Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright can anyone help me out?

I want to get a cake for my Dad for next month. I can't get it in MK because he'll be there when we are getting it and setting some other stuff up. Where should I get it from. I think I want an 8 inch (there will be 8 of us and we really don't need any extra) and I am aware those aren't able to be customized (I'm fine with bringing my own decorations as I decorate cakes quite often).

Should I get one from the Boardwalk Bakery? I need it to be made with a sugar substitute (which I know they can do) ALSO What about those Mickey Heads? How big are they? Can it be made with a sugar substitute? Can they have writing on them? We're thinking about heading to Epcot for the evening, should we get one there?

Also why does it say an 8 inch here is $25 and other places it says $32? Would 6 inches be enough for 8 people who really don't need a lot of cake?

i cant help on where to get it, but, you can get an 8 inch customized, i got a 6 inch customizedlast month at 1900 park fare. lately it seems to depend on who youspeak with on what you can or cant have customized.

6inches- fed me and hubby and ds two a genrous piece. we then gave a third of our cake to a fellow disser(altho didnt get her name- darn!) and her two peeps travellign with her, then when we returned home me, dh, ds and the inlaws also had a slice after supper. so that makes atleast 8 slices not including what i gave away.

Didn't even know about this thread when I called- we needed to speak directly to the Mama Melrose to book (large party) and the lady suggested talking to the bakery coordinator about a cake.
I only requested a 1 tier cake in the mad hatter style and at the time I thought $75 was pricey for an 8th birthday cake:confused:, but went ahead anyway. I wrote down everything she told me, hence the quotation marks, and even have her name and title....(but I don't want to get her in trouble if she low-balled my price);)

It BETTER be the Mad Hatter cake and not some horrific monstrosity like I've seen here for other guests.:headache: And I will not roll over and play nice if it's not the cake I ordered. I was very specific.:mad::mad::mad:

We are eating at Mama Melrose on December 14th...and I will post pics as soon as possible.:thumbsup2

For any Disers who will be at Disney- maybe we'll see ya!:goodvibes
We'll be the rather large group from the Philly area that will not tolerate any shenanigans from the SA tour groups. ;)(Who I've heard may be in town that week.)

MVMCP on the 13th
Hollywood Studios, Fantasmic and Osborne Lights on the 14th
My sisters wedding at the GF Wedding Pavillion on the 15th
Off to Universal from Wed the 16th until Sunday the 20th:banana::banana:

Hope that your cake is everything you're hoping for. I'll be at DHS on the 14th as well (maybe I'll hang around MM looking for someone walking out of the restaurant with a cake box to snag a piece :lmao:).

i cant help on where to get it, but, you can get an 8 inch customized, i got a 6 inch customizedlast month at 1900 park fare. lately it seems to depend on who youspeak with on what you can or cant have customized.

6inches- fed me and hubby and ds two a genrous piece. we then gave a third of our cake to a fellow disser(altho didnt get her name- darn!) and her two peeps travellign with her, then when we returned home me, dh, ds and the inlaws also had a slice after supper. so that makes atleast 8 slices not including what i gave away.

I guess I should also add that we need to pick it up and take it back to the room! I'm looking for the cheapest cake possible. I honestly don't mind decorating it because I already have everything to do so!

I guess I should also add that we need to pick it up and take it back to the room! I'm looking for the cheapest cake possible. I honestly don't mind decorating it because I already have everything to do so!

lurkyloo will probably have the best answer for you...shes stalked atleast one bakery out and taken pics to report back here! lol

To JimmyJr'sMom Have a great time ,
We will be at MVMCP on the 13th also.

God Bless your sister on her wedding daypixiedust:

may order my cake on Monday .

Mary;)

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

How do I get this cake:

cake3.jpg

at California Grill? THANK YOU! :thumbsup2

What would the rate be on this cake:thumbsup2

Mary;)

Earlier this evening I received a call back from Pat at the Grand Floridian. I left a message for ordering a cake on the 27th of November. This is a cake for a combination celebration, first visit & birthday for both my kids.

After my conversation I was very let down and told her I would call her back.

I tried to order a specialty 8 -10 inch cake. Before I could even describe what I wanted she was pushing the $48.00 Mickey cake. I told her as a family we could not decide on one character so I was looking to have a more specialized cake for this celebration.

I mentioned the Gnache icing, she said they do not decorate these cakes with any toppers and pushed the Mickey cake or fondant.

I agreed to fondant and said I would like a whimsical cake that has the look of a whimisical Disney Celebration cake with the swirled Mickey heads on the side with the fondant icing with maybe something looking like grafitti. She pushed the Mickey cake once again.

I responded saying that I really wanted something special. And she said well we could do the Mickey head with a banner saying Happy Birthday and hope you enjoy your first visit. Even the banner suggestion was boring.. I was thinking more along the lines of two special celebrations for two special kids.

Ok .. I get it.. you really want me to order the Mickey Head.. but I want a special cake. I told her I would think about it and call her back. She obviously had no intention of working with me.

I hope this was just due to the holiday week and being busy. Otherwise...I am very sad. She had no interest at all in working with me.

Now I guess I call back and try a different restaurant? I remember reading good things about Pat, but I don't want the Mickey cake otherwise I would haved ordered that.

Should I get one from the Boardwalk Bakery? I need it to be made with a sugar substitute (which I know they can do)

The BoardWalk Bakery is the only one on property that lets you pick up a cake, and if they say they can make one with sugar substitute, then I say go for it.

ALSO What about those Mickey Heads? How big are they?

They feed up to 14 people.

Can it be made with a sugar substitute?

This is something only a Disney pastry chef can tell you for sure.

Can they have writing on them?

They put the writing on the cake plate.

We're thinking about heading to Epcot for the evening, should we get one there?

I have never seen Mickey head cakes offered by Epcot restaurants.

Also why does it say an 8 inch here is $25 and other places it says $32?

Because that thread is 3 years old.

Would 6 inches be enough for 8 people who really don't need a lot of cake?

Yes. We had 6 people at our party and only managed to eat 1/3 of a 6-inch cake. They are very tall, so you can't cut the slices very thick unless you have the appetite of a linebacker.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

How do I get this cake:

cake3.jpg

at California Grill? THANK YOU! :thumbsup2

Call the California Grill and ask to be transfered to Private Dining. Tell the person who answers that you want to order a custom 6-inch cake in the Mad Hatter style with fondant. If they don't know what you're talking about, ask to speak to a pastry chef. Get the email address and send them that picture.

I read that it was $75. I just want to know how I can get it. Does the Contemporary make them? Or will I have to bring it from DTD? Anybody??:worship:

At the resorts, that cake starts at $100 and goes up. Any time you get fondant and an unusual shape and that many decorations, you're looking at $$$. Call Private Dining at the Contemporary to find out costs and options. You cannot get a Mad Hatter cake at Downtown Disney - there are no bakeries there. :thumbsup2

Earlier this evening I received a call back from Pat at the Grand Floridian. I left a message for ordering a cake on the 27th of November. This is a cake for a combination celebration, first visit & birthday for both my kids.

After my conversation I was very let down and told her I would call her back.

I tried to order a specialty 8 -10 inch cake. Before I could even describe what I wanted she was pushing the $48.00 Mickey cake. I told her as a family we could not decide on one character so I was looking to have a more specialized cake for this celebration.

I mentioned the Gnache icing, she said they do not decorate these cakes with any toppers and pushed the Mickey cake or fondant.

I agreed to fondant and said I would like a whimsical cake that has the look of a whimisical Disney Celebration cake with the swirled Mickey heads on the side with the fondant icing with maybe something looking like grafitti. She pushed the Mickey cake once again.

I responded saying that I really wanted something special. And she said well we could do the Mickey head with a banner saying Happy Birthday and hope you enjoy your first visit. Even the banner suggestion was boring.. I was thinking more along the lines of two special celebrations for two special kids.

Ok .. I get it.. you really want me to order the Mickey Head.. but I want a special cake. I told her I would think about it and call her back. She obviously had no intention of working with me.

I hope this was just due to the holiday week and being busy. Otherwise...I am very sad. She had no interest at all in working with me.

Now I guess I call back and try a different restaurant? I remember reading good things about Pat, but I don't want the Mickey cake otherwise I would haved ordered that.

All I can think of is that she's received so much negative feedback about custom cakes lately that she's really trying to help you avoid disappointment? :confused3 If you don't feel like calling back while wearing Groucho Marx glasses and disguising your voice, try calling Private Dining at the Yacht & Beach Clubs or the Contemporary and ordering a cake for one of their restaurants. :)

Well I did end up hearing back from Marie at the Contemporary yesterday, thank goodness! She was much better about getting details etc. I told her that I wanted an 8 inch vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream filling and that our anniversary is Dec 11th so something Christmasy/Winter themed. I told her our colors and what flowers I carried and that we originally had a cinderella and prince charming cake topper. So she suggested at first doing a glass slipper surrounded by poinsettas and snowflakes. Then she said she was going to call Brian and talk to him then get back to me. She called him and he offered the white chocolate cinderella and prince charming cake topper instead of the slipper and it would up the price to $100 from $62. I was fine with that! I can't wait to see it!!! I'll be sure to post pictures when we get back!

Shannon

Has anyone had the treasure chest full of cup cakes? I am looking at getting this for my niece on her 10th bday. How big is it, hard to tell form the picutre. There are ging to be 4 kids at the dinner.

I only requested 1 tier- as matter of fact- the primary color 1 tier mad hatter that is all over this thread is the cake I wanted. But when the lady came back on the phone this is what she said:
- “I just spoke with one of the Bakery Chefs. They can use an 8 inch van. and a 10 inch van. cake to make a Mad Hatter cake. They would use fondant frosting for this cake. The price is $75.00 plus tax. Will be a fresh made cake.
I Requested Primary Colors with “Have a Mad Mad Birthday Jimmy!” inscription.

Sorry for the confusion- and I'm not sure why she changed it to 2 tier, but I'm not gonna complain for $75... maybe Mama Melrose doesn't get as many orders for special cakes?:confused3

Maybe GF can demand a higher price because there's more demand for the cakes?

Well I'm really not sure what to do now? I got an email back from Brian at the CR regarding the cake I want to order. This is what Brian said: The smallest two tiered cake we can do would be a 6" on top of a 10" and the price would be $400. As far as cakes go we offer yellow, chocolate and marble. Fillings we offer white choc mousse, choc mousse, butter cream (vanilla or choc), fruit mousse, custard and strawberries.

This price seems really high and they don't have the white cake I wanted for one of the layers! The GF was going to charge approx. $180-$200, but with all the reviews of GF cakes lately I'm not comfortable taking the chance with that much money that my cake may or may not be good.

For those that live in the area or might know is there any decent bakeries off property some where in Orlando?
It's starting to look more and more that DH and I were not meant to have cake for our wedding.

Has anyone had the treasure chest full of cup cakes? I am looking at getting this for my niece on her 10th bday. How big is it, hard to tell form the picutre. There are ging to be 4 kids at the dinner.

It is not a treasure chest full of cupcakes- it is a small treasure chest with one small loaf style "cupcake"

There is a picture of it here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33446565&postcount=92

It is about the size of 2 twinkies...maybe a teeny bit bigger.

Hope that helps some. :)

For those that live in the area or might know is there any decent bakeries off property some where in Orlando?

I'm not in South Florida but I know that they have a Publix pretty close to WDW and they make great cakes. Publix Bakery

Good luck!

Well I'm really not sure what to do now? I got an email back from Brian at the CR regarding the cake I want to order. This is what Brian said: The smallest two tiered cake we can do would be a 6" on top of a 10" and the price would be $400. As far as cakes go we offer yellow, chocolate and marble. Fillings we offer white choc mousse, choc mousse, butter cream (vanilla or choc), fruit mousse, custard and strawberries.

This price seems really high and they don't have the white cake I wanted for one of the layers! The GF was going to charge approx. $180-$200, but with all the reviews of GF cakes lately I'm not comfortable taking the chance with that much money that my cake may or may not be good.

It's starting to look more and more that DH and I were not meant to have cake for our wedding.

Hi, I am not sure if they do WEDDING cakes but the PUBLIX on VINELAND has a BAKERY. I got my DD 2 Birthday cakes there in July. One was all chocolate with a ganache topping(so delicious!!) and the other was a white cake with a buttercream frosting(this one was delicious also!!) The cakes were VERY fresh and stayed good in the fridge for the few days we were at WDW for her Birthday. Both cakes were 6-8 inches and were not ordered. I went to the PUBLIX after we shopped at the OUTLETS and they were in the display case. They included candles and matches with the cakes!! ( I had to get 2 because my DD loves chocolate BUT her 2 brothers do not.) My DD has already asked if we can pick up a cake at Publix when we are at WDW for Thanksgiving!! So maybe you could CALL and ask about a WEDDING cake.:) GOOD LUCK! Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter