March 7, 2013 Disney Wonder - Bahamas

Hello everybody!! I have not been online recently due to work and I just noticed that some people had some questions re: Port of Miami. I have been living in Miami for almost 5 years and lived here previously (in 2000) for 4 years and my husband is a native Miamian (is that even an word?? :lmao: ) so, I wanted to offer some info. Also, we just went on our first Disney cruise on the Wonder in January (a 5 night) so, if you have any questions let me know!!

I noticed some people asking about parking. I know there are many off-site parking places but, I would not recommend any of them (unless it's garage parking at a hotel or something like that.) For what it's worth, I would pay the $20/night at the port for secure, garage parking. There have been reports recently on the news about some break-ins at some of these off-site parking lots. While they advertise "secure" parking, some are far from that. Vehicles are usually parked in lots surrounded by a chain linked fence and all though they may say they offer 24 hr security this is basically a camera set up at the lot during the night and one "guard" during the day.

Driving to the Port of Miami is not too difficult. There is signage present when you get off I-95. When we went in January I am almost certain the Wonder docked at terminal F (99% sure). You can drop off luggage and family easily and the parking garage is not far (just across from the terminal) then you can walk back to the terminal. Be sure you see the porter put your luggage on a cart (you never know). When we went in January our luggage stayed at the curbside for like 5 minutes (which seems like forever) until I said something to the porter who then proceeded to put it on a cart with other luggage. The person who will be parking the car should be prepared to show ID when entering the garage. They don't always ask for it but, they asked my husband for his ID but not my father-in-law so, go figure :confused3 When you are driving into the POM, drive slowly (ignore the honking people, it is just the Miami way, just wave to them :rotfl2: ) and follow the signs on the left to the terminal. When we went in January there was a lot of traffic. There were 6 other ships at the port so it made for some chaotic driving. But, we also left on a Saturday. So, I am not sure how busy the port will be on a Thursday.

OK, after parking and meeting with the family you can enter the terminal (I believe at 10:30 but not 100% sure---we got there at 11 and walked right in). In order to enter the terminal you will have to show ID/Passport and cruise documents. Yes, the terminal is long and narrow and can get cramped as more people start coming in. As you enter, all the counters are on the right. First platinum/conceirge check-in, then silver/gold check-in then regular check-in. After that is the kid's club check-in. We waited and did that on the ship...the line at the terminal was super long. Hardly any waiting once on the ship at the kid's club. As you approach the end of the terminal you will see the escalator up to get on the ship. Under the escalator and to the right is the area for character pictures. It is kinda of hidden. Then you just wait until they call your boarding number. YAY!!! :cool1:

I hope I have offered some info that will be useful. If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. :thumbsup2

BTW, did we ever agree on a meet-n-greet??? only 10 days to go!!! :goodvibes

Thank you for all of the info on the Port in Miami, this is my first time in that port. I am a travel agent so I am staying on the Wonder after our cruise to do a ship inspection, Well, I have to get off with my family and go thru customs and then re board for inspection. I feel bad for my family, they will have to wait in terminal until I get done. I stay on board for lunch again on Wonder. Tough job:) I can't pass up staying and getting it done though since we drove down from Orlando makes since to get it done while there. Most my ship inspections I do out of Port Canaveral.

I hope they have wi fi or something to do while I am in there?

Thank you so much girasol312, very helpful info! My hubby had a Q- since we are arriving so early (8:00 AM or so), is there anywhere nearby we can hang out (cafe, shops, etc) that we can enjoy while we wait? I don't feel like sitting on a bench for 3 hours (if we can even find a bench!).

I'm listening to Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack while making new pirate night accessories :). pirate: HAPPY HAPPY!!

Thank you so much girasol312, very helpful info! My hubby had a Q- since we are arriving so early (8:00 AM or so), is there anywhere nearby we can hang out (cafe, shops, etc) that we can enjoy while we wait? I don't feel like sitting on a bench for 3 hours (if we can even find a bench!).

I'm listening to Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack while making new pirate night accessories :). pirate: HAPPY HAPPY!!

Hello!! Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything readily available at POM at that time of the morning. The Port of Miami is connected to the mainland by a long bridge so, unless you are fit, walking across the tall, long bridge with luggage can be a hassle. But, maybe if you only have like 1 or 2 smaller sized bags your friend can drop you off at Bayside and then you can catch a cab from there to take you across to the Port. Should not cost a lot. Bayside is a large shopping area...probably not too much open at that time but, worth a shot.

By the way, there ARE benches at the drop off site of the terminal. You can sit there and watch as people get off the ship. When we went in January, I saw a couple of families there doing that as I waited for my husband to get the car.

8 more days!!! :cheer2:

Meet-n-greet???? :confused3

Thank you so much girasol312! :flower3: I am definitely not fit enough to be walking over any bridges, so I'll let DH know your advice and we'll see what he wants to do. He is a penny pincher this trip, so I imagine a bench is in my future. It's nice to know there are a lot of them too! At PC I normally end up sitting on the ground. From a bench I can watch the disembarking families do the "Walk of Shame" as they leave. :wave2:

As for the meet up, I'm not so great at organizing that stuff! On our last cruise meet up they did it in the Promenade Lounge before our Sail Away party, but then we ended up missing the actually sailing away part because we left much earlier than scheduled and none of us realized we were moving. :lmao: It's up to you guys... I'm too timid to be in charge! :blush:

Just a couple of days until we set sail! My parents are flying in tonight and we'll be focused on organizing and packing. I hope the weather warms up! It is quite chilly in Central Florida.

The kids cannot wait to deliver FE's, so I better get them finished. LOL! :)

Just a couple of days until we set sail! My parents are flying in tonight and we'll be focused on organizing and packing. I hope the weather warms up! It is quite chilly in Central Florida.

The kids cannot wait to deliver FE's, so I better get them finished. LOL! :)

Me too, so excited, it looks like it warms up and is warmer down in Miami, Key West and Bahamas then here in Orlando anyhow.

We went to Magic Kingdom and froze yesterday, the wind made it worse.

This will probably be the last time I'm online before we leave for Miami tomorrow. I am baking our host a TON of goodies :). He wanted bacon peanut butter chocolate treats... oh no. :crazy2:That didn't happen, but I did make him some peanut butter brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and blueberry muffins. He can sprinkle bacon bits on them if he wants to.

May everyone have a wonderful, SAFE journey down to Miami. I'm looking forward to 48 hours from now, when I'll be sitting on deck 9 with my ice cream cone looking at the Miami skyline. :cool1: :mickeybar

(And is this not the cutest smiley ever. I had to use it even though it had nothing to do with my post: :crutches:)

I am 14 and will be on this cruise I can't wait until tomorrow we are from Sarasota Florida

On the cruise will be -
My parents
My bf parents
His grandparents

The ages of all the kids are
14- Rebecca
15- JT
13- Marley

I am 14 and will be on this cruise I can't wait until tomorrow we are from Sarasota Florida

On the cruise will be -
My parents
My bf parents
His grandparents

The ages of all the kids are
14- Rebecca
15- JT
13- Marley

Hi Rebecca,

I have two girls who will be cruising with us. Bryanna (Bri) is 15 and Courtney is 12 (almost 13). I'm sure they will see you at Vibe and/or Edge.

Have a great trip!!

Awwwwww it's all over now. :sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1:

We had a wonderful time though. Our host in Miami was wonderful, and of course the cruise itself was magical as always :). We loved the Cloister and the Versailles Gardens in Nassau btw- we thought it was well worth the $8 round trip water taxi!! We ended up meeting two ladies at our Castaway Club meeting that live five miles away from us. Small world huh?

I hope everyone had a wonderful sailing. I'm looking forward to the next one (not soon enough!!) as I unpack with a big frowny on my face.

We had a great cruise, the weather was great and the seas were so calm!

Thank you for all of the fish extender gifts!!

Thanks to all for the unique and creative FE gifts!! The kids loved delivering and checking their "mail" upon return to the cabin. So much fun!! We hope everyone received their deliveries. I think we may have had one of the rooms confused.

The weather was SO beautiful and my parents had a fantastic time!! We cannot wait to go again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter