It's a Small World - Appreciation Society *50th Anniversary!*

This is one of my all-time favorite rides! I am glad others love it, too- I don't understand what's not to love! :confused3 I think the song is great!

I've been a little MIA lately and missed 7 pages of this thread :scared1:

IASW is probably my favourite ride of all time. It is my grandmas favourite too, and we always ride it together on every trip - so it has an extra special meaning for me.

I agree that it sometimes gets a bad rep, but I love it anyway! The song, the dolls, the whole nine yards!

I am definitely a member of the IASW Appreciation Society!

I so want to be a member! This ride is such a treasure to me for oh so many reasons.

Disneyland pic by my DD, I was in Disneyland 1966 and hope to return in 2014

d1e0b645.jpg

7593e38f.jpg

05813802.jpg

8aaeedc5.jpg

e8380227.jpg

396650d4.jpg

178ec1fa.jpg

Thanks Steamboat for sharing your DL pic!

Here's one from before I was born (back in '72). My mom (blonde), grandma, and aunt at DL. I love how this ride's enjoyment crosses so many generations. My parents first road it at the World's Fair.

1972.DisneyCathyGrandmaTeresaMary.jpg

Cant believe that I just found this thread today. I love this ride more than words can describe. I am a 51 year old man and i am not shy to say that. It is this ride that is one of the earliest memories etched into my brain. I rode it with my Aunt and Grandma at the Worlds Fair in NY back in 1964 when I was only 3 years old. Trust me, the memories are vivid ones. We rode it over and over again. At the que there were CM's in costume. I always looked for Pluto and he waved just to me every visit. To this day I associate a trip to WDW with Its a Small World. I am very excited about my trip to Disneyland next month. It will be my DW's first time there and I haven't risen the Disneyland IASW version in many years. Thats the one that gets to me everytime, because that is the Worlds fair ride that was moved to California after the fair closed. The same ride that I rode over and over with my Grandma as a tot. I must say that I am not a fan of the recent refurb at WDW. My most prized Disney souvenir (trust me I have many), is a set of light blue and white flags from the Florida IASM. Enjoy your future rides all.

Awesome WF story!! I wish they had been able to keep the original mobile, The Tower of the Four Winds, that was at the entrance. I was not born yet to enjoy the WF, but from video (documentary) and pics I have seen, this was such a nice touch! Here's a little history on this beloved ride.

12.jpg

Awesome WF story!! I wish they had been able to keep the original mobile, The Tower of the Four Winds, that was at the entrance. I was not born yet to enjoy the WF, but from video (documentary) and pics I have seen, this was such a nice touch! Here's a little history on this beloved ride.

12.jpg

Great link, thank you. I live a little less than a half hour from the Worlds Fair Site. Believe it or not, it stands as a ghost town. Many of the buildings stand as empty vandalized structures. Take a look at GOOGLE EARTH. in the location bar type in FLUSHING MEADOW PARK. On my things to do list is to take a ride around the park on my bicycle. I am sure it will be a meloncholy journey. So many great memories. I am looking forward to next month when I take my wife to Disneyland. It will be her first time there. It has been a while since my last ride on Disneylands IASW version. It is my sentimental favorite because it is the Disneyland version that was trucked out to California after the New York Worlds Fair closed. One of my prized Disney collectables that I have acquired is a set of light blue and white flags that hung in the IASW ride. I have them put away in a box, but it brings a smile to my face every time I go down in the basement and open the box.

12.jpg

I forgot to mention in my last post. By the elevator banks at the Contemporary resort at WDW, there was a scale model of the Four Winds Tower kept under glass. I noticed that it was gone on my last trip to WDW last February. I wonder why they moved it and to where. It would be sad if it was moved because there was no interest in it.

Thank you to everyone who shared a picture, a moment, or golden family memory! :goodvibes Regardless if the song makes you wish you were locked in a restroom at a KISS concert hearing I wanna Rock and Roll All Night in a 24hour loop or makes you sentimental- it does have a meaning for all of us.

:goodvibes

I love "it's a small world"!! For me, it's just not a Disney trip without at least one ride on it. If I can get the guys in the family to go on it more than once a trip, I do. I am sadly the only person in my family of 4 that loves this ride. Luckily their love for me is bigger than their hate for the ride.

I have loved It's a Small World ever since I was young. I Don't understand why people hate on it. It's like what the Sherman Brothers said; "If you listen to the lyrics, you can learn something". It's a Small World is the first attraction I go on every time I head to Disney land or Walt Disney World. And I will always be a supporter of It's a Small World.

Such sweet stories and sentiments!

pinnocchiosdad--- thanks so much for posting those links! Much appreciated!

While my love for Its a small world does not as far back as most of you I love hearing everyone's memories around the ride. For me it is not a trip to Disney without being able to ride. DH does not love it but will ride it with me as many times as I want the trip. (which usually is only at most 2 times per day at MK) :)
Please keep up with the wonderful story's and memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter