July 22, 2013 - Wonder Cruise to Alaska

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted on this DISboard....so here we go again. My DW & I just booked on this DCL Alaskan 2013. Really looking forward to chatting and planning for this cruise. This is our 3rd cruise, but our first to Alaska. And we're in for the FE's. I was in charge of our last cruise's FE's back in 2008. So, I'm VERY happy that someone else has taken up "the cross" LOL! I will you send ya PM for the FB page.

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted on this DISboard....so here we go again. My DW & I just booked on this DCL Alaskan 2013. Really looking forward to chatting and planning for this cruise. This is our 3rd cruise, but our first to Alaska. And we're in for the FE's. I was in charge of our last cruise's FE's back in 2008. So, I'm VERY happy that someone else has taken up "the cross" LOL! I will you send ya PM for the FB page.

Hi Vern!

Welcome to the group! I believe my wife added you to the FB page already but if not, let me know. The board and FB page have both been somewhat quiet up to this point - hopefully that changes as we get into the new year and closer to the cruise date.

There's a link on the FB wall that will allow you to sign up for the FE exchange. Please fill it out if you plan to participate. Looking forward to getting to know you and your wife over the next several months!

- Tony

Hi Vern!

Welcome to the group! I believe my wife added you to the FB page already but if not, let me know. The board and FB page have both been somewhat quiet up to this point - hopefully that changes as we get into the new year and closer to the cruise date.

There's a link on the FB wall that will allow you to sign up for the FE exchange. Please fill it out if you plan to participate. Looking forward to getting to know you and your wife over the next several months!

- Tony
Thanks Tony, Yes, I did fill out the FE page. As I said before, Karen & I headed up our last FE in 2008. Back then we didn't have FB and the nice page to have everyone fill out. It was alot of work.:scared: But in the end, I really had fun watching and hearing how the kids enjoyed the "little things" we did for them. I made name tags that looked just like the ones I wore as a cast member from Disneyland. They were laminated paper with pins glued to the back so that everyone could wear them everywhere they went. Also, it helped so that we could remember their names. :lmao: I'll post a picture of one on FB. Of course I could've got in trouble with Disney for copyrights, since I scaned my nametag and just whited out my name and then typed in everyone elses. FUN TIMES!!!

Hello
I just booked the July 22 Alaska cruise. It will be just my daughter who will be 8.. This will be our first cruise.. And we would love to hear more about the FE and join in.
Thanks
Tammy

Hello
I just booked the July 22 Alaska cruise. It will be just my daughter who will be 8.. This will be our first cruise.. And we would love to hear more about the FE and join in.
Thanks
Tammy
WELCOME Tammy & to your daughter:cool1::cool1: !!! Well FE's are like lil' surprises each day that we all get when cruisin'. It's a "small" gift-giving that you can particapate in. These gifts can represent where your from or just a small trinket that you want to give someone. There are threads that are here you can read through. Also, if you have Facebook, Tony can sign you up on our FB page for our cruise, and then I'll show you pictures of our FE bag and ideas that we got on our last cruise in 2008. Glad to have ya aboard. Vern

HI All! We will be on this cruise as well. We were booked two years ago but I just started thinking about the trip and was happy to see that there already was a thread started.

We have a large crew:
Me, DH, DS-16 and DD-14 (when traveling)
Dsis, DBIL, DNephew -17
My WONDERful parents

Darling friends we talked into coming on their First Disney cruise:
Mom, Dad and DS-16 and DD-14

So 13 in all!!! How are we going to get all of us to Vancouver!!

Most of us are from Maryland and flying from Baltimore, Already got our flights on Southwest!!! :cool1: Flying into Seattle and then driving or taking train up to Vancouver. So much to think about. After Christmas we need to tackle all the details but so glad the flights are out of the way. I think they were good prices from the east coast with it being $448 Round trip each (but most of us had free flights from our Southwest cards!)

Anywhoo!! Looking forward to meeting and greeting with you all. I don't have facebook, but my Dsis does. She is a member of the DISboard (Karana)and will be on here soon I suppose and put in a request to be on the FB page!

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Welcome, Cmbar! Sorry for not getting around to this post sooner - work and holidays have filled my time.

If you are interested, we have an FE exchange sign up form. Let me know and I can PM you the link or, if you or someone else joins the Facebook page, the link is accessible there.

- Tony

Hello again,
I put a request in fb wonders of "13. Please add me..
thanks

Hi chickamu! Sorry, I didn't see any request from you to be added to the group. I've been slacking a bit so I do apologize. Please try again or send me a PM with your FB email address and I will get you added.

We are booked for this one as well! Trying to find options on flying in and out of Vancouver. We want to give ourselves 1-2days lead in getting there. I hope I can find this thread again.

Can I also be added to the FB group?

DH and I will be on the cruise to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We're from VT so it's bit of a haul to get us there (and airfare is NOT cheap!), but I can not wait for the trip. We've always wanted to go to Alaska, and I've always wanted to do a DCL cruise so we're kind of getting two birds with one stone :)

Right now we're looking to arrive in SEA on the 21st and then make our way to Vancouver either that night or early am on the 22nd. I really don't know how close is too close as far as arriving in Vancouver. We have a semi-strict budget (which is also making excursion planning difficult) and really need to spend as little as possible on getting there and getting home.

We are not big air travelers - we have been to WDW several times but always fly non-stop from VT. I have a lot to figure out before we can book flights, etc. and am happy to receive any and all tried and true suggestions for when to arrive in SEA, how to get to Vancouver, etc. I've read through most of the other Alaska threads and am currently quite overwhelmed with the possibilities. Sometimes I wonder if it's "worth" the extra $$ to just fly right to Vancouver...but then I think of the excursions we could do with that money if we saved it instead. Ugh!

At this point I'm not sure about the FE (why IS it called that, anyway?) as it will be just DH and I. Depending on the size of the group, we may participate.

Sorry for rambling - I'm so excited for this trip - we just booked a few days ago and already I can't sleep because I'm planning in my head.

I look forward to meeting some of you!

DH and I will be on the cruise to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We're from VT so it's bit of a haul to get us there (and airfare is NOT cheap!), but I can not wait for the trip. We've always wanted to go to Alaska, and I've always wanted to do a DCL cruise so we're kind of getting two birds with one stone :)

Right now we're looking to arrive in SEA on the 21st and then make our way to Vancouver either that night or early am on the 22nd. I really don't know how close is too close as far as arriving in Vancouver. We have a semi-strict budget (which is also making excursion planning difficult) and really need to spend as little as possible on getting there and getting home.

We are not big air travelers - we have been to WDW several times but always fly non-stop from VT. I have a lot to figure out before we can book flights, etc. and am happy to receive any and all tried and true suggestions for when to arrive in SEA, how to get to Vancouver, etc. I've read through most of the other Alaska threads and am currently quite overwhelmed with the possibilities. Sometimes I wonder if it's "worth" the extra $$ to just fly right to Vancouver...but then I think of the excursions we could do with that money if we saved it instead. Ugh!

At this point I'm not sure about the FE (why IS it called that, anyway?) as it will be just DH and I. Depending on the size of the group, we may participate.

Sorry for rambling - I'm so excited for this trip - we just booked a few days ago and already I can't sleep because I'm planning in my head.

WELCOME!!! KelseyLaPerle to our lil' Disney family! Glad to have ya'll onboard with us. It's very understandable of your concerns on "the budget" issues. We (wife & I) were that way on our first cruise too. "FE" stands for fish extender. There are fish ornaments that are on the wall next to stateroom. So with that said, people make & decorate a FE to put outside their stateroom for a "gift exchange" from Disboard/Facebook friends. If you send me a PM with your FB I'll add you to our group. ::MickeyMo PS There is a Fish Extender Disney Cruise Line Facebook page you can join also. That way you can get ideas and see what FE's are all about.

vrntnns said:
WELCOME!!! KelseyLaPerle to our lil' Disney family! Glad to have ya'll onboard with us. It's very understandable of your concerns on "the budget" issues. We (wife & I) were that way on our first cruise too. "FE" stands for fish extender. There are fish ornaments that are on the wall next to stateroom. So with that said, people make & decorate a FE to put outside their stateroom for a "gift exchange" from Disboard/Facebook friends. If you send me a PM with your FB I'll add you to our group. ::MickeyMo PS There is a Fish Extender Disney Cruise Line Facebook page you can join also. That way you can get ideas and see what FE's are all about.

I can not send you a pm - I keep getting an error message saying you can't receive messages. You can find me on Facebook by searching - my name is the same as on here.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the group, Kelsey! I feel your pain with the Alaska cruise expense. I don't understand why it is so much more expensive than a 7 night cruise in the Caribbean. As my 12 yr old ds said, "It's just ice!" :rotfl:

We originally looked at flying into SEA as well but, being the number cruncher that I am, I figured out the cost of SEA vs VAN and based on my family of 5, it ended up being almost a wash by the time we added the train to VAN and the extra nights in SEA. I calculated everything using the cheapest alternatives (inexpensive lodging, public transportation, modest food budgets, etc.) and the numbers didn't justify the aggravation and effort involved. Needless to say, we booked our flight to VAN.

As for shore excursions, this really is the highlight of an Alaskan cruise. I have been to Alaska twice now and both times were very different experiences. On my last visit we spent the day walking around one of the towns rather than taking a tour. While it was a good time and interesting to see, it's not something we reflect back on like the other excursions we took. I realize they are expensive - most of the tours our family is interested in doing are going to cost me a minimum of $1000 :scared1:. When all is said and done, the tours will cost almost as much as the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter