Is this realistic?

Your mother's issues with body image probably come from her own insecurities that she forced upon you. But telling yourself you are not athletic doesn't seem to be accurate if you were on the varsity swim team. That's a tough sport. I am a terrible swimmer. So maybe you can lose that image of yourself and focus on more positives. There is nothing wrong with having a focus on academics but what I have learned in the last 2 years is, focusing on my health allows me to enjoy the things I love even more because now I have the energy and focus to do so. I have been to Disney twice since I started this lifestyle and unlike previous trips I am not tired or in pain by the end of the day. (Except the day of the marathon of course, those hurt). As a result, I got so much more out of the trips.

Even if your sister doesn't do the race with you, you should still do it. Don't wait for anyone to help you take back your life. Having said that, if you are planning on Wine and Dine I would tell you to be sitting at your computer 10 minutes before registration opens and be ready to go, both of you. It sells out in a 1/2 hour usually.

You seem to have a good plan in place. It's OK to just do the treadmill to get in the habit of exercising. You have to start somewhere and forming good habits is never a bad place to start.

The fact that you have made the decision to change your life is all the encouragement you need. Don't worry about time or anything else just yet. You are doing it and everything else will fall into place. Consistent exercise and smart eating will bring you results very quickly. Eventually you become the workout beast that StayCool has become. :worship: She hasn't given up, even when she struggled with motivation and now look at her.

Hey remember me! I know I've been MIA but work got super crazy and I wasn't really doing anything more than work and sleep. I'm hoping things will slow down now that we finally have a new CEO and I can go back to doing just my job. I also wanted to pop in and see how the marathon went for you Waiting :) We leave in 12 more days! The girls were very excited on Christmas morning when they found out we were going.
Welcome back Dizzy! We were worried that we'd lost you. (They the other two may have worried that I had disappeared, too.)

I've signed us up for a couple of local races (5k in March, 10k in April, 12 miler in September) that are walker-friendly and part of a series with some nice gifts (can't help the hoarding tendencies, I'm a museum person…). Since getting back into town, I've started up on the treadmill and have done at least 30 minutes per day, just to start getting into a habit. It's a slow start, as I'm really just getting used to the treadmill, but it's something.
That's a great way to start! When my mom was working her way into distance running, she set a goal the she would run at least one race every month. She's done that consistently (except for a period where she was injured) for the last three years. It's kind of fun, because I have been able to run several races with her (well, at the same time as, since I'm significantly faster), including two San Francisco Half Marathons, Avengers Half, Avengers 10k, the Tinkerbell 10k, and next year the Tinkerbell Half. I'm a big fan (as everyone here will tell you...I'm a broken record sometimes) of finding running/workout buddies. And just because you feel like you have a long way to go, don't think you can't find people who would work out with you. A lot of local running stores have beginner's groups that start with walking, and there are plenty of non-store connected running groups that do as well. The group my mom runs with has a whole set of walkers, and so does my group, which is national (Team Red, White, and Blue). So run with your sister and find other people to help keep you motivated!

Even if your sister doesn't do the race with you, you should still do it. Don't wait for anyone to help you take back your life. Having said that, if you are planning on Wine and Dine I would tell you to be sitting at your computer 10 minutes before registration opens and be ready to go, both of you. It sells out in a 1/2 hour usually.
Or go through one of the travel agencies. Get on their list early and you don't have to worry about sitting at your computer.

StayCool has become. :worship: She hasn't given up, even when she struggled with motivation and now look at her.
Stay Cool, I am so totally impressed with your motivation this winter!

I really need to try and do this again next year. I am so bummed already. I just love these races so much I have to find a way back to one as quickly as possible.
I am really thinking about going back down to FL for next year, either for marathon weekend or for Star Wars, which I think I might enjoy more.

But, there's a catch...especially if I do the marathon. I won't be able to start training until August at the earliest because in July, there will be a new little firecracker in my house. :cutie: (It's also making the whole Disneyland Paris race a bit problematic...signups aren't until Feb, but I need to decide if I'm going to be comfortable bringing a two month old to Paris (and who would take care of her while I run...well, walk probably.)

Welcome back Dizzy! We were worried that we'd lost you. (They the other two may have worried that I had disappeared, too.)

I assumed you were busy. You have an important job after all.

That's a great way to start! When my mom was working her way into distance running, she set a goal the she would run at least one race every month. She's done that consistently (except for a period where she was injured) for the last three years. It's kind of fun, because I have been able to run several races with her (well, at the same time as, since I'm significantly faster), including two San Francisco Half Marathons, Avengers Half, Avengers 10k, the Tinkerbell 10k, and next year the Tinkerbell Half. I'm a big fan (as everyone here will tell you...I'm a broken record sometimes) of finding running/workout buddies. And just because you feel like you have a long way to go, don't think you can't find people who would work out with you. A lot of local running stores have beginner's groups that start with walking, and there are plenty of non-store connected running groups that do as well. The group my mom runs with has a whole set of walkers, and so does my group, which is national (Team Red, White, and Blue). So run with your sister and find other people to help keep you motivated!

Or go through one of the travel agencies. Get on their list early and you don't have to worry about sitting at your computer.

Stay Cool, I am so totally impressed with your motivation this winter!

I think the important thing to take from Chiomaca's message is, there are many resources out there. There will be sources of inspiration to draw from as you change your lifestyle. It may be us, it may be a running group, it could be something completely different. The point is, this is all new to you. Keep your eyes, ears, and mind open and find what motivates you. Draw from anybody you can that can help push you. Just don't ever give up because you deserve better. Just because you lived your life overweight for so many years does not mean it needs to keep happening.

I am really thinking about going back down to FL for next year, either for marathon weekend or for Star Wars, which I think I might enjoy more.

But, there's a catch...especially if I do the marathon. I won't be able to start training until August at the earliest because in July, there will be a new little firecracker in my house. :cutie: (It's also making the whole Disneyland Paris race a bit problematic...signups aren't until Feb, but I need to decide if I'm going to be comfortable bringing a two month old to Paris (and who would take care of her while I run...well, walk probably.)

It doesn't really matter which one you do. They are all fun!!!! I want to do all of them eventually.

Hi, all

Sorry for butting in -- I just spent the last couple of days reading this entire thread, and I just wanted to thank you all for sharing your journeys. I'm in kind of a similar boat, massively overweight and hoping that a runDisney event will force me to make some much-needed changes. I'm planning to walk more than run (old injury), but I figure that something was better than nothing.

So thank you, and best of luck in future races!

You are not butting in. I'm so glad to meet you. I can't tell you how many threads I used to motivate myself until I didn't need them any more. Getting started was the hardest part. You've got this!!

All you need to do is just cover up your face with something with one of the editing software on your computer. I would love to see the differences in the pictures. Just so I am clear, you are working out 5 days a week now, during the winter? Isn't this the time of the year you struggle with the most? I am glad you found something you love so much. Now figure out the picture thing so I can get a look at these changes.

It was so much fun. I am still tired but I don't care. I normally get nervous before a race but this race I will standing in the middle of these massive crowds (I thought ToT was a big race :scared:) and I was 100% relaxed. I was at peace even with the 26.2 miles that were to follow.

I had my GoPro with me. I got so much video and pics. I plan to make a video at some point. Staying at the Contemporary was an excellent decision. It was so easy getting to the race on the monorail. My only issue is that I normally eat a huge breakfast before a race and I couldn't with a standard room. So I was hungry very quickly after the race began.

Helping my friend through his first marathon was a fun experience as well. He worked hard this year and even though he was very scared at the beginning of this race he powered through and we had fun. He didn't probably seem to have fun during the race but reflecting now I think he really enjoyed it.

I really need to try and do this again next year. I am so bummed already. I just love these races so much I have to find a way back to one as quickly as possible.

I am averaging between 4-5 days depending on life. I think I've gotten addicted to feeling strong. I may not be the strongest person ever but when I'm done I feel like I am! Lol

I'm so glad that you had a good time at Disney. I was worried about you since you were so down about your training.

Thanks! It's been a long time coming to this…I've never been particularly coordinated or athletic, but was (relatively) active as a kid and on the varsity swim team in H.S. Looking at pictures, I was *tiny* but had no idea (my mother, whom I love very much, is generally a great person with the exception of instilling in me some SEVERE body issues). I've never really taken care of myself, academics were always top priority, health be damned. A complete mental breakdown in college really wrecked things. Between the depression and the subsequent medication, I put on over 100 pounds.

I've been picking up the pieces ever since, and things have generally been on an upward trend, with a few setbacks here and there, but attending to physical health was still always on the back burner. Since finding out about the runDisney races, I've gotten it into my mind that it'll give me a concrete goal to work for -- my sister is actually the one that's Disney-obsessed, but I'm all too happy to be her enabler :) So I figured that I could use the Disney aspect to rope her into this with me. We're hoping to sign up for the Wine & Dine event this year.

There's already been progress -- after a year of hedging, I've finally committed. My mom was all too happy to get me a treadmill; I figured that if nothing else, if I'm going to veg in front of the t.v. for a couple of hours each night, I could at least be walking on it. I've signed us up for a couple of local races (5k in March, 10k in April, 12 miler in September) that are walker-friendly and part of a series with some nice gifts (can't help the hoarding tendencies, I'm a museum person…). Since getting back into town, I've started up on the treadmill and have done at least 30 minutes per day, just to start getting into a habit. It's a slow start, as I'm really just getting used to the treadmill, but it's something.

If nothing else, I could go out tomorrow and walk a 5k in under an hour, which I'm using as encouragement. My only concern is that the motivation I've got going now is taking the place of any motivation to finish my dissertation :P

Didn't mean for so much of this to come out! But thank you for being so welcoming. And I'm sorry about the issues with your wife, but it's wonderful that this is helping you through that.

When I started all I could handle was 1/2 a mile and it took me 30 minutes. I remember how proud I was. Looking back I realize how out of shape I really was. But it doesn't matter where you start as long as you start!

Good luck on your dissertation. I don't know if I could have focused on working out and eating right while I finished up grad school. I was way too overwhelmed. You are awesome!

Woohoo!! Congratulations!! Are you excited? It definitely does complicate things though. In a happy way.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! School is most certainly overwhelming, I can't wait until I'm finished.

And congratulations @Chiomaca ! By the way, since the little one would be so young at the time of the Paris trip, you might want to check with your pediatrician before you make plans -- there are some folks who recommend not taking a newborn on a plane (especially a long international flight) until they're a certain age due to the pressurization of the cabin and possibility of picking up airborne germs in a confined space.

I think I've gotten addicted to feeling strong. I may not be the strongest person ever but when I'm done I feel like I am! Lol
You have no idea how proud of you I am to see that in writing!

And congratulations @Chiomaca ! By the way, since the little one would be so young at the time of the Paris trip, you might want to check with your pediatrician before you make plans -- there are some folks who recommend not taking a newborn on a plane (especially a long international flight) until they're a certain age due to the pressurization of the cabin and possibility of picking up airborne germs in a confined space.
Thanks! I did my first international flight at 6 weeks old and so did my brother, so I'm not too worried about that - but I'll probably still pass on the race.

Thanks! I did my first international flight at 6 weeks old and so did my brother, so I'm not too worried about that - but I'll probably still pass on the race.

OK, am I missing something? I thought you were talking about a new dog?

I am averaging between 4-5 days depending on life. I think I've gotten addicted to feeling strong. I may not be the strongest person ever but when I'm done I feel like I am! Lol

I'm so glad that you had a good time at Disney. I was worried about you since you were so down about your training.

When I started all I could handle was 1/2 a mile and it took me 30 minutes. I remember how proud I was. Looking back I realize how out of shape I really was. But it doesn't matter where you start as long as you start!

Good luck on your dissertation. I don't know if I could have focused on working out and eating right while I finished up grad school. I was way too overwhelmed. You are awesome!

Woohoo!! Congratulations!! Are you excited? It definitely does complicate things though. In a happy way.

I am with Chiomaca. I think it is awesome to see the transformation. You sure do seem way more confident even through your writing. It's like a different person talking from just a few months ago.

And you are always correct about something else. It doesn't matter where you start, as long as you start. So, Beatlecat42, just start. Find something you love and start. It doesn't matter how fast you are or how strong you are. All that matters is every day you are a better version of you than you are the day before.

And StayCool, I was worried about me too because of my training. Granted we did it slow. It was his first marathon and I didn't want to push him so we went to have fun. It still hurt but I have been listening to some of the video I took as I get ready to put a video together. I felt like I was having a blast and I can even hear it in the video. It was just so much fun.

Ok. Popping in really quick to attempt a photo. I don't have anything formal for before I started running and Zumba so you can figure I was a little bigger than the before photo. Still a work in progress. Here goes nothing.

And yes that's my TOT shirt. Lol I take the same picture every month.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 36
Ok. Popping in really quick to attempt a photo. I don't have anything formal for before I started running and Zumba so you can figure I was a little bigger than the before photo. Still a work in progress. Here goes nothing.

And yes that's my TOT shirt. Lol I take the same picture every month.

StayCool, that is a HUGE difference and from the sounds of it the majority of those differences happened in the last couple months. I can't wait to see the pictures in 6 more months if you keep up what you're doing.

Thanks. I'm a work in progress. I'm just glad to find something that I really enjoy that has a lot of variety.

I am with Chiomaca. I think it is awesome to see the transformation. You sure do seem way more confident even through your writing. It's like a different person talking from just a few months ago.

And you are always correct about something else. It doesn't matter where you start, as long as you start. So, Beatlecat42, just start. Find something you love and start. It doesn't matter how fast you are or how strong you are. All that matters is every day you are a better version of you than you are the day before.

And StayCool, I was worried about me too because of my training. Granted we did it slow. It was his first marathon and I didn't want to push him so we went to have fun. It still hurt but I have been listening to some of the video I took as I get ready to put a video together. I felt like I was having a blast and I can even hear it in the video. It was just so much fun.

There is nothing wrong with a slow marathon. It is more than most people will ever do in their life. So glad that you had a good time.

StayCool, that is a HUGE difference and from the sounds of it the majority of those differences happened in the last couple months. I can't wait to see the pictures in 6 more months if you keep up what you're doing.

One foot in front of another. Most of the changes were from the middle of September to December. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum. Right now things are slowing down a bit. I will post another set right before I go on my cruise in July.

At the gate waiting to board! I'll post all about it when I get back :)

Chiomaca - CONGRATS!!! :)

Thanks. I'm a work in progress. I'm just glad to find something that I really enjoy that has a lot of variety.

There is nothing wrong with a slow marathon. It is more than most people will ever do in their life. So glad that you had a good time.

One foot in front of another. Most of the changes were from the middle of September to December. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum. Right now things are slowing down a bit. I will post another set right before I go on my cruise in July.

I have no problem with a slow marathon. And you are right. Only a small % of people in the world will ever finish a marathon. And no matter how slow you go, they are still hard.

What is slowing for you, the workouts or the weight loss? You certainly don't seem like it is one foot in front of another. It feels lately to me like a locomotive steaming down the tracks. :D

OK Ladies. I made a video of the marathon if anyone wants to watch it. It was my first time using the GoPro or editing so take that into consideration if you decide to watch.

I tried to show some stuff I haven't seen yet on other runDisney videos. I really wanted to show the size of these events and how many people are there. I think I did that.

Sitting in the waiting room to see the podiatrist to get inserts for my shoes. I've put it off long enough. Hopefully it will help minimize some of my knee issues. If not I'm sure it won't hurt!

Hope all is well with everyone. Waiting I will have to wait until I have time on my laptop to watch your video but I will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter