My In-laws are worse than your In-laws!

Wow, I cannot believe some of these stories!! I thought mine were bad, but they're more just detached. Well, MIL is a major drama queen who likes all attention on her, one reason there is no way in hell we'd ever take them to Disney, EVER. She has more illnesses and "conditions" than you can shake a stick at. DH is an only child and our DD8 is their only grandchild, but they haven't seen her since Feb. Granted, they live 6 hours away, but that's only 6 hours! This Christmas will be 2 years since they've been in our home, we're always expected to go there for everything, but they rarely come here. Especially now that they have their dog, or DH's little sister as I call her. OMG, their world revolves around this dog! When we did see them in Feb. it was at Kalahari, they met us there for the weekend (went one day before us, drove right past our exit to go there one day earlier to "relax" instead of stopping off to spend the night and extra day with their granddaughter), and the whole weekend all FIL did was whine about how much he missed his "little girl" and how hard it was to leave her at the kennel. Finally after a few drinks I said something like "I really hope seeing your only grandchild for the first time in months makes up for not seeing your DOG for 3 days!". The last time we were at their home I kept thinking he was talking to DD because I'd hear things like "sweetie", "I love you", etc., hope, talking to the dog! They also let the dog have the run of the house, a springer spaniel that jumps all over people and when we had to contain her to one room of the house so we could eat one meal in peace, he apologized to her her, "daddy's so sorry, but you don't have to be in here long". UGH! Wasn't even in a crate, just in a room with a gate she could see over, so she continued to watch us and whine the entire time we ate. Yeah, in no rush to go visit again soon. I just feel so bad for DD, she ADORES them and really needs to have involved grandparents in her life. They NEVER call to talk to her, ever, she only gets to talk to them if WE call and put her on the phone and that only lasts a few minutes.

It was so weird, we were at WDW last week and I posted pics on FB at least once a day if not more and the ONLY ones MIL liked or commented on were ones that had DH in them, not the cute ones of just DD. I really believe she's still living in the past and DH is her little boy and that's the only image she wants of him. She is always talking about him as a child compares anything that's going on in anyone else's childs life to him at that age. Let it go woman!! No one cares when an almost 40 year old man got his first tooth!

My MIL isn't mean/evil or crazy, but she's cornered the market on thoughtless and insensitive. The story where she told me about mothers needing their daughters is too long to get into (my own mother has been gone 12 years and I only have sons) right now. Suffice it to say, I'm sill hurt.

The shortest story happened on my birthday this year. She called the night before (my birthday was on Mother's Day this year so I assume she wanted DH and the boys to call her the next day) to say happy birthday and that she wasn't going to get me any more gifts. She and FIL decided that gift-giving should just be for the grandchildren from now on. I must say, I don't disagree with this plan. It makes perfect sense. What didn't make sense was calling me to wish me a happy birthday and announcing that I was no longer gift-worthy! Perhaps a conversation the week before or after would have been more tactful, no? I reminded DH the her birthday is coming up on Saturday. What he does with that info is his business!

--H

We got an email in March letting us know the in-laws would no longer be able to give us AAA for our anniversary (in May) because they had to make drastic budget cuts. Okayyyyyyy, no big deal, we can afford our own AAA, but then a few months later bought a $27,000 camper to take to the lake, bombarding DH with texts and pictures of it. I don't care how they spend their money, but it was such a long, weird email about how tight things were and how gifts were going to be cut out. Like I said, drama queen! They had a little camper at the lake when he was growing up and like I said, I really think she's trying to recreate those days. I think they were miffed we chose to vacation at WDW instead of spending a week in their camper with them and the dog. Never gonna happen!

My cousin oftensends me horrible MIL stories, trying to recapture the crown from my MIL (he hasn't yet). Some things he's endured...

1. His MIL told her DD (at the time, it was his fiance) at their engagement party that she "looked like a (rhymes with pike)" because she wore pants and a shirt instead of a dress.

2. Demanded her DD (the bride) get laser tattoo removal prior to the wedding to remove her Air Force tattoo. She didn't have the surgery. Instead I went online and found a makeup company that specializes in covering tats. Oooh the MIL was so angry!

3. While my cousin and new bride were on their honeymoon, his new MIL and FIL BROKE INTO THEIR HOUSE to "clean it", and rearranged all of their furniture to MIL's liking. Cousin changed the locks when they got back and reamed the old bag out good.

4. The MIL at the wedding wore this gown that looked like a Disney villain. It was a cross between Lady Tremaine, The Wicked Queen and Cruella Deville. I pulled my cousin aside and begged him not to eat any apples!

The worst thing ever about my MIL... she is an identical twin.

Scares the heck outta me every time I see them together. I think the evil is multiplying itself. DH likes to joke around with his dad and ask why he had to marry the evil twin and not the good one? :rotfl:

(The story behind that one is... Good twin had a broken nose at a young age and a small bump on her nose when she grew. Evil twin had no such bump so FIL decided to flirt with the twin without the bumpy nose. At least he had the good sense to divorce her.)

4. The MIL at the wedding wore this gown that looked like a Disney villain. It was a cross between Lady Tremaine, The Wicked Queen and Cruella Deville. I pulled my cousin aside and begged him not to eat any apples!

OOOO I should scan a pic of my MIL from my wedding. I said she could wear anything but ivory since my mom & I were wearing that color, or black. Um...she got 2 dresses -the one for the wedding was IVORY - but you had to see the purse & shoes - striped rainbow like Toucan Sam's beak...then she changed into a SHORT BLACK dress for the reception. With her garter belts lower than the dress hem...um...can you say *****-ish?!?! Is it legal for me to post her pic on here?? Now I have to go find those pics.....

My MIL on our wedding night gave us an envelope with a letter in it telling us how important s*x(wasn't sure if I could put the actual word) was and a "how to" description. She isn't really evil or anything she is just not a nice person.

My MIL on our wedding night gave us an envelope with a letter in it telling us how important s*x(wasn't sure if I could put the actual word) was and a "how to" description. She isn't really evil or anything she is just not a nice person.

OMG that's freaking hysterical! I would have peed myself reading it!

The worst thing ever about my MIL... she is an identical twin.

Scares the heck outta me every time I see them together. I think the evil is multiplying itself. DH likes to joke around with his dad and ask why he had to marry the evil twin and not the good one? :rotfl:

(The story behind that one is... Good twin had a broken nose at a young age and a small bump on her nose when she grew. Evil twin had no such bump so FIL decided to flirt with the twin without the bumpy nose. At least he had the good sense to divorce her.)

That's what he gets for basing his decision on looks. ;)

I am reading this thread and thanking God every day for my late in-laws. They were great people overall. DH & I were very fortunate.

My FIL had to move in with us because he has nothing and did absolutely nothing to prepare for old age/retirement. He is the king of the entitlement mentality and just seems to have assumed that someone will always take care of him (and I guess he was right). He also has alcohol-induced dementia, so he can't be left alone for very long. He's like a giant 3 year old in some ways.

The worst part is that he was a HORRIBLE father to DH (never paid child support, went to prision, was emotionally abusive) so it's pretty stressful having him here in the house because there is so much underlying resentment of him by both DH and me. But what could we do? We couldn't let him end up on the street.

I'm sorry made that me laugh!

Sometimes my ILs irritate me...but...WOW. This is amazing and sad all at the same time! I will never understand what posesses people to be so incredibly cruel to others.

That being said, this is also the MOST entertaining thread I've seen so far! popcorn:: I hope you are all getting a little therapy by sharing your stories!! You deserve it!

Sometimes my ILs irritate me...but...WOW. This is amazing and sad all at the same time! I will never understand what posesses people to be so incredibly cruel to others.

That being said, this is also the MOST entertaining thread I've seen so far! popcorn:: I hope you are all getting a little therapy by sharing your stories!! You deserve it!

Back in my high school days, there were two of us in the show choir that our grandmothers lived with our families. We use to do take turns telling grandma horror stories to the rest of the group. We would have them in stitches. To us they weren't always funny, but it was great therapy for us to get the fustration out. Both of us hated having to live our teen years with these women in our daily lives, but couldn't complain to our parents because there was no other options.

I don't have much issue with my MIL, the older she has gotten the more mellow she has been. She was a dozy whie planning the wedding though. It's my mom that is the MIL from hell for DH.

She's so bad, DS16 has her number in his cell phone listed not as G-ma, but wicked witch. I really tried to yell at him and tell him that wasn't nice, but I was laughing to hard at. And forget DH saying anything to him, because once he saw that, he changed it on his phone as well. Both of them, as well as DD14, all have the wicked witch music from The Wizard of Oz on their phone as her ring tone.

She's so bad, DS16 has her number in his cell phone listed not as G-ma, but wicked witch. I really tried to yell at him and tell him that wasn't nice, but I was laughing to hard at. And forget DH saying anything to him, because once he saw that, he changed it on his phone as well. Both of them, as well as DD14, all have the wicked witch music from The Wizard of Oz on their phone as her ring tone.

That is classic. I might have to steal this and get me a new ring tone :)

My FIL had to move in with us because he has nothing and did absolutely nothing to prepare for old age/retirement. He is the king of the entitlement mentality and just seems to have assumed that someone will always take care of him (and I guess he was right). He also has alcohol-induced dementia, so he can't be left alone for very long. He's like a giant 3 year old in some ways.

The worst part is that he was a HORRIBLE father to DH (never paid child support, went to prision, was emotionally abusive) so it's pretty stressful having him here in the house because there is so much underlying resentment of him by both DH and me. But what could we do? We couldn't let him end up on the street.

Why not?

i'm wondering that as well. i'm surely not taking my mother in when her financial carelessness causes her to lose her home. she has inflicted way more than enough emotional & psychological trauma and pain on my family already. she can go live with DB and SIL.

I can't resist!

1) On our wedding, the grandma of the MIL refused to come to the wedding because she thought she didn't get an invite......and no one in his family said congrats or brought a gift or did anything at all to acknowledge we were married.....(that should've been a sign for me)

2) For all grandkids, MIL would buy the combo strollers (carseat/stroller), well for dd, she just got a little nightgown. There were 2 other grandkids born that year and both were given a stroller combo and visited at the hospital. Not dd.

3) Has never once said Happy Birthday, but makes sure to call dh's ex on her birthday and send her a card...this is the woman they hated because of the things she did to dh and they didn't talk to her again till a few yrs after dh and I married.

4) Every year for Christmas, dd gets what the other nieces asked for. She never gets what is on her list, nor is asked. She is not into the same things as the other nieces so it is just a waste. MIL bought one thing for the niece and got the extra for $1.00, so that is what dd got for her b/day--the extra $1.00 thing while the niece got the $60 item and that was what she was going to buy anyway and there just happened to be a sale that day.

5) There are no pictures of me and dh in the house. Nor of dd. Only the children from his 1st marriage.

6) They go to all the other grandkids school events, have yet to go to one of dd's. Always an excuse not to attend. One year MIL was too sick to come, yet was out shopping that eveing.

7) MIL misses b/day parties, but does attend all the other grandkids parties.

8) SIL has a frame in her house, has all the nieces and nephews pictures in it.......except dd.

9) All the grandkids are invited over to spend a weekend with MIL in the summer and treated to dinner/movie......never has invited dd.

Yep......we keep a WIDE distance now!

I can't resist!

1) On our wedding, the grandma of the MIL refused to come to the wedding because she thought she didn't get an invite......and no one in his family said congrats or brought a gift or did anything at all to acknowledge we were married.....(that should've been a sign for me)

2) For all grandkids, MIL would buy the combo strollers (carseat/stroller), well for dd, she just got a little nightgown. There were 2 other grandkids born that year and both were given a stroller combo and visited at the hospital. Not dd.

3) Has never once said Happy Birthday, but makes sure to call dh's ex on her birthday and send her a card...this is the woman they hated because of the things she did to dh and they didn't talk to her again till a few yrs after dh and I married.

4) Every year for Christmas, dd gets what the other nieces asked for. She never gets what is on her list, nor is asked. She is not into the same things as the other nieces so it is just a waste. MIL bought one thing for the niece and got the extra for $1.00, so that is what dd got for her b/day--the extra $1.00 thing while the niece got the $60 item and that was what she was going to buy anyway and there just happened to be a sale that day.

5) There are no pictures of me and dh in the house. Nor of dd. Only the children from his 1st marriage.

6) They go to all the other grandkids school events, have yet to go to one of dd's. Always an excuse not to attend. One year MIL was too sick to come, yet was out shopping that eveing.

7) MIL misses b/day parties, but does attend all the other grandkids parties.

8) SIL has a frame in her house, has all the nieces and nephews pictures in it.......except dd.

9) All the grandkids are invited over to spend a weekend with MIL in the summer and treated to dinner/movie......never has invited dd.

Yep......we keep a WIDE distance now!

We might just share a MIL ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter