Marching Our Way to a Healthy Lifestyle ~ March 2016 WISH Challenge

Figures. The first time all day I have a chance to finally get in here for real, the boards are down.

QOTD - I've never done a Disney race but I've decided it's on my bucket list. I listen to parks music and Dis podcasts when I walk and when DH walks with me we talk about plans for our next trip. Our go-to crock pot meal is our version of the sweet fire chicken & jasmine rice at Sunshine Seasons st EPCOT, and occasionally we break out the Mickey waffle maker for protein waffles. Lots of Disney getting me through my day!!!

Hit another 10,000 steps today - which is good because I am WAY behind on SOOOOO many other things right now. Ugh. I spent the day working on graphics for my shop which took SO MUCH LONGER than it should have, but it's now open again and a few t-shirts have been added. I've got some other ideas but I'll wait on those for a minute. I've also got lots of other things to add but they require assembling first and I've got other things to get done first. So it's 4am now and I'm going to try to get literally a couple of hours of sleep. With my hair appt in the middle of the day I feel like that's going to be a huge derailment in my motivation and I just can't have that.

DH starts his second job tomorrow evening and is there after his first job for the rest of the week so I have to find a way to keep getting my steps in, as we probably won't do our walk in the evenings. Also need to go to the grocery store something awful.

It's woohoo Wednesday!! I love woohoo Wednesday. Bring it on, y'all.

WooHoo Wednesday, March 16th:

WooHoo Wednesday is a very special tradition that we have on these challenge threads – it’s a chance for us to take a break and celebrate our victories (big or small).

While the announcement of the Festival of Fantasy parade was exciting for Disney fans, around the same time we got some sad news, with the official confirmation that the popular parade Spectromagic was being permanently retired.

Spectro_Magic_Title_Unit.jpg

SpectroMagic was introduced as part of the Walt Disney World Resort’s 20th anniversary celebrations in 1991. This 20 minute nighttime parade featured scenes from movies such as The Little Mermaid, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, as well as a vast collection of other characters. The lights and technology used in this parade were truly phenomenal, and it quickly became a fan favorite.

Let’s shine some lights on ourselves today, and share some of our favorite magic by talking about the great things that we’re celebrating today.
It’s WooHoo Wednesday - what’s your WooHoo for today?

WooHoo Wednesday is a very special tradition that we have on these challenge threads – it’s a chance for us to take a break and celebrate our victories (big or small).

While the announcement of the Festival of Fantasy parade was exciting for Disney fans, around the same time we got some sad news, with the official confirmation that the popular parade Spectromagic was being permanently retired.

SpectroMagic was introduced as part of the Walt Disney World Resort’s 20th anniversary celebrations in 1991. This 20 minute nighttime parade featured scenes from movies such as The Little Mermaid, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, as well as a vast collection of other characters. The lights and technology used in this parade were truly phenomenal, and it quickly became a fan favorite.

Let’s shine some lights on ourselves today, and share some of our favorite magic by talking about the great things that we’re celebrating today.

My woohoo Wednesday is I am still doing good with staying within my calories a day (most of the time under) and getting in my steps. I only got 8,000 yesterday but last night we made a choice to walk up to our voting place instead of drive. It is about .5 to 1 mile away. Also, even though I have only lost a few pounds I am starting to feel the difference. YAY!!!

Well, my daily ritual in the morning for my weigh-in is that I move the scale about 2 lbs more than I was the previous day and I get on. I better not see that needle move up! Then I move it to the weight I was at the previous day and hope for the best. Today I moved it to my previous weight and the needle went smack dab in the same spot and I was pissed. I ate well yesterday and had a real good ab workout, walked 20,000 steps, and ran a mile. I would of bet my life that I would lose at least a little after a few days of minor results. Wait... I accidently moved the slide one pound less than yesterday, not at the same spot! So I did lose one pound. For about 5 seconds I was so mad - I thought it was the WooHoo Wednesday jinx again!

Getting dressed was another WooHoo. I dug out an old shirt I haven't worn in a while that was a little snug - wearable, but a bit tight. The thing is pretty baggy now. All my clothes that used to be big on me are pretty much unwearable. My smaller stuff is now big. I had to get some new jeans and khakis this past weekend. I'm a little bummed about some of the stuff I really liked being too big, but excited to get some new stuff in St. Louis at the outlets in a few weeks.

Also started with the Blue Apron meals this week. On Monday we had the Adobo-Style Chicken than both my wife and I liked. The only negative was that we didn't get the yellow onion that was supposed to be included for that recipe. Has that ever happened to you @Lady Marie? Tonight is Triple Pork Mazemen - looking forward to it.

My last WooHoo is one year from now I'll be coming off the cruise ship and going to Disney World!

Also started with the Blue Apron meals this week. On Monday we had the Adobo-Style Chicken than both my wife and I liked. The only negative was that we didn't get the yellow onion that was supposed to be included for that recipe. Has that ever happened to you @Lady Marie? Tonight is Triple Pork Mazemen - looking forward to it.

Oh wow! No, that hasn't happened to us before. However, we requested that meal this week as well, but DH put it all away before I got home so I didn't get to inspect. I'm going to have to go check the fridge now when I get home to see if we are missing an onion too. I do see that they are using lemon in the gnocchi dish though. If you got that and they have you put the whole lemon in (I'm not sure if they do-- I haven't read through the recipe yet), I recommend cutting back and tasting it after each wedge you add before adding more. Especially with pasta -- it seems to soak up the flavor fast and can go from delicious to bitter overkill so quick. I don't know why they recommend so much lemon juice after putting in lemon zest too in a lot of the recipes. Anyway, that's just our take -- You may LOVE lemons!

-----------------------------------------------
As for me, I've been MIA because I've been so busy at work. We are down one person at work this week so my Dis breaks are nonexistent and I just collapse at home after work (last night not getting home til 9:30 and ordered take out :crazy2:... I've got some work to do to make sure my weigh in doesn't reflect that!). All of this which is not a woohoo, did however facilitate an extra job/over time bonus this week though. So I am woohooing working harder and making more money for our trip!!!

Sorry, playing catch up here:

This Week’s Challenge:
Love to cook? What’s your “prettiest” healthy meal? Make that dish this week, and show us a picture of a healthy meal that looks as good as it tastes. If you can, make that healthy meal for yourself this week – eating healthy can be so much easier when the food looks and tastes delicious. Please feel free to share the recipe with us too!
Not much of a chef? Please post a picture (and recipe) of a healthy dish that you truly enjoy eating – whether it’s something made by a family member, a favorite restaurant dish, or your secret healthy Disney food obsession! Just make sure to tell us about the special healthy dish you ate this week!

IMG_3970.jpg

Okay, so it's not very pretty (well, maybe the purple in the onion), but the plate is cute :)
I have really been enjoying this really simple dish recently. It's just mushrooms and onions sautéed in butter. Sometimes I add some salt and pepper after and sometimes the butter flavors it enough. I don't usually think of butter as healthy, but it was allowed in the whole 30 I did in January so I guess i

What did you do this week to make yourself better?
Is there anything that you could have done this week but did not do? How will you ensure that you spend the next week making yourself better?

I ran and worked on getting myself into a good sleep schedule.
Oh, there is so much I could do better. I am trying to make little improvements each day and form good habits. This week I am trying to cook more and keep up with my exercises.

What do you do to make yourself feel like a princess or prince? How do you reward yourself when you reach milestones or want to celebrate progress towards your goal? Do you have an “ultimate reward” in mind for when you reach your goal weight?
I'm not sure if there is anything I do really. I try to share milestones with others to celebrate. I think when I reach my goal weight I will get some really nice new clothes.
Have you ever participated in a runDisney event? Have you tried cooking a healthy version of your favorite Disney recipe? Do you listen to Disney music while exercising?
How do you incorporate Disney into your healthy lifestyle?
No, but I really hope to one day. I sometimes listen to fast paced disney music when I run, but recently I've been listening to Disney related podcasts. I also have some disney related workout gear. My favorite would be my orange "hakuna matata" tank

And my woohoo for the week: I completed a 21 day arm challenge from pinterest. Feeling good and a little sore :)

I'll be honest, I'm not feeling all that woohooy. I'm feeling groggy this morning from the pain meds I took last night and because they are T3s I can't work with them so I get to be in pain all day. I guess I have been doing well with my eating and have lost the pound and a half I gained from it being that time of the month. So I guess that's good.

Not much to personally WooHoo here. I'm doing ok with my exercise routine but I'm having trouble with my diet. I'm not sure I'll meet 5lb goal for this month. :(

That being said it is still WhooHoo Wednesday and I believe in celebrating the small victories. So, my WhooHoo for this week is going to be that DD2 is doing amazing with potty training. She just started wearing big girl panties during the day and we haven't had a accident in over a week!

Getting dressed was another WooHoo. I dug out an old shirt I haven't worn in a while that was a little snug - wearable, but a bit tight. The thing is pretty baggy now. All my clothes that used to be big on me are pretty much unwearable. My smaller stuff is now big. I had to get some new jeans and khakis this past weekend. I'm a little bummed about some of the stuff I really liked being too big, but excited to get some new stuff in St. Louis at the outlets in a few weeks.

It's an expensive woohoo but so worth it! Congrats on seeing your tight/smaller stuff becoming too big. You may want to start going through your closet and pull aside the stuff that is too big and bag it up for charity - and then start wearing the stuff that is 'not so too big' until you can get to the outlets. I had to do an entire wardrobe refresh at about half way to my goal and i was so sad that I shrunk past the clothes - so don't get too many things you like in St Louis ;)

I'm excited to keep reading about your progress. You're going to reach that goal in no time at all!

So I am woohooing working harder and making more money for our trip!!!
I am excited for your trip too! Tokyo Disney and Disneyland? YEAH! What are your exact dates at Disneyland? I know in April they're doing the Food and Wine thing at California Adventure and that seems right up your alley.

And my woohoo for the week: I completed a 21 day arm challenge from pinterest. Feeling good and a little sore :)
Can you post that for us? I'm interested to see what this is... and congrats on finishing. That soreness you're feeling is your muscles telling you YOU ARE AWESOME :D

'll be honest, I'm not feeling all that woohooy.
::hugs:: it is still early in the day and I hope that things turn around for you by the end of the day so that you can smile. Or you can celebrate going to bed and know that tomorrow is another day and you can try again.

I'm doing ok with my exercise routine but I'm having trouble with my diet. I'm not sure I'll meet 5lb goal for this month. :(
Anything we can do to help motivate you? You have 2.5 weeks in the month left - so plenty of time to get at least 2-3 pounds of your goal met. What can we do to help you save the month?

I have two small victories - one personal and one related to healthy life styles.

Personal:
I ordered my graduation stuff today - cap, gown, and hood (it was about $150 - ouch!) I'm intrigued to see what the color "drab" looks like for the hood - Google says it's a light beige. :rotfl:
Healthy Life Style:
I've noticed big changes in my muscles and recovery time. I had limited soreness after my half this weekend and yesterday was a big leg day at the gym and yet I have no soreness this morning. Things that I couldn't do a week ago are now able to be accomplished, such as holding myself up on this crazy ab machine that looks like a jet pack. Each day I work to better myself.... I see myself getting stronger and improving. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you stick to your goals and have a plan in mind.

I'm running a 5K and Half Marathon this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) in Dallas. I'm trying to get that 40 minute 5K and a 3:12 Half finish time. I'll keep you all posted as to what I get! :)

Woohoo Wednesday! I am happy to Woohoo at the fact that I went to trampoline class yesterday for the first time in three weeks.

I'm woohoo-ing that my new fitbit came today. I had to replace my flex earlier in the month when it unexpectedly stopped working. I got the charge HR, thinking I'd really like all the features but found out right away that I didn't love its size. I circled the 30 day return time frame date on my calendar and gave myself a few weeks to see if I learned to love it.

Meanwhile, Fitbit released its newest tracker, the Alta, this week. It's like flex 2.0. It has a screen and is a little more fancy than the flex, but has a similar design.

I never really got used to the size of the Charge, so I ordered the Alta.

It's here and I love it. The Charge HR is going back to Target.

WooHoo!

@mamattorney Glad to hear you like the Alta! DH is thinking about getting that to replace his Charge HR too. He's had it about a year and suddenly the band made a bubble and lifted from the mechanism. He was out of warranty so he's out of luck. And then today it just went crazy vibrating all over the place. So now he is definitely looking into the Alta as a replacement.

I am excited for your trip too! Tokyo Disney and Disneyland? YEAH! What are your exact dates at Disneyland? I know in April they're doing the Food and Wine thing at California Adventure and that seems right up your alley.

We leave Tokyo on Sunday and get to LA on Saturday night-- how funny is that?! That's one of the reason's I'm able to squeeze in the trip since I am gaining a day LOL Anyway, we arrive Saturday 4/23 probably around 8pm by the time we get the shuttle and all so I'm just going to play it by ear that night and maybe explore DT. Then we will be in the parks 4/24 and 4/25. I got park hoppers but I'm thinking I will dedicate the majority of each day to just one park and hop as an after thought if we want. I'm definitely going to have to look up the dates of the festival. With all the planning in so little time, I've just been researching basics-- I don't even have a plan for 60th stuff or festivals! *googling right now!*

With all the planning in so little time, I've just been researching basics-- I don't even have a plan for 60th stuff or festivals! *googling right now!*

Let me know if you'll need help planning. We'll be there the 23rd and/or the 24th for my husband's birthday. Lots of fun to be had for sure!!!

QOTD - I've never done a Disney race but I've decided it's on my bucket list. I listen to parks music and Dis podcasts when I walk and when DH walks with me we talk about plans for our next trip. Our go-to crock pot meal is our version of the sweet fire chicken & jasmine rice at Sunshine Seasons st EPCOT, and occasionally we break out the Mickey waffle maker for protein waffles. Lots of Disney getting me through my day!!!

Yay! So much awesome Disney - that's the best way to make your day magical.

Hit another 10,000 steps today - which is good because I am WAY behind on SOOOOO many other things right now. Ugh. I spent the day working on graphics for my shop which took SO MUCH LONGER than it should have, but it's now open again and a few t-shirts have been added. I've got some other ideas but I'll wait on those for a minute. I've also got lots of other things to add but they require assembling first and I've got other things to get done first. So it's 4am now and I'm going to try to get literally a couple of hours of sleep. With my hair appt in the middle of the day I feel like that's going to be a huge derailment in my motivation and I just can't have that.

Yay for another 10,000 step day! And I looked at the shop - you have some really awesome stuff on there!

I had to take something to the mailbox (which is about two blocks away) and I decided to take the "long way" home (adds an extra block). But then I decided to walk past my street and go up a different street a few blocks down then come around for some extra exercise. But I was focused on my music and missed that turn.
Basically, what started out as a 5-10 minute trip to the mailbox ended up as a 25 minute walk in beautiful weather. It was so nice to get out, enjoy the weather, and just walk!

The rest of the day, on the other hand ... not so WooHoo. And I want ice cream. So frustrating.

My woohoo Wednesday is I am still doing good with staying within my calories a day (most of the time under) and getting in my steps. I only got 8,000 yesterday but last night we made a choice to walk up to our voting place instead of drive. It is about .5 to 1 mile away. Also, even though I have only lost a few pounds I am starting to feel the difference. YAY!!!

Lots of WooHoo!!
And it's awesome that you're starting to feel the difference already - that means you're doing something right!

Well, my daily ritual in the morning for my weigh-in is that I move the scale about 2 lbs more than I was the previous day and I get on. I better not see that needle move up! Then I move it to the weight I was at the previous day and hope for the best. Today I moved it to my previous weight and the needle went smack dab in the same spot and I was pissed. I ate well yesterday and had a real good ab workout, walked 20,000 steps, and ran a mile. I would of bet my life that I would lose at least a little after a few days of minor results. Wait... I accidently moved the slide one pound less than yesterday, not at the same spot! So I did lose one pound. For about 5 seconds I was so mad - I thought it was the WooHoo Wednesday jinx again!

WooHoo for being down 1 lb (and escaping the jinx)!

It's always nice when you can see the difference in your clothing!

My last WooHoo is one year from now I'll be coming off the cruise ship and going to Disney World!

That is the best WooHoo ever. 1 year to Disney time!!

As for me, I've been MIA because I've been so busy at work. We are down one person at work this week so my Dis breaks are nonexistent and I just collapse at home after work (last night not getting home til 9:30 and ordered take out :crazy2:... I've got some work to do to make sure my weigh in doesn't reflect that!). All of this which is not a woohoo, did however facilitate an extra job/over time bonus this week though. So I am woohooing working harder and making more money for our trip!!!

Sorry to hear that you're working so hard, but more money for Disney is always an awesome thing!

Okay, so it's not very pretty (well, maybe the purple in the onion), but the plate is cute :)

I think it looks nice. And that plate is awesome!

I ran and worked on getting myself into a good sleep schedule.
Oh, there is so much I could do better. I am trying to make little improvements each day and form good habits. This week I am trying to cook more and keep up with my exercises.

Working on small improvements is an awesome idea - take it one step at a time and it makes things much easier!

I'm not sure if there is anything I do really. I try to share milestones with others to celebrate. I think when I reach my goal weight I will get some really nice new clothes.

Nice new clothes are always a great way to reward yourself!

No, but I really hope to one day. I sometimes listen to fast paced disney music when I run, but recently I've been listening to Disney related podcasts. I also have some disney related workout gear. My favorite would be my orange "hakuna matata" tank

Disney podcasts are definitely a great way to get some Disney into your day. And I love that you have Disney-related workout gear!

WooHoo!! Congrats!

---

Once again I'm behind on replies and don't have enough time to catch up. I really love that we're so active with the chatting this week, but really ... it doesn't work well with my laziness :)
I'll be back later to finish reading through everything - so keep those WooHoos coming!

Good afternoon. I know I have been missing the last couple of days. I am on spring break and it has given me too much time to think.

We had three great shows of the Music Man this weekend and then I was going to be off from teaching college and working on costumes until brush up on Thursday night. On Monday I had a melt down. With everything that has gone on in the last month with my mother in law and getting the show running I think everything hit the fan. I was near or in tears the entire day. I realized that a lot of has to do with my sister in laws and holidays. I have been the main person who has cooked for the last 10 years. I have even gone as far as cooking everything at my house (my mil had no stove(don't ask it is a long story)) and bringing it 40 minutes to inlaws house. My sister in laws DON'T entertain so everything has fallen on me in the last 10 years. I don't want to do Easter because I have already done Thanksgiving and Christmas (not to mention set up and take down mil's tree) I am at a loss. We have been married almost 38 years and we have never spent Easter at our house for dinner and I really don't know what to do. I will figure it out but thanks for listening. (Dh has heard me and he has told me that he doesn't want all the family entertaining to be pushed on to me)

Tues I was a little better and we went to see Zootopia at the movies. I spent the evening sewing. Today I went grocery shopping, made Irish Soda Bread and Corned Beef and cabbage for dinner. SO I am feeling better. Tomorrow morning I am going to quilt some things and get those out of the way.

My have been putting everything into Sparkpeople and have been in my calorie range every day this month except Sunday. It is the only day I have missed since I started on Feb 1st. Not bad.

Off to get some things done.

Thanks for listening.

Anything we can do to help motivate you? You have 2.5 weeks in the month left - so plenty of time to get at least 2-3 pounds of your goal met. What can we do to help you save the month?

Thanks for the encouragement. Based on past experiences with WW it always takes me a few days to get into a good rhythm and to stick to my points. I'm not giving up and hopefully I will drop a few pounds. This is the start of a healthier me! If I miss my goal this month I will just have to hit it that much harder in April.

I think posting here is helping. I know my family will support me but I've decided not to announce that I'm trying to lose weight. The last time I did they tried to "help" and it put a lot of pressure on me.

By posting here I feel like I am being held accountable and have support with out the constant pressure and judgment.

Thank you everyone!

Thanks for the encouragement. Based on past experiences with WW it always takes me a few days to get into a good rhythm and to stick to my points. I'm not giving up and hopefully I will drop a few pounds. This is the start of a healthier me! If I miss my goal this month I will just have to hit it that much harder in April.

I think posting here is helping. I know my family will support me but I've decided not to announce that I'm trying to lose weight. The last time I did they tried to "help" and it put a lot of pressure on me.

By posting here I feel like I am being held accountable and have support with out the constant pressure and judgment.

Thank you everyone!

Yes, for me this group here is perfect for keeping me accountable without putting any stress on me! I am happy that you found us and find us helpful!

My woohoo for the day:

1) I just finished typing up 3 days for my trip report from this past summer. Soon the next summer will start, so I need to get the trip report finished!
2) I had my pretty dinner for our weekly challenge! It was pretty and tasty! And low in calories! @SarahDisney I think those challenges are really great and a lot of fun, I love seeing everyone's pictures.

So, here is my pretty dinner:

IMG_1961.jpg

It is roasted veggies (zucchini, red pepper, carrots, purple sweet potato), tossed with some vegetable oil, salt and some herbs. I had them with a dip made from a German dairy product called Quark mixed with some garden cress. And in the background you can see my lovely "Romance in Paris" Minnie and Mickey placemat from Disneyland Paris. So, there is even some Disney in the picture!

Quark is wonderful stuff. It comes in three levels of fat, but the skimmed quark is very very low fat and very high in protein. We consider it a cheese, but it is not cheesy at all. Kind of a cross between cottage cheese and greek yoghurt I would say. It is delicious with a spoon of jam mixed into it, you can put in on bread with some salt and pepper on top, or it makes great dips! And you use it to make German cheese cake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter