New Alcohol Policy - How is it playing out at Embarkation?

We were on the 10/4 Magic sailing. I brought on 3 mini bottles of the Sutter Home moscato and my husband had hard apple cider. I think Red's ale was the brand or something like that... We wrapped it in a plastic bag. Put it in our backpack and thru xray. No issues

I just returned from a cruise out of San Diego. My husband and I had our four bottles of wine and some small water bottles in the same carry on (soft sided cooler). I put it on the scanner while my husband was still a few steps behind. There was not any comment/ question regarding my having 4 bottles, though common sense could have been used to figure that we were together. The cooler was not unzipped for any type of further inspection. We both felt that had we chosen to, that it would have been quite easy to bring on additional liquor. We will never know though, as we decided not to take that route. To be honest, had it been a longer cruise,
we very well may have given it a shot. We have always brought on plenty in the past and were one of the non supporters of the new policy.

We were on the 10/4 5nt Wonder from San Diego and I noticed ALOT of people sitting around the pool with wine bottles/glasses and bringing their own buckets of beer to the beverage station to fill up with ice. That much glass around the pools makes me nervous (glass beer bottles and wine bottles). Never noticed it before the new policy went into place.

I'm curious, how can security tell if a bottle in your carry on is either wine or liquor? I can imagine how time consuming it would be just to past thru security if everyone has to open their carry-on:confused3

I'm curious, how can security tell if a bottle in your carry on is either wine or liquor? I can imagine how time consuming it would be just to past thru security if everyone has to open their carry-on:confused3
They use scanners, just like airports. Generally, they will go by the bottle shape/size. Wine bottles are usually shaped differently than hard alcohol bottles.

If security wants to check your bag, they will take you aside, not stop the line. And, as not everyone brings wine onboard, not everyone will be having to open their bags.

I was considering bringing a couple of these http://www.botabox.com/content/bota...r_content/imageHome.img.jpg/1427718383228.jpg
I don't normally drink wine from a box, but a friend turned me onto these. They are actually quite good. Anyway, each little box equals two bottles of wine.
I also want to bring a 12 pack of Mike's Hard lemonade. That box is also compact as the cans are 8 oz each. The slim Cornoa Light cans are also surprisingly small for a 12 pack.
I'm wondering what i can get away with since we are 4 adults total.
I'd be willing to do one box and a case each of Corona and Mike's.

We were on the October 4th, 5 nighter on the Wonder. We brought 4 bottles of wine in our carry-on and were not even questioned about them. We also had two rum-runners in different suitcases, both of which made it through to our cabin. In Ensenada, there was a 3 foot high sign just off the ship on the dock stating the new policy, and basically stating that two more bottles of wine or 6 beers were allowed back on, but anymore or any hard liquor would be kept until the end of the cruise. We did not bring on anymore alcohol in Ensenada or in Cabo. We drank our 4 bottles of wine, and only made two cocktails with our snuck on rum and vodka. We bought about 4 glasses of wine, two beers, and a couple of cocktails while on board.

We were on the October 4th, 5 nighter on the Wonder. We brought 4 bottles of wine in our carry-on and were not even questioned about them. We also had two rum-runners in different suitcases, both of which made it through to our cabin. In Ensenada, there was a 3 foot high sign just off the ship on the dock stating the new policy, and basically stating that two more bottles of wine or 6 beers were allowed back on, but anymore or any hard liquor would be kept until the end of the cruise. We did not bring on anymore alcohol in Ensenada or in Cabo. We drank our 4 bottles of wine, and only made two cocktails with our snuck on rum and vodka. We bought about 4 glasses of wine, two beers, and a couple of cocktails while on board.
please forgive me if this is a stupid question, i don't drink a lot, what is a rum runner? i know i have heard of it before but not sure what it is.

plastic bladder that holds liquid, used by scofflaws to sneak booze into places that a metal detector or other snoopy person may not find...

Just got back from our 7 day Fantasy on the embarked on October 3rd. We were very upset that we couldn't bring anything onboard as I love Jack and the wife vodka. Same with other family we traveled with. We decided to smuggle and were able to do so by youtubing how to take off bottle caps intact and refill the bottles. Ended up taking 6 pureleaf iced tea bottles filled with Jack and a smartwater with vodka. They were indistinguishable as seals were perfectly intact and they didn't even question anything. At Jamaica port, got a bottle of Rum from Margaritaville and they didn't even question it or take it as coming on board. It was a gift so did not open but definitely saw them taking bottles from others on other ports. Seemed very relaxed and not a big deal if you try to conceal by the means I did. Little work but it saved a ton of money on drinks even though we still spent a ton as well.

Just got back from our 7 day Fantasy on the embarked on October 3rd. We were very upset that we couldn't bring anything onboard as I love Jack and the wife vodka. Same with other family we traveled with. We decided to smuggle and were able to do so by youtubing how to take off bottle caps intact and refill the bottles. Ended up taking 6 pureleaf iced tea bottles filled with Jack and a smartwater with vodka. They were indistinguishable as seals were perfectly intact and they didn't even question anything. At Jamaica port, got a bottle of Rum from Margaritaville and they didn't even question it or take it as coming on board. It was a gift so did not open but definitely saw them taking bottles from others on other ports. Seemed very relaxed and not a big deal if you try to conceal by the means I did. Little work but it saved a ton of money on drinks even though we still spent a ton as well.
What's that video listed under on youtube?

We used Pureleaf tea bottles for darker alcohol (Jack Daniels) and Smartwater Bottles for clear (Vodka). Be sure you fill them to the same level as a normally unopened original bottle of the liquid you choose. We also decided to make it a more inconspicuous by brining a few bottles of both the Pureleaf tea and Smartwaters so they altered and unaltered bottles where just all together in our carry-on roller bag. Our total count was a 6 pack of each, 5 of the tea's were Jack and 1 normal, and then 2 of the smartwater vodkas and 4 regular water. This way it makes it appear you are just bringing on a store bought 6 pack of each liquid. Good luck and it was seriously so undistinguishable even to us that we had to crack each open when we got on the cruise to make sure the kids didn't grab an alcohol one when they wanted water.

We used Pureleaf tea bottles for darker alcohol (Jack Daniels) and Smartwater Bottles for clear (Vodka). Be sure you fill them to the same level as a normally unopened original bottle of the liquid you choose. We also decided to make it a more inconspicuous by brining a few bottles of both the Pureleaf tea and Smartwaters so they altered and unaltered bottles where just all together in our carry-on roller bag. Our total count was a 6 pack of each, 5 of the tea's were Jack and 1 normal, and then 2 of the smartwater vodkas and 4 regular water. This way it makes it appear you are just bringing on a store bought 6 pack of each liquid. Good luck and it was seriously so undistinguishable even to us that we had to crack each open when we got on the cruise to make sure the kids didn't grab an alcohol one when they wanted water.
:scared1: Does anyone else remember the Tylenol tampering? I may never trust a sealed bottle again.

Just saying, for you Liquor lovers (or wine haters LOL) it is possible to buy cheap bottles of wine, uncork and dump (or drink, whatever floats your boat) refill with vodka, recork with original cork, and seal with PVC sealers on amazon that they sell 30 for $7. ;)

I was considering bringing a couple of these http://www.botabox.com/content/bota...r_content/imageHome.img.jpg/1427718383228.jpg
I don't normally drink wine from a box, but a friend turned me onto these. They are actually quite good. Anyway, each little box equals two bottles of wine.
I also want to bring a 12 pack of Mike's Hard lemonade. That box is also compact as the cans are 8 oz each. The slim Cornoa Light cans are also surprisingly small for a 12 pack.
I'm wondering what i can get away with since we are 4 adults total.
I'd be willing to do one box and a case each of Corona and Mike's.

I will be curious what happens with people trying to bring on ciders or hard lemonade. When I had my call with DCL I was told it was beer only which sucks for GF people because ciders are where it's at for us. The beers aren't all that great.

When I sailed Carnival in April they actually shook each of my water bottles, checking for bubbles or something to see if I had tried the refill with clear liquor trick! And then they decided no more water allowed to be brought on at all cause it was such a problem. We'd heard they shine lights thru your wine bottle too but we didn't have that happen to us. Ours was actually wine. Just FYI since DCL says they want to be like everyone in the industry it seems!

Last edited:
We got off the Fantasy on Saturday and were one of the many people who were PIF when they announced the change of policy. There is now a huge sign outside the security area at Port Canaveral stating the new alcohol policy. Pretty hard to miss.

We took our beer allotment and a case of water - no one opened our suitcase to look at the beer or the waters. The one security woman even said to me, "is that wine or beer?" and when I said it was beer, she just handed me my suitcase. We *may* have also brought a small bottle of rum on board with our toiletries...and that small bottle of rum may have made it safely to our stateroom. :rolleyes: We bought a bottle of rum in St Thomas, and they checked it in when we reboarded. Simple and easy and then when we were kicked off the ship on Saturday morning, the alcohol table was to the right of the Deck 3 midship gangway. Easy peasy.

It sounds like they are really getting the hang of the new policy. That's good news! Now let's hope they don't make it any more restrictive. We are sad about the liquor, but not being able to bring a couple of bottles of water would be downright annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!