New York tips and discussion

disney_princess_85

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, I could do with some advice please!

DBF and I are going to NY in April and we're hoping to book soon. It looks like a direct flight from Manchester will be too expensive, so we'll probably go indirect. The three airlines offering indirect flights are Air France, United and American Airlines. We've flown with Air France before but only short-haul (to Paris), so I don't know what they're like on a long-haul flight. Does anyone have any opinions to share, about any of the airlines I've listed?

Thanks! :)

P.S. price isn't really an issue, it's pretty much the same for each option

We went to New York in July (part of the deal with DW to get to go back to orlando this year) and fly direct MAN-JFK with Delta (well Air France but it was a codeshare so was a Delta plane) which was great but was £500 each, tho bare in mind we booked only a month before.
How much are the savings to fly indirect? Only thing I wouldn't like about indirect to NYC would be that I assume it's changing in a European airport?

As for New York, even tho I wasn't keen, I loved it. We walked absolutely everywhere and was so worth it despite the blisters!!
Where have you looked at staying? We stayed at The New York Palace (got a good deal) and it was the best hotel I've ever stayed in (apparently it features in the program Gossip Girl)!

Get yourself the 'Brits Guide' too, similar to the Orlando version of the book.

Happy planning :)

:goodvibes

Thanks for the reply Luke! :)

We're looking to book a package with Expedia (DIY isn't any cheaper). Obviously going direct would be ideal, but it takes the package to £1000+ (each), whereas indirect is around £800. You're right, two of the changes are in Europe: Air France is Paris and United is Frankfurt. American Airlines is Chicago. It would make more sense for us to go with Air France because we're really familiar with CDG. Also, the flight from Paris-New York departs from the same terminal we'd land in from Manchester. The difference between the two flights is an hour and a half- would you say this is long enough?

I'm so jealous that you stayed at the Palace, I love Gossip Girl! We're planning on staying at a hotel called Morgan's, it's a 4* and looks really nice (plus it has great reviews).

Thanks for the tip about the book, I'll definitely buy it! I'm not nearly as clued up about New York as I am about Orlando!! :rotfl:

We went indirect when flying to NYC, we went with KLM via Schiphol to JKF, I have to say that it was the worst airline we've ever flown with, they were rude, and really horrible to us, my granny was with us and needed disabled assistance, but the airport took her on a seperate vehicle and she ended up getting lost for more than an hour. :(

Though that aside, we had about two hours between flights and if we'd not had that incident it would have been plenty of time. :)

We flew AA to Chicago a few years ago, and then onto Orlando with them, and they were fantastic, the best airline we have ever used, and they can't do enough for you, plus the added advantage of everything already being in dollars for you, though I'm guessing Air France will be accomodating on that count. :) If price is relatively similar you should consider AA as they are an excellent airline, especially on split flights. :)

Do they all fly into JFK? that could be something else to consider, as I think it's the most easilly accessible airport, I've flown via Newark on another occassion and it was too big and badly laid out to get about as easilly.

Hope you have a great time, it's certainly a great city. Though you will need a comfortable pair of shoes. ;)

probably wont be much help here but aerlingus have great flight deals to nyc at the moment I got my flights for €350 each for February and I know the price ran well into april I know it will be a different price from the uk just thought Id mention it

I'm so jealous that you stayed at the Palace, I love Gossip Girl! We're planning on staying at a hotel called Morgan's, it's a 4* and looks really nice (plus it has great reviews).

Thanks for the tip about the book, I'll definitely buy it! I'm not nearly as clued up about New York as I am about Orlando!! :rotfl:

Just to rub it in (not that I've even seen Gossip Girl), here's a photo of DW in the courtyard of our hotel :)

cimg4933.jpg

Whereabouts is the hotel you're looking at? Different people prefer different locations. Lots of people love being near Times Sq but we enjoyed the slightly more peacefulness of being a bit further away, we were right opposite St Patrick's cathedral and a block up from the Rockerfellar Center.

I'm actually getting jealous now thinking back to how much fun we had in New York - especially as I'd never really had an interest in going before but just fell in love with the place!!

My one recommendation (if I only had to recommend one) is to go up to the Top of the Rock (at Rockerfellar Center) - the view is amazing, much better than from the Empire State building - the main reason being that you get the Empire State Building in your view!! But you also get Central Park too which you don't really see from the ESB. We went at sunset and it was great!

cimg5007l.jpg

cimg5008g.jpg

Any other question you have just let me know :)

Great thread! We have just booked a trip to NY in June (in the Virgin sale) but am a bit horrified by the hotel prices! :scared1: Sounds like I need to look at the New York Palace - any other tips gratefully received! :thumbsup2

We flew AA to Chicago a few years ago, and then onto Orlando with them, and they were fantastic, the best airline we have ever used, and they can't do enough for you

Thanks for the tip about AA, I'd never really heard much about them before! :)

Do they all fly into JFK? that could be something else to consider, as I think it's the most easilly accessible airport, I've flown via Newark on another occassion and it was too big and badly laid out to get about as easilly.

Yeah, JFK. If the direct flight with Continental wasn't so expensive, I'm not sure I'd want to go with them anyway as they fly into Newark.

Hope you have a great time, it's certainly a great city. Though you will need a comfortable pair of shoes. ;)

:rotfl: It'll be Uggs or Havaianas, depending on the weather!

probably wont be much help here but aerlingus have great flight deals to nyc at the moment I got my flights for €350 each for February and I know the price ran well into april I know it will be a different price from the uk just thought Id mention it

Yeah, DBF mentioned the good deals with Aer Lingus. I might look into cheap flights to Dublin- might as well, as it looks like we're going indirect anyway. :thumbsup2

Just to rub it in (not that I've even seen Gossip Girl), here's a photo of DW in the courtyard of our hotel :)

cimg4933.jpg

Wow, that's great! I'm planning on visiting the Palace as I love Gossip Girl so much. :laughing:

Whereabouts is the hotel you're looking at? Different people prefer different locations.

The hotel is in an area called Murray Hill and it's just by Madison Avenue. It seems like a nice area!

Thanks for the tip about Top Of The Rock, sounds good! The photos are much appreciated. I feel rather excited that I'll be seeing these sights for myself soon. :)

If you don't mind flying from London, we booked flights with VA in the sale for £300.
Great photos Luke, looking forward to my first visit to NY :)

If you don't mind flying from London, we booked flights with VA in the sale for £300.

We were considering this but they have sold out on our dates now. :sad2:

The flights seem to be all over the place today, at the moment the most financially viable option for us is to go with Air France (via Paris). This is into Newark, unfortunately, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also, the hotel we wanted has sold out (it only has suites available now), so we have to search for a new one. Maybe the Palace?!

Go for the Palace if it's in your budget!
We paid £135 per night in July which seemed decent considering the standard of the place :)

Newark is a nice airport its huge it take about the same amount of time to get to Manhattan as it does from jfk and the plus side is you get to see manhattan as you land :)

It's (currently) £34 over budget but I'm sure we can live with that. :)

Is that for your dates too?
I'd say go for it, you only live once, and it's just an incredible hotel (I'm sure they must owe me commission considering how much I talk them up :lmao:) - honestly just sitting and having a drink in the courtyard overlooking St Patrick's with the Rockerfeller centre in the back ground is like a little peaceful haven in the middle of a crazy, bustling city!!

Here's me enjoying the courtyard in the rain (St Pat's behind me, you can just about make out Rockerfellar rising up behind that!)

cimg4931u.jpg

Let us know how you get on with your booking/planning :)

We were considering this but they have sold out on our dates now. :sad2:

The flights seem to be all over the place today, at the moment the most financially viable option for us is to go with Air France (via Paris). This is into Newark, unfortunately, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also, the hotel we wanted has sold out (it only has suites available now), so we have to search for a new one. Maybe the Palace?!

Arghh how typical, have you tried BA? i take it your dates are fixed?

also Marriott & Hilton hotels are currently running sale son weekend rates maybe worth checking out :)

Great thread! We have just booked a trip to NY in June (in the Virgin sale) but am a bit horrified by the hotel prices! :scared1: Sounds like I need to look at the New York Palace - any other tips gratefully received! :thumbsup2

We are going next month to NY & staying at the Skyline for 5 nights, flying direct with Delta cost us £675 each. The hotels prices I found very reasonable it was the flight which was a problem.

I remember when I went 6 years ago 3 nights in a 3 star & direct flights with Continental cost £340 each for 3 of us. I wish I could find similar prices thise time:thumbsup2

If looking for hotels, look on the likes of http://www.hotels.com & http://www.octopustravel.co.uk

I can't wait to go back, its my friends 1st trip so we plan to make the most of it:thumbsup2

Is that for your dates too?
I'd say go for it, you only live once, and it's just an incredible hotel

Yep, for my dates. :) I think I've got my heart set on the Palace. Hopefully the price will stay the same until Sunday when we book! Great pic by the way, St. Patrick's is lovely!

Arghh how typical, have you tried BA? i take it your dates are fixed?

also Marriott & Hilton hotels are currently running sale son weekend rates maybe worth checking out :)

Yeah, my dates are fixed. There are plenty of hotels at a reasonable price, it's just the flights that are a bit crazy. I couldn't see any available BA flights for my dates.

Thanks! :goodvibes: Unfortunately there is no availability for my dates.

We are going next month to NY & staying at the Skyline for 5 nights, flying direct with Delta cost us £675 each. The hotels prices I found very reasonable it was the flight which was a problem.

I remember when I went 6 years ago 3 nights in a 3 star & direct flights with Continental cost £340 each for 3 of us. I wish I could find similar prices thise time:thumbsup2

If looking for hotels, look on the likes of http://www.hotels.com & http://www.octopustravel.co.uk

I can't wait to go back, its my friends 1st trip so we plan to make the most of it:thumbsup2

£675! :scared1: I've found the same as you: hotels are ok, flights are scary! £340 each six years ago sounds great, I know prices go up over time but there seems to be a huge difference now. :confused3

It's mine and DBF's first trip so it's quite exciting! Thanks for the links. :)

Yep, for my dates. :) I think I've got my heart set on the Palace. Hopefully the price will stay the same until Sunday when we book! Great pic by the way, St. Patrick's is lovely!

Yeah, my dates are fixed. There are plenty of hotels at a reasonable price, it's just the flights that are a bit crazy. I couldn't see any available BA flights for my dates.

Thanks! :goodvibes: Unfortunately there is no availability for my dates.

£675! :scared1: I've found the same as you: hotels are ok, flights are scary! £340 each six years ago sounds great, I know prices go up over time but there seems to be a huge difference now. :confused3

It's mine and DBF's first trip so it's quite exciting! Thanks for the links. :)

The £675 each was for the whole holiday hotel & flight so not too bad, I would rather pay the £340 for the whole trip like last time though;)

The £675 each was for the whole holiday hotel & flight so not too bad, I would rather pay the £340 for the whole trip like last time though;)

Ahh! :) That's not too bad then, I'm looking at £800+ each (and that's for an indirect flight!). I won't pay any more than £850.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!