Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished 10 miles. First, what a difference my wider shoes made. Feet don't ache like previous double digit runs.

Second, Honey Stingers. Where have you been all my life? So much better than the GUs I was forcing down. And they taste so darn good.

Thanks for the tip!

Happy training everyone!

cewait said:
Turn your 3G (or 4G) off. Oh and the wifi. The 'gps' function is really not a GPS function. It is triagulating off local cell towers so it only needs the cell antenna. I find that if you shut these down I can run the entire marathon on less than half the battery.

I am going to try that thanks!!!

Turn your 3G (or 4G) off. Oh and the wifi. The 'gps' function is really not a GPS function. It is triagulating off local cell towers so it only needs the cell antenna. I find that if you shut these down I can run the entire marathon on less than half the battery.

thank you, thank you, thank you for this advice!!

Running a 1/2 tomorrow morning and this morning I woke up with a scratchy throat. DD and DH have had a cold for a more than a week and I've managed to not get it........until now. Aargh! Why do they insist on sharing????

Any tips for not making it worse? The weather forecast looks crappy so there's another bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Running a 1/2 tomorrow morning and this morning I woke up with a scratchy throat. DD and DH have had a cold for a more than a week and I've managed to not get it........until now. Aargh! Why do they insist on sharing????

Any tips for not making it worse? The weather forecast looks crappy so there's another bonus.

The rule of thumb is go ahead and run if above the throat but sit out and rest if below the throat.

As long as you are only feeling scratchy and are not running a fever, go for it. Today - hydrate. You will be exhaling more as you cough or otherwise fight the scratchiness - that will tend to dehydrate you. I would also look to something like EmergenC

Thanks for the advice!
I'm going to check out the fitness center and make a decision once I'm there. I have to be in meetings all day so the walk/run will both have to start early - probably too early to do even a 7 miler outdoors in a strange city.

Amanda

cewait said:
The rule of thumb is go ahead and run if above the throat but sit out and rest if below the throat.

As long as you are only feeling scratchy and are not running a fever, go for it. Today - hydrate. You will be exhaling more as you cough or otherwise fight the scratchiness - that will tend to dehydrate you. I would also look to something like EmergenC

Hoping it doesn't go below! I ran a 10k with a chest cold back in June. Ugh. I needed a week off work after that.

PRmamiDEdos said:

That stinks!! Can you run with a cough drop or hard candy. I had a soar throat and it gets scratchy after a run. I would suggest keeping it wet with water or a drop of some sort.
Good luck!

Had a local 1/2 marathon this morning and it was awful!! I started out too fast and completely bonked. Plus it was 83 by the finish with 95% humidity. I was drenched. Add to all that I had a migraine for the past two days. It was my worst 1/2 EVER!!! Going to do 10 tomorrow at recovery pace, hope it goes better:p.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Long run complete. 13 miles using a walk/run/walk/run...system. Actually faster than I wanted to be, 2:20 and was thinking 2:30 would be good. Beautiful day here. The last mile was mostly walk, and this was my first time doing the walk/run and the beeper didn't sound on my watch, need to work on that and do a test. I was working on a 3 min run/2 min. walk...worked well and then as I pooped out, I went to 2 min. run/3 min. walk. Just had to keep looking at my watch.
I decided on a run 3 days a week program from an old Women's Running (Mar/Apr '11) magazine. Two days of cross training and two days off.
I really thought this would be easier after walking 12-18 miles a day, and carrying a 14 pound pack for 3 weeks in Sept. My Monday run of 6 miles was good but my legs (upper), quads, hams and sides were sore for 3 days.
Hope all the LR's are going well for everyone.

joan4mickey said:
Long run complete. 13 miles using a walk/run/walk/run...system. Actually faster than I wanted to be, 2:20 and was thinking 2:30 would be good. Beautiful day here. The last mile was mostly walk, and this was my first time doing the walk/run and the beeper didn't sound on my watch, need to work on that and do a test. I was working on a 3 min run/2 min. walk...worked well and then as I pooped out, I went to 2 min. run/3 min. walk. Just had to keep looking at my watch.
I decided on a run 3 days a week program from an old Women's Running (Mar/Apr '11) magazine. Two days of cross training and two days off.
I really thought this would be easier after walking 12-18 miles a day, and carrying a 14 pound pack for 3 weeks in Sept. My Monday run of 6 miles was good but my legs (upper), quads, hams and sides were sore for 3 days.
Hope all the LR's are going well for everyone.

That sounds great! If I can do that time tomorrow, I just might be able to catch the 2nd 1/2 half of DD's soccer game.

Picked up my bib and race swag for my first full tomorrow. :eek: The hay is in the barn as they say, but I am still nervous for this. Weather forecast is cool and cloudy, rain is supposed to hold off until tomorrow evening.:thumbsup2

I am expecting a 5-5:15 finish time, using a 9:2 run/walk strategy. Course is mostly flat with an elevation loss of 370'. This race is a big Boston qualifier, so the clydesdales like me will have plenty of room in the back;)

VernRDH said:
Picked up my bib and race swag for my first full tomorrow. :eek: The hay is in the barn as they say, but I am still nervous for this. Weather forecast is cool and cloudy, rain is supposed to hold off until tomorrow evening.:thumbsup2

I am expecting a 5-5:15 finish time, using a 9:2 run/walk strategy. Course is mostly flat with an elevation loss of 370'. This race is a big Boston qualifier, so the clydesdales like me will have plenty of room in the back;)

Good luck!!!!!

VernRDH said:

Good luck.

I actually bailed on a 1/2 marathon thus morning. I had paid yet but was gonna sign up this week. Due to weather forecast, I opted for extra rest. Good thing too...Local running store reported higher temps and miserable humidity. Runners were hurting.

Looks like my bet paid off.

Good luck!

VernRDH said:

Omg, are you doing the Mohawk Hudson? Me too and I plan on having a similar time! If you see a girl in a white hat, pony tail, bright green long sleeve shirt -it's me! My name is Kimberly. Good luck to us!

cewait said:

If you have a 3G iPad, then the GPS functionality IS true GPS based upon an actual GPS receiver in the device. It is only the WiFi-only iPads that use the triangulation method.

The IPod Touch only does triangulation over WiFi.

The iPhones also have GPS receivers built in for true GPS functionality.

But it is true that turning off the 3G radio will save tons of power because the devices won't constantly be communicating with cell towers for connections and checking for email, text messages, and other supporting network requests from other apps.

Ran my first half marathon today! My goal was 2:15 and I made it in 2:14:36! I was hoping to do around 2:10, but my knee blew up on me around mile 9 and forced me to run/walk the last 4 miles. I think it is IT band stuff, so I am going to get a compression sleeve and foam roller. And slow the hell down when I run - I always go out too fast and injure myself!

Where is everyone planning on eating after the marathon? We haven't been to Disney since 2002 so have no idea what restaurants are there now.

I was thinking of doing a sit-down somewhere semi-nice maybe mid-afternoon. 4 adults - my parents, myself, and my brother. American/seafood/steak. We are staying at the Contemporary, not that we are limited to that. :) Any suggestions are welcome!

Omg, are you doing the Mohawk Hudson? Me too and I plan on having a similar time! If you see a girl in a white hat, pony tail, bright green long sleeve shirt -it's me! My name is Kimberly. Good luck to us!

Yes I am doing the Mohawk Hudson! Are you on the runners blog on the TU too? I have bib #1193-I will be in black with a white hat and lime green compression socks. Good luck to you too!

And thank you to everyone for the good wishes-I will report back tomorrow night!

VernRDH said:
Yes I am doing the Mohawk Hudson! Are you on the runners blog on the TU too? I have bib #1193-I will be in black with a white hat and lime green compression socks. Good luck to you too!

And thank you to everyone for the good wishes-I will report back tomorrow night!

I am on that blog. I'm bib number 477. See you there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter