Official Dancing With the Stars: Season 17

V.A.L.E.R.I.E!!!
Wave.gif
Wave.gif

+1 :worship:

Okay, the first post has been updated with all the phone numbers to vote and the web link to vote online. :surfweb:

Thought Snookie was a hot mess but then I'm not a fan of hers.

I thought it maybe wasn't a stretch from her clubbing days? Was probably the music tho. What was the dance they did? Obviously not the Waltz, lol.

I thought it maybe wasn't a stretch from her clubbing days? Was probably the music tho. What was the dance they did? Obviously not the Waltz, lol.

It was the Snooki version of the cha-cha-cha. :crazy2:

I'm not saying that the other pros don't get people that haven't had dance experience but Derek's never gotten a female Andy Dick or Wynona. He's never had a partner like Florence Henderson or Valerie Harper. I'd like to see him really challenged, show us what he could do with someone that can't keep a beat or is older. Even though some of those you mentioned didn't have any "formal" training, they could keep a beat, had rhythm, experience with some sort of choreography, etc.

His "luck" with partners has been a complaint on here for years. I guess we can agree to disagree.

yeah, I've seen people complain about it. He hasn't gotten an older star because, according to the producers, they like to match the up by age as closely as possible. They wouldn't want someone like Florence Henderson dancing with Derek while Corky had a really young star. Personally, I think that Derek hasn't had any "bad" partners because he has shown that he knows how to teach and to hide flaws. They have no way of knowing who has talent before they start dancing and the fact that Derek has had partners with no dance training at all who have done as well as they have is more than a coincidence, in my opinion. Take this season, for example. He has a plus-sized woman who had never taken a dance lesson in her life. She just happens to be able to really move? I think Derek knew how to make her look good and knew how to teach to her strengths.

I don't care who Derek gets, DD12 LOVES him and I enjoy watching him no matter who he is with. I think he does a great job. But why does Tristan ALWAYS get the oldest lady? Gladys Knight, Dorothy Hamill, Valerie Harper, oh, and Pamela Anderson...At least Gladys got by on her fame for a few weeks. Tristan needs to get a younger partner sometimes!

I don't care who Derek gets, DD12 LOVES him and I enjoy watching him no matter who he is with. I think he does a great job. But why does Tristan ALWAYS get the oldest lady? Gladys Knight, Dorothy Hamill, Valerie Harper, oh, and Pamela Anderson...At least Gladys got by on her fame for a few weeks. Tristan needs to get a younger partner sometimes!

DD19 and I were sad about that too - she loves Tristan. But then as we were watching them dance last night, we were chatting about it, and wondered if maybe that is what he excels at. As much as I respect her and admire her courage, Valerie Harper is going to need some fairly specialized choreography to help her cope. Being as Tristan always gets the older ladies, maybe he is good at tailoring things to their needs?

Except Pamela Anderson, who defies understanding...

DD19 and I were sad about that too - she loves Tristan. But then as we were watching them dance last night, we were chatting about it, and wondered if maybe that is what he excels at. As much as I respect her and admire her courage, Valerie Harper is going to need some fairly specialized choreography to help her cope. Being as Tristan always gets the older ladies, maybe he is good at tailoring things to their needs?

Except Pamela Anderson, who defies understanding...

Yes I almost said something about that earlier, that I think his personality is suited to catering to them. He certainly has patience and understanding. But still. I just want to see (and hear!) him almost the whole season. :love:

Valerie is getting lots of love from the crowd so maybe we can get by on votes for a while!

I adore Tristan, as well. I loved him from the first time he was on the show and said that Derek might have three mirror ball trophies, but that he (Tristan) had the luck of the Irish on his side. Then he gave that little smile of his. I melted.

I do wish he would get different stars, but he is just so wonderfully patient with his partners that I almost feel like it will be his downfall. Almost like the producers know that they can give him someone who will likely struggle and he will have the patience of a saint with her. That's not necessarily the case with some of the other pros. I feel like Tony is the same way.

Does anyone know how they are going to do eliminations this year since their is no results show on Tuesdays?

I am thinking everyone will practice and perform then send someone home at the end instead of the beginning of the show.

Interesting beginning to the show.

Brent didn't do too bad. The white stripes down the sides of his pants called attention to his leg work.

Did they say that he was/is on Pretty Little Liars? I don't recall him and I watch the show.

An 8 from Len????

Brant is Noel Kahn :)

I must have missed something, is there no texting votes this year? Any idea why the change?

My overall impression of last night: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Mostly, I was bored. LOL Also, I hate the new format. I was psyched that it seemed like we might get less Brooke time but that does not seem to be the case. Boooo. Having all the dancers sitting right next to the judges made the whole thing seem like a dress rehearsal or something.

Having said all that, I will still watch. And based on last night, my votes will likely go to Jack, Leah and Valerie.

I'm not a fan of Sharon Osbourne and could take or leave Kelly Osbourne, but Jack seems very nice. Glad he did so well.

yeah, I've seen people complain about it. He hasn't gotten an older star because, according to the producers, they like to match the up by age as closely as possible. They wouldn't want someone like Florence Henderson dancing with Derek while Corky had a really young star. Personally, I think that Derek hasn't had any "bad" partners because he has shown that he knows how to teach and to hide flaws. They have no way of knowing who has talent before they start dancing and the fact that Derek has had partners with no dance training at all who have done as well as they have is more than a coincidence, in my opinion. Take this season, for example. He has a plus-sized woman who had never taken a dance lesson in her life. She just happens to be able to really move? I think Derek knew how to make her look good and knew how to teach to her strengths.

Matching by age is so not true. Otherwise Bill Nye wouldn't have been matched up with that YOUNG blonde, Tyne. They would have brought on Corky' wife (and Mark's mother) to dance with him. Even Bill mentioned how the ones that make it have some sexual chemistry between them. Then when I looked at those two I thought that better NOT happen, as it would be really skeevy for that man to look like he was leering at a woman who looks young enough to be his granddaughter! :crazy2:

Also, Tristan wouldn't be stuck with all the old ladies. :p

Does anyone know how they are going to do eliminations this year since their is no results show on Tuesdays?

I am thinking everyone will practice and perform then send someone home at the end instead of the beginning of the show.

I must have missed something, is there no texting votes this year? Any idea why the change?

I found this on the ABC website on how it all works. I guess no texting this year.

1. How does the show work this season?
Things are a little different for Fall 2013. During the live show every Monday night, the stars will dance their hearts out. Then, fans like you vote for your favorite dancers.

The following week, the stars will perform again, and the judges will give each couple a score based on several factors, including technical execution. Those scores will be added to your votes from the previous week, and the couple with the lowest combined score from judges and viewer votes will be eliminated from the competition toward the end of that week’s episode.

So for example, your votes after Week 2 will be combined with the judges’ scores from Week 3 to determine who goes home at the end of Week 3. That means these dancers will have to bring it every week. If they had a bad week followed by a good week, the judges might be their saving grace. But a terrible performance might be enough to cancel out a solid performance the week prior -- you’ll have to watch to find out.

The scoring and format of the show is unique to the series and is not based on a standard dance championship. The competition is governed by the Official Rules made available to each couple; the summary here is for informational purposes only.

2. So how do I vote?
We have three convenient ways for you to keep your favorite stars dancing. You can vote by phone or do it online, either at ABC.com or on Facebook at http://apps.facebook.com/votedwts. And you have to be 13 years old…sorry, tweens!

3. When exactly can I vote?
Phone voting begins during the show on Mondays, and is open until 60 minutes after the conclusion of that show in your local time zone.

Online voting at both ABC.com and Facebook opens each Monday when the show begins on the East Coast at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) and stays open until 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) the next day. During the season’s final week on Monday, November 25, online voting will open when the show begins on the East Coast at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT) and will stay open until 11 a.m. ET (8 a.m. PT) on Tuesday, November 26.

They changed the end times to vote online. People can still vote right now! :yay:

Matching by age is so not true. Otherwise Bill Nye wouldn't have been matched up with that YOUNG blonde, Tyne. They would have brought on Corky' wife (and Mark's mother) to dance with him. Even Bill mentioned how the ones that make it have some sexual chemistry between them. Then when I looked at those two I thought that better NOT happen, as it would be really skeevy for that man to look like he was leering at a woman who looks young enough to be his granddaughter! :crazy2:

Also, Tristan wouldn't be stuck with all the old ladies. :p

I just know that I read that they look at age first, then height, and then personality. Tristan, Maks, and Tony seem to be the taller pros while Derek, Mark, and Louis seem to be the shorter ones. Sasha, while new this year, also seems to be short.

I thought that Bruno and Len were very rude/disrespectful to Bill Nye.

I agree. There was no need for it on night one and though he was not good, I did not think he was much worse than some others. Though DL Hughley annoyed me a lot by the end of his run last year, I often felt like the judges were unnecessarily cruel to him in some of their comments. I worry that Bill Nye is their DL for this season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter