Official 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Thread

Also, :offtopic:, but WHY can't I stop thinking about doing the new Dumbo Double Dare that is about to open up for registration? I swore off doing DL again after 2011 due to how :furious:MISERABLE:furious: it is to train in Texas for a half on Labor Day weekend...how quickly we forget, right?

I can't stop thinking about DDD too! I think I've convinced myself to do it -- provided I have the $$$ when registration opens. The nice part for me is that I'd much rather train in heat than cold. I ran in 90-100+ temps this past summer and found it much more enjoyable than running in the cold. Yeah, I was sweaty, but at least my lungs didn't hurt!

Now, if I can just kick this sinus infection/chest cold... :sick:

kim3339 said:
Got the last email for Tink if anyone wants it, pm me your email address and I'll send it off to you. If you had me send you them before, I already forwarded it to you! :goodvibes

Got it! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Darn! :headache: I thought for sure this weekend would be my last long run, but it may not be! I should be tapering, but since I got behind, I'm supposed to run 9 this weekend according to my trainer. I thought that would probably be it, which didn't make me too worried since I would normally only go up to 10 anyway, but she said today if the 9 doesn't just kick my butt this weekend she would like to see me do 10 next weekend...so I guess I just won't have any taper at all. I was looking forward to reminding myself through 9 miles this weekend that I was finished with long runs for this race to pump me up, but alas...probably one more.

My tutu should be on the porch when I get home tonight...can't wait to try it on! Maybe I should run in it tomorrow morning! :lmao:

Also, :offtopic:, but WHY can't I stop thinking about doing the new Dumbo Double Dare that is about to open up for registration? I swore off doing DL again after 2011 due to how :furious:MISERABLE:furious: it is to train in Texas for a half on Labor Day weekend...how quickly we forget, right?

I am a head coach in a walking/running group and I have been coaching for 3 years. I don't have the credentials of a professional trainer, but I have coached hundreds of people to complete half marathons and marathons.

It's obvious you have experience with racing and considering your time at the first Tink I don't think you have to worry about doing two more long runs.

I would suggest doing 10 miles instead of the planned 9 and make it an easy long run. I don't know how you feel about walking, but don't feel bad if you have to do a little more walking than you normally do (if any). Also, plan for a slower time at the race so you are going into the race mentally prepared to go a slower pace.

I did a half marathon in March with the longest recent run being 6 miles and the training before that was sporadic. I did a slower pace and didn't have any real problems.

If your training has been off then I believe the worst thing you could do is back to back long runs with no taper. You need the taper and rest so you will be as fresh as you can be on race day.

Thanks guys! I'm going to go out there this weekend and see how everything goes and then how everything feels next weekend. I decided at the beginning of the week to just do the 1/2, but after talking to my dad yesterday, he pointed out that I had bibs and just see how it all works out. I don't know what happened w/ training this time. The regular runs were fine no problem, but the past month and 1/2 or so before the night before my long run... I just got in my head and psyched myself out. I would plan the route and lay out my fuel belt and everything and b/w the time I went to bed and woke up, I couldn't do it. I've done a marathon before so I know I can do the distance, it was just a mental thing. At the very least, I run the 1/2 and have a nice vacation in WDW before Tink (which is not bad at all) and at the best I finish Goofy and still have a good vacation in WDW.

On a random note, printed out my Tink waiver today and noticed that my waiver for the 1/2 had "no" listed as my shirt size. My 5k was fine, but I though the "no" was weird. Does anyone else have this on theirs?

Mine actually says Yes for the shirt size. No idea what that means.

Jeffreelancer said:
I am a head coach in a walking/running group and I have been coaching for 3 years. I don't have the credentials of a professional trainer, but I have coached hundreds of people to complete half marathons and marathons.

It's obvious you have experience with racing and considering your time at the first Tink I don't think you have to worry about doing two more long runs.

I would suggest doing 10 miles instead of the planned 9 and make it an easy long run. I don't know how you feel about walking, but don't feel bad if you have to do a little more walking than you normally do (if any). Also, plan for a slower time at the race so you are going into the race mentally prepared to go a slower pace.

I did a half marathon in March with the longest recent run being 6 miles and the training before that was sporadic. I did a slower pace and didn't have any real problems.

If your training has been off then I believe the worst thing you could do is back to back long runs with no taper. You need the taper and rest so you will be as fresh as you can be on race day.

Thanks for the advice :) I'm definitely doing more walking! I normally do one mile intervals, but since I've slowed down and missed a lot I've been taking it easy and doing half mile intervals...and it doesn't suck :) I'm just so slow lately...Maybe something to work on before summer rolls around. Oh well, I've definitely accepted that my goals are changed for this race.

I can't multi quote from the app on my phone, but I say to all that are contemplating the DDD, lets just do it! The more I think about it, the more I want to do it...and because of that I can almost guarantee 2013 will be the hottest summer on record here. Bets, anyone? :)

I can't multi quote from the app on my phone, but I say to all that are contemplating the DDD, lets just do it! The more I think about it, the more I want to do it...and because of that I can almost guarantee 2013 will be the hottest summer on record here. Bets, anyone? :)

I will be doing the DDD because I can't stay away.... everyone loves training in the summer, right? :confused3

No that was the summer of 2011!!! Hopefully we do NOT have a repeat of that. Yikes.

I have to get DH to commit to the $$ aspect of the race. In theory he's all "sure, lets DO IT!" but he never thinks about paying for it. LOL :rolleyes1

Cripey said:
Darn! :headache: I thought for sure this weekend would be my last long run, but it may not be! I should be tapering, but since I got behind, I'm supposed to run 9 this weekend according to my trainer. I thought that would probably be it, which didn't make me too worried since I would normally only go up to 10 anyway, but she said today if the 9 doesn't just kick my butt this weekend she would like to see me do 10 next weekend...so I guess I just won't have any taper at all. I was looking forward to reminding myself through 9 miles this weekend that I was finished with long runs for this race to pump me up, but alas...probably one more.

My tutu should be on the porch when I get home tonight...can't wait to try it on! Maybe I should run in it tomorrow morning! :lmao:

I thought the same thing about training for the DDD. I remember myself whining all summer about the heat and humidity here in Georgia. Guess I'm hooked too much on these races. Can't resist.

Bummer...I don't love the tutu skirt i got for the race :(. It's cute and all but is a little stiff and sticks out in a really strange/funny/very unattractive way in the back. I haven't tried it on with my fuel belt yet and that may actually help to hold it down, but I'm just not sure about it. I'm betting I'll end up with a new Team Sparkle skirt at the expo :)

long run rained out today :( it was more than a sprinkle! I wont lie, I'm not too disappointed...I was having a hard time waking up this morning and getting going anyway. Weather is clear and cold tomorrow, so I'll definitely be out there...just postponing one day. I'm trying my best to be productive and take advantage of the time. I mean, I was up anyway, so we took down all the Christmas decor and the tree already! Feeling so good about that, so I thought I'd get online for a bit :rolleyes1 Oh well, definitely more organizing and "spring" cleaning to come today...but I need breaks so I don't wear myself out for my run tomorrow, right? :thumbsup2

Oh yeah and we have another diner added to the list for dinner on Friday! Can't wait to see everyone!

Oh yeah and we have another diner added to the list for dinner on Friday! Can't wait to see everyone!

Great ! Are we meeting out in front or inside the restaurant ?

It's Friday so it will be very busy.

VickiHD said:
Great ! Are we meeting out in front or inside the restaurant ?

It's Friday so it will be very busy.

I guess out front would be ok? I've only been there once for dinner on my first trip to DL. I don't remember them having a very large waiting area inside, but I could be wrong...it's been a while! Anyone have any suggestions on a good meeting spot, or is out by the entrance good?

Finally got it done...here's my top for race day...all glitter iron ons!

IMG_1444_zpsd56810cf-1_zpse2bdaf2c.jpg
IMG_1443_zpsb82afc69-1_zps5cdcbde9.jpg

I guess out front would be ok? I've only been there once for dinner on my first trip to DL. I don't remember them having a very large waiting area inside, but I could be wrong...it's been a while! Anyone have any suggestions on a good meeting spot, or is out by the entrance good?

You're right there is not a large waiting area inside. And sometimes on busy days they have the check in podium moved outside. So maybe we should meet out front ? There is also cement seating that boarders the planters right out in front.

Your shirt looks great :thumbsup2

Are the iron ons easy to use ??

You're right there is not a large waiting area inside. And sometimes on busy days they have the check in podium moved outside. So maybe we should meet out front ? There is also cement seating that boarders the planters right out in front.

Your shirt looks great :thumbsup2

Are the iron ons easy to use ??

thanks :) They are super easy...the hardest part, if you can really call it hard, is that on these, each color is a separate layer...you have to iron each layer on separately...which isn't really hard, but you have to remember to do it from the bottom up. The lady I order from always includes an "assembly order" when she ships though so you can follow that...and she emails a link to a video that she has posted online showing exactly how to do everything. I didn't get too complicated this time, but she can custom design just about anything you can come up with...even wording if you wanted your shirt to say something instead of a graphic design. I did my Princess one today too...didn't come up with anything for the back of that one though, so it's pretty plain.

I think just right out in front of Naples is probably the best place for us all to meet before dinner.

I've been lurking for weeks, hoping to have GREAT news to post by today. But alas, I think the wheels fell off yesterday.

I ran 10 miles on December 15 and December 21. I bonked a bit on the 15th, but finished strong on the 21st, so I was doing good. Then I got a head cold with some body aches on the day after Christmas. Wiped me out from December 27 until this Friday, January 4, so I missed my 8 miler last weekend. I finally got out and ran 4 on Friday and felt okay, but sluggish.

The odd thing is that my sister, who is running the Tink with me, plans to run/walk it. I've never run/walked before, but after feeling so sluggish on Friday, I thought it was high time to start my run/walk training! :thumbsup2 I set out yesterday (after religiously checking the weather radar :umbrella: ). Cripey - I live in the Houson Heights, so I bagged my plan of running long at Memorial Park, which would have been a mud hole after the rains on Friday night and all day Saturday. But there were a few hours break yesterday afternoon, so I decided to run/walk in the Heights. I ran 5 minutes/walked 2 minutes, and it went great! I was five miles in and was feeling super. I planned to do 10 miles, but hoped for 12 miles. Relatively speaking, this run/walk stuff was easy. Then right before mile 6, my left calf seized up. Yep. Calf strain. The last time this hit was at mile 6 at the 2011 Wine & Dine Marathon. Sigh. Serious cramping and pain. Sigh. I walked a mile home, took a shower, and pouted all evening.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I totally rest it for two weeks, then how will I do on race day?!? I'm gonna ice and stretch this week (but cause no pain) and see what happens, but frankly, I'm not sure if I can even walk the half now. Sigh. :sad:

Hope everyone is keeping it together here at the end!

Well, I did it...i went for 10 today in hopes that gets me a pass to a short-ish run next weekend. It was rough...but i did it and I'm glad it's done. I did it in just a couple minutes under what I did the HALF in last year...that's a little disappointing. I'm looking at probably a 3:15 half now I think. Which, hey, is fine....getting across the finish line is the accomplishment we're after, but I just wish I was where I was last year. Sigh. Something to work on this year, I guess.

I've been lurking for weeks, hoping to have GREAT news to post by today. But alas, I think the wheels fell off yesterday.

I ran 10 miles on December 15 and December 21. I bonked a bit on the 15th, but finished strong on the 21st, so I was doing good. Then I got a head cold with some body aches on the day after Christmas. Wiped me out from December 27 until this Friday, January 4, so I missed my 8 miler last weekend. I finally got out and ran 4 on Friday and felt okay, but sluggish.

The odd thing is that my sister, who is running the Tink with me, plans to run/walk it. I've never run/walked before, but after feeling so sluggish on Friday, I thought it was high time to start my run/walk training! :thumbsup2 I set out yesterday (after religiously checking the weather radar :umbrella: ). Cripey - I live in the Houson Heights, so I bagged my plan of running long at Memorial Park, which would have been a mud hole after the rains on Friday night and all day Saturday. But there were a few hours break yesterday afternoon, so I decided to run/walk in the Heights. I ran 5 minutes/walked 2 minutes, and it went great! I was five miles in and was feeling super. I planned to do 10 miles, but hoped for 12 miles. Relatively speaking, this run/walk stuff was easy. Then right before mile 6, my left calf seized up. Yep. Calf strain. The last time this hit was at mile 6 at the 2011 Wine & Dine Marathon. Sigh. Serious cramping and pain. Sigh. I walked a mile home, took a shower, and pouted all evening.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I totally rest it for two weeks, then how will I do on race day?!? I'm gonna ice and stretch this week (but cause no pain) and see what happens, but frankly, I'm not sure if I can even walk the half now. Sigh. :sad:

Hope everyone is keeping it together here at the end!

Have you tried using compression socks or sleeves? My wife had problems with calf cramps and the compression sleeves helped. Also, are you using any type of electrolytes during your run? An electrolyte imbalance can also cause calf problems.

Also, are you using any type of electrolytes during your run? An electrolyte imbalance can also cause calf problems.

A good chance this is the case- we like these and have great success with them- one or two pre-race then one or two every 45ish minutes and you should be able to keep the cramps away - Endurolytes Good luck and we'll see you at Tink!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter