Is this realistic?

Why did you sign up for that site and the training plan, was it for motivation or to achieve a new set of goals?
My neighbor was using it and she found it to be more challenging than just following a standard training plan. She sent me a couple of the workouts they'd sent her and I liked them - since we have similar run times, it suited me. The workouts are based on your current level of fitness, which they base on your most recent race time. I used my Navy-Air Force Half time as a base since I really didn't feel like the marathon was a good gauge. A week in, I'm finding the workouts to be very challenging - they want me to run my easy runs at 10:04 and my tempo runs around 9:30. It's hard to maintain a consistent pace running in the city, but I managed the easy run just over the goal time last week, not bad considering the 2-3 minutes I spent collectively at stoplights (and one dog potty break.) I ran a 5k Sunday at 9:13/mile and the 2miles from home to the start at 9:30, so maybe the tempo pace isn't as out of reach as I thought. So...it's pushing me harder than I'd push myself, which is a good thing.

Chiomaca, you never said how the sign up went for Paris. You still intend to do it, right? I heard registration was a bit of a mess and got delayed?
I never managed anything...the release was on a day when I was slammed at work and predictably, spots went fast. That was the first go round, and was only package deals. They're supposed to do another round in January without the package deal, so maybe I'll try then.

I just had to stop in because I have been complaining for months now about pain. Well, I ran 5 miles last night and this morning before work I did another 7. I was worried about 2 days in a row but I was not in any pain at all and I was feeling so good I pushed it to the 7 miles. I'm sore now but that's no big deal. Now I need to ramp up the miles to a respectable level by the end of the month.
:rockband::yay::dogdance:

So you are looking to improve your time then? That's good. What is your target pace?

Yeah, I don't get that registration process at all. Why the required package to register, I just don't like that part.

When are you leaving for Avengers?

I'm always looking to improve my time. As for goals - I'd like to get my half marathon under two hours. After that, just to be better than the last time whenever possible.

The package deals I think are because many people will want everything wrapped up in a bow - airfare, hotel, and race entry. I'm more interested in creating my own plan. The first set of packages seemed to be designed for non-travelers and I'm kind of a build-your-own-adventure girl.

I leave tomorrow morning! Get in early afternoon and will drop my bags, then hit the expo. My brother and his family get in late Thursday night, so I'll most of Thursday on my own.

I am with you. I like to piece my trips together as opposed to having a one package fits all plan given to me.

My co-worker leaves in the morning too. I hope you have a great time and have a good race. Hopefully you don't get those same winds again.

Chiomaca, how are things going with the virtual running coach? It sounds pretty cool.

Waiting I am so glad to hear that you have been able to run pain free finally. I'm sure that you will be able to pick things up pretty quickly and be fine for the marathon. :)

I'm still going to bootcamp 3 days a week. I started the eating plan Monday. I have had no sugar for the last 4 days except for the flavored creamer in my coffee. I get one fruit in the morning and 2 complex carbs before 1 pm. My veggies are restricted to green veggies this week and next. I thought it would be a lot harder to do but I'm good. I struggled for the first 2 days to eat that much food for breakfast but I adapted quickly. Now my meals are equal in calorie intake and I don't eat a big dinner. For the most part my sugar cravings are tiny and I can shut them up with a protein bar for my afternoon snack. Lol. I will weigh myself Sunday morning to see how it's going. :)

Chiomaca, how are things going with the virtual running coach? It sounds pretty cool.

Waiting I am so glad to hear that you have been able to run pain free finally. I'm sure that you will be able to pick things up pretty quickly and be fine for the marathon. :)

I'm still going to bootcamp 3 days a week. I started the eating plan Monday. I have had no sugar for the last 4 days except for the flavored creamer in my coffee. I get one fruit in the morning and 2 complex carbs before 1 pm. My veggies are restricted to green veggies this week and next. I thought it would be a lot harder to do but I'm good. I struggled for the first 2 days to eat that much food for breakfast but I adapted quickly. Now my meals are equal in calorie intake and I don't eat a big dinner. For the most part my sugar cravings are tiny and I can shut them up with a protein bar for my afternoon snack. Lol. I will weigh myself Sunday morning to see how it's going. :)

I'm not so sure I will be "ready" for the marathon. I may finish it but I want to be able to finish and still go to the parks. I don't wanna be so tired and sore I am confined to my room. I will just do my best, its all I can do.

I am so happy to hear you are doing so well. I think 2 weeks of that diet and you will see a big difference. I did a similar diet last year. It's weird to say but it becomes just as addicting to eat that way as eating junk food. You feel so good eating that way. If you keep this up, you will be seeing some major differences by the end of the year.

I have personally been struggling with diet again. I haven't gained weight but the habits aren't as good as last year. I need to get back into the good habits. It's very hard as you know.

How'd the weekend go Chiomaca? My co-worker was there and it was his first trip to DL. He said he had a blast. Weather seemed good, no sand issues this year? :D

Going pretty well, although my odd schedule with three consecutive races confused things a bit. I've been allowed a good long break though, which is nice. I'll start running again tomorrow (maybe - the office is down one person in the morning, so if I do it will be short) or Saturday. I get an e-mail every evening with the next day's workout and then go to the website and log it. They adjust the workouts based on race times, so it's always pushing a little bit but not in a crazy way.

I'm not so sure I will be "ready" for the marathon. I may finish it but I want to be able to finish and still go to the parks. I don't wanna be so tired and sore I am confined to my room. I will just do my best, its all I can do.
You just need to plan the weekend so that you aren't too tired before the marathon. How are you feeling?

The race weekend went really well - your co-worker was right, no Santa Anas this year! I ran the 5k with my brother and his 8 year old, while his wife and younger son walked it. I'm proud of all of them - the 8 year old had never run more than two miles but his gymnastics-based stamina served him well because we finished in 33:32! We let the kid set the pace so that he didn't push too hard, and we made him walk through one of the two water stops, but he never stopped and I think he'd have been fine without the water. He and I raced the last 50 yards or so, which was fun, even if I did pull back and let him beat me. (Next year he has to earn it!) I taught him to give high fives to the Cast Members and thank the volunteers. The little one walked the entire way under his own power and didn't stop, so I'm proud of him, too. The 10k was a lot of fun - we stopped for a couple of pictures but nothing that required a line, so no characters. I ran with my friend and then we waited for my mom, who ended up winning her age group. She may have been the only one in the 70+ group, but who cares? The Half was a bit more challenging after two days of running, so we just had fun with it. The course was a little different from last year's, but we still ran along the dry riverbed, so it was good that the wind didn't pick back up.

How's everything going with you guys?

Going pretty well, although my odd schedule with three consecutive races confused things a bit. I've been allowed a good long break though, which is nice. I'll start running again tomorrow (maybe - the office is down one person in the morning, so if I do it will be short) or Saturday. I get an e-mail every evening with the next day's workout and then go to the website and log it. They adjust the workouts based on race times, so it's always pushing a little bit but not in a crazy way.

You just need to plan the weekend so that you aren't too tired before the marathon. How are you feeling?

The race weekend went really well - your co-worker was right, no Santa Anas this year! I ran the 5k with my brother and his 8 year old, while his wife and younger son walked it. I'm proud of all of them - the 8 year old had never run more than two miles but his gymnastics-based stamina served him well because we finished in 33:32! We let the kid set the pace so that he didn't push too hard, and we made him walk through one of the two water stops, but he never stopped and I think he'd have been fine without the water. He and I raced the last 50 yards or so, which was fun, even if I did pull back and let him beat me. (Next year he has to earn it!) I taught him to give high fives to the Cast Members and thank the volunteers. The little one walked the entire way under his own power and didn't stop, so I'm proud of him, too. The 10k was a lot of fun - we stopped for a couple of pictures but nothing that required a line, so no characters. I ran with my friend and then we waited for my mom, who ended up winning her age group. She may have been the only one in the 70+ group, but who cares? The Half was a bit more challenging after two days of running, so we just had fun with it. The course was a little different from last year's, but we still ran along the dry riverbed, so it was good that the wind didn't pick back up.

How's everything going with you guys?

That's great about your mom and I am with you. Who cares if she was the only one in the age group. She finished so she is a winner no matter what. I bet it was so much fun running with family. I am hoping to do a race with at least a couple of my kids next year.

It was my co-worker's first trip to DL and he came back with lots of stories and a huge smile on his face. He said how different it was but it seems to be right up the alley of what I love about Disney, which is the history. Now I am really considering the DL 1/2 before the 60th celebration ends. I know it is your favorite park of the 2 so I am sure you won't talk me out of it.

How am I doing? I am struggling big time with motivation. I am mostly pain-free, which is great. But that shorter days and colder weather are killing me, I think. I'll figure it all out because I have to but I am afraid I will not be in the shape I want to be for January. I'll still finish but it will be tough if this keeps up.

It was my co-worker's first trip to DL and he came back with lots of stories and a huge smile on his face. He said how different it was but it seems to be right up the alley of what I love about Disney, which is the history. Now I am really considering the DL 1/2 before the 60th celebration ends. I know it is your favorite park of the 2 so I am sure you won't talk me out of it.
I really do prefer running DL to WDW, the run through the city of Anaheim and through Angels park is much more interesting than running along the highway at WDW.

The cold weather plays havoc with my motivation, too. On the really cold days, I struggle to get myself up and outdoors. I did okay on Friday, which was my first designated run day after the DL weekend. I know it's going to get harder, so I'll probably sign up with another group to train for the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler...just to make sure I have a reason to get out of the house Saturday mornings! I know you have the same challenges I do, having to run in the dark. Hopefully you can maybe gt your oldest out with you once in a while, or even bring the bunch of them to the track so you can keep an eye on them. Running with the young ones is fun.

Chiomaca, sounds like everyone did an amazing job at the race. Sounds like your nephew rocked that 5k!

Waiting, sounds like you are in the same rut I was so I will give your advice back to you. Just keep doing it. Eventually it gets better. I agree with both of you that doing running/exercise with others helps with the motivation.

I'm loving bootcamp and I'm no longer as sore as I was. It has been 2 weeks on the meal plan and I'm down about 5.5 lbs. I'm about 32 lbs from my highest weight with 10 of that gone since I started bootcamp. Since starting the low carb diet I feel great. So much more energy and very few carb cravings unless I've waited too long to eat. I am feeling pretty great. The only exception is that my knees ache sometimes. I'm pretty sure I have patellofemoral syndrome but it's really mild right now. Lunges really irritate it but otherwise nothing else causes pain yet.

I've already got a workout plan in place for next week. I'm doing my normal 3 days at bootcamp but am taking a 1 1/2 hour Zumba class on thanksgiving. Should help offset all the yummy food I plan on eating.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

I really do prefer running DL to WDW, the run through the city of Anaheim and through Angels park is much more interesting than running along the highway at WDW.

The cold weather plays havoc with my motivation, too. On the really cold days, I struggle to get myself up and outdoors. I did okay on Friday, which was my first designated run day after the DL weekend. I know it's going to get harder, so I'll probably sign up with another group to train for the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler...just to make sure I have a reason to get out of the house Saturday mornings! I know you have the same challenges I do, having to run in the dark. Hopefully you can maybe gt your oldest out with you once in a while, or even bring the bunch of them to the track so you can keep an eye on them. Running with the young ones is fun.

I get my runs in at night after work so there is no taking the kids on those. If I run during the day it is when the kids are at school. I planned to do 30 miles last week but 3 sick kids put a wrench in that plan. I did the best I could but didn't get what I needed. I went out after work tonight. Not to cold but it started raining as I stepped out the door from work. I was tired but as I began running I was feeling great so I ended up doing 6 miles in the cold and rain. It didn't even bother me. But I will figure it all out. I signed up for this marathon because I knew it would keep me pushing in the winter (plus I got to go to Disney).

As for running in DL, yeah he is telling me I should do the DL 1/2 in September. He said the 10K through DL is the best course ever. :-) So, if I can't convince the "wife" to bring this kids next year then I might just do that. My first priority it bringing the kids before we get divorced if I can help it.

Chiomaca, sounds like everyone did an amazing job at the race. Sounds like your nephew rocked that 5k!

Waiting, sounds like you are in the same rut I was so I will give your advice back to you. Just keep doing it. Eventually it gets better. I agree with both of you that doing running/exercise with others helps with the motivation.

I'm loving bootcamp and I'm no longer as sore as I was. It has been 2 weeks on the meal plan and I'm down about 5.5 lbs. I'm about 32 lbs from my highest weight with 10 of that gone since I started bootcamp. Since starting the low carb diet I feel great. So much more energy and very few carb cravings unless I've waited too long to eat. I am feeling pretty great. The only exception is that my knees ache sometimes. I'm pretty sure I have patellofemoral syndrome but it's really mild right now. Lunges really irritate it but otherwise nothing else causes pain yet.

I've already got a workout plan in place for next week. I'm doing my normal 3 days at bootcamp but am taking a 1 1/2 hour Zumba class on thanksgiving. Should help offset all the yummy food I plan on eating.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

I am pushing through. I know I need to and I will get it done.

That is excellent news. I am glad you found a program you love. It makes it so much easier to do and the results come faster as a result. 10 lbs since you started is EXCELLENT. I will be thinking of you doing Zumba on Thanksgiving as I plan to do at least 5 miles in the morning myself.

Happy Thanksgiving ladies. I hope you are both having a great day.

I had 10 miles planned this morning and I only got 8.2 done. It was a rough morning. Things are just not going well. That time off really hurt me. I am running a marathon in 45 days and I am struggling to do the 8.2 miles I did today. So it's frustrating. But I will just keep doing my best and eventually things will click, I hope.

That's awesome! I'm so glad you're sticking with and even enjoying the bootcamp. Watch your knees and remember that a lot of knee pain is based on your hips, so focus on strengthening them, too. (That turned out to the be source of my pain...which I didn't know for years!)

was tired but as I began running I was feeling great so I ended up doing 6 miles in the cold and rain. It didn't even bother me. But I will figure it all out. I signed up for this marathon because I knew it would keep me pushing in the winter (plus I got to go to Disney).
I'm glad the running felt god, even if Thanksgiving was rougher. I haven't done a whole lot of running lately, just a couple of morning runs for the most part. I'm struggling with running in the dark AND cold. I am planning to start working out during the workday again so that I can run in the sun. The dogs haven't complained much about sleeping in a bit. I did join my friends (seven of us) for a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, then after a shower and a nap, joined the larger group (the runners + spouses and kids and neighbors) for dinner. Thankfully, my mom taught me to make gravy because I was the only one in the house who could...which is what you get when the group is a combination of Aussies and Korean and Vietnamese immigrants. I only brought desserts home :-)

I will work on my hips. I'm also thinking of finally breaking down and getting some orthotics made. The ones I have help a lot but I'm wondering if custom ones would help as well. I'm slowing down a little during my workouts if I feel that it is bothering my knees because I don't want to have to take a break. It's so hard for me to get moving again.

Chiomaca, sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. :) Waiting, I hope yours was as well. I'm hoping that the running is starting to get a little better for you.

Orthotics might help, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by adapting when it hurts.

The cold and rain are still slowing me down, but I did get a circus workout in yesterday!

That's awesome! I'm so glad you're sticking with and even enjoying the bootcamp. Watch your knees and remember that a lot of knee pain is based on your hips, so focus on strengthening them, too. (That turned out to the be source of my pain...which I didn't know for years!)

I'm glad the running felt god, even if Thanksgiving was rougher. I haven't done a whole lot of running lately, just a couple of morning runs for the most part. I'm struggling with running in the dark AND cold. I am planning to start working out during the workday again so that I can run in the sun. The dogs haven't complained much about sleeping in a bit. I did join my friends (seven of us) for a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, then after a shower and a nap, joined the larger group (the runners + spouses and kids and neighbors) for dinner. Thankfully, my mom taught me to make gravy because I was the only one in the house who could...which is what you get when the group is a combination of Aussies and Korean and Vietnamese immigrants. I only brought desserts home :-)

Glad you both had nice Thanksgivings. Mine was pretty uneventful other than my run.

I will work on my hips. I'm also thinking of finally breaking down and getting some orthotics made. The ones I have help a lot but I'm wondering if custom ones would help as well. I'm slowing down a little during my workouts if I feel that it is bothering my knees because I don't want to have to take a break. It's so hard for me to get moving again.

Chiomaca, sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. :) Waiting, I hope yours was as well. I'm hoping that the running is starting to get a little better for you.

I am in a similar boat to Chiomaca. The cold and the dark are killing me. Once day I go out and feel awful when I start and the run turns out great. Other days I start off feeling good and the run is awful. I can't loosen up like I do in the summer because it is so cold.

My long run is up to 8.2 miles and that was a struggle. So I am a little in trouble considering I am 39 days from being at Disney. I am just going to do my best this month and get in as many miles as I can and just take it easy for the race. I am currently injury free so that's really what is important.

StayCool- knee pain could be from a bunch of things. It could just be your body getting used to all the work you're doing still. Did you ask your trainer what it might be? Either way, it is smart to modify the workouts in the meantime.

Orthotics might help, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by adapting when it hurts.

The cold and rain are still slowing me down, but I did get a circus workout in yesterday!

It has been so rainy and gray here that no one wants to do anything. Luckily (insert sarcasm here) I can't see outside while I'm at work so it doesn't effect me. Yay for getting in the circus workout though. Has the new job been interfering with your circus workouts?

I called for a podiatry appointment today and can't get in until the end of January. :( Depending on how things go I may look around for someone that has an opening sooner. I'm also looking at knee braces but I am wondering if I should see either my Dr. or an orthopedist. I try not to treat myself but sometimes I can't help it. I am just wary of waiting because I don't want it to worsen.

Glad you both had nice Thanksgivings. Mine was pretty uneventful other than my run.

I am in a similar boat to Chiomaca. The cold and the dark are killing me. Once day I go out and feel awful when I start and the run turns out great. Other days I start off feeling good and the run is awful. I can't loosen up like I do in the summer because it is so cold.

My long run is up to 8.2 miles and that was a struggle. So I am a little in trouble considering I am 39 days from being at Disney. I am just going to do my best this month and get in as many miles as I can and just take it easy for the race. I am currently injury free so that's really what is important.

StayCool- knee pain could be from a bunch of things. It could just be your body getting used to all the work you're doing still. Did you ask your trainer what it might be? Either way, it is smart to modify the workouts in the meantime.

Good luck on increasing your distance. It is hard to be from the northeast and try to exercise outside in the winter. Are you looking forward to getting to the parks at least?

It has been so rainy and gray here that no one wants to do anything. Luckily (insert sarcasm here) I can't see outside while I'm at work so it doesn't effect me. Yay for getting in the circus workout though. Has the new job been interfering with your circus workouts?

I called for a podiatry appointment today and can't get in until the end of January. :( Depending on how things go I may look around for someone that has an opening sooner. I'm also looking at knee braces but I am wondering if I should see either my Dr. or an orthopedist. I try not to treat myself but sometimes I can't help it. I am just wary of waiting because I don't want it to worsen.

Good luck on increasing your distance. It is hard to be from the northeast and try to exercise outside in the winter. Are you looking forward to getting to the parks at least?

I am starting to get on board with going to the doctor sooner rather than later now. It was a huge mistake for me to wait to go. I missed my October race because I waited and it is the reason why I am struggling to badly right now to get back into it. So, I don't see anything wrong with you going and getting everything checked out. Worst case, you find out everything is OK and then you can get back to everything without worrying.

Yes, it is tough. Not only that but with holidays and my wife's lack of organization (not trying to say anything bad about her) I am missing workouts to try and get stuff done. So, I am of course looking forward to getting to Disney. But, knowing how unprepared I am for this race it is making me look forward to it less. I can't explain it but I am not as excited as the ToT trip because I am not ready.

Things are quiet in here. I am just stopping in to say hi. I am kinda bummed out because training is going awful and I am 32 days away from my trip which will likely leave me dead on a road in FL somewhere at this point.

Nobody can help me. Sick kids are now the roadblock to my training. I will hopefully get out tomorrow night since I will have 2 kids home sick with me all day.

So that's all from me. I am just in a panic and figured I would vent here to get it off my chest. :D

Hopefully everyone's holiday stuff is going well from shopping to holiday parties, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter