OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

:wave2: Nancy
I'm saving Goofy for the 10th anniversary- But I will be there for 2014 thinking:scratchin of the 1/2 this time since DS will be old enough to run and he wants to train for a 1/2- DH may do the full.

great!! maybe this time we'll actually see each other!! :)

i'm talking very big and brave but maybe that's because it's a year away ;) we shall see....

A question to everyone, what training program are you planning on following when the time comes? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the galloway run / walk method. I guess I will decide that as my training goes along.

It is sooooo cool seeing all the Dis'ers who will be signing up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Getting excited about this race and its still a year away!
Quick question:
How often do they change the course of the races?

What is your speculation, will they keep the Marathon course going through the Wide World of Sports or go back to what is was the year before?

Would they ever change the 1/2 going from Epcot to Magic Kingdom and back?

Bryan

I would guess the marathon route will be the same as this years. It gives them more time to prepare for MK's park opening.

I'm hoping it will be the same so I can have another M&M McFlurry. :goodvibes

A question to everyone, what training program are you planning on following when the time comes? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the galloway run / walk method. I guess I will decide that as my training goes along.

Can't help you with this since I have done my own thing for my previous 3 Dopey's. My suggestion would be to first decide how you are going to approach the race(s) depending on your experience and your ability to devote the time required for the training program. Some bite off more than they can chew and wind up getting injured.

dburg30 said:

From the many comments I've read on these boards, training plans really are chosen based on the individual and his or her goals; whether they are just starting out or a veteran. Runners that are trying for a specific time goal might choose a higher mileage plan; runners that are injury prone or have time constraints might choose a lower mileage plan. And any and every combination in between, for all sorts of reasons. :-)

The Galloway run walk marathon plan got me through my first marathon just fine. My main goal was to finish in the allotted time injury free. Also, I modified his plan too. I did not go up to his suggested 26 miles. My longest runs were 17, 17, and 20. For me that was enough, but for someone else, they might follow the plan exactly.

The good thing is we have plenty of time to experiment with different plans as we work on a good base. I may try a different plan myself or stick with a modified Galloway plan, like maybe 18, 20, 20 for my longest runs plus more cross training this time around. You will get lots of good advice and suggestions on these boards.

The good thing is we have plenty of time to experiment with different plans as we work on a good base. I may try a different plan myself or stick with a modified Galloway plan, like maybe 18, 20, 20 for my longest runs plus more cross training this time around. You will get lots of good advice and suggestions on these boards.

Totally agree with this, And that is what I am doing this time. I am adding more cross training, to add to my overall strength. I personally believe that this was laking in my previous attempts.

As much as I want to do the Goofy...I have to remember all the pain and injuries I have/had during marathon training. If I can get back to a healthy self, maybe I'll entertain the idea. Luckily we have a few months to decide before registration opens!

Very true.. I am planning on also running the Columbus Marathon. Heck I saw the cap city half but just dont think that will be able to happen.. it's May 4th and with my current level of fitness it would be close to make that one happen.. so probably just some 5ks and 10ks along the way. But we will see.

Ok, I think I'm in for just the marathon in 2014. A friend really wants to do it so I said ok. I'll entertain Goofy again at the anniversary year if I think the medal is cute enough.

Ok, I think I'm in for just the marathon in 2014. A friend really wants to do it so I said ok. I'll entertain Goofy again at the anniversary year if I think the medal is cute enough.

Yup her friend is in! Can't wait :cool1:::yes::

cobbler said:

What year is the goofy anniversary year?

This years WDW Marathon Weekend I went Dopey. It was my first full! I did three back to backs during my training: 9m/18m, 10m/20m, 11m/22m. I took my time on the half and finished in a little over 3 hrs. I had a personal goal of completing the full in under 6 hrs, and I did that!

I'm thinking next year I may do just the full. It'll be interesting to do it with no other races before and hopefully cooler weather!

I'm also thinking about Goofy in 2015 since it's an anniversary. I already have Donald and Mickey anniversary medals.

liznboys said:
This years WDW Marathon Weekend I went Dopey. It was my first full! I did three back to backs during my training: 9m/18m, 10m/20m, 11m/22m. I took my time on the half and finished in a little over 3 hrs. I had a personal goal of completing the full in under 6 hrs, and I did that!

I'm thinking next year I may do just the full. It'll be interesting to do it with no other races before and hopefully cooler weather!

I'm also thinking about Goofy in 2015 since it's an anniversary. I already have Donald and Mickey anniversary medals.

You go, girl!

Hi! New to the party...

I have done Goofy for the last two years and am scaling back a bit to the marathon alone next year, saving energy for the tenth goofy on 2015. I love WDW marathon weekend although am hoping, maybe in vain, that they don't try to pack any more people onto the race course, especially for the half...which was insufferable in parts for me this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter