Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

My DBF and I just signed up for the half. We did the Wine and Dine Half and Half last night and had so much fun that we wanted to come back!

Glad to have you both on board! And I'm really glad you both enjoyed the Wine & Dine race. I was hearing a lot of unfortunate comments due to the lightning changing the route and all that, but it's good to hear some positive notes. :)

Can't wait for April!

Glad to have you both on board! And I'm really glad you both enjoyed the Wine & Dine race. I was hearing a lot of unfortunate comments due to the lightning changing the route and all that, but it's good to hear some positive notes. :)

Can't wait for April!

I'm so excited to have the opportunity to run another runDisney event!

I'm thinking of purchasing Memory Maker, so my question is, do you know if the race photos would be included in that (I thought I had read they were not)? I assume there are Photopass photographers wherever the characters are along the course? Would the Photopass pictures be included in MM?

I'm thinking of purchasing Memory Maker, so my question is, do you know if the race photos would be included in that (I thought I had read they were not)? I assume there are Photopass photographers wherever the characters are along the course? Would the Photopass pictures be included in MM?
No. The on-course photos are done by an outside company called MarathonFoto. The only way your race pictures would be included in the Memory Maker would be if you happened to catch a PP phtographer at a character when running through a park that is already open, which only is possible during the WDW Marathon or at the very end of one of the half marathons (if the course goes through a park at the end).

Am I okay at the AKL? I was at W&D and booked a bounceback. I thought it was relatively close to WWOS where I understand this will end up. However, I was on another thread, and folks on that thread indicated that AKL was a disaster on marathon weekend because of all the road closures. I assume I will be running into some of that at AKL. What are people's thoughts on staying at AKL? I was really wanting to be close to WWOS, and the discount on the mods for bounceback wasn't as great as before, so I splurged with AKL.

Am I okay at the AKL? I was at W&D and booked a bounceback. I thought it was relatively close to WWOS where I understand this will end up. However, I was on another thread, and folks on that thread indicated that AKL was a disaster on marathon weekend because of all the road closures. I assume I will be running into some of that at AKL. What are people's thoughts on staying at AKL? I was really wanting to be close to WWOS, and the discount on the mods for bounceback wasn't as great as before, so I splurged with AKL.
I have not experienced AKL myself but I was going to book it as well and realized with the road closures it would be near impossible for family to meet me after the race. It also depends on if you are going alone. If you will just be running it and will come in towards the end it shouldn't be a problem.

Just signed up me and DH for the Star Wars half! We recently returned from WDW doing the W&D half half. It was meant to be our first half, which sadly didn't turn out as we had expected. Hoping for redemption in April!

I'm going to have to just sign up now that the percentages aren't on the website. I don't really want to pass up the chance to do an anniversary race (Tink) and an inaugural one. Who doesn't want the ability to be a Legacy runner?! I just don't want the $500 round trip flight.

Just signed up as well - booked the trip and I'm so excited for my first 1/2 marathon! Anyone else run/walking solo? Let me know your interval - maybe we can stick together

We stayed at AKL marathon 2014 and it was fine. Granted, we didn't have anyone come meet us, just rode the bus there and back. Planning to stay there again for Star Wars. It's nice and peaceful. Good place for pre race relax.

We stayed at AKL marathon 2014 and it was fine. Granted, we didn't have anyone come meet us, just rode the bus there and back. Planning to stay there again for Star Wars. It's nice and peaceful. Good place for pre race relax.
That is good to hear (about AKL). We're staying there for the first time for SW race weekend (also first rundisney event).

Has anyone tried the Hanson half marathon plan (not the full)? I was thinking of trying that for Star Wars Dark Side half. Also, since I am doing the Dark Side Challenge, do I need to add to the plan to be better prepared for back-to-back races?

@DopeyBadger, @IamTrike, and anyone else that has used Hanson's... any thoughts/words of wisdom?

Has anyone tried the Hanson half marathon plan (not the full)? I was thinking of trying that for Star Wars Dark Side half. Also, since I am doing the Dark Side Challenge, do I need to add to the plan to be better prepared for back-to-back races?

@DopeyBadger, @IamTrike, and anyone else that has used Hanson's... any thoughts/words of wisdom?

As you know, I've used Hanson's Full (an intermediate plan I created between their Beginner and Advanced) but haven't ever used the half plan. My mom is currently using the half plan to train for the Disney World half-marathon. She is enjoying it throughly. My personal opinion is it is a bit more advanced when compared to most half-marathon plans. It tops out at 44 miles per the copied plan I made for my mom. It's actually not THAT far off from their beginner marathon plan. The only difference is the TEMPO goes from 3 miles to 6 miles, instead of 6 miles to 10 miles. And, the long runs are up to 12 miles instead of up to 16.

I will say that I was VERY disappointed with the half-marathon book. It was clear to me after reading the marathon book first that little effort was used to create the half-marathon book a few years later. There were many portions in the half book that I felt unnecessarily referenced the full marathon (almost like they were suggesting, "oh big deal, you're just running a half"). I found it more as a money grab than an honest effort to create a plan (although I understand where they're coming from). The biggest thing that irked me about it was their large pacing chart that included the marathon tempo pace and strength pace (based on marathon), rather than having the appropriate half-marathon tempo pace and strength (based on half). It confused the heck out of my mom.

Whether you should use the plan, in my opinion, is based on your goals. Do you plan on seriously racing the 10K and Half, or do you plan on conserving something during the 10K and going all out on the half?

If you use the plan, then you will likely see huge gains (like I did and many others have). I also would suggest to not make any changes to the plan as you'll likely be well prepared to run the 10K and half well. Your half simulated run would be Sunday's "Long Run", and the 10K simulated run would be Tuesday's "Speed/Strength".

You could also consider a plan like the one I made for Berniemgr in the Disney World thread (which I've attached here). Although, I could customize this to tailor your needs as well. In case you're not already using a 6-day a week half plan, I see this attached plan as a happy medium. I would just need to know 1) your most recent race performance (preferably half-marathon), 2) how many/which days you'd like to run on, and 3) when you'd like it to start.

Let me know if you have any questions or whether you'd like me to put a plan together for you based on the Hansons and other training plan philosophies I've compiled..

Attachments

• Training for Berniemgr 2015_11_10 option B.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 20
Let me know if you have any questions or whether you'd like me to put a plan together for you based on the Hansons and other training plan philosophies I've compiled..

@DopeyBadger, thank you so much for the offer, but I know you already spend quite a bit of time on other folks' training plans here. Plus, I probably will have more buy-in if I spend the time to develop my own plan.

I do have a couple questions, though, based on your response above. I downloaded the sample (first couple chapters) of the Hansons Half Marathon Method book for free on Google Play, but given your dislike of that book, would it be better for me to purchase and read the full marathon book? Would I be able to come up with a good half marathon plan if I read the marathon book? Also, I think you have completed Dopey before, so you are familiar with back-to-back races. Would you suggest taking one run easy and racing the other on the Dark Side Challenge, or trying for more equal effort between the races? For example, let's say my 10k goal race pace is 7:35-7:40 and my half marathon goal race pace is about 8:05-8:10. If I was trying to spread the effort equally, I might run the 10k at a 7:50-7:55 pace and the half at a 8:20-8:25 pace. Otherwise, I could take one close to my goal race pace, and just jog the other.

Just so you have a little background on me, I have been running (off and on, but mostly "on" except for a few years after our first child) for about 27 years. I have completed seven (I think) marathons in the past and several half marathons, but my last full marathon was over 10 years ago and my last half marathon was a little over two years ago. I didn't race much this year; in fact, I only did one 5k, one 10k, and one 15k all within the last couple months. My longest run this year was yesterday at 12 miles, and I have been in the 20-30 miles per week range for the last couple months.

Recent races:
5k - 22:44 (7:19 pace)
10k - 47:35 (7:39 pace)
15k - 1:15:59 (8:09 pace) - this was not an all out effort, but given how the last two miles felt, it might have been pretty close

Last half marathon (9/2013) - 1:49:14 (8:20 pace), pretty hilly course

About a year or two ago, I was about 15-20 seconds per mile faster, but I had a hamstring injury, followed by a REALLY lazy winter last year, so I lost some speed and had to ease back into things this year. I am finally at a place where I feel I have a good base to work from.

I am doing a half marathon on Thanksgiving morning, but it is a trail run and will likely be pretty cold, so I do not really expect I will race it, but I may try for an 8:30 pace. After that race, I don't really have a plan, and hence why I am trying to figure out my next training plan to get ready for a good Dark Side Challenge. My main goal is to improve my performance.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
@DopeyBadger, thank you so much for the offer, but I know you already spend quite a bit of time on other folks' training plans here. Plus, I probably will have more buy-in if I spend the time to develop my own plan.

I do have a couple questions, though, based on your response above. I downloaded the sample (first couple chapters) of the Hansons Half Marathon Method book for free on Google Play, but given your dislike of that book, would it be better for me to purchase and read the full marathon book? Would I be able to come up with a good half marathon plan if I read the marathon book? Also, I think you have completed Dopey before, so you are familiar with back-to-back races. Would you suggest taking one run easy and racing the other on the Dark Side Challenge, or trying for more equal effort between the races? For example, let's say my 10k goal race pace is 7:35-7:40 and my half marathon goal race pace is about 8:05-8:10. If I was trying to spread the effort equally, I might run the 10k at a 7:50-7:55 pace and the half at a 8:20-8:25 pace. Otherwise, I could take one close to my goal race pace, and just jog the other.

Just so you have a little background on me, I have been running (off and on, but mostly "on" except for a few years after our first child) for about 27 years. I have completed seven (I think) marathons in the past and several half marathons, but my last full marathon was over 10 years ago and my last half marathon was a little over two years ago. I didn't race much this year; in fact, I only did one 5k, one 10k, and one 15k all within the last couple months. My longest run this year was yesterday at 12 miles, and I have been in the 20-30 miles per week range for the last couple months.

Recent races:
5k - 22:44 (7:19 pace)
10k - 47:35 (7:39 pace)
15k - 1:15:59 (8:09 pace) - this was not an all out effort, but given how the last two miles felt, it might have been pretty close

Last half marathon (9/2013) - 1:49:14 (8:20 pace), pretty hilly course

About a year or two ago, I was about 15-20 seconds per mile faster, but I had a hamstring injury, followed by a REALLY lazy winter last year, so I lost some speed and had to ease back into things this year. I am finally at a place where I feel I have a good base to work from.

I am doing a half marathon on Thanksgiving morning, but it is a trail run and will likely be pretty cold, so I do not really expect I will race it, but I may try for an 8:30 pace. After that race, I don't really have a plan, and hence why I am trying to figure out my next training plan to get ready for a good Dark Side Challenge. My main goal is to improve my performance.

I appreciate your thoughts!

If you were to put the half and full book next to each other, the first couple of chapters are nearly identical. The biggest problem with the half book, to me, is the sheer number of references to the marathon. I don't blame them, essentially they copied and pasted the marathon book and then edited a few paragraphs to make it a half marathon book. But there are several sections that I felt inappropriately mentioned the marathon (like the chart I referenced earlier). However, I do think based on your experience the half marathon book would be sufficient to develop a plan. If you ever do plan on running a marathon again, then you'll be so close to the beginner marathon plan that buying the marathon book would be better. Wishy-washy answer but based on your experience what you'll get out of the book comes from the first couple chapters.

Personally, I have run Dopey twice. I choose to run all 4 races for PR effort. How I approach this is key. For all my races, I run based on feel and not based on any certain pace. I know what the effort of a 5K, 10K, etc. should feel like. So, this keeps me from burning out because I listen to my body and allow it to dictate pace. Another key, is that I personally have a very fast recovery system. I am able to sustain near PR pace at each race because I don't carry over much fatigue from one day to the next. That's why Hansons (or any 6-day plan for that matter) works really well for me. How your body reacts to the consecutive days of training will help dictate whether you will be able to try for a PR on the 10K with confidence that it won't zap you so much you can't go for the PR on the half as well. During my training with Hansons, I ran the most miles in a single week in my life (60) with a half-marathon race at the end of the week. I PR'd that race by nearly 4 minutes (11th half). It proved to me that their system really works well. I then broke that half PR, as the 2nd half of my marathon a few weeks later.

Based on the Hansons training paces (https://runningcowgirl.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/photo-50.jpg) your paces would be,

WU/CD - 10:48
Easy A - 10:08
Easy B - 9:27
Long Run - 9:06
Half Tempo - 8:02
Strength - 7:52
Speed - 7:23

What I find interesting about your times, is they suggest you have a lot of speed. But that your 5K and 10K, don't match with your 15K and Half (granted not all out effort/hilly). This suggests that what is missing from your previous plans was maximizing your endurance training. You would be an ideal candidate for a 6-day plan, and you'll probably make about a 5-10% improvement on your time based on how you react to the plan. This would put your half around 1:40 best case scenario.

When developing your plan keep these things in mind:

1) Keep your hard running and easy running at a ratio of 20/80. The calculation of these should be done based on time not on mileage. Easy running is defined as Long Run and slower. This ratio can fluctuate from 20/80 and especially as you get closer to the race it probably will move closer to 30/70 (hard/easy).
2) Maintain your longest run of the week as no more than 25-33% of your weekly cumulative mileage.
3) Use the specialization technique developed by Arthur Lydiard. In the beginning of the plan, work Speed and slow. As the race gets closer and closer, do more work at half-marathon pace to internalize this pace (but don't violate rule 1).
4) The ideal range for half-marathon training is to continuously do workouts in the 60-90 minute range. All workouts in this range (less than 90 minutes) should be done without any supplementation other than water. The workouts that extend beyond 90 minutes should be done with whatever supplementation plan you plan on following for the half race.
5) All workouts should be finished with chocolate milk, or a commercial recovery endurance shake. This will help replenish your glycogen and accelerate recovery between workouts.
6) The paces described are hard and must not be deviated from (within 10 seconds +/-). This ensures you receive the correct benefits from the workouts. This is especially important for you as the endurance zone for you is 9:06-10:48 min/mile and where you need the most work to see great improvements. This may seem slow at first, but let it be, and slowly you'll come to appreciate them.

I'd be happy to offer advice on your plan after you finish it if you'd like. Let me know if this answers all of your questions.

And I thought my training spreadsheet was organized! I've been put to shame! Thank you so so so much for all this info @DopeyBadger I love learning about running. A lot of this is going to be good to look back on when I add speed work back in after the winter is over. My winter is going to be spent on strength and conditioning.

And I thought my training spreadsheet was organized! I've been put to shame! Thank you so so so much for all this info @DopeyBadger I love learning about running. A lot of this is going to be good to look back on when I add speed work back in after the winter is over. My winter is going to be spent on strength and conditioning.

Always happy to help. My philosophy is that to become a better runner you have to invest in your training plan. The best way to invest in anything in life is to understand the "why" to what we do. Why do we run speed intervals? Why do we do a warm-up for any run faster than the long run (moderate aerobic) pace? What's the benefit of doing a cool-down with mileage between 1-3 miles after a hard workout? Why does it matter if I keep my eyes up and shoulders back when running? Why should I relax my gut when I run? Why should I pay attention to the training load (a calculation of time and relative intensity) more than weekly/daily mileage accumulated? Learning the answer to these questions and many like them helps all of us become better runners.

The people in this thread are in a great situation because they are just starting to develop their plans for the races in April. Always ask yourself, "Why am I doing this workout?" and "What purpose does it serve?" Then, ask yourself, "How does this workout, combined with what else I'm doing during the week, make me a better runner?"

I'll also point out that a couple posts back I attached a custom plan that I made for another runner. I've noticed that quite a few people have taken a look at it. So, I just want to make others understand that if you want the full explanation of that plan and how it came about head over to here...

http://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2016.3266760/page-144

http://www.disboards.com/threads/marathon-weekend-2016.3266760/page-179

It's custom to that person's desires and current fitness level. So, while it may look like a good plan for you, the key is making sure it fits your needs.

If anyone else has any questions about running just tag me, and I'll be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter