May 18, 2013 MAGIC EBTA - Who is with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonecrusin, there is so much to do in London! Its very easy to get around, and in central London places are a lot closer together than you might think if walking.

The Tube (London Underground) is extremely easy to navigate and a great way of getting round.

If you (or anyone else!) puts up a list of places you are interested in I'm happy to try and find discount vouchers for you to use whilst there (love getting a bargain, everyone at work uses me to find things cheaper for them!).

I don't know much about hotels as never stayed there, as I only live an hour away so travel by train.

Whilst I wouldn't like to live there, London is a fantastic city and I love visiting it - in fact I was there yesterday, albeit only for a hospital visit so didn't see anything else!

I am extremely lucky as I am a police officer, and our force gets free train travel on London Midland trains, so it doesn't cost me anything to get there. Was great in the summer, as I went and saw several free olympic events in Hyde Park.

Padalyn - sorry to hear about your flights, thats crappy. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

We are heading to Paris :goodvibes after Barcelona :goodvibes and I was wondering if anyone has used a tour company or even a private tour that is reliable and cost effective for 4 people. :confused3 It will be me, DH, DD 13 and DS 11.

We are planning to do at least one or two guided tours during our week in Paris. Here are a few companies we are considering.
http://www.newparistours.com/
http://www.paris-walks.com/private-tours.html
http://www.parismuse.com/index.shtml
http://www.parismuse.com/index.shtml

I would have a back up plan for your car or a reservation at an airport hotel just in case. Air Tran seems to never be on time arriving or departing Chicago.

REALLY????? So you are implying that we might be stuck in Chicago? That would more than suck. So, let me get this - if we do get out of Chicago, we could arrive in Hobby up to 3 hours late?

Way too much stress for me now...I was so stressed yesterday just because of Jet Blue - now this?

I finally managed to get a rental car so we can drive from home to Philadelphia to get on the first leg of the journey - this trip is becoming a trains, planes, and autos trip - I did this a couple of years ago - I really don't want to do it again...please, some reassurance would be appreciated.

Cayla

REALLY????? So you are implying that we might be stuck in Chicago? That would more than suck. So, let me get this - if we do get out of Chicago, we could arrive in Hobby up to 3 hours late?

Way too much stress for me now...I was so stressed yesterday just because of Jet Blue - now this?

Unfortunately it could happen with any airline. Are you able to take an earlier flight so there are backup flights later just in case? Any flight attendant, pilot or dispatcher could give you more scenarios than you want to hear about the possible "what-ifs" they have encountered. Not just plane maintenance, but weather (spring thunderstorms), other passenger medical emergencies, waiting on a group of connecting passengers who had weather in their area, etc - and waiting too long or a diversion could put a flight crew too long to be legal to fly, then looking for a replacement crew per FAA guidelines.

Just some of the delays I have been on as a passenger include: a man complaining of tightness in chest (diverted takeoff, return to terminal, then coerce the man off the plane... and he had previously had a heart attack and didn't want to get off yet had no clue medical care is much better at ground level versus 35,000 feet in the air), some jerk in a business suit who refused to get off his cell phone (return to terminal from end of runway and deplane the idiot who became hostile), a plane that looked nice to a flock of birds... one getting sucked up in the engine so when we landed it had to go for maintenance (that wasn't a nice smell...), a faulty light on an airplane in air (we had to turn around to DFW after already being around our destination because AA had no maintenance facility where we were landing - that 45 minute flight arrived 6 hours later... which we ended up having an emergency landing at DFW complete with fire trucks waiting on us - my first flight with my 2 year old by myself of course), a luggage bin latch that would no close correctly because a passenger used a fist to "help" it close by pounding it (so bags had to be offloaded for that bin), and don't even get me started on the Aloha Air flight that was 8 hours late to go from Maui to Kaui (and our luggage arrived over 24 hours later - that we got to drive 45 min back to LIH to pick up ourselves just sitting there in the terminal). None of these were weather related or planned delays. Those are just some of the delays I have experienced (granted out of hundreds of flights, so still a small percentage). Not to scare you, but some things that are completely unplanned can wreak havoc on a schedule. That's why I suggested considering an earlier flight if possible.

Ugh, just thinking through some of my delays - coming home from the Virgin Islands this Spring the girls and I got stranded in Miami on AA. Finally got out of there and overnighted at Orlando, but of course we arrived after every restaurant had closed. Another one of those I was thankful for whatever snacks I had stuffed in my bag. (one of those trips where it was cheaper to buy a ticket to Orlando vs Miami although the plane had a connection in Miami - that was over a 2 hour delay)

I finally managed to get a rental car so we can drive from home to Philadelphia to get on the first leg of the journey - this trip is becoming a trains, planes, and autos trip - I did this a couple of years ago - I really don't want to do it again...please, some reassurance would be appreciated.

Cayla

You're connecting through O'Hare? Are you changing planes or just stopping in Chicago? It can be a mess for connections, I don't believe you will be stuck in Chicago... too many options for that but I do think you could be delayed which could throw off your already tight schedule.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any stress. I just wanted you be prepared.

You don't have to ask her anymore now.

You can ask whatever tou want to know about the Netherlands and i'm willing to answer as much as i know myself....

Are the kids tall enough to go without carseats??
Or do you have to find a way to get them here??

My kids are small. The oldest under 50lbs. We have both height and wieght restrictions, here. Is Europe just a height restriction?

America is 65lbs. and 4'5". I tell my DD(8) that she will take her drivers test in her booster, lol.

I will have to find a way to transport them from Barcelona to Amsterdam, and then around town.

Thanks in advance for your help.:goodvibes

Getting around in Europe with small kids would be flying.
Fly from Barcelona to Amsterdam an Copenhagen.
Keep an close eye to the bagage weight restrictions, most airlines allow the max of 20kg (44 pounds) or some 23kg (50 pounds) in total not per bag.

Is it possible to take the train? I was hoping they could see some of the countryside. I would like to avoid Paris, and see the Alps. Not looking for the fastest route.

Thanks, again.
Sarah

I should have put mine that way - not meaning to cause stress. Just be prepared for whatever could happen.

I have Spirit Air booked this Spring, and I know they are not that good, but they were half the price of anyone else for our routing (international). Dreading that flight for sure.

Welcome aboard!! Which part of Oklahoma? Hubby is an OSU Cowboy, and his parents and grandmother live outside OKC. He's a transplant to Texas now. We will have our two daughters with us - one who will be almost 7 and one turning 3 the week after we disembark. Also - If you are needing a room for the four of you in Galveston, we have a group rate at the Tremont. $159 for two queens in a 500 sq ft room. I can get you the info if needed. :)
Hello!
I grew up in the Panhandle, Guymon, but we are a Sooner family now. We live just south of OKC in Norman.
My daughters are 8 and 3 with a 6yr old brother in the middle.

I had not thought about spending the night. Is that necessary?
We normally just fly in, grab the DCL bus, and roll out to the boat. (This way I only have to watch kids, rather than kids and luggage.) I am new to taking DCL out of Galveston, though. Total rookie.

I have sent Sarah a PM as well and haven't heard from her yet.

If this is the right Sarah. She's a big dork on her first forum. I just signed up under thread tools today. Otherwise, I have been scrolling through here in the mornings ere my youngest wakes up.

I am not ignoring posts, but I am not seeing all of them either. I am on the FB site if that helps. I am hoping to be better at this with practice. Thanks for your patience.

This is a big step for us, and it is so great to meet all of you in advance.:cloud9:

I am also having trouble. I finally figured out that I sent the first message to myself and not Sarah. I am still waiting for her to reply to my second message. My biggest concern is that I did something wrong again and that she didn't get the second message either. This is all new to me.

LOL! I am the wrong Sarah, so please ignore that post. I am also trying to sign my trio up for FE, so please send me a note if it works out for you.

Thanks,
SArah B.

Hello!
I grew up in the Panhandle, Guymon, but we are a Sooner family now. We live just south of OKC in Norman.
My daughters are 8 and 3 with a 6yr old brother in the middle.

I had not thought about spending the night. Is that necessary?
We normally just fly in, grab the DCL bus, and roll out to the boat. (This way I only have to watch kids, rather than kids and luggage.) I am new to taking DCL out of Galveston, though. Total rookie.

Okay, guess I'll have to forgive you for that crimson color. We drive through Norman to go visit parents/grandparents. :thumbsup2

Just make sure you take the first flight of the day if flying in the morning of the cruise. Out of 10+ cruises I have only done that once, and was still on pins and needles. My previous post on air delays might show why LOL. Plus I have had baggage lost, and if that happened for this cruise, it would not be pretty. Not much shopping along the way after boarding the ship. We just go a day earlier and eat the hotel room cost - consider it insurance and we sleep easier (nerves). It's always cool waking up early and watching the ship sail into port though - love doing that in Fort Lauderdale. :)

I booked a last-minute cruise on DCL out of Galveston this past November, but still went down the afternoon before. Luckily I just had my 2 year old with me and she's a light packer.

Cayla
Don't stress! It will all work out in the end and if it makes you feel any better, hopefully, we will be with you on that flight so we would be in the same boast (or should I say ship?)
You're connecting through O'Hare? Are you changing planes or just stopping in Chicago? It can be a mess for connections, I don't believe you will be stuck in Chicago... too many options for that but I do think you could be delayed which could throw off your already tight schedule.

If it is the flight I think it is, It is Midway, stop over with no plane change.

So I use to be a huge stresser-I stressed about everything all the time, as a kid, my stress gave me the shingles all the time. I also happen to be a very detail oriented. So fast forward, to my wedding, I had planned a huge, black-tie affair a year in advance down to every small detail. I had it planned so that there would be no chance of drinking and driving, everything (hotel, church, reception, rehersal dinner place, bridesmaid luncheon) was all within a block of each other, one block off the river. Three days before my wedding, Tropical Storm Lee rains on New York and floods the Susquehanna River causing a manatory evac of the city of Wilkes Barre, leaving me two days to plan a whole new wedding. Everyone thought I was going to lose it but instead of stressing, I went with whatever happens, happens and shocked everyone! I got married in front of family and friends and that was all that mattered. Not one of my plans worked out, the flowers couldn't be delivered, the tux shop was flooded, our priest couldn't come (he was to busy trying to save the church), the squash which our soup was supose to be served in, wasn't delivered, we did have the table clothes, chair covers, shashes we picked out but in the end it all worked out. And I can say I got married in a church with standing room only (our 150 guests had to fit into a church that sat 40) with a priest who didn't know our names.

So I am now a changed person and when I travel, I go with the flow and hope it works out and if it doesn't, I will make do.

Airtran connects at Chicago Midway, not O'Hare. I've never flown into or out of Midway, but I imagine it has fewer problems with delays than O'Hare.

To the person considering flying in the day of the cruise: DON'T! There is only one port stop between Galveston and Madeira (on Day 11 of the cruise), and that is at Castaway Cay - with no commercial airport. If you should "miss the boat" out of Galveston - you will miss over half the cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter