Marching Our Way to a Healthy Lifestyle ~ March 2016 WISH Challenge

Question of the Day – Tuesday, March 15th:

Festival-of-Fantasy-Parade-Ariel-Little-Mermaid-Float-1.jpg

One of the colorful floats included in the Festival of Fantasy Parade honors the 1989 Disney film The Little Mermaid.
The Little Mermaid was the theme of this year’s runDisney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, held in February 2016. I know that we have a number of runDisney runners here, and those of us who participate in these events really appreciate the opportunity to combine our love of running and love of Disney.

Have you ever participated in a runDisney event? Have you tried cooking a healthy version of your favorite Disney recipe? Do you listen to Disney music while exercising?
How do you incorporate Disney into your healthy lifestyle?

One of the colorful floats included in the Festival of Fantasy Parade honors the 1989 Disney film The Little Mermaid.
The Little Mermaid was the theme of this year’s runDisney Princess Half Marathon Weekend, held in February 2016. I know that we have a number of runDisney runners here, and those of us who participate in these events really appreciate the opportunity to combine our love of running and love of Disney.

Have you ever participated in a runDisney event? Have you tried cooking a healthy version of your favorite Disney recipe? Do you listen to Disney music while exercising?

Never participated in an official runDisney event (although I know many, many who have), DD and I are currently doing our own "walk to the castle" challenge! I also try to occasionally make a healthier Disney treat.... cinnamon roll bread pudding from Goofy's Kitchen comes to mind first (although it is nearly impossible to make that "light), the couscous salad at the Moroccan QS in Epcot, and I have bought the occasional smoked turkey leg for the grill... but it's not the same.

I have SEVERAL different Disney songs on my exercise playlist.... and the ONLY music I tend to listen to in the kitchen when I am cooking and cleaning is Disney.... either on Pandora or my CDs... I have the DL 50th anniversary 2 disc set and I have been listening to that more and more lately to get me pumped up for my September trip (as if I needed something to get me MORE excited!).

Off to work friends.... school and then WW tonight, so don't count on hearing from me today! Sorry.............P

I think Disney and healthy living can be a great combo. I think it is well established I have enjoyed a few runDisney events:) RunDisney is what first motivated me to start running. Since then I have done the Glass Slipper Challenge three times, and added in the Princess 5k two of those times. I have also done the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet Challenge and the Avengers 5k once as well. I have decided I want to get a little more local with my running this year, and do not expect to return to runDisney until either 2017 or possibly 2018. I will miss it, but I haven't been a fan of some of the changes they have been making, and I feel like the already outrageous registration fees are just getting inappropriately high for the changes I've seen to the races such as less characters on course. That said, I still think they are a great experience, and I will likely be back in a year or two. I was considering next years Star Wars race, but I realized it comes at the end of Easter week, and that just doesn't seem like a good vacation value, as I always combine the races with a family vacation. So I am not sure what I will go with.

As for Disney Dining, I love to cook, and I love eating out at Disney. I have two Disney cookbooks, one so old it has recipes from the old restaurant at the top of the contemporary, the was there prior to California Grill. I also have a newer one, but I think it will soon be time for another. I like to make the recipes but lighten them up as possible. My favorite Disney dishes I make frequently are the steak with ginger sauce from the Japanese restaurant Teppan Edo, and a seared tuna dish from Flying Fish that is no longer on the menu at the restaurant but is at my house:) There are a few others I haven't gotten a recipe for, but have tried on my own. My favorite desert to make is a Chocolate Grand Marnier Souffle from Victoria and Alberts, but that is a rare treat.

I do not listen to Disney music while exercising, I find it not a great beat for running. I need fast beats to match my cadence which I have been working hard on at the suggestion of my physical therapist. Having a high cadence protects runners from injury. I have tried a few different songs, but it has never worked out well.

The motivation to have the energy to get through a long day at Disney (and to not be horrified by my appearance in pictures) is a great way to incorporate Disney into my healthy lifestyle. I can look at the pictures from my when my son was young, and not only am I overweight, but I look tired. I can then look at the pictures from my when I got my act together when my daughter was 1.5 (and ever since:)) and I look fit, strong and energetic. Post Glass Slipper Challenge last month, I have entered my longest expected break for trips to Disney. I had an AP from September 1993 until April 2015, and went multiple times each year. Now I don't have any definite plans on returning until June 2017 for a wedding. So I am going to need to look for some new motivation for the next year!

I love this question!! I have not participated in a runDisney event as I am not yet a runner. I would love to though at some point! Maybe as part of my bucket list! It's funny that you mention Disney recipes. As I was getting ready this morning, in my closet I saw two of my Disney cookbooks and I thought to myself, I should page through those and see what I can make that would be healthy and Disney! My favorite Disney song to listen to while working out is "I'll Make A Man Out of You" from Mulan, it's a classic!

Truly, I want to thank Disney for being a big part of my healthy journey. A big part of my motivation for doing all of this is so I can go on a Disney vacation without feeling any foot/leg/back pain due to my weight. Disney vacations are the highlight of my life but there's always that pesky foot pain or thigh chafing that wear me out to the point that I want to return to my resort and rest when I could be having fun in the parks. I want it to be easier/effortless for me to run around Disney.

Great Question! I'm not a runner, so no events for me. But I did "walk to Disney" in the past year - over 1,100 miles that I kept track of week by week (with the help of my fitbit) until I had stepped out my front door and eventually through the gates of magic kingdom. It took me over 7 months, but it was a pretty cool project/challenge. I also have used my upcoming days at Disney for motivation to keep going with this lifestyle change. Like @chasingthtdream08, I am looking forward to experiencing disney in a different way this trip. I'm going in June, so it's going to be crazy, nightmarishly hot and humid regardless of my weight, but hopefully my feet won't swell or hurt as badly at the end of the day as they did last year.

This week I am focused on drinking more water and taking in less salt (I bought a bag of rice chips last week, which is something I don't normally eat). I have a streak of 14 10,000+ step days going, but haven't been hitting my 15,000 per day goal. With the time change yesterday, the extra hour of day light after I get home will be very helpful, provided the weather settles down... we are having a very wet and stormy spring.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really incorporated Disney into my healthy life style. The closest I have gotten has been "I will lose some of this weight before I go back so i look better in pictures. It didn't work for our last trip. I was doing really good and was on par to losing the 20 pounds before the trip then I was hurt in an accident and gained the 10 pounds back that I lost. Word of advise. Do not drive and talk on the phone. The girl that hit us was talking on her phone and did not see that we stopped. I don't think I will get to my goal of losing 20 pounds before our next trip but I think i will be close.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Somehow I did not have a great start to the week. I managed to get an infection in my ear on Sunday that is very painful. Had to go and see my doctor yesterday who told me that it was not dangerous, just painful. But somehow that made me feel very low Sunday and Monday. So, still no running and eating wasn't too great either. Arg!! The scale was wonderful on Sunday (down a pound from Saturday) but now is going up again. But I can tell that this is water fluctuation. My hands feel all puffy.

Never done anything runDisney. My sister and I thought about the new DLP event. But neither of us wants to run a half marathon and a 5k just does not seem to be worth the effort. Also, 2016 is not a good year at all for visiting DLP as so many attractions are closed for refurbishment. We are thinking about doing it another year. The other day I was joking about that we should plan to run the Princess Half Marathon in 2019 together. But realistically, it seems such a waste of money and vacation time to go all the way across the Atlantic for a race. The only good thing would be that jet lag should help us with having to get up so horribly early for the race!!

I don't listen to Disney music, but I listen to Disney podcasts when I am exercising. I am not a music person at all. My sister allways made fun of me because my LP colletion was three LPs, all them gifts from friends... But I love to listen to other people talking. I used to listen to other podcasts, but now I am exclusively listening the DIS Unplugged family of podcasts. They seem to produce enough content to keep me happy. And I also listen to a British radio soap opera (they make the program available as a podcast after it has aired), so there is some more spoken word. One thing I found out though is that I cannot listen to audiobooks, I need the conversation to keep my concentration.

No to all of the above. To be honest, I hate running - I'm large chested with a small frame and running is a PITA for me. I wish I could get into it though.

:offtopic:I also haven't been to Disney in nearly 10 years, back when I was in high school. I actually join DIS because I have a friend and her 2 boys from overseas coming to the US and I decided to plan a trip to Orlando. I knew Disney had changed a lot since I'd last been and I needed to read up on everything in order to plan the best trip ever for them. From there I got hooked on TRs and PTRs and then decided to make an account at start my own PTR. But I've really liked the community here and even though I'm not Disney-obsessed, you all make me even more excited about my upcoming trip!

With all that backstory... I cannot remember any Disney food apart from the Mickey waffles (oops:duck:but I can't wait to try a Dole Whip) so no recipes attempted. I also don't listen to Disney music while exercising as I tend to watch Netflix instead. But if I'm doing weights, I can't think of a single Disney song that's fast paced enough - maybe Friend Like Me? or Let it Go (but I'm a huge Idina Menzel fan anyway)?

Have you ever participated in a runDisney event?

My first race was in 2009 at the Mickey Main St USA 5K. They had no corrals and I think only a thousand or so people signed up. They just sort of had you all line up and go down the shoot - similar to what a local 5K race would have you do. The finish line was right on main street - they handed you a bottle of gatorade and a banana and sent you out of the park. I think theme park admission was included but we were APs so we didn't think about it.

Look at those low bib numbers! Look at those terrible medals! :rotfl:

1936124_571540581130_4510600_n.jpg
1936124_571540576140_7535763_n.jpg

Suffice to say, we took a few years off and did the races last year to restart fitness. The Disneyland 5K last year was the first runDisney race in nearly 6 years - and now we're ready to go for the Tink 10K, and Avengers 10K this year. Next year will be our first races doing the Challenge - YEAH! We have Star Wars Dark, Star Wars Rebel, Glass Slipper and Tink planned for next year.

Have you tried cooking a healthy version of your favorite Disney recipe?

I burn water - so no cooking for me. I'll leave the cake pops and yummies to Disneyland.

Do you listen to Disney music while exercising?

Nothing pumps me up on race morning like "I'll Make a Man Out of You!" The song makes me feel like I'm getting ready to take on the huns myself. And Donny Osmond's voice never fails to make me happy.

Hubs and I do a weekly date to Disneyland and we use it as our "long walk" for the week. We try to get at least 10,000 steps just at the park. We have a healthy dinner and on the way out we get our cake pop treat for a job well done. We're heading there on Thursday for date night in fact!

Weekly date night at Disneyland? Wow! Color me jealous! :love:

Yeah - we live close to Disneyland and try to go as often as possible!

But with the over crowding, price increases, and construction on Star Wars land we may not renew our passes and just get the Disney World pass this year when we're up for renewal. I'm hoping that is not the case and things settle down a little bit once the So Cal Resident ticket offer concludes -- I'm sad just thinking about the possibility.

As some of you know, I've done a few runDisney events (and loved them), and I really hope that I have the opportunity to continue participating in runDisney events in the future. runDisney is what got me to stick with running (I had started and stopped a few times in the past), and having the opportunity to "reward" myself at the end of a training cycle by running through a mostly empty Epcot is pretty special. Plus, I love stopping for characters during races - it breaks
I'm not a big Disney food person, so I've never really tried to "healthy up" one of the recipes. I do make Mickey Mouse waffles occasionally, but we use a standard not-particularly-healthy recipe, so I don't know if that counts.
In terms of music ... I do have a Disney playlist that I occasionally use for running, but only on days when I'm not particularly in the mood for high-energy music (it happens sometimes). I actually really like to listen to it when I'm taking more casual walks ... Disney music can be very relaxing sometimes.

Never participated in an official runDisney event (although I know many, many who have), DD and I are currently doing our own "walk to the castle" challenge! I also try to occasionally make a healthier Disney treat.... cinnamon roll bread pudding from Goofy's Kitchen comes to mind first (although it is nearly impossible to make that "light), the couscous salad at the Moroccan QS in Epcot, and I have bought the occasional smoked turkey leg for the grill... but it's not the same.

I love the idea of a "walk to the castle" challenge. That's such an awesome motivation to go out there and get some walking in!
And I love that you try to make healthy Disney treats (although some of them definitely are a little hard to replicate in a "healthy" version).

I have SEVERAL different Disney songs on my exercise playlist.... and the ONLY music I tend to listen to in the kitchen when I am cooking and cleaning is Disney.... either on Pandora or my CDs... I have the DL 50th anniversary 2 disc set and I have been listening to that more and more lately to get me pumped up for my September trip (as if I needed something to get me MORE excited!).

Disney music is pretty awesome ... and always appropriate for cooking and cleaning (especially because certain princesses tend to do a lot of that...)!

I think Disney and healthy living can be a great combo. I think it is well established I have enjoyed a few runDisney events:) RunDisney is what first motivated me to start running. Since then I have done the Glass Slipper Challenge three times, and added in the Princess 5k two of those times. I have also done the Avengers Infinity Gauntlet Challenge and the Avengers 5k once as well. I have decided I want to get a little more local with my running this year, and do not expect to return to runDisney until either 2017 or possibly 2018. I will miss it, but I haven't been a fan of some of the changes they have been making, and I feel like the already outrageous registration fees are just getting inappropriately high for the changes I've seen to the races such as less characters on course. That said, I still think they are a great experience, and I will likely be back in a year or two. I was considering next years Star Wars race, but I realized it comes at the end of Easter week, and that just doesn't seem like a good vacation value, as I always combine the races with a family vacation. So I am not sure what I will go with.

I think runDisney is definitely going through some changes right now, but hopefully soon they'll figure everything out and be better than ever. But even with the changes ... I agree that it's still a great experience, and I hope you do make your way back to runDisney in a few years!

I do not listen to Disney music while exercising, I find it not a great beat for running. I need fast beats to match my cadence which I have been working hard on at the suggestion of my physical therapist. Having a high cadence protects runners from injury. I have tried a few different songs, but it has never worked out well.

I definitely get that - there aren't really a lot of Disney songs with a fast tempo (unless you're going into dance remixes, and even then there aren't so many).

The motivation to have the energy to get through a long day at Disney (and to not be horrified by my appearance in pictures) is a great way to incorporate Disney into my healthy lifestyle. I can look at the pictures from my when my son was young, and not only am I overweight, but I look tired. I can then look at the pictures from my when I got my act together when my daughter was 1.5 (and ever since:)) and I look fit, strong and energetic. Post Glass Slipper Challenge last month, I have entered my longest expected break for trips to Disney. I had an AP from September 1993 until April 2015, and went multiple times each year. Now I don't have any definite plans on returning until June 2017 for a wedding. So I am going to need to look for some new motivation for the next year!

Disney does have contests giving away free trips occasionally ... you never know when you will win one of those contests and get an unexpected trip to Disney! How's that for motivation?

I love this question!! I have not participated in a runDisney event as I am not yet a runner. I would love to though at some point! Maybe as part of my bucket list! It's funny that you mention Disney recipes. As I was getting ready this morning, in my closet I saw two of my Disney cookbooks and I thought to myself, I should page through those and see what I can make that would be healthy and Disney! My favorite Disney song to listen to while working out is "I'll Make A Man Out of You" from Mulan, it's a classic!

You can do a runDisney even without being a runner - they're very walker-friendly!
And I love that you were already thinking about a Disney recipe - that's always a great way to brighten your day.

Truly, I want to thank Disney for being a big part of my healthy journey. A big part of my motivation for doing all of this is so I can go on a Disney vacation without feeling any foot/leg/back pain due to my weight. Disney vacations are the highlight of my life but there's always that pesky foot pain or thigh chafing that wear me out to the point that I want to return to my resort and rest when I could be having fun in the parks. I want it to be easier/effortless for me to run around Disney.

Disney is such an awesome motivation, and I'm really glad that you're taking steps to make your trips to Disney more enjoyable!

Great Question! I'm not a runner, so no events for me. But I did "walk to Disney" in the past year - over 1,100 miles that I kept track of week by week (with the help of my fitbit) until I had stepped out my front door and eventually through the gates of magic kingdom. It took me over 7 months, but it was a pretty cool project/challenge. I also have used my upcoming days at Disney for motivation to keep going with this lifestyle change. Like @chasingthtdream08, I am looking forward to experiencing disney in a different way this trip. I'm going in June, so it's going to be crazy, nightmarishly hot and humid regardless of my weight, but hopefully my feet won't swell or hurt as badly at the end of the day as they did last year.

Awesome job walking to Disney - that's a great way to get in some walking!
I really hope that you can feel much better on your trip and see how the changes you've made in your life have made trips to Disney a little more comfortable!

I haven't really incorporated Disney into my healthy life style. The closest I have gotten has been "I will lose some of this weight before I go back so i look better in pictures. It didn't work for our last trip. I was doing really good and was on par to losing the 20 pounds before the trip then I was hurt in an accident and gained the 10 pounds back that I lost. Word of advise. Do not drive and talk on the phone. The girl that hit us was talking on her phone and did not see that we stopped. I don't think I will get to my goal of losing 20 pounds before our next trip but I think i will be close.

I think that wanting to lose weight before a trip is a great motivation, and even if you don't reach your goal before the trip, you're taking steps in the right direction!
And yeah ... people who talk on the phone while driving bother me so much. There are enough distractions on the road that you can't control - don't start adding avoidable distractions. I'm sorry to hear that you were affected by this girl's poor decision.

---

Okay, time for me to get away from the DIS and get some work done. I'll be back later to finish replies and check in!

Hey friends! I managed to find a free computer while my class is actually at Computer class, so I'm popping on to say hello!

I was curious to see what my Fitbit recorded for sleep last night.... I know I was a bit restless.... a little cold and just couldn't seem to settle down properly.... but I didn't know it was as bad as the Fitbit seems to think it was!! It recorded that I went to bed at 9:57 pm and got up at 6:09 am (just about right), but that I only got an actual 4 hours of sleep during that time! The rest of it recorded as "restless" or "awake"!! Yikes.... no wonder I was VERY deeply asleep when I got the call to work at 6 am! Usually I am awake by 5:30 or 5:45 without an alarm clock!

My Fitbit stopped recorded/displaying my sleep about 10 days ago... right after I had reset the sensitivity down to "sensitive" from normal. So I moved it back to normal and it looks like it loaded all of those missing days/nights of sleep.... but YIKES.... it shows that I am IN bed for about 8 hours most nights, but only asleep for half of that time or less!! What's wrong with me? I would have told you that I normally sleep pretty well! NO WONDER the scale wasn't kind last week! Add to that the new WW job I have that occasionally has a 4 or 5 am shift and wowza.... I wanna drink coffee just THINKING about it!

Aiming for MORE water and MORE REAL sleep for the rest of the week.... that means making sure I am comfortable (warm enough, etc) and eliminate ALL of the light (I was up during the night last night covering up the charger for my Ipad as it was creating too much light). No caffeine after noon (although that is pretty much the norm) and I'll watch my evening eating, in case that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

Off to have a bathroom break before my class gets back!.............P

ok I am so disappointed yet again we've run into an obstacle with getting a loan.. this time it's because our park doesn't offer a 30 year lease , for Maine State housing if you have a 30 year loan which is what you must have for a brand new mobile you must also have a 30 year lease - our park only does 5 year ones! so I told the mortgage lady to run our credit and let me know what we could do for a stick built loan with Maine State housing. so we will see.. I also have been in touch with a local place about modular homes (I don't really know what the difference is between modular and mobile maybe its just a fancier name for the same thing) but I found a plan I liked, got a quote then the girl was SUPER helpful and gave me the price for the site work (septic/well/ electrical/slab/driveway etc.) so when bank comes back to me I can then deduct those two cost to have what is left for land.. let's hope I can find that pretty reasonable.. I am also having the modular lady give me quote and a smaller home.. The one I gave her first would be the "in a perfect world" I could have (3 large bedrooms, a sunroom/study/scrapbooking spot, kitchen w/dining area, living room, 2 bathrooms and utility room for the washer/dryer) I could do without the sunroom if the master is large enough for my 8 foot scrap table. LOL .. so we will see .. more to come.. trying my best to not eat my feelings - so far so good ..

I usually try to play the Festival of Fantasy music when I'm cleaning the kitchen! That gets me pumped up and moving!

On the downside though. I got the results back from my xrays today and the problem is actually possibly worse than we thought. If it was a stress fracture that would be easy, cast for six weeks good to go! Instead it looks like I've developed a heel spur. If physio and orthotics don't cure it then I have to go in for surgery to get it removed. Yikes! Although I'm now on T3's for the pain which I've never had before. I can't take one until I get home! Oh well! I get to see Zootopia tonight with my DH and DSS!

My Fitbit stopped recorded/displaying my sleep about 10 days ago... right after I had reset the sensitivity down to "sensitive" from normal. So I moved it back to normal and it looks like it loaded all of those missing days/nights of sleep.... but YIKES.... it shows that I am IN bed for about 8 hours most nights, but only asleep for half of that time or less!! What's wrong with me? I would have told you that I normally sleep pretty well! NO WONDER the scale wasn't kind last week! Add to that the new WW job I have that occasionally has a 4 or 5 am shift and wowza.... I wanna drink coffee just THINKING about it!

Dang - isn't it amazing what technology can do for us? Hopefully you can start getting some Zzzz's soon!

trying my best to not eat my feelings - so far so good ..

Sending you lots of love and good vibes as you get your situation resolved. It'll happen. I'm staying positive for you! (And good job not eating your feelings. Go take a walk if you feel stressed!)

I'm not a runner either. I haven't tried a healthier version of anything - but we did come away with a new taste for waffles after having Mickey waffles - I haven't bought a Mickey Waffle Iron yet - but we do have a waffle maker and enjoy them once a week. I haven't been listening to Disney music while exercising - I don't listen to it a lot as with the paddling and being with other people make that a little harder - we chat while we exercise. If I do get a solo walk in lately I have been listening to Hart of Dixie soundtrack. The biggest way I incorporate Disney into my healthy lifestyle is coming on here and chatting with all of you.

On the downside though. I got the results back from my xrays today and the problem is actually possibly worse than we thought. If it was a stress fracture that would be easy, cast for six weeks good to go! Instead it looks like I've developed a heel spur. If physio and orthotics don't cure it then I have to go in for surgery to get it removed. Yikes! Although I'm now on T3's for the pain which I've never had before. I can't take one until I get home! Oh well! I get to see Zootopia tonight with my DH and DSS!

Oh no that is not good - I'm sorry to hear it is worse than you were hoping for :hug:

I did come on last night to read some posts - I had intended to post replies but I was so tired that I practically fell asleep in the front of the computer. Why is it that when you know you need to make changes that it seems the hardest to stick to it?

Somehow I did not have a great start to the week. I managed to get an infection in my ear on Sunday that is very painful. Had to go and see my doctor yesterday who told me that it was not dangerous, just painful. But somehow that made me feel very low Sunday and Monday. So, still no running and eating wasn't too great either. Arg!! The scale was wonderful on Sunday (down a pound from Saturday) but now is going up again. But I can tell that this is water fluctuation. My hands feel all puffy.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your ear feels better soon!

Never done anything runDisney. My sister and I thought about the new DLP event. But neither of us wants to run a half marathon and a 5k just does not seem to be worth the effort. Also, 2016 is not a good year at all for visiting DLP as so many attractions are closed for refurbishment. We are thinking about doing it another year. The other day I was joking about that we should plan to run the Princess Half Marathon in 2019 together. But realistically, it seems such a waste of money and vacation time to go all the way across the Atlantic for a race. The only good thing would be that jet lag should help us with having to get up so horribly early for the race!!

I really hope they add a 10K in Paris in the future ... the 10K races are really popular here, and I think it would be a great option for people in Europe who don't want to (or can't) travel all the way to the US for a race vacation.

I don't listen to Disney music, but I listen to Disney podcasts when I am exercising. I am not a music person at all. My sister allways made fun of me because my LP colletion was three LPs, all them gifts from friends... But I love to listen to other people talking. I used to listen to other podcasts, but now I am exclusively listening the DIS Unplugged family of podcasts. They seem to produce enough content to keep me happy. And I also listen to a British radio soap opera (they make the program available as a podcast after it has aired), so there is some more spoken word. One thing I found out though is that I cannot listen to audiobooks, I need the conversation to keep my concentration.

DIS Unplugged podcasts are awesome! And they're definitely a great way to add some Disney into your day and into your exercising!

No to all of the above. To be honest, I hate running - I'm large chested with a small frame and running is a PITA for me. I wish I could get into it though.

Running is not for everyone, so I get this.

With all that backstory... I cannot remember any Disney food apart from the Mickey waffles (oops:duck:but I can't wait to try a Dole Whip) so no recipes attempted. I also don't listen to Disney music while exercising as I tend to watch Netflix instead. But if I'm doing weights, I can't think of a single Disney song that's fast paced enough - maybe Friend Like Me? or Let it Go (but I'm a huge Idina Menzel fan anyway)?

I have a confession to make ... I don't care about Disney food at all, so I'm with you on that ... Mickey waffles are the only Disney food that comes to mind easily. Well, that and Mickey Ice Cream bars.
There are some decent Disney dance mixes out there, but a lot of the songs are not really fast paced. Which is sad for people who want to listen to Disney music while exercising!

My first race was in 2009 at the Mickey Main St USA 5K. They had no corrals and I think only a thousand or so people signed up. They just sort of had you all line up and go down the shoot - similar to what a local 5K race would have you do. The finish line was right on main street - they handed you a bottle of gatorade and a banana and sent you out of the park. I think theme park admission was included but we were APs so we didn't think about it.

Look at those low bib numbers! Look at those terrible medals! :rotfl:

Old school runDisney! I love it!

Nothing pumps me up on race morning like "I'll Make a Man Out of You!" The song makes me feel like I'm getting ready to take on the huns myself. And Donny Osmond's voice never fails to make me happy.

Excellent race morning choice!

Hubs and I do a weekly date to Disneyland and we use it as our "long walk" for the week. We try to get at least 10,000 steps just at the park. We have a healthy dinner and on the way out we get our cake pop treat for a job well done. We're heading there on Thursday for date night in fact!

I love that you use Disneyland for your walks! It's such a wonderful and magical place - it's the perfect way to get magic and exercise at the same time!

But with the over crowding, price increases, and construction on Star Wars land we may not renew our passes and just get the Disney World pass this year when we're up for renewal. I'm hoping that is not the case and things settle down a little bit once the So Cal Resident ticket offer concludes -- I'm sad just thinking about the possibility.

This makes me so sad. I can't imagine having an AP and then deciding to give it up. But I'm guessing that the Star Wars construction has caused some crowding and navigation issues, and I can kinda understand it. But I'm sad for you. :(

Hey friends! I managed to find a free computer while my class is actually at Computer class, so I'm popping on to say hello!

I was curious to see what my Fitbit recorded for sleep last night.... I know I was a bit restless.... a little cold and just couldn't seem to settle down properly.... but I didn't know it was as bad as the Fitbit seems to think it was!! It recorded that I went to bed at 9:57 pm and got up at 6:09 am (just about right), but that I only got an actual 4 hours of sleep during that time! The rest of it recorded as "restless" or "awake"!! Yikes.... no wonder I was VERY deeply asleep when I got the call to work at 6 am! Usually I am awake by 5:30 or 5:45 without an alarm clock!

Aiming for MORE water and MORE REAL sleep for the rest of the week.... that means making sure I am comfortable (warm enough, etc) and eliminate ALL of the light (I was up during the night last night covering up the charger for my Ipad as it was creating too much light). No caffeine after noon (although that is pretty much the norm) and I'll watch my evening eating, in case that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

Wow!
I have a lot of nights like that - but I also know that I have sleep problems, so it doesn't surprise me. Seeing that low amount of sleep is definitely a shocker - but it just means that you need to work on figuring out what happens and how to get better sleep. I think you've got some great ideas, and hopefully that will help.

ok I am so disappointed yet again we've run into an obstacle with getting a loan.. this time it's because our park doesn't offer a 30 year lease , for Maine State housing if you have a 30 year loan which is what you must have for a brand new mobile you must also have a 30 year lease - our park only does 5 year ones! so I told the mortgage lady to run our credit and let me know what we could do for a stick built loan with Maine State housing. so we will see.. I also have been in touch with a local place about modular homes (I don't really know what the difference is between modular and mobile maybe its just a fancier name for the same thing) but I found a plan I liked, got a quote then the girl was SUPER helpful and gave me the price for the site work (septic/well/ electrical/slab/driveway etc.) so when bank comes back to me I can then deduct those two cost to have what is left for land.. let's hope I can find that pretty reasonable.. I am also having the modular lady give me quote and a smaller home.. The one I gave her first would be the "in a perfect world" I could have (3 large bedrooms, a sunroom/study/scrapbooking spot, kitchen w/dining area, living room, 2 bathrooms and utility room for the washer/dryer) I could do without the sunroom if the master is large enough for my 8 foot scrap table. LOL .. so we will see .. more to come.. trying my best to not eat my feelings - so far so good ..

Sounds like this process is very complicated and stressful! Great job not eating your feelings, and I hope this can get resolved soon.

I usually try to play the Festival of Fantasy music when I'm cleaning the kitchen! That gets me pumped up and moving!

That is an awesome choice for kitchen cleaning music!

Oh no! I hope the physio and orthotics help and you don't end up needing the surgery. Sending you good, healing vibes!
Enjoy Zootopia!

I'm not a runner either. I haven't tried a healthier version of anything - but we did come away with a new taste for waffles after having Mickey waffles - I haven't bought a Mickey Waffle Iron yet - but we do have a waffle maker and enjoy them once a week. I haven't been listening to Disney music while exercising - I don't listen to it a lot as with the paddling and being with other people make that a little harder - we chat while we exercise. If I do get a solo walk in lately I have been listening to Hart of Dixie soundtrack. The biggest way I incorporate Disney into my healthy lifestyle is coming on here and chatting with all of you.

Waffles are awesome. Whether they're healthy or not depends on the recipe, but they're definitely awesome.
And coming on here and chatting is a great way to incorporate Disney into your healthy lifestyle - that's part of why these challenges are here!

Why is it that when you know you need to make changes that it seems the hardest to stick to it?

I think we all wish we knew the answer to that question!

Love to cook? What’s your “prettiest” healthy meal? Make that dish this week, and show us a picture of a healthy meal that looks as good as it tastes. If you can, make that healthy meal for yourself this week – eating healthy can be so much easier when the food looks and tastes delicious. Please feel free to share the recipe with us too!
Not much of a chef? Please post a picture (and recipe) of a healthy dish that you truly enjoy eating – whether it’s something made by a family member, a favorite restaurant dish, or your secret healthy Disney food obsession! Just make sure to tell us about the special healthy dish you ate this week!

One of my favorite ways to make an easy meal is to repurpose leftovers.

upload_2016-3-15_22-22-19.png
(sorry the picture is so giant ... my phone does stupid things with pictures)

We had salmon over the weekend, and while I’m happy to eat the leftovers cold, I really enjoy heating it with some sort of sauce or glaze. Here I used a teriyaki mustard glaze (equal parts teriyaki sauce and mustard) and put the salmon on broil for a few minutes.
I also made brown rice (we have this stuff that comes in a bag and you stick it in boiling water … easy enough that even I don’t screw it up), used that to cover the plate, then put the salmon on top and threw on some leftover mixed vegetables (from a can).

Minimal work, total cooking time 15-20 minutes (depending on how long it takes to boil the water), and all for about 450 calories. And it’s a very filling meal.
(The downside is that it is kinda high in sodium because of the teriyaki, so it’s not for those watching their sodium … but you can do something similar with low sodium soy sauce and mustard, it’s just a slightly different consistency)

Don't believe the fitbit when it tracks sleep under the sensitive setting!! I tried that, too, and got that I am more or less more awake than asleep. I find that I get far more realistic readings when I use the normal tracking. I know that I am a very very quiet sleeper, who moves around very little. Well at least many people who have seen me asleep have told me the same thing. But when I had it on sensitive, it told me that I was awake for most of the time and constantly moving around. And that on nights, when I had someone actually watch me for part of the night (i.e. boyfriend still awake in the same room). I feel that with the normal setting I do get proper results. I usually take about 6-10 minutes to fall asleep and then move 6 to 8 times during the night. There are nights when I move more and those are the days when I wake up feeling drained and horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter