New blog on Tokyo Disney Resort

Hell yeah! That's ramen noodles for me too. The thick noodles don't really do it for me. Have never tried Saimin noodles. Next time I head to Hawaii, I will definitely give that a try. What's the soup base for that one?
First of all, I will admit that I am extremely picky about saimin. My grandparents, waaay back in the day, owned a small, hole in the wall, saimin stand in Honolulu. IMO, they had the best saimin and teriyaki beef sticks ever! It's been decades since they retired and sold their business (both have been deceased for a while now). I have never found a place that has better saimin (or, my favorite, won ton min).

Currently, on the island where I live (Oahu) the closest place that can rival my grandparents' saimin is a place called Saimin House in Kalihi. Palace Saimin is pretty good too (also in Kalihi). Both places have limited parking, though. There are many other restaurants that serve saimin on my island, but they're just OK. You just can not find good saimin anymore. For the neighbor islands, there is a place called Hamura's on Kauai (Lihue) that is very popular, but I haven't been there in a very long time, so I don't know if it's the same as what I recall. On the Big Isle, there is a place called Nori's in Hilo that is also well known, but I've been there last December, and I was disappointed. Maybe I just like ramen better these days. I feel like ramen places have been taking over Hawaii in the recent years. As for the broth, it can vary, but I believe most will include bonito, possibly shrimp or chicken stock, and konbu, as the most popular ingredients.

OK, just read on your blog about 7 places to eat on Oahu outside of Aulani...I have to say, I've never been to any of those places, except for Ted's Bakery. Actually, I haven't been to Ted's Bakery in many, many years, but we purchase their pies occasionally at our local supermarkets. The Chocolate Haupia is a favorite, for sure! Oh, and I've been on the KCC campus, but never went to their Farmer's Market. WOW, I really need to get out more and experience some of those amazing foods! Thanks for sharing your experiences! It's great to get feedback from someone outside of our islands!

First of all, I will admit that I am extremely picky about saimin. My grandparents, waaay back in the day, owned a small, hole in the wall, saimin stand in Honolulu. IMO, they had the best saimin and teriyaki beef sticks ever! It's been decades since they retired and sold their business (both have been deceased for a while now). I have never found a place that has better saimin (or, my favorite, won ton min).

Currently, on the island where I live (Oahu) the closest place that can rival my grandparents' saimin is a place called Saimin House in Kalihi. Palace Saimin is pretty good too (also in Kalihi). Both places have limited parking, though. There are many other restaurants that serve saimin on my island, but they're just OK. You just can not find good saimin anymore. For the neighbor islands, there is a place called Hamura's on Kauai (Lihue) that is very popular, but I haven't been there in a very long time, so I don't know if it's the same as what I recall. On the Big Isle, there is a place called Nori's in Hilo that is also well known, but I've been there last December, and I was disappointed. Maybe I just like ramen better these days. I feel like ramen places have been taking over Hawaii in the recent years. As for the broth, it can vary, but I believe most will include bonito, possibly shrimp or chicken stock, and konbu, as the most popular ingredients.

I might be heading to Oahu again next February with the fam. This is really good information. Thank you so much. I will definitely try Saimin House out. I've never been to Kalihi. We always rent a car, so it shouldn't be a problem to drive there. Thank you so much for this information. I am excited about trying this out. It's new to me!

OK, just read on your blog about 7 places to eat on Oahu outside of Aulani...I have to say, I've never been to any of those places, except for Ted's Bakery. Actually, I haven't been to Ted's Bakery in many, many years, but we purchase their pies occasionally at our local supermarkets. The Chocolate Haupia is a favorite, for sure! Oh, and I've been on the KCC campus, but never went to their Farmer's Market. WOW, I really need to get out more and experience some of those amazing foods! Thanks for sharing your experiences! It's great to get feedback from someone outside of our islands!

Oahu has great food. I really wanna drive around and try everything. I love driving around in North Shore. A lot of great places to eat there. Thank you so much for reading. Really appreciate it. What are some of your favorite food joints in Oahu?

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I've posted on Disboards. Been busy working on the new outlay for the site. Everything is up and running again. Hopefully, this new outlay will help you navigate the site easily. You'll be able to navigate the site through the page "The Sewer". Also, recently, I've been making more videos and been writing more lists. Here's a little update on the more popular posts for Honorable Rat. Thanks for reading and appreciate the support.

Videos

Top 5 attractions in Tokyo DisneySea:

Top 5 Budget Restaurants in Tokyo DisneySea (Song):

Top 5 Budget Restaurants in Tokyo Disneyland:

Ikspiari Snack Run:

Mickey makes a birthday parfait for the kids:

Blog Posts

8 Instagrammable Foods in Tokyo Disneyland That are Digestible: http://www.honorablerat.com/tokyo-disneyland/2016/8/3/instagramable-tokyo-disneyland-foods

7 Alcoholic Beverages with TDRExplorer: http://www.honorablerat.com/tokyo-disneysea/2016/8/14/7-alcoholic-beverages-with-tdrexplorer

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter