Nemesis Challenge 2

This might help in training!

13d0536e-fd3e-4e2a-b705-d810da894332.png

I saw where you have to submit times so they can place you in a corral depding on your speed. Do you have to submit the times from a authorized race at home or what?

I saw where you have to submit times so they can place you in a corral depding on your speed. Do you have to submit the times from a authorized race at home or what?

You have to submit a race time for a race that is 10k or longer. Disney seems to be pretty liberal in their acceptance of times. If you don't submit it when you sign up you can bring a time to expo and they will change your corral there.

ok one more question.

Is it better to run in am or pm??
Some say its better in am cause it gives you a boost for the day.Others will say am cause you burn more fat cause you will be running on less calorie intake.then some say run at night cause you burn off what you just ate earlier. hen a lot just say run when it fits your schedule.What do you my fellow runners say?

ok one more question.

Some say its better in am cause it gives you a boost for the day.Others will say am cause you burn more fat cause you will be running on less calorie intake.then some say run at night cause you burn off what you just ate earlier. hen a lot just say run when it fits your schedule.What do you my fellow runners say?

I do both depending on our schedules at home. I like pm better, because I feel sluggish first thing in the morning.

ok one more question.

I don't know the magical answer... but I ran last night at 9:00 - 9:30...

Then I went to bed at 11:30 and was unable to fall asleep. I guess the run gives you a bit of an energy boost... I fell asleep around 3:00, and now up at 7:40 showered, tired and ready to go to work. :confused:

ok Well I figured out when I will be training. Lets just say I doubt it will be mornings !!! At least not thursday mornings !!!!!

ok Well I figured out when I will be training. Lets just say I doubt it will be mornings !!! At least not thursday mornings !!!!!

I have been running after work and before dinner. That way I am hungry and it gives me time to cool down before bed. I don't really have time to run in the morning.

ok one more question.

During the week, I run at night - usually after 8pm when the kids are all tucked into bed. As long as I'm done before 9 or 9:15 I don't have any problem sleeping. But when I need to do longer runs (more than an hour or so) I do those on the weekend in the morning. I'm the opposite of David - I feel fresh and energized first thing in the morning because I haven't been out and about all day. But, yeah, pretty much the best time to run is when it fits into your schedule.

As far as winter running - the tips I've heard is to dress as if the weather was 20° warmer that it actually is. Moisture wicking material is even more important in the cold - getting that sweat away from your body is key. But most of all - watch out for ice. I do most of my runs at night after the kids have been tucked into bed, which means it's quite dark out. A small patch of ice black ice can set you back a month or more in training if you hit it wrong. Shorten your stride and keep your feet lower to the ground to decrease the chance of slippage.

Thanks, Barry!

You have to submit a race time for a race that is 10k or longer. Disney seems to be pretty liberal in their acceptance of times. If you don't submit it when you sign up you can bring a time to expo and they will change your corral there.

What if you haven't run a 10K? Can you still enter? Or do you have to have run a 10K before the half?

I hereby challenge my Nemesis, Steve Wiley, to race me in the Disney Half Marathon in 2014. Up for it old man? Got a year to train

Pick your teams, dads!

Update:

List of Potential Runners so Far:

Team Beverly
Chris (aka DisDocChris/DisDadDoc)
Randall (aka Cinderella's Fella)

Team Dole Whip
Steve (aka GoHerd)
Carl (aka DisneyDadC)

Unassigned or Still Considering (?)
Randy (aka Tutter)
Brian (twokids0204)
Aaron (AJRitz)
Barry? (FreezinRafiki)
Tim? (that's nice)
Ryan? (IamTrike)
Terry?
Adam? (AD)
Paul? (RodBelding)
Justin? (jmwest)

FYI, Page 1 Updated.

What if you haven't run a 10K? Can you still enter? Or do you have to have run a 10K before the half?
Yes. When I registered last spring I had only one half hearted attempt at at 5k. When you register, it will ask you for an estimated finish time and proof that you can actually come close to that. "Proof" is giving them a race that you ran (at least 10k in distance) and the time you finished in. Or you can do like I did and leave that question blank.

This year, we had until November 1 to send them an email with that proof of time to get your corral placement printed on your race bib. I ran a 15k race in Milwaukee on Oct 27th, emailed my finishing time, and got a bib with corral B in it.

Tim did his qualifing race on Thanksgiving, so he missed the Nov 1 email deadline. So he just printed out the race results from his race and took it to the Runner Relations booth at the Marathon Expo. He got a "corral B" sticker to cover up the original "F" or "G" or whatever they printed on his bib.

So, long story short - you don't need to have run a 10k before registering for the half marathon.

Doc's question about having to run a 10k before the half, along with a conversation I had with another Dad via text last night, got me thinking. And that's never a good thing....

While I told Doc that you don't need to run any type of race before the half marathon, you really, really should. For one, 13.1 miles is a very lofty goal. Clearly it's an attainable goal (Look at Tim and I), but if you get off one of your early training runs having ran just a few minutes at a fairly slow pace and feeling like your legs or chest are about to explode it's quite easy to get into the mindset of "I'm never going to be able to run 13.1 miles!"

So go find a 5k in your area. Most registrations run about $25 and you get a sweet t-shirt and sometimes a goodie bag. http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx is a good resource to find races, as are local running stores or local running clubs. A typical couch to 5k program is about 9 weeks long. So find a race that is around April or May. That will give you enough time to finish the training and give you a goal that is much closer and easier to attack. It will also give you an idea of what it feels like to go through packet pickup, get lined up for a race and compete with other runners. (Hint: it's a rush. Even if you come in last place, just being out there is an accomplishment)

Once you get that first 5k done, start working on longer distances. Another 5k, or 8k or 10k. I did 5 races from the time I started training last year to half in January. (5k,10k,5k,8k,15k). Each one gave me a tangible and reachable goal, all the while keeping me on track for the ultimate half marathon race. They're also a lot of fun - the Packers put on one where you got to run through Lambeau Field. Another raised money for the local Children's hospital. One race was just days before Halloween, so a ton of runners were in costume.

So don't get discouraged if you're not running as fast or as long as you want to be. Training takes time, but you've got a lot of time to go before January 11th.

Doc's question about having to run a 10k before the half, along with a conversation I had with another Dad via text last night, got me thinking. And that's never a good thing....

While I told Doc that you don't need to run any type of race before the half marathon, you really, really should. For one, 13.1 miles is a very lofty goal. Clearly it's an attainable goal (Look at Tim and I), but if you get off one of your early training runs having ran just a few minutes at a fairly slow pace and feeling like your legs or chest are about to explode it's quite easy to get into the mindset of "I'm never going to be able to run 13.1 miles!"

So go find a 5k in your area. Most registrations run about $25 and you get a sweet t-shirt and sometimes a goodie bag. http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx is a good resource to find races, as are local running stores or local running clubs. A typical couch to 5k program is about 9 weeks long. So find a race that is around April or May. That will give you enough time to finish the training and give you a goal that is much closer and easier to attack. It will also give you an idea of what it feels like to go through packet pickup, get lined up for a race and compete with other runners. (Hint: it's a rush. Even if you come in last place, just being out there is an accomplishment)

Once you get that first 5k done, start working on longer distances. Another 5k, or 8k or 10k. I did 5 races from the time I started training last year to half in January. (5k,10k,5k,8k,15k). Each one gave me a tangible and reachable goal, all the while keeping me on track for the ultimate half marathon race. They're also a lot of fun - the Packers put on one where you got to run through Lambeau Field. Another raised money for the local Children's hospital. One race was just days before Halloween, so a ton of runners were in costume.

So don't get discouraged if you're not running as fast or as long as you want to be. Training takes time, but you've got a lot of time to go before January 11th.

Thanks for the concrete suggestions, Barry! My plan is to run a 5K for Austism on May 5th to start. (19 weeks between now and then) I just hope I'm not still doing the walk/run method by then! (or at least my ratio is better!)

run when you can!!! the point is to do it and develop your muscles and heart/lung strength....

all the other is "craziness" for maximizing fat burning.... but if you run and run hard the fat will come off.....

ok one more question.

good words of wisdom... also if your doing most of your running on a rat-wheel (aka treadmill) , get out at-least once every week or so and hit the road... You have to have a feel of what different ground will feel like..

ok one more question.

I don't have a set time to run. I don't like to eat much the couple hours before I run though. Most of my long runs are done in the morning, because I need to do those on the weekend and my goal is usually to be done close to the time my family wakes up.

Worst Nemesis' Ever! :lmao:
I got to give props to anyone that can run a near 4 hour marathon in that heat.

Thanks, Barry!

Barry said it, but you just have to do the 10K before the race, not before you register. You really, really want to at least one 10k particularly one that is flat and fast. Starting in a slower corral can make for a harder race at disney.

Yes. When I registered last spring I had only one half hearted attempt at at 5k. When you register, it will ask you for an estimated finish time and proof that you can actually come close to that. "Proof" is giving them a race that you ran (at least 10k in distance) and the time you finished in. Or you can do like I did and leave that question blank.

This year, we had until November 1 to send them an email with that proof of time to get your corral placement printed on your race bib. I ran a 15k race in Milwaukee on Oct 27th, emailed my finishing time, and got a bib with corral B in it.

Tim did his qualifing race on Thanksgiving, so he missed the Nov 1 email deadline. So he just printed out the race results from his race and took it to the Runner Relations booth at the Marathon Expo. He got a "corral B" sticker to cover up the original "F" or "G" or whatever they printed on his bib.

So, long story short - you don't need to have run a 10k before registering for the half marathon.
Bingo. On Thursday it was about a 15 minute line to get my corral changed. In prior years there hasn't been any line at all to get this done

Very good advice Barry. I agree that it's really helpful to do a couple races before a disney race. Races can do interesting things to you. I really get energized when I am running in a big group of people. I had to learn how to control that adrenaline and not go too fast.

If I run it again, (and I think I was just informed that I am) I'd try to stay at OKW again. We didn't realize it at the time, but the start is very close to the resort. So close, we could have walked there. That could have meant an extra hour of sleep and a place to poop that had plenty of toilet paper. Oh- did nobody mention the tp shortage yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter