without much of a wait

I had noted on my reservation that I didn’t eat meat but did eat fish and when I checked in the CM told me that a chef would be over to speak to me once we were seated

I really should have got more photos of the venue for you, but basically it’s a wooded, open sided, covered dining area, very much in keeping with the rustic theme of Fort Wilderness

The seating is laid out as benches, running either side of long wooden communial tables

You are seated according to when you arrive so if you want to be right down the front you should get there early (the show starts at 6:30pm) but there isn’t really a bad view anywhere and if your kids want to join in and dance it doesn’t really make any difference where you are seated

We were led to our seats and had a great view of the stage and I was asked to place a tin sign with a picture of Jesse from Toy Story in front of me so that the Chef would be able to spot me

Literally seconds later the chef appeared and when I told him that I ate fish he asked me if I would like some salmon preparing ..... perfect :goodvibes

We then both headed over to the buffet.

There are two lines that both have exactly the same dishes and as most people had already collected their food we didn’t have much of a line in front of us so quickly filled our plates

If anything was running low it was quickly replenished and everything seemed hot and fresh

5d204ebd.jpg

This was DHs plate and he loved everything he tried and was quickly up for seconds. He said that the ribs and chicken were really good so he was a happy chappy

51c03067.jpg

This is my selection, the absolute standouts for me were the corn bread, coleslaw and potato salad

What do they put in the potato salad here? seriously it’s the best I’ve ever eaten :cloud9:

As soon as we returned from the buffet the chef appeared with my salmon which he said he had prepared with a maple syrup crust

f8f4a4bd.jpg

Salmon

This was a perfectly cooked piece of salmon, I couldn’t have asked for a tastier piece of fish.

The maple crust added a good texture and slight sweetness and it was hot and clearly nice and fresh

I headed back to the buffet at one point for some more of the yummy potato salad and we both proclaimed the meal to be ‘delicious’ :thumbsup2

Oh the drinks, sorry, you must have thought I had forgotten :rolleyes1

In the corner of the dining area there is a bar where a very smiley CM is constantly pouring out and lining up beer and wine (red, white and rose) and there is a help yourself soda and ice tea section as well

All drinks are unlimited and included in the price of the show :thumbsup2

For dessert there are two large freezers piled high with Mickey Bars, Itzakadoozie Bars and some fruit ice lollies as well

We both went for the old favourite

f9e3f137.jpg

Mickey Bar

Again, these are unlimited and some guests were certainly making the most of this!

Just a quick mention of the show itself; it really was a lot of fun

As well as a lasso act and a country and western band who are both really entertaining; the characters regularly come out on to the dance floor for a giant dance party with the kids

The characters do dance around the tables and in different areas of the dining area, but they don’t visit the tables in the same way that they do at the usual character dining experiences

I actually think it’s kind of cool to just let the kids play, dance and run around with the characters rather than stand in the line for a formal meet and greet and photo

They certainly seemed to be having a lot of fun and so did the adults to be honest :cool1:

c297c72b.jpg

At the end of the show we stayed back for a while to wait for the crowds to die down and as we left we spotted Mickey and Minnie with hardly any line

f14f7c0d.jpg

Overall we really enjoyed our evening here, the food was much, much better that I think either of us expected and it was such a fun and happy environment to dine in .... and that’s exactly what we want from a WDW evening :goodvibes

Coming Up Next - A Breakfast That Elvis Would Be Proud Of!

Really enjoyed your BBQ review, havent seen much information on this one before.:)

The food looked good and the characters costumes were so cute!

Great review of Mickey's BBQ. That is one I have not really heard much on. I love the picture of the characters :goodvibes

I'll agree with the others and say that I haven't seen many reviews of this so it was a pleasant surprise! The food looks very good and it sounds like a fun time. Thanks for your review on this!

I am another Diser that has not seen a Mickey's Backyard BBQ review! It sounds like a lot of fun and of course I'm a huge fan of BBQ so I can totally see doing this some day. Good thing I'm married to a carnivour that loves BBQ as well! :thumbsup2 The only unexpected part of your review for me was dessert... maybe I'm confusing Hoop De Doo but I would have thought they would have done something more in line with a BBQ like strawberry shortcake or apple pie or ?? something pic nicy! :laughing: But hey, Mickey bars - you can NEVER go wrong with those babies!! :love:

And... you did not let us down with the photo of the middle of your marble cup cake - for that you are awarded the title of Lady Linda Disboard Princess of the day! princess: :banana:

Hmmm... can't wait for your next review. I'm already trying to guess. :)

Hey Linda, when I saw the title of your latest update and saw the words 'Mickey's Backyard BBQ', I was a tad surprised, to say the least. I wasn't expecting it to have been your choice but nor did I imagine it would be your hubby's bag either. It does sound like you had a great time though and the food looked good. I love cornbread so could happily have eaten a plate of that with a side of ribs and chicken ;);)

Did you get up and dance?

And, by the way, may I say how lovely it is to see some pictures of you in this dining report :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter