New York tips and discussion

Hi everyone, great thread:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I'm planning a (special ;-) birthday) girlie trip to New York for four nights from 1st December. It seems that thursday-monday is the cheapest days to go. Does everybody agree with this?

The flight prices start from around £430 (klm) from heathrow to £460 (virgin). I was hoping to get it in under £400 but no joy so far, do you think it's worth me waiting or booking now?

I also looked at the new york palace hotel but to get it within our budget we would needed to do four to a room but we would all prefer 2 to a room.
So I'm also looking at the Library Hotel, Distrikt Hotel and a few others.
If anybody has stayed at either of these, your opinion would be welcome:thumbsup2

It seems that thursday-monday is the cheapest days to go. Does everybody agree with this?

This is what I've heard and it's what we did last year. We're staying for an extra night this year (coming home on Tuesday).

The flight prices start from around £430 (klm) from heathrow to £460 (virgin). I was hoping to get it in under £400 but no joy so far, do you think it's worth me waiting or booking now?

Are those flights direct? If so, the prices aren't too bad, especially for the time of year.

I also looked at the new york palace hotel but to get it within our budget we would needed to do four to a room but we would all prefer 2 to a room.
If anybody has stayed at either of these, your opinion would be welcome:thumbsup2

Sorry, I have no idea about the Library Hotel or the Distrikt Hotel. Have you looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor? If you can stretch your budget a bit further, I'd definitely recommend the Palace- it's an awesome hotel.

Hi everyone, great thread:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I'm planning a (special ;-) birthday) girlie trip to New York for four nights from 1st December. It seems that thursday-monday is the cheapest days to go. Does everybody agree with this?

I would agree with the Thurs-Mon thing, the amount of deals we have missed for March because we're not there over a weekend is ridiculous!

I would also say those flight prices are quite good, we've paid £500 each :scared1: for Glasgow-Newark in March. More than I would be willing to pay but I didn't pay so I can't really complain ;)

I haven't used them but from what I've read people don't recommend them, well not on Trip Advisor or MSE. I believe they basically pick up groups of people and drop them off at their various places in the one trip. So basically you could sit at the airport until they've picked up enough people, then you have to drop them all off at their different locations so you could be first or last off and could end up on the shuttle for 1-2 hours. I think that's possibly what they mean by a will call basis.

Thanks for that .......... yes, just read the reviews and they're dreadful so I'll be giving those a miss!!!! Narrowed it down to a cab company called Dial 7 now ... they seem to have fairly good reviews and are quoting $60 for a minivan from JFK to hotels plus tolls and tip which doesnt seem too bad based on 5 pax.

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks for that .......... yes, just read the reviews and they're dreadful so I'll be giving those a miss!!!! Narrowed it down to a cab company called Dial 7 now ... they seem to have fairly good reviews and are quoting $60 for a minivan from JFK to hotels plus tolls and tip which doesnt seem too bad based on 5 pax.

Thanks for your help :)

The other one you can check is Carmel Limo. Tbh though both Carmel and Dial7 are quoting me the same price for our transfer from Newark. Haven't decided what we're doing yet, last time we just got a taxi outside Newark but toying with the booked car transfer. Also can't decide between Carmel or Dial7, lol.

Me again!

Just noticed the NewYorkPass is currently discounted on the direct site to be priced at 2009 prices until this Saturday.

Is this a good deal and should I strike now, or is a better offer likely to come out before the end of the year?

Any advice much appreciated!

Me again!

Just noticed the NewYorkPass is currently discounted on the direct site to be priced at 2009 prices until this Saturday.

Is this a good deal and should I strike now, or is a better offer likely to come out before the end of the year?

Any advice much appreciated!

I personally would buy it now, when we went last year we got a Thanksgiving weekend deal which had a little money off (can't remember now how much). If they are offering 2009 prices go for it:thumbsup2

Coming out at $1212 per 3 night stay from the 24th July .... and we need 2 rooms:scared1: so even with a family discount of 50% on the second room it was still £400 more expensive than Radio City Apartments ....... Completely different class I know but I keep telling myself we will be out and about for most of the day anyhow.

Maybe next time :thumbsup2

Coming out at $1212 per 3 night stay from the 24th July .... and we need 2 rooms:scared1: so even with a family discount of 50% on the second room it was still £400 more expensive than Radio City Apartments ....... Completely different class I know but I keep telling myself we will be out and about for most of the day anyhow.

Maybe next time :thumbsup2

That's the hotel's website I got the deal on Expedia UK although with the family offer I guess it comes out about the same. Hope you get a good deal next time :)

Know there's been some talk of this ticket earlier on the thread so thought I'd post this offer I received by email today to see if it helps any of you guys

3 or 7 day New York Pass - Save 20% with code: mail201

Brings the price of the 3 day down to the price of the 2 but as were only there 2 full days I think were going for one of the other cheaper multi day tickets.

Hope it helps someone :)

Ack, wish I'd had that code earlier! Never mind :rolleyes:

Got our Radio City Christmas Spectacular tickets for Christmas Day now too, feeling festive already!

I'M GOING TO NYC NEXT WEEK! :yay:

I can't believe it's come around so quickly... I really need to work on my itinerary. ;)

We've bought tickets to watch Ben Stiller's new play, which should be good. We're also thinking of getting tickets for a musical from the TKTS booth.

How are all your plans coming along? :)

We're off to NY in August for 6 nights, followed by 4 nights at Hampton beach, 4 in Boston and a final night at JFK before our daytime flight back to LHR.

Staying at Travelodge T5 the night before we leave and have meet & greet parking booked (saves messing around with bus/taxi and the additional costs).

In NY, have booked The Distrikt Hotel on 40th Street (booked through Hotels.com and managed to get a £200 refund through their pricematch promise and 12% cashback on top :) - also gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor), Ashworth by the Sea in New Hampton, managed to get a good deal on the Sheraton Back Bay in Boston through Hotwire, and finally one night at the Hampton Inn at JFK. One thing that has struck us is how much more expensive it is when you get away from Florida, and Orlando in particular!!

Have booked Crown Access Tickets for SoL on 7th August (09:00 time slot)and tickets for DW and DD for Wicked on 9th (will be taking myself off for a few :drinking1whilst they are at Wicked). Other than that, still finalising what to visit in NY.

Then taking Amtrak from Penn Station to Boston and picking up a rental car from Avis for our New Hampshire visit. This option worked out around 35-40% cheaper than a one way rental from Downtown NY. In passing, also saw a post on TA suggesting Amtrak or MTA North to Stamford (CT) station, then you can get a one-way rental with Hertz from there - may be worth looking into should anyone else be considering doing a similar journey.

Nothing planned for Hampton Beach other than chilling out on the beach and perhaps a bit of sightseeing around the area.

Then back to Boston, dropping car off, with attractions still to be decided. Finally, we have a one way rental to get us back to JFK, no doubt calling in at Premium Outlets to the south of Boston. Will probably keep the car for the evening so that we can drive out to a restaurant on Jamaica Bay or Long Island for a final blowout before returning to the UK.

I'M GOING TO NYC NEXT WEEK! :yay:

I can't believe it's come around so quickly... I really need to work on my itinerary. ;)

We've bought tickets to watch Ben Stiller's new play, which should be good. We're also thinking of getting tickets for a musical from the TKTS booth.

How are all your plans coming along? :)

So exciting! :banana:

We've got tickets to go and see Wicked although I love Ben Stiller, he's really good. Got ticket for the crown at Statue of Liberty for DH and youngest daughter, eldest daughter has health problems and would struggle so we're going shopping instead, isn't life a chore? ;) Just got to book Top of The Rock and a minibus sightseeing tour this weekend and then I think we are sorted :thumbsup2

If I don't speak to you beforehand make sure you have a fantastic time :Pinkbounc

Ahhh! Been trying to book Crown tickets for the Statue of Liberty for our June trip...didn't realise they sold out so far in advance :( :sad1: Is there any other way of getting them or just the official site? :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!