Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by MoonFaerie, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacksMama

JacksMama Mouseketeer

Thanks for the welcome, happy to be here! :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JacksMama

JacksMama Mouseketeer

Sweet! Is there a bus picking up at BC? We should ride over together! What's your pace? I'm at 13 mm run/walk :)

4. JacksMama

JacksMama Mouseketeer

Hi from Austin! Sorry to hear you're under the weather. I got something over the weekend, lost my voice and missed my run today. Boo. :( Hope you feel better soon!

5. semejorado

semejorado Earning My Ears

Any information on when the sweepers sweep (which miles?) or are they always on the prowl?:moped:

6. LEXAVE

LEXAVE Earning My Ears

We are running the half on Sunday and have decided to do the 5K for fun. We are just walking it and taking in the views.

I know the race starts at 6:30, and this is a much smaller race than the half, so are there corals? Also, what time should we get on the bus? (We are at the WL.)

Thanks for your help. Hope everyone is staying warm (or cool) and healthy.

7. Jeannekay

Jeannekay Mouseketeer

I am! I had -2.7 this morning. I can't believe they still had school. I like reading everyone's posts about buying shoes. It is a difficult thing for me too. I like the Asics Gel kayano17. My foot doctor gave me a white arch support that also goes under my heel.

I ran in them for a year and had less foot pain, but... developed a suspicious bone spur? under my third toe, in the pad, on one foot. No injuries but noticed after the half marathon I had pain in my hips.

I wish there was better technology out there. I am going to try Hanson's running store in Lake Orion, MI. They help train Desiree Davilla so maybe I'll have better luck with them.

8. JenNel85

JenNel85 Mouseketeer

UGH, I'm in Jersey. I managed to get 3 miles in today...it was AWFUL. So freakin' cold!

Although, I will say that my pace was a bit faster that usual -- I thought maybe if I ran as fan as I could, my body would stay warmer...plus I wanted to get back inside ASAP! ;)

9. Jeannekay

Jeannekay Mouseketeer

I'm not sure, but read about someone getting picked up because she was too slow and hung out at the bathroom too much.

I was scared too and made sure I ran 10, 11, 12 and 13 miles at home. I was sure I could make it then.

Just make sure you go 13.2 miles in at least 3 1/2 hours. I did mine in 2:40 and there were tons of people behind me. Take some Tylenol or something with you to help keep you going. :)

10. TXAng

TXAng Mouseketeer

Hello all! Add me to the list. I'll be running the Princess solo, though DH is going to do the 5K and the kids are doing the kids races, too. This will be our first Disney race, so we're very excited. :)

11. valeriejp

valeriejp Earning My Ears

Not sure of all the sweep points for the half, but I walked with the balloon ladies from mile 16 on at the full. They would announce where the next sweep point was, and as we got closer, how long we had to get there. They sweep by pulling a bus across the road, so they can't sweep in the parks. For the full, the last three points were at around 16, 21, and 23.5. Once we passed the last point, they said we could take as long as we wanted, as long as we kept moving. I think I took over 45 minutes for the last 2 miles! They definitely give you plenty of warning, they don't just show up and say " you're done".

12. TiggerAllie

TiggerAllie DIS Veteran

I just got new shoes yesterday! I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline 12's, and they just came out with the 13's, so I thought I would go back into my local running store (Marathon Sports) to try a few options. I tried some kind of Muzinos that were huge and a pair of Asics (whatever their stability shoe is) that were terrible--- as soon as I ran down the sidewalk my shins hurt. So, I'm back in the Brooks. I couldn't tell much difference between the 12s and the 13s, and hopefully that will also be true once I am able to try a run in them (hopefully it will be slightly warmer on Thurs to give me a chance-- no indoor track or treadmill available for me).

Oh, and on the waiver thing, I don't expect to see anything until they get through the post-Tink and DL 1/2 wknd registration craziness.

13. princessmeghan

princessmeghan Earning My Ears

We are close! Wasn't today 1 month 2 days?

If it helps you feel warm, it was -6 today but -19 with wind chill. So pretty much +18 is 35-40 degrees warmer.m:thumbsup2

14. VickiHD

VickiHD DIS Veteran

Hi Princesses
    I just wanted to share......we just got back home from DL and running Tink. Had a great time and loved the warm weather.
    This race was actually my best yet !!!!!
    Really for the first time I was really "in the zone" and just kept pushing myself, kept running and had a strong finish. I'm usually very cautious (probably too cautious) especially when running by myself, but something just really clicked and I just went for it !!!! Maybe it was my wings.;) But I am even more excited for Princess and to really push and challenge myself even more.

I'm so excited and I knew you Princesses would "get it". Now I am half way there to finally getting my C2C. Until next years Tink, it's time to put my wings away and start polishing up my tiara. princess:

Can't wait to run with all of you !!!!!!

15. bellanotte10

bellanotte10 Now bring me that horizon

I love marathon sports! It's where I got my shoes! Mizuno wave inspire 9s... Before I had brooks defyance 5s. Although recently I cheated on them with the greater boston running co. As I had a groupon and they're right down the street from where I work.

16. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

:hug: Thank you so much! It's been quite the journey, that's for sure. Just gotta keep swimming, though, right?! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry that you're not feeling well, but glad you're taking time to rest and recover! I know how hard that is, mentally. I'm absolutely terrified of germs at this point. And I live in Tourist Central... very tempted to get a mask for running errands, lol!

:thumbsup2

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

There was only one giant corral last year, with pace times marked to guide us to the right area, but it didn't work: it was a giant free-for-all. They made actual, lettered corrals for the W&D 5K and I'm pretty sure I read that they did the same for the 5K over Marathon weekend, so that may be the new method.

17. Cripey

Cripey DIS Veteran

I got my Magical Express envelope!!! That means the countdown is ON!! :cool1:

18. princessallegra

princessallegra They call me Mrs. Disney

Hey Princesses! I have decided to defer the race. I know! But it really is the right choice for me at this time. I am 8 weeks preg and haven't run in a month because I have been literally sick 24 hrs a day with morning sickness. At this point just getting down to WDW will be an accomplishment for me! I spoke with Run Disney and I will be deferring to next year's Princess, and then they made a special exception/note on my file that I can defer again to the 2014 Wine and Dine which will give me plenty of time to train and prep (2014 Princess will be 15 weeks or so after I give birth to our first so cutting it a wee bit close imho). DH will be running this Princess of course, his first ever Half Marathon. I really know this is what's best for me. Sure I could try and drag my butt down there and try and walk most of it but i want to participate to my full extent. Especially because I feel like crap! It is bittersweet :-(

19. MRS AR

MRS AR DIS Veteran

I do sympathize with you but understand your decision. My DD had sickness with both pregnancies and the most important thing is to take care of yourself and your little bundle of joy.

Another question. Did anyone else make reservations with run Disney and not get luggage tags? I have the package with dining. Trying to decide if I want to call run Disney.

20. haleofafamily

haleofafamily DIS Veteran

Such a difficult decision, but I think you made a wise choice!

21. thedonduck

thedonduck DIS Veteran

Hope everyone is warming up! We went out running yesterday and made it 5 miles in the wind pushing two kids in the stroller before we called it quits. It was just too hard to push my kiddos in a sail! We were still averaging about 13 mins despite feeling like we were being pushed backwards by a kite!

We also bit the bullet and booked a room at the Gaylord Palms for the night before the race! We live about 45 mins away from Mickeys home and decided it would be nice to "sleep in" (haha if you call 3am sleeping in) and having a place to shows afterwards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.