Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Not to bring this up again, but yes. It should have been a night race!!! I am thinking I will do either the 10k or half at a leisurely pace and race the other. I just haven't decided which one yet. I have never run a disney 10k before so maybe you guys can help me here. I really want to take my time and take photos and have fun on one of them, which one will have the best entertainment do you think?
In past challenges, I've always taken the 5K and/or 10K easy, stopping for lots of pics. But this one I think will come down to weather: if it's looking to be a scorcher for the half, I may switch it up and race the 10K, make the half the fun race. The big unknown is how much (or little) on-course entertainment we'll get form non-Disney cosplayers - I know they added immensely to the fun in DLR, but with WDW being all on private roads/grounds, IDK how much we can expect.

Southwest dates are open. I was planning to fly down on Friday, but even though I was online as the dates opened Friday was mostly unavailable, or crazy expensive. So I moved the trip up by a day. Now I'm doing Thursday to Tuesday.

My flights are booked! Friday to Tuesday!

:jumping1:

Southwest dates are open. I was planning to fly down on Friday, but even though I was online as the dates opened Friday was mostly unavailable, or crazy expensive. So I moved the trip up by a day. Now I'm doing Thursday to Tuesday.

They are crazy for me too - in RI - school vacation week here! Thursday was high too, flying in later than planned Friday- since that one had wanna get away left. They are selling faster than our February vacation week does. Tuesday was better and I was able to book that one with points!

Oh, boy - well, now I see what everyone was saying about weird flights. Ours were definitely odder choices than usual. Flying in really freakin' early on Friday morning, and then leaving Tuesday night around 7:30 or so. Not bad for a nice extended weekend trip. :D

Good luck to everyone trying to get the flights they want!

I was originally planning to do a solo trip, just Friday to Sunday running the two races and no park time. We are doing a week for the Princess in Feb.

Now I am going Thursday to Tuesday and taking my DD16 with me.

Darn you runDisney!

I was originally planning to do a solo trip, just Friday to Sunday running the two races and no park time. We are doing a week for the Princess in Feb.

Now I am going Thursday to Tuesday and taking my DD16 with me.

Darn you runDisney!

More time = more fun! Will you still be joining us for early dinner on Saturday? If so, will your DD be joining us? No biggie either way, I am just trying to keep track. Thanks.

Just logged on to sign up for the Star Wars 5k, thought I got lucky it said 99% sold out, clicked register and its not an option. Apparently its sold out and I just missed it. So sad!

I'm so sad, just tried to register for the star wars 5k, thought I was safe at 99% sold out, but its not an option for registration anymore. Is there any way to register, do people cancel or get rid of their registrations? Any help would be great. Not sure if I should give up hope or not!

I'm so sad, just tried to register for the star wars 5k, thought I was safe at 99% sold out, but its not an option for registration anymore. Is there any way to register, do people cancel or get rid of their registrations? Any help would be great. Not sure if I should give up hope or not!
The next option would be to contact a travel agency to see if they have any 5k bibs left. Some require you to book a hotel through them. I would check with Acclaim. I got an email on 10/19 saying that they have bibs for all the races (5k, 10k, half, challenge). Of course things could have changed since them, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The next option would be to contact a travel agency to see if they have any 5k bibs left. Some require you to book a hotel through them. I would check with Acclaim. I got an email on 10/19 saying that they have bibs for all the races (5k, 10k, half, challenge). Of course things could have changed since them, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you so much! I'll try!!!!

The big unknown is how much (or little) on-course entertainment we'll get form non-Disney cosplayers - I know they added immensely to the fun in DLR, but with WDW being all on private roads/grounds, IDK how much we can expect.

The 501st Legion absolutely made the SW Half at DLR. They were phenomenal and gracious. I stopped for a biker scout and stormtrooper photo op, and when I thanked them for coming out on a warm day in costume, they were basically "aw, shucks, we aren't running 13 miles!" Very nice folks, I hope they're granted permission to be on course. They march in the motorcade during SW Weekends, so maybe?

More time = more fun! Will you still be joining us for early dinner on Saturday? If so, will your DD be joining us? No biggie either way, I am just trying to keep track. Thanks.

I was going to ask you if anyone minds if she joins us. I would still love to meet up with some fellow runners. She's pretty cool for a teenager, she is a Star Wars fan, and a rock star. :-)

Just logged on to sign up for the Star Wars 5k, thought I got lucky it said 99% sold out, clicked register and its not an option. Apparently its sold out and I just missed it. So sad!

I did the same thing this morning. I was going to sign my DD up for the 5k. It must have just sold out. :-(

I was going to ask you if anyone minds if she joins us. I would still love to meet up with some fellow runners. She's pretty cool for a teenager, she is a Star Wars fan, and a rock star. :-)

Definitely... of course she can join us! I will update the list with +1 by your name.

The 501st Legion absolutely made the SW Half at DLR. They were phenomenal and gracious. I stopped for a biker scout and stormtrooper photo op, and when I thanked them for coming out on a warm day in costume, they were basically "aw, shucks, we aren't running 13 miles!" Very nice folks, I hope they're granted permission to be on course. They march in the motorcade during SW Weekends, so maybe?
I totally agree! I was so excited to see the 501st Legion in January. Was definitely starting to feel fatigued and they gave me the energy I needed to finish. Hope they'll somehow be granted access to the course.

I did the same thing this morning. I was going to sign my DD up for the 5k. It must have just sold out. :-(

I guess some travel agents still have them...some make you book a package though and there are no deals for April yet, but there's still hope!

I guess some travel agents still have them...some make you book a package though and there are no deals for April yet, but there's still hope!
You could also run with a charity. Not sure if any charities have 5k spots but if you don't need a hotel room, that's the other option. You will have to raise money, but it's for a good cause. I would check out the runDisney website for a list of travel agencies and charities and contact them to find a 5k bib.

Oh, I didn't know that - that's encouraging!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter