• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New York tips and discussion

nowhere posh i'm afraid.we are staying at the holiday inn midtown.this is our 4th holiday this year,including china & malaysia,so unfortunately,funds wouldn't stretch,to somewhere more upmarket.it gets very mixed reviews,but i figured,we would only be sleeping there,so hopefully,as long as the room is clean,it will be ok.just excited,as we have never been to new york before & our grandaughter,is coming with us.it is her 10th birthday,4 days before we go & i have promised her,a massive spending spree,she is so excited:thumbsup2
tracy

Resurrecting this thread.....:goodvibes

Can anyone tell me how long they spent on the Statue of Liberty and going up to the crown? I understand it's about 350 stairs and has airport style security beforehand so can take a while.

We're still undecided whether to do it or not but the SOL was closed when I last visited NY. I think if we do do it we'll go the first morning as hopefully we'll all be up early due to the time difference, but at the same time I don't know if the 9am slot is just too early :confused3 I know dates fill up quickly so we do plan to buy tickets in advance :)

We were there for a couple of hours, we didn't go up in the crown but climbed a long way up. The steps are tiring! we then went over to Ellis Island. The security is steady moving be prepared to taking shoes off etc more then once

Bumping up as taking my daughter in Easter holidays who will be 9. 4 nights at the same hotel I stayed at with my sister as location was excellent.

I was wondering if anyone had used public transport to get to Manhattan from Newark. I got the airtrain and subway from JFK and wondering if it as simple coming from Newark. I don't really want to get a taxi as so expensive.

Bumping up as taking my daughter in Easter holidays who will be 9. 4 nights at the same hotel I stayed at with my sister as location was excellent.

I was wondering if anyone had used public transport to get to Manhattan from Newark. I got the airtrain and subway from JFK and wondering if it as simple coming from Newark. I don't really want to get a taxi as so expensive.

Have you tried contacting the hotel to see if they can arrange a private transfer. We did this to Newark & it was cheaper then a taxi

Have you tried contacting the hotel to see if they can arrange a private transfer. We did this to Newark & it was cheaper then a taxi

I added transfers as I don't know how my daughter will be after the flight so seems the easiest thing. Need to decide which broadway show to take her to now.

Ooh, really? How exciting! One is due to open in Birmingham too.

Which shows have you narrowed it down to? We're still deciding!

My daughter has asked to see American Idiot however I am unsure as I think the content is a bit grown up, I don't think she will be phased by it but it will certainly raise lots of questions. The Lion King will probably be more suitable.

My daughter has asked to see American Idiot however I am unsure as I think the content is a bit grown up, I don't think she will be phased by it but it will certainly raise lots of questions. The Lion King will probably be more suitable.

I'm leaning towards The Lion King at the moment but it's so expensive! :scared1: I don't know much about American Idiot, to be honest. I think it's supposed to be good though.

Yep, Lion King is expensive, I also looked at the cost of Wicked!:scared1:. It will be an amazing experience though.

American Idiot does look good but the reviews I have read say it has a lot of drug use and stuff in it and it has an age 12+ guidance. The reviews I have read have all been written by Americans though so I am also wondering if it won't be as shocking to us as they are so much more strict about what is shown on TV in the evening than us.

Yep, Lion King is expensive, I also looked at the cost of Wicked!:scared1:. It will be an amazing experience though.

American Idiot does look good but the reviews I have read say it has a lot of drug use and stuff in it and it has an age 12+ guidance. The reviews I have read have all been written by Americans though so I am also wondering if it won't be as shocking to us as they are so much more strict about what is shown on TV in the evening than us.

As a BIG Green Day fan I really want to see American Idiot but unfortunately boyfriend and parents have no interest whatsoever :( Think at the moment we're leaning towards the Lion King! Saw the Blue Man Group last time I was in NYC :love:

Yeah, it would be worth it I'm sure!

The reviews I have read have all been written by Americans though so I am also wondering if it won't be as shocking to us as they are so much more strict about what is shown on TV in the evening than us.

Good point.

Think at the moment we're leaning towards the Lion King! Saw the Blue Man Group last time I was in NYC :love:

I wouldn't mind watching BMG in New York. We saw them in Orlando in September and it was amazing (plus I got to go on stage!). :goodvibes

As a BIG Green Day fan I really want to see American Idiot but unfortunately boyfriend and parents have no interest whatsoever :( Think at the moment we're leaning towards the Lion King! Saw the Blue Man Group last time I was in NYC :love:

Same here, I am a big fan too. I wanted to see it in September but my sister wasn't interested. I wasn't really that bothered about seeing a musical though. However if it was a couble of week after I would have felt sick about missing it as Billie Joe played the role of St Jimmy!

My daughter is begging to see it though but she will be 9 so wasn't sure but I think we will give it a go. The advisory is age 12+ and she can see a 12a film in this country.

I'm sure all three were fantastic but which one was your favourite, just out of interest?

I have to say probably New York, Vegas as a very close second! NY probably because when I saw them the 1st time (in 2006) no one over here had heard of them, I hadn't even heard of them! They're a bit more well known now here but even now you say to people and they have NO idea what you're talking about! Plus the NY one is in a bit of an artsy theatre and this was before they did the show anywhere else. Vegas as a very very close second seeing as my boyfriend got chosen to go up on the stage for the male part and he'd never seen BMG before so he had no idea what to expect but it was great :thumbsup2

Each and every show is very very slightly different! I think it was Orlando, for example, didn't have the jet plane sketch which is in the Vegas show, it's quite amazing to see a plane on the stage!

I'm actually gonna be seeing them for a 4th time now but not in NY! We've just booked an NCL cruise for next October and they're the entertainment! Can't wait!

I booked premium seats for American Idiot. I asked my DD if she wanted to see Lion King as well but she said no, she wants a non Disney holiday because we are going to DLP & DLCa next year.:confused3

Can anyone recommend anywhere nice and casual for dinner near Broadway, preferably not a chain restaurant?

I have to say probably New York, Vegas as a very close second! NY probably because when I saw them the 1st time (in 2006) no one over here had heard of them, I hadn't even heard of them! They're a bit more well known now here but even now you say to people and they have NO idea what you're talking about! Plus the NY one is in a bit of an artsy theatre and this was before they did the show anywhere else. Vegas as a very very close second seeing as my boyfriend got chosen to go up on the stage for the male part and he'd never seen BMG before so he had no idea what to expect but it was great :thumbsup2

I know what you mean, people over here don't seem to know about BMG. They're missing out! We plan to go to Vegas in 2012 so hopefully we'll be able to catch a show.

Each and every show is very very slightly different! I think it was Orlando, for example, didn't have the jet plane sketch which is in the Vegas show, it's quite amazing to see a plane on the stage!

Sounds awesome!

I'm actually gonna be seeing them for a 4th time now but not in NY! We've just booked an NCL cruise for next October and they're the entertainment! Can't wait!

Wow, that will be fantastic! :thumbsup2

I booked premium seats for American Idiot. I asked my DD if she wanted to see Lion King as well but she said no, she wants a non Disney holiday because we are going to DLP & DLCa next year.:confused3

Congrats on booking!

Can anyone recommend anywhere nice and casual for dinner near Broadway, preferably not a chain restaurant?

:thumbsup2 You'll have to let us know all about it!! I would so go if I could but boyfriend is not a Green Day fan in the slightest and my parents sure as hell aren't, lol.

We saw Wicked on Broadway three weeks ago, and had dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner first, right in the middle of times square. Its great!! All the staff are unemployed Broadway singers and all take turns getting up and singing, even when they're serving you. It was such fun! Not a posh place, more burgers, chilli, so depends on what you are after. Get there early though, the line was massive (though as there were only 2 of us we only waited 10 mins) and tehy don't take reservations.
http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

I've been looking online at New York hotels and flights for a couple of days now and come out with so many different prices and I don't really know what kind of price I should be looking at as good value and something to use as a budget!

I want to go with my boyfriend in September 2011 for 5 nights. Provisionally I've been using the dates Mon12-Sat17 Sept as my dates for searching but can be flexible if it's cheaper to go more at the end of September or in October? Does 5 nights sound about the right length of time?

You all sound like seasoned NYC travellers and I'd like your advice! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter