New blog on Tokyo Disney Resort

Keara: Your trip is coming real soon. I am so excited for you. What's your plan so far?

tinibee: Yes they do. I was surprised to find out that many eating establishments here don't accept cards. Visa seems to be more popular than Mastercard here and it seems like nobody uses American Express here. What's your fav burger joint here in Tokyo?

ANOTHER UPDATE TO THE BLOG

A continuation of our trip report to TDR in January of 2013. Here's a little write up about Hotel Miracosta.

http://konnichiwamickey.wordpress.c...side-harbor-view-jan-2013-trip-report-part-4/

Keara: Your trip is coming real soon. I am so excited for you. What's your plan so far?

92 days!!

We are going to be in Tokyo for 4 days before we head to Disney. Staying at the Sheraton. We're going to do Disney Sea Dec 3, Disneyland Dec 4 and half day at Disney Sea again before we catch our train to Kyoto.

What are your favorite restaurants and shows in each park? I'm trying to map out a plan of attack. I know Big Band Beat is apparently the best show - I hope we can get tickets. For food, I want to pick a seated restaurant for either lunch or dinner and then just quick service for the rest.

Any suggestions would be great!!

There are two big indoor shows in Disney Sea. Big band Beat and Mystic Rhythm.

Big Band Beat is an Amercian-style show with American Big Band music. It is a big, splashy show. It's very good. It features a quartet of voices, two male and two female. The women are terrific - the men not so much. I know many people think this is the better of the two - but I can see stuff like this in the States done better. I would put it significantly below Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo.

Mystic Rhythms is very Japanese, and highly unusual. It is a quiet show of acrobatics and dance in a tropical/paradise setting. Very lyrical, poetic. It also has some great visuals and a spectacular ending, so i much prefer this show.

There's no reason why you can't do both and judge for yourself.

Also in Disney Sea don't forget about the Duffy show at the Cape Cod Cookout. You just eat counter-service lunch and see the show. No particular start times, just enter as you like, the skits will repeat and you can start at any time. Very fun and clever and a great place to take a break.

In TDL there is an outdoor shaded show in Tomorrowland, One Man's Dream II, which is a series of Disney scenes done very theatrically. Quick set and costume changes, very impressive. No video component, so just old-fashioned theatre. It is VERY well done, and the scenes are very cute and clever. Light years above the lame Beauty and the Beast in Orlando.

Then there is the outdoor show at Disney sea, Mythica, but I am not sure what the winter schedule is.....

I am excited to really go over your Blog. My husband and I are taking our first Trip to TDR in late November. We will be staying the night close to Narita because we miss the last bus, but will take the first limobus the next day. We will be in Japan from Nov. 22-Dec 1st.

Keara: My fav restaurant in Disneysea is Ristorante Di Canaletto. In Disneyland, I really like Blue Bayou. Big Band Beat is not really my thing. I don't like that show. The band is really good, but I feel that the singers are just ok. I always get hit by the zzzz monster when I go for that show. Maybe, the chairs are too comfortable for me. Mystic Rhythms is good. I love One Man's Dream and the parades are really good. Fantasmic and Legend of Mythica are really good. If you want to find out more about restaurants, do check out the food reviews on my blog. I have write ups on some restaurants there. Ikspiari is also a really good place to go eat.

Shelemm: I totally agree with shows in the States being better. I agree with everything said. NICE!!! I've never tried the Duffy show. I don't really like Duffy, so I might not visit for a while, unless I wanna write a review on it. Legend Of Mythica still runs as per normal in the winter time.

polkadotrocks: That's a beautiful time to visit the resort. Nice weather. Thanks for the comment. More will be up real soon. I am super excited for you. TDS will blow you away. If you have any questions on planning, feel free to ask. PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!

Glad to see you had such a good time and also success in getting the most out of the ride! But it's reports like this that make me seriously consider buying two admission tickets just so I can double up on the fastpasses (I'm going alone and am no Usain Bolt...!)

Glad to see you had such a good time and also success in getting the most out of the ride! But it's reports like this that make me seriously consider buying two admission tickets just so I can double up on the fastpasses (I'm going alone and am no Usain Bolt...!)

If you go during off peak time it is not difficult at all. Today at noon Toy Story Mania was 60 minutes and Journey only 5 (not a typo five) minutes, Tower 40, Indy 45, Raging 50. Storm Rider 10 minutes. In the winter (Jan. after New Years is over)times will drop even more!

we're going around the same time!:banana::banana::banana:

Are you getting as excited as I am?? :cheer2:

I saw your post a few back and noticed you've also done your research and picked mid week days :thumbsup2 I don't know if I'll do a full TR, but I can check in here and let you know how the crowds are if you want.

If you go during off peak time it is not difficult at all. Today at noon Toy Story Mania was 60 minutes and Journey only 5 (not a typo five) minutes, Tower 40, Indy 45, Raging 50. Storm Rider 10 minutes. In the winter (Jan. after New Years is over)times will drop even more!

Well that's not too bad at all! If you drop by the park around the start of November, I'd love to have an update on the crowd situation :flower3:

Well that's not too bad at all! If you drop by the park around the start of November, I'd love to have an update on the crowd situation :flower3:

No problem, I'm there every few days. If you go in November before the Christmas event starts and during the week it should be similar. So before November 7th would be better for attractions. 7-8th there will be press which takes up show parade viewing areas and locals go to check the new events so it will be hectic but the week after (always go during the week) will be better. The closer you get to the end of the event it will get more and more crowded especially after December 19ish because schools will be out on winter break.

No problem, I'm there every few days. If you go in November before the Christmas event starts and during the week it should be similar. So before November 7th would be better for attractions. 7-8th there will be press which takes up show parade viewing areas and locals go to check the new events so it will be hectic but the week after (always go during the week) will be better. The closer you get to the end of the event it will get more and more crowded especially after December 19ish because schools will be out on winter break.

Hi .. We are heading to the parks from 5 - 8 Nov .. Do you think we will have much heavier crowds on the last two days because of Xmas? Do you have any idea what wait times we could expect for both parks on these days? Appreciate any advice you can provide :)

Hi .. We are heading to the parks from 5 - 8 Nov .. Do you think we will have much heavier crowds on the last two days because of Xmas? Do you have any idea what wait times we could expect for both parks on these days? Appreciate any advice you can provide :)

It will absolutely be more crowded the last two days but it you use your time on days 5 and 6 to get the more popular attractions out if the way it should be fine. The parade at land is new this year so probably the majority of crowds will be at TDL on the 7th myself included. The parade route is quite large though so if you are not aiming fit Toon Town, first row or prime standing areas you should be fine. Remember at TDS the first showing at BBB does not have a lottery and many people will go for the seasonal greeting first so try to get in line before the Christmas greeting lets out, not sure of the schedule yet. In any case you should be ok because you will go on the 5th and 6th I think.

It will absolutely be more crowded the last two days but it you use your time on days 5 and 6 to get the more popular attractions out if the way it should be fine. The parade at land is new this year so probably the majority of crowds will be at TDL on the 7th myself included. The parade route is quite large though so if you are not aiming fit Toon Town, first row or prime standing areas you should be fine. Remember at TDS the first showing at BBB does not have a lottery and many people will go for the seasonal greeting first so try to get in line before the Christmas greeting lets out, not sure of the schedule yet. In any case you should be ok because you will go on the 5th and 6th I think.

Thanks so much! We were planning on doing the following (probably with limited hopping - we are not really park hoppers except at Disneyland where it's so easy to do!):

TDS - 5 Nov
TDL - 6 Nov
TDS - 7 Nov
TDL/TDS - 8 Nov

I'm not hugely into day time parades so if that's where the crowds will be i'll happily skip it! In regards to Big Bang Beat I thought we'd just try out hand at the lottery on the 7th - if we don't get to see it we don't get to see it - i'd rather make the headliner attractions 1st thing to do on my list - also we will be skipping Toy Story Mania since our trip also includes visits to WDW and DLR so that should be one less thing to run and grab a fastpass for yes? I'm also not huge on shooting interactive dark rides so don't have Monsters Inc high up on my priority list - what are your thoughts on that one? Also, it's my understanding that since we are staying on property (Miracosta) we can book priority dining reservations a month out from our stay on the reservations line (my bookings weren't made online so I can't use the online system to do it)

On the Fri 8 Nov i've planned to hit a few fav attractions at Tokyo Disney again and then just spend the rest of the day soaking up the atmosphere so if it's really busy at the parts that day then that's ok :)

Since you are a local and know the parks well do you reckon you could tell me if you think my touring plans I have done up are managable?

Tues 5 Nov 13

1. Arrive at Tokyo Disney Sea 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Tower of Terror and Ride Journey to the Centre of the Earth
3. Ride Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - using the Single Rider line if necessary (the strategy of using single rider lines works well for my husband and I as we are happy to be split up - this plan might not work so well for families with kids)
4. Ride Storm Rider - get second FP of the day for Journey to the Centre of the Earth
5. Use the Tower of Terror FP if available
6. Ride 20000 Leagues under the Sea
7. Ride Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull again using FP
8. Ride Sinbad's Journey
9. Take a short break and then have lunch (booking priority seating at S.S Columbia Dining Room approx 1pm)
10. Use Journey to the Centre of the Earth FP
11. Go to Mermaid Lagoon - do rides and or soak up the atmosphere - see Under the Sea show in the Mermaid Theatre
12. Out of the park for rest if staying on property or Soak up atmosphere of the park
13. Dinner in the park early (approx 5:30pm - booking priority seating at Ristorante di Canaletto) and then go to Harbour View Room we have for Fantasmic (usually starts at approx 8pm)
14. Re-ride any rides if lines are short (apparently Aquatopia is beautiful at night and so is Toy Story Mania)

Wed 6 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Tokyo Disneyland 1 hour early
2. Go to Pooh's Hunny Hunt - get FP for later
3. Ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt
4. Ride Space Mountain
5. Ride Star Tours if lines are managable
6. Get FP for Big Thunder Mountain
7. Use Pooh's Hunny Hunt FP
8. Shopping/take in sights - get another FP for Splash Mountain/Space Mountain when able to
9. Lunch - Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (at around 2pm)
10. Use Pooh's Hunny Hunt FP if not used before
11. Ride Splash Mountain using SR line
12. Ride Pirates of the Carribean
13. Use any outstanding FP's
14. Dinner - early (5:30pm) - we've chosen the Blue Bayou - will book priority seating
15. Find a spot for Tokyo Disney Electrical Parade and watch
16. Re-ride any rides that have short lines - apparently crowds may start to disperse after the parade

Thurs 7 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Disney Sea at least 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Ride now if lines are short (or Toy Story if you prefer)
3. Rider Tower of Terror
3. Ride Indiana Jones using SR
4. Use Journey to the Earth FP
5. Ride 20000 Leagues Under the Sea - obtain another FP if you wish to re-ride anything
6. Ride Aquatopia
7. Early lunch - will book priority seating at Magellan's for 11am
8. Explore Fortress Explorations
9. Attempt to get Big Bang Beat Lottery Ticket
10. Find spot around the lagoon to watch Legends of Mythica - afternoon water parade
11. Watch Mystic Rhythms in the Lost River Delta
12. Watch Big Band Beat in the American Waterfront if we get tickets (or rearrange other shows if we get a seating)
13. Watch any other shows/enjoy other areas not experienced
14. Dinner at Sebastian's Calypso Kitchen
15. Shopping/Rides with short lines and soak up night atmosphere
16. Watch Fantasmic again or take advantage of show to ride rides with shorter lines

Fri 8 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Tokyo Disneyland 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Monsters Inc and Ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt
3. Ride Space Mountain or Star Tours
4. Ride Splash Mountain using SR line
5. Break/soak up atmosphere - use Monsters Inc FP if available
6. Character meet and greets
7. Lunch - Grandma Sara's Kitchen at approx 2pm
8. To Disney Sea to take photos and soak up atmosphere - Dinner at Vulcania

Sorry to give you so much to read - I'd just really appreciate your opinion on what i've come up with when you have the time :) :)

Thanks so much! We were planning on doing the following (probably with limited hopping - we are not really park hoppers except at Disneyland where it's so easy to do!):

TDS - 5 Nov
TDL - 6 Nov
TDS - 7 Nov
TDL/TDS - 8 Nov

I'm not hugely into day time parades so if that's where the crowds will be i'll happily skip it! In regards to Big Bang Beat I thought we'd just try out hand at the lottery on the 7th - if we don't get to see it we don't get to see it - i'd rather make the headliner attractions 1st thing to do on my list - also we will be skipping Toy Story Mania since our trip also includes visits to WDW and DLR so that should be one less thing to run and grab a fastpass for yes? I'm also not huge on shooting interactive dark rides so don't have Monsters Inc high up on my priority list - what are your thoughts on that one? Also, it's my understanding that since we are staying on property (Miracosta) we can book priority dining reservations a month out from our stay on the reservations line (my bookings weren't made online so I can't use the online system to do it)

On the Fri 8 Nov i've planned to hit a few fav attractions at Tokyo Disney again and then just spend the rest of the day soaking up the atmosphere so if it's really busy at the parts that day then that's ok :)

Since you are a local and know the parks well do you reckon you could tell me if you think my touring plans I have done up are managable?

Tues 5 Nov 13

1. Arrive at Tokyo Disney Sea 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Tower of Terror and Ride Journey to the Centre of the Earth
3. Ride Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - using the Single Rider line if necessary (the strategy of using single rider lines works well for my husband and I as we are happy to be split up - this plan might not work so well for families with kids)
4. Ride Storm Rider - get second FP of the day for Journey to the Centre of the Earth
5. Use the Tower of Terror FP if available
6. Ride 20000 Leagues under the Sea
7. Ride Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull again using FP
8. Ride Sinbad's Journey
9. Take a short break and then have lunch (booking priority seating at S.S Columbia Dining Room approx 1pm)
10. Use Journey to the Centre of the Earth FP
11. Go to Mermaid Lagoon - do rides and or soak up the atmosphere - see Under the Sea show in the Mermaid Theatre
12. Out of the park for rest if staying on property or Soak up atmosphere of the park
13. Dinner in the park early (approx 5:30pm - booking priority seating at Ristorante di Canaletto) and then go to Harbour View Room we have for Fantasmic (usually starts at approx 8pm)
14. Re-ride any rides if lines are short (apparently Aquatopia is beautiful at night and so is Toy Story Mania)

Wed 6 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Tokyo Disneyland 1 hour early
2. Go to Pooh's Hunny Hunt - get FP for later
3. Ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt
4. Ride Space Mountain
5. Ride Star Tours if lines are managable
6. Get FP for Big Thunder Mountain
7. Use Pooh's Hunny Hunt FP
8. Shopping/take in sights - get another FP for Splash Mountain/Space Mountain when able to
9. Lunch - Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (at around 2pm)
10. Use Pooh's Hunny Hunt FP if not used before
11. Ride Splash Mountain using SR line
12. Ride Pirates of the Carribean
13. Use any outstanding FP's
14. Dinner - early (5:30pm) - we've chosen the Blue Bayou - will book priority seating
15. Find a spot for Tokyo Disney Electrical Parade and watch
16. Re-ride any rides that have short lines - apparently crowds may start to disperse after the parade

Thurs 7 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Disney Sea at least 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Ride now if lines are short (or Toy Story if you prefer)
3. Rider Tower of Terror
3. Ride Indiana Jones using SR
4. Use Journey to the Earth FP
5. Ride 20000 Leagues Under the Sea - obtain another FP if you wish to re-ride anything
6. Ride Aquatopia
7. Early lunch - will book priority seating at Magellan's for 11am
8. Explore Fortress Explorations
9. Attempt to get Big Bang Beat Lottery Ticket
10. Find spot around the lagoon to watch Legends of Mythica - afternoon water parade
11. Watch Mystic Rhythms in the Lost River Delta
12. Watch Big Band Beat in the American Waterfront if we get tickets (or rearrange other shows if we get a seating)
13. Watch any other shows/enjoy other areas not experienced
14. Dinner at Sebastian's Calypso Kitchen
15. Shopping/Rides with short lines and soak up night atmosphere
16. Watch Fantasmic again or take advantage of show to ride rides with shorter lines

Fri 8 Nov 13
1. Arrive at Tokyo Disneyland 1 hour before opening
2. Get FP for Monsters Inc and Ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt
3. Ride Space Mountain or Star Tours
4. Ride Splash Mountain using SR line
5. Break/soak up atmosphere - use Monsters Inc FP if available
6. Character meet and greets
7. Lunch - Grandma Sara's Kitchen at approx 2pm
8. To Disney Sea to take photos and soak up atmosphere - Dinner at Vulcania

Sorry to give you so much to read - I'd just really appreciate your opinion on what i've come up with when you have the time :) :)

Sounds great! I think doing Sea on the 7th is a good choice and in any case the people at TDS will be at Table is Waiting and watching the Christmas greeting so you'll have an advantage in the morning. The only thing I would change is on the TDL day to get a Monsters FP first then Pooh then choose your next FP. Space Mountain FP's usually last a little longer compared to the other attractions. Monsters Inc has had the longest waits lately along with Splash but Splashes wait may go down as it gets colder, not sure.

DreamSweetsLove said:

I'm going 19-22 November so it sounds like I'm in for a good time crowd wise :-) thanks for that!

I think my original plan was to go the week before, and it's just lucky that I pushed the dates back - a friend who has traveled to Japan many times told me about an event on 15 November (shichi go san?) and made me change my schedule so I might see some cute kids all dressed up hehe

Sounds great! I think doing Sea on the 7th is a good choice and in any case the people at TDS will be at Table is Waiting and watching the Christmas greeting so you'll have an advantage in the morning. The only thing I would change is on the TDL day to get a Monsters FP first then Pooh then choose your next FP. Space Mountain FP's usually last a little longer compared to the other attractions. Monsters Inc has had the longest waits lately along with Splash but Splashes wait may go down as it gets colder, not sure.

Thanks for that!! I feel a little easier about our plans now .. I was so nervous about the 2-4 hour lines that I'd heard were normal! But I think we have enough time to get everything we want done

Thanks for the advice about the monsters FP .. I think I'm going to play that by ear, as from the research I've done I don't honestly think I will be that sad if we miss it but I do want to ride pooh as many times as possible.. One final question? In your experience what have the lines at Star Tours been like since the new version opened?

Thanks so much for all your advice .. Can't wait to see the parks :)

Thanks for that!! I feel a little easier about our plans now .. I was so nervous about the 2-4 hour lines that I'd heard were normal! But I think we have enough time to get everything we want done

Thanks for the advice about the monsters FP .. I think I'm going to play that by ear, as from the research I've done I don't honestly think I will be that sad if we miss it but I do want to ride pooh as many times as possible.. One final question? In your experience what have the lines at Star Tours been like since the new version opened?

Thanks so much for all your advice .. Can't wait to see the parks :)

It's no problem! I think you have to be careful with reviews of Monsters Inc and think you should ride it at least once. It's a fun and unique attraction to Tokyo Disneyland and they added and changed a lot since it opened. When it first opened there seemed to be many people who were not sure what to do or did not feel like using the flash light did much and it was quite rough when turning. Then they added filters so people can tell which flashlight is theirs and also made it clear in the queue what you are supposed to do and where you are supposed to aim to activated the monsters in each scene. In addition to that they added a lot more animatronics and it runs way more smoothly so it's a very different attraction from when it first opened.

Star Tours just opened but right now it seems like the normal day pattern should be around the 45 minute mark on normal weekdays. On not so busy weekends around 60 minutes and on really busy holidays and busy weekends/weekdays 70 maybe 80. When FP runs out really depends, on some days you can get FP even up until the late afternoons but on crowded days all bets are off and it should run out very fast. Take note the FP for this attraction is not next to Star Tours but next to Space Mountain so it's a little out of the way from the attraction.

This sounds promising for our trip-- we're planning the last week of November, the 25-29. What are your predictions for crowds that week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter