Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripey said:
Well I finished :) I knew it was going to be a tough one and I was right. Ouch...hurting today for sure! I really love his race though...lots of time in the parks and I really enjoyed the part of the course that runs through the city. PF is flared up big time and I'm super worried about Princess next month...I'm sure ill finish, but probably feelin like this again. It's a lot of my own fault though! I'd love to keep my legacy status and do it again next year...I really like this race! We had a few muscle numbing drinks over at Trader Sam's :) and now we're strolling California Adventure with our medals until its dinner time...ADR at the new Carthay Circle that I'm really excited about! Keep it goin' Princesses, we're so close!!!

Congrats on the finish! Sorry you aren't feeling 100%, but you pushed through and did it. 5 weeks seems plenty of time to rest and work back up for the princess. Enjoy the rest of the night/trip!

Hi all! Today I did 6.5 miles combined jogging and walking and I feel pooped. This is the farthest I have ever gone. Thing is, I am so disappointed when it comes to my friends. The don't share my love of Disney and they could care less. I guess they just don't understand. Most folks are off tomorrow due to MLK day, myself included. I asked them if they want to hang out, and they all had excuses. Seems that we all have gone our separate ways when it comes to getting healthy and running. I don't have kids, most of them do, and they look at time like I have 3 heads. I feel I get more support from the kind folks on the DIS. Sorry for the rant, but it really got me depressed.

Cindy

Cindy,
I totally understand. My kids are grown and out of the house. I love Disney and am so excited about this race...I am walking it. I understand going it alone. The message board and the FB page are my motivation and I love reading them. Keeps me going...

I walked 7.27 miles yesterday in 1:46:31, average 14:40. Felt good. I was so excited. I had some pretty fast miles in there so I think I might get to get a picture and go to the bathroom. :) I even feel good today. Cannot wait.

Well I finished :) I knew it was going to be a tough one and I was right. Ouch...hurting today for sure! I really love his race though...lots of time in the parks and I really enjoyed the part of the course that runs through the city. PF is flared up big time and I'm super worried about Princess next month...I'm sure ill finish, but probably feelin like this again. It's a lot of my own fault though! I'd love to keep my legacy status and do it again next year...I really like this race! We had a few muscle numbing drinks over at Trader Sam's :) and now we're strolling California Adventure with our medals until its dinner time...ADR at the new Carthay Circle that I'm really excited about! Keep it goin' Princesses, we're so close!!!

I was looking forward to your post today. Congrats on the finish. You will be great at the Princess. Enjoy your night! You earned it. :)

jlm314 said:
Cindy,
I totally understand. My kids are grown and out of the house. I love Disney and am so excited about this race...I am walking it. I understand going it alone. The message board and the FB page are my motivation and I love reading them. Keeps me going...

Thank you for your support! Not on FB but this board motivates me, as well.

Cindy

Just did Tink today. Next stop is Princess for Coast to Coast. Curious question for someone who may know how long does it take to get a custom orthopedic insert for your shoes (if you are getting a mold)?
Awesome Job!!! Congrats!

Hi all! Today I did 6.5 miles combined jogging and walking and I feel pooped. This is the farthest I have ever gone. Thing is, I am so disappointed when it comes to my friends. The don't share my love of Disney and they could care less. I guess they just don't understand. Most folks are off tomorrow due to MLK day, myself included. I asked them if they want to hang out, and they all had excuses. Seems that we all have gone our separate ways when it comes to getting healthy and running. I don't have kids, most of them do, and they look at time like I have 3 heads. I feel I get more support from the kind folks on the DIS. Sorry for the rant, but it really got me depressed.

Cindy

Way to go! Don't worry about your friends, you have the people on DIS.....just keep doing your best and follow your plan. I got married later in life and sadly things do change when you are single with no kids and your friends are married...... hang in there!

saysay said:
Way to go! Don't worry about your friends, you have the people on DIS.....just keep doing your best and follow your plan. I got married later in life and sadly things do change when you are single with no kids and your friends are married...... hang in there!

Thank you sooo much. It has been vet difficult for me these past weeks. I got dumped by my SO, but I just keep plodding along. I will not give up with the help of my fellow Dissers.

Freaking out a little bit, you guys...

I was on an awesome track -- had been getting in some seriously long runs for the first time ever (I ran 10 miles! And then 10.5 miles! Crazy!) But then these past two weeks have been blah in terms of training.

First, it was the first week back to school (I'm a teacher) and I was drained and exhausted and only got in one tiny run and then a pretty nice 5 miler (ran at my goal pace of 12.5 min/mile, so I felt good about that -- even though I know I can't keep up that pace for much more than 5 miles). But then this week I got a terrible cold with a chest cough and so didn't run at all -- I was on track to run 12.5 this weekend, but obviously that didn't happen. I'm going to get out there today and do something easy.

I'm supposed to run a 10K next Saturday, hoping to get a time I can submit at the Expo, but that means I'll only really be able to get 2 more long runs in before the big day!

I'm scared! :crazy2:

I keep worrying I won't have trained enough or that I'll injure myself. Looking at it all typed out seems kind of crazy -- I know *logically* that I haven't wasted all my training just by having a couple of bad weeks, but it's so hard to *feel* that, you know what I mean?

And should I try to do a long run this week? Even though I have to race on Saturday?

I am trying to think of the castle and to trust my training, but I'm feeling really nervous...

BREATHE.....you are good....may programs only have you going up to 10 miles. Do your 10k , you will be fine!

I haven't been aroundin a while ...so sorry...

CONGRATS! REST UP. You got the princess.

Hey All-- I just noticed that they pushed back the TOT for next year one week, until Oct 5. It's no longer the first weekend of F&W.

Congrats to all the Tink finishers! It looks like the weather was perfect for the race. :)

For those of you worried about the weather at DL vs WDW in the fall-- DL is in the desert, so it gets very cool overnight, even in Aug/Sept. For last year's DL 1/2, even though it was warm during the day (80/90), the race was 60/70 and very dry-- nothing like the TOT! Of course, the longer you are out on the course, the hotter it gets, but the race starts before 6AM, so even by 9AM it's not so bad.

I think I need to go get new shoes (sigh). I've been running in Brooks Adrenalines (12). I see they've come out with a new model (but 12s are still for sale), so I'm going to go to the running store and try a few on. I may end up back in the Brooks, as they have served me well. However, I can tell as soon as they are too old, because my hip starts to hurt when I run longer distances. (I accidentally ran the DL 1/2 in my old pair, which was a disaster!)

[How was your 7 miler? My first goal is finish and not get swept too!

My 7 miler was great! I ran almost the entire 7 miles too! I ran straight to mile 6, then walked for 1 min, ran to 6.6, walked for 30 seconds. Walking was obviously mental and not really needed. I ran it with a pace of 12:16!/QUOTE]

That is awesome! Good for you!

I did my 7 miles yesterday morning. I wish I could say I ran for 6 straight miles, but I didn't. I take frequent walk breaks -- particularly up hills as I live in a hilly area. My pace was 13:10 -- almost a minute slower than you. But still fast enough to meet my goal of not getting swept.

For those having shin splints, I've had them before. They are super painful, so I sympathize. For me, the inserts in the shoes did not work. I ended up getting a really spongy shoe. But what I think helped the most was learning to take smaller steps and not stride so big. You might want to try that. Good luck.

And Cripey, it is 7:00 a.m. California time right now, thinking of you! I'm sure you're rocking it.

Great job on your run! I actually drove to a super flat area to run. Like flatter than FL hills. It was great. I'm struggling with shin splints so I didn't want to deal with hills when I had barely run at all in 2 weeks.

OK Ladies, 5 weeks!

I haven't posted much, but with the WDW full behind me, I'm ready to get ready for Princess #5.

Newbie, it will be a blast. The final weeks of training can be tough as the body gets a bit worn and the weather a bit cold. Keep with and the payoff is well worth it.

Omg. 5 weeks is crazy!!

Congrats on finishing. Hopefully you can rest up and recover and get a long run or two in before the PHM!

It was a whopping 0 degrees when I went out to run. I only did a mile. Mostly, I just wanted to test out my new toy: Garmin Forerunner 110 with heart rate monitor. Early birthday present. Thanks DH!

StarGirl11 said:
Just did Tink today. Next stop is Princess for Coast to Coast. Curious question for someone who may know how long does it take to get a custom orthopedic insert for your shoes (if you are getting a mold)?

Congrats on the Tink!

It always takes my Podiatrist a few weeks. Plus you'll want some time to train in them if you're planning on using them so running. I'd day not to count on them for the Princess. You can however get non-custom insoles. Super feet is a good brand, a brooks makes some too. You can get them at your local running store or online.

The excitement of the race will carry you through! I ran today - 8 miles - thought I was running in thigh high mud. It's a week since the WDW half and I guess I'm still recovering. I'm in the 50+ group - I worry about that stuff too. You're doing what I need to do...more core training. My resolution this year was to do more pilates and yoga. Cincinnati? Have you done the Flying Pig?

Congrats on becoming a Grandma!!! :cool1:

I'm thinking about the pig. A lot depends on the new grand baby. When my daughter was pregnant before she delivered three months early. If this one comes on time and has no problems, I will probably do the Flying Pig.

hello all!

looking forward to PHM! did anyone do the marathon last weekend? how are you training for PHM? i've only run once since the marathon :sick: what are your long runs looking like from now until the race?

I ran a couple of miles last Tuesday and had a 6 mile run on Friday and 7 miles of speed drills today. LR will be 8 miles later this week and then 10, 12, 8.
I took it easy for the full so I could gear up for the half. Had a great time too!

***Sorry, I meant to quote Nancy aka dumbo--buddy

I'm thinking about the pig. A lot depends on the new grand baby. When my daughter was pregnant before she delivered three months early. If this one comes on time and has no problems, I will probably do the Flying Pig.

Considering the Flying Pig too :)

jpaxton1118 said:
I can't remember what I put down as my time when I registered. Is there a way to see? All I can find is my receipt and it does not say anything about it.

I couldn't remember either so I just called them a few weeks ago and they looked me up.

Great places for victory drinks and dinner! Please post back about the Carthay Circle dinner...it's on my list for the DDD. Hope your PF gets better - no fun running in pain. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter