Is this realistic?

Just so you know, not many people look forward to their workouts. I often dread them. I don't particularly like waking up at 5 am on the days I need to get them in early. I don't really enjoy running in the dark now that it is getting dark early again. I often have to convince myself to do them because I know I will be mad if I don't. So you are not alone. But, just like you, I usually feel so much better once I start and I always feel better when I am done.

I went to the gym after work tonight. I ran on the treadmill. My foot didn't hurt nearly as bad on the treadmill. I took it easy. I need to start working my way back into it. I will take it easy just to maintain my fitness until I see the doctor.

I do look forward to group activity type workouts. I'm just easily distracted from doing solo stuff. I'm too good at making excuses I guess. I do have to talk myself into going to boot camp a little but not like going outside to run or anything.

I know you're still working out on the treadmill, but you might do well to lay off the running entirely for a week or two and focusing on the P90X workouts to help stregthen the core and stabilizing muscles and let the feet rest some more.

I think the better you get, the more you will enjoy it. Like Waiting2goback said, most days I really hate getting up to run. And some days I decide to sleep in, but more often I force myself out and enjoy it after I get warmed up. And yeah, it often feels better after I stop than it did while I was doing it :-)

Did my final long run yesterday. The National Capital 20 Miler, which was a trail race along the Potomac River and C&O Canal. I think I may have been shortchanging myself in expectations, but since I've done a lot of running in the heat and with either dogs or slower partners, maybe that's not surprising. My planned goal for MCM was 10:55, but I sustained 10:30 over 20 miles, even though the last half of the race was uphill (the first half was downhill, of course). The advantage is that MCM's big uphills are all in the first 8 miles, with the exception of the final uphill. We'll see...I have a month to injure myself!

I agree that you (Waiting2goback) should probably just avoid running at all for now. There are other things you can do that aren't as hard on your feet.

I really enjoy the workout after I am done. lol I do enjoy it some while I am doing it but I am always wishing I was able to do better. And I know I will get better, but patience is not one of my virtues. I have seen an improvement in the last 2 weeks. I can almost breathe. lol My pants are getting looser already which is amazing. I took a measurement around my waist today so I will have that for comparison.

No injuring yourself! You've got this and that is an awesome time! :)

I have been taking it easy. I will hit the gym tomorrow and do some stuff with no impact. I need to keep my fitness up for when I can start running again. I do feel nervous though that I won't be ready to finish a marathon in January if I don't start soon.

I have also realized I love running. It sounds weird because I never thought I would say that. I thought I liked the bike more but it is not the case.

I get that you are concerned about not finishing in January but if you don't give it a break you might not even be able to start. :(

Last night was the first Monday night at boot camp and my arms are not working well today. This week will hopefully be the first week I go 3 times and that is the plan for the month of October except when I am out of town next week for 2 nights. I really like the fact that the trainers push me to do more than I thought I could. I'm working with weights which is something that I haven't done before. I'm looking forward to being less sore though. All in good time I suppose.

You won't injure yourself. Don't think that way. Just be smart and go enjoy the MCM. I can't wait until I get to run that race. That's a good time though. You may have answered this before, I don't recall. Do you ever plan to run Boston or is that not interesting to you?
I've reached the post-last long run period where all the aches and pains suddenly seem like ominous signs. I'll get over it. Boston would be cool, but right now marathon training is so demanding of my time, that I will probably take a break after this one and focus on half marathons for a year or so. That should get my speed up and maybe the long runs won't take quite so long. And I'm pretty realistic about my ability to BQ and my lack of interest in fund raising.

I'm just easily distracted from doing solo stuff. I'm too good at making excuses I guess. I do have to talk myself into going to boot camp a little but not like going outside to run or anything.
I think I am more likely to run now that I feel guilty about my dog not getting the exercise he needs. I hadn't taken him on a run since last Tuesday, so even though I didn't get to bed until after 11 (foster dog slipped his collar and it took me more than an hour and the help of two convenient policemen in the area to re-collar the bugger), I dragged my tired legs out for 4 miles.

I get that you are concerned about not finishing in January but if you don't give it a break you might not even be able to start.
What she said!

I do look forward to group activity type workouts. I'm just easily distracted from doing solo stuff. I'm too good at making excuses I guess. I do have to talk myself into going to boot camp a little but not like going outside to run or anything.

I agree that you (Waiting2goback) should probably just avoid running at all for now. There are other things you can do that aren't as hard on your feet.

I really enjoy the workout after I am done. lol I do enjoy it some while I am doing it but I am always wishing I was able to do better. And I know I will get better, but patience is not one of my virtues. I have seen an improvement in the last 2 weeks. I can almost breathe. lol My pants are getting looser already which is amazing. I took a measurement around my waist today so I will have that for comparison.

No injuring yourself! You've got this and that is an awesome time! :)

I get that you are concerned about not finishing in January but if you don't give it a break you might not even be able to start. :(

Last night was the first Monday night at boot camp and my arms are not working well today. This week will hopefully be the first week I go 3 times and that is the plan for the month of October except when I am out of town next week for 2 nights. I really like the fact that the trainers push me to do more than I thought I could. I'm working with weights which is something that I haven't done before. I'm looking forward to being less sore though. All in good time I suppose.

I was at the gym when I got the email you posted. I was standing on the treadmill and I got off. I already done the ARC trainer. I did 10 minutes on the stair climber as well. I was just going to do some running as well and I changed my mind. I'll hold off until I see what the doctor tells me. Plus the stair climber was a huge eye opener. Wow, you think you're in shape until you get on that thing. And my hip flexors are sore now from that so it might be a blessing I was forced to use it. It might be great cross-training.

I understand the patience thing, or lack thereof. I am the same way. But, you can't expect to neglect yourself all those years and be ale to jump right in and keep up. It's kinda like me expecting to go from the couch to qualifying for Boston in a year. It's a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes1

Hooray for looser pants and almost being able to breath in just 2 weeks. Imagine where you will be in 2 months. By Christmas you might not be recognizable to those you don't see frequently. Keep up the good work!!!!

I think working with weights will be the difference you needed. Muscle burns more fat. As you add muscle weight your body will burn calories even while you sleep.

I've reached the post-last long run period where all the aches and pains suddenly seem like ominous signs. I'll get over it. Boston would be cool, but right now marathon training is so demanding of my time, that I will probably take a break after this one and focus on half marathons for a year or so. That should get my speed up and maybe the long runs won't take quite so long. And I'm pretty realistic about my ability to BQ and my lack of interest in fund raising.

I think I am more likely to run now that I feel guilty about my dog not getting the exercise he needs. I hadn't taken him on a run since last Tuesday, so even though I didn't get to bed until after 11 (foster dog slipped his collar and it took me more than an hour and the help of two convenient policemen in the area to re-collar the bugger), I dragged my tired legs out for 4 miles.

What she said!

I was thinking of no marathons next year as well. The training does take a lot more time. And I may just focus on 10K's and 1/2's and working on my speed so I can eventually get to the point where I can qualify. I really want to run Boston at some point but like you, I don't get excited about the fundraising.

Having said that, I may end up signing up for one and just changing my goals.

I have been going to the gym after work to hit the ARC Trainer and stair climber. I get home late which is why I didn't post last night. Good news, I did a mile on the treadmill tonight, just as a test. I know, I shouldn't have but I couldn't help it. Good news is, I took it easy and it didn't hurt at all.

Hope you are all doing well!

Nothing new to report. I have just been working and hitting the gym, trying to focus more on cross training. I may do a few miles on the treadmill tomorrow as my foot hasn't been hurting but I'll decide at the gym.

My friend at work that started running is now considering doing the marathon with me. I have been teasing him all week. I will have an extra bed in my room so I started by saying he should just come with me since he has an AP and started joking about him doing the race too. He was scared, of course, like my post are when considering a marathon but I told him we will be doing it for fun so no pressure. He is doing a 1/2 marathon tomorrow (his first) and he will decide after he finishes that.

But even if he just goes with me, and doesn't run, it would be fun cuz he is a huge Disney fan. It will be fun to do the parks with him. We are like little kids at work when we talk about Disney.

My friend at work that started running is now considering doing the marathon with me. I have been teasing him all week. I will have an extra bed in my room so I started by saying he should just come with me since he has an AP and started joking about him doing the race too. He was scared, of course, like my post are when considering a marathon but I told him we will be doing it for fun so no pressure. He is doing a 1/2 marathon tomorrow (his first) and he will decide after he finishes that.
That would be great! It's so much more fun when you have someone to run with/near. Are you guys able to run together? When I did Goofy this year, I ran the Half on my own as a real race and then ran the Full with one of the Mickey Milers slower groups....we took 6 hours to run the thing, but we played the entire time - stopped for all sorts of random pictures (some with characters, many with things like the sleigh or the stocks or a set of topiary) and rode Expedition Everest. You guys could agree to a rough pace and do it together for fun.

I did 2.5 pain-free mils this morning. It's a small victory but I'll take it.
Congrats! That's good news. You've got plenty of time before January to build back up, but I'd be wary about running the other one.

In other news, I'm tapering and getting lazy, which is a bad combo. The cold, rainy weather this weekend combined with a visit from my brother means I haven't run in days. Tomorrow it's back to the roads, and if I'm lucky it will be a little warmer.

That would be great! It's so much more fun when you have someone to run with/near. Are you guys able to run together? When I did Goofy this year, I ran the Half on my own as a real race and then ran the Full with one of the Mickey Milers slower groups....we took 6 hours to run the thing, but we played the entire time - stopped for all sorts of random pictures (some with characters, many with things like the sleigh or the stocks or a set of topiary) and rode Expedition Everest. You guys could agree to a rough pace and do it together for fun.

Congrats! That's good news. You've got plenty of time before January to build back up, but I'd be wary about running the other one.

In other news, I'm tapering and getting lazy, which is a bad combo. The cold, rainy weather this weekend combined with a visit from my brother means I haven't run in days. Tomorrow it's back to the roads, and if I'm lucky it will be a little warmer.

I am faster than him but with my foot I have no desire to push it hard. January is all about fun so I will go back to his corral and run with him. I am still not running my other marathon, which is less than 2 weeks away. Nope, I am going to be smart about it for a change.

It is harder to stay motivated once the weather starts turning cold again. It is so much easier to stay in a warm bed an extra few minutes. But, I know you will do the right thing and get back on track.

Last edited:
I did 2.5 pain-free mils this morning. It's a small victory but I'll take it.

:yay: Woohoo!!!

Winter is normally the hardest for me too. That's why I had to get my butt into some kind of routine before I sat on it all winter... Hope things warm up down there for you. It did up here a little. We are back into the 60's during the day thankfully!

He signed up today. I am faster than him but with my foot I have no desire to push it hard. January is all about fun so I will go back to his corral and run with him. I am still not running my other marathon, which is less than 2 weeks away. Nope, I am going to be smart about it for a change.

It is harder to stay motivated once the weather starts turning cold again. It is so much easier to stay in a warm bed an extra few minutes. But, I know you will do the right thing and get back on track.

Yay for having someone to run with. You will have a good time. :)

Sorry I've been missing. Last weekend was homecoming and DS plays peewee football so we were completely wrapped up in that. I went to bootcamp last Wednesday and then they were closed for the rest of the week. I went back last night and it was all arms; weights, push ups and planks. I'm leaving for a conference today and won't be back to class until Friday. It kind of bums me out to miss Wednesday because I'm looking forward to them but I will pick up where I left off.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Sorry I've been missing. Last weekend was homecoming and DS plays peewee football so we were completely wrapped up in that. I went to bootcamp last Wednesday and then they were closed for the rest of the week. I went back last night and it was all arms; weights, push ups and planks. I'm leaving for a conference today and won't be back to class until Friday. It kind of bums me out to miss Wednesday because I'm looking forward to them but I will pick up where I left off.

Hope everyone has a good week!

It's OK to be missing for a while, life gets busy. Just as long as you keep going to your workouts that is. And you seem to be from what you are saying. I am glad to hear you have gotten to the point where you are not happy to be missing workouts. That's excellent news. But you will get back to it after your trip.

I have a sick kid this week so I had to stay home from work today and most likely tomorrow. It also means missing workouts, which I hate but oh well, it has to happen. My doctor's appointment is next week and then I plan to start getting back to the training.

He signed up today. I am faster than him but with my foot I have no desire to push it hard. January is all about fun so I will go back to his corral and run with him. I am still not running my other marathon, which is less than 2 weeks away. Nope, I am going to be smart about it for a change.
I'm proud of you!

Yeah, the animals can con me into staying in bed longer. I did get out of bed this morning, we did about 4.5 miles...tapering is fun.

It kind of bums me out to miss Wednesday because I'm looking forward to them but I will pick up where I left off.
I'm proud of you, too! Nice to see you missing the class.

I'm proud of you!

Thank you. It is never a bad thing to hear.

I am feeling so sluggish and losing motivation because I have not been able to run. I was home from work again because my daughter is still sick. So I couldn't get to the gym again. But this 3 weeks of not running is really catching up to me and I have to start back, even if it means pain in the foot.

I am just happier when I am running. It is still strange for me to say that but it is true.

Where is everyone? I've been a little slack, only got in two week day runs last week but I had a pretty good run at the Army Ten Miler. I didn't quite PR...surprisingly I ran the much more hilly Baltimore Ten Miler a few minutes faster. I attribute that to the fact that I was trying to run close to marathon pace. Anyway....two weeks until Marine Corps...

I know, I have been slacking too. I have been going to the gym after work and just doing some of the ARC Climber machine and even some running on the treadmill. So far not too much running but it has all been pain free. Tomorrow is my foot doctor appointment. I have Thursday off from work so I am planning to do my normal loop and get back on the road. But by the time I get home from the gym I don't feel like getting on the computer.

Good job with your ten miler and hopefully you are ready for MCM. I really want to do that race. I am jealous.

I think we lost Dizzy by the way. She hasn't been on here in a while. StayCool is travelling this week if I remember correctly so hopefully she is back soon.

Just popping in really quick. I'm glad that the 10 miler went well Chiomaca! Waiting- did you go to the doctor? Glad you are feeling better though.

I was away most of last week for a work conference. I got my Monday bootcamp in and then one on Friday. So far this week I've gone Monday and tonight so I'm on track for what I'm trying to do. My eating habits are a work in progress but I'm down about 4 lbs since starting. Life is crazy busy right now but should get better in a couple weeks I hope!

I will try to be better about checking in. Have a good night!!

Just popping in really quick. I'm glad that the 10 miler went well Chiomaca! Waiting- did you go to the doctor? Glad you are feeling better though.

I was away most of last week for a work conference. I got my Monday bootcamp in and then one on Friday. So far this week I've gone Monday and tonight so I'm on track for what I'm trying to do. My eating habits are a work in progress but I'm down about 4 lbs since starting. Life is crazy busy right now but should get better in a couple weeks I hope!

I will try to be better about checking in. Have a good night!!

It's awesome news that you are still getting in your workouts. I'll take you not posting here as often if it means you are using your time for that. :worship:

I had my doctor's appointment today for my foot. He took all kinds of X-rays. Everything is in good shape. He confirmed the PF diagnosis but unlike the doctor in my PCP office that I saw, this doctor told me to NOT STOP RUNNING. He told me I need to stretch more because my calves are really strong so they are tight. So if I stretch them out it will release the pressure on my PF. He said if the pain doesn't go away there is a surgery they can do to the calf that releases the pressure and it would only put me out of commission for about 2 weeks. So if I have to I will do it in January once the race is done.

I have tomorrow off and if my son goes to school (he was sick today) I will be running!!! I went to the running store today and got some stuff. It was a good day!!! I have a lot of catching up to do. But I will be smart about it, don't worry. I am just excited not to be running on the treadmill anymore. Although I will still need to some days but I plan to mostly be outside.

I did my stretching tonight and my legs are so tight. I think I really need to get back into Yoga more consistently. It will strengthen my legs and core and also stretch me out. I guess I need to learn to love it.

And YAY for your 4 lbs. Stop focusing on what you're doing wrong (diet) and keep doing what you're doing right. Keep showing up to your classes and the diet will follow because sooner or later your body will crave better foods. Baby steps. Be consistent with one thing until it becomes a habit and then work in the other stuff.

I got out and did 4.5 miles today. The weather was a perfectly sunny 50' which is great for running. I took it easy but I just felt so excited to be back outside and back at it. All my ankle tendons and ligaments are sore already so tomorrow should be interesting but overall it felt good to run pain-free for the first time in months. I'll take tomorrow off from running and hopefully do a few miles on Saturday. I just need to get caught up quickly as it's only 85 more days until I am in Disney.

Good job on getting your workouts in! And the weight loss :-)

I had my doctor's appointment today for my foot. He took all kinds of X-rays. Everything is in good shape. He confirmed the PF diagnosis but unlike the doctor in my PCP office that I saw, this doctor told me to NOT STOP RUNNING. He told me I need to stretch more because my calves are really strong so they are tight. So if I stretch them out it will release the pressure on my PF. He said if the pain doesn't go away there is a surgery they can do to the calf that releases the pressure and it would only put me out of commission for about 2 weeks. So if I have to I will do it in January once the race is done.

I did my stretching tonight and my legs are so tight. I think I really need to get back into Yoga more consistently. It will strengthen my legs and core and also stretch me out. I guess I need to learn to love it.
That's great news! Did he give you stretches or other exercises to do? I found the calf raises and foam rolling on my calves were really helpful.

It's been a long week, and I haven't gotten in much in the way of workouts but I did get a couple of good runs in and today I made it to a circus conditioning class as my last big workout before the marathon. 6 days....

That's great news! Did he give you stretches or other exercises to do? I found the calf raises and foam rolling on my calves were really helpful.

It's been a long week, and I haven't gotten in much in the way of workouts but I did get a couple of good runs in and today I made it to a circus conditioning class as my last big workout before the marathon. 6 days....

Yes, he gave me stretches and I have been doing them. And they hurt, which just shows how tight I am. So far I am pain free during and after my runs. Well, I still feel it a little when I sit for a while and get back up but overall I am good.

Today was supposed to be my marathon. I'm a little bummed, even though I know I did the right thing. I'm just kicking myself for not going to the doctor sooner. I might have been able to fix it and get in shape to do my race. Oh well. Lesson learned I guess. Instead I did 4 miles on the treadmill but it was in the high 20's and low 30's today. We had snow flurries today. :headache::headache:

I can't wait to hear how your race was. Oh, did you sign up for the DL Paris race yet? I heard there were troubles and the registration was delayed? It was also brought up that that race is not on the schedule next year, which is weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter