I'm Sick of it!!

Fortunately, we have not heard much fuss from people about heading to WDW. My family went there a few times while I was growing up, and my brother & SIL (with kids older than ours) even owned a condo in Kissimmee for a few years because they go there so often.

OTOH, we have had a number of people completely confused about our other family vacation spot in Vermont. It's a family resort that is in many ways completely opposite Disney: totally laid back, kids with counselors most of the day, very quiet, peaceful, and off the grid. You are not even allowed to use a cell phone within sight or hearing of another guest! Needless to say, absolute relaxation is definitely an option, but so are mountain biking, swimming, and many other activities. A number of coworkers and even some relatives could not fathom that we would want to head NORTH during the summer!

When faced with a choice between Disney and Vermont for a summer trip a few years ago, our sons (now 11 and 13) had no hesitation: Vermont. Friends they had met on previous trips would be there during our week, and they wanted to make even more. They had a great time, did things you can't do anywhere else, and will remember those trips the rest of their lives. But when we surprised them with a return to Disney several weeks later, they realized that both places, though completely different, were magical in their own way. We have since gotten to the point that the boys have outgrown Vermont, but I think we will be going to WDW until--at least--they are grown and on their own.

So if anyone else doesn't understand our vacation choices, that's their loss. :)

My Son was 14 months old first time. Friends said wait till he would remember the trip, I said why, I'll remember.

20+ years later we still have the photo of him kissing Minnie's nose!

Everytime I told someone we wanted to take my son for his 2nd or 3rd birthday we got the same reaction. I also always said that I would remember and normally was just meet with a whatever attitude.
With two previous college program CM parents, it really is amazing he hasn't been already.
People who don't get the magic of Disney just don't seem to get it.pixiedust:

People dont understand there is much more to do at WDW. A lot of people have this preconcived notion that WDW only consist of going to the parks. But if you look beyond the parks there is a lot of other things to do. They don't understand its also a great place to go and relax. You know that you are getting high quality service be it with the hotel accomodations, food quality, or customer service.

So what if the think you are crazy for going to WDW a lot. At least we enjoy ourselves.

My FIL reaction to us taking our 2 yr almost 3 yr old neice was, "why take her she won't remember anything" I said, "thats okay because you see she fly's for free, eats for free, gets into the parks for free. So if she doesn't remember anything about this trip we have spent a dime to take her and will simply take her again when she is older". He shut up and never said anything.

Here is an interesting article
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/travel/disney-travel-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Even my immediate family thinks I'm crazy for doing so much planning for Disney trips. Well, they think I'm crazy and then they think I'm slightly less crazy when all of my planning saves us so much time and money while getting to do everything we want in four days. People think I'm crazy for loving Disney and tell me to "grow up." I'm never going to become their definition of grown up. I'm going to live and die a Disney addict and there is nothing they can do about it.

Even my immediate family thinks I'm crazy for doing so much planning for Disney trips. Well, they think I'm crazy and then they think I'm slightly less crazy when all of my planning saves us so much time and money while getting to do everything we want in four days. People think I'm crazy for loving Disney and tell me to "grow up." I'm never going to become their definition of grown up. I'm going to live and die a Disney addict and there is nothing they can do about it.

MY Sentiments exactly! My family is the same way but once we get through the first day at Disney they are all over me thanking me for such great planning. As far as growing up...what did Peter say? I'll never grow up not me!:rotfl:

One of our first trips they were all whining at me at having to get up early, and why are we doing this and that, and then we were the family of the day at DHS and got to open the park.
And then, we ate all our free food, including fancy steaks.
[We're a mac and cheese and hamburger budget family.]
And I was like "How much are you loving me NOW???" :rotfl2:
After that, they no longer question me or my "laminated list of complete power."
pixiedust:

I guess I still don't get why anyone needs someone else to ratify their vacation plans, or gives a fleeting consideration to what anyone else thinks about them. If someone doesn't like that I'm going to WDW, it raises the immediate question of, "so what?" If someone doesn't like my WDW plans, it reminds me of a quote from the venerable Hawkeye Pierce of M*A*S*H, "The instrument has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to that remark."

Someone I know just spent three weeks in Australia. Power to 'em. Couldn't interest me less. But if that floats their boat, great. If Disney floats any one else's vacation boat, that's great, too...if taking two weeks and vegging out on your sofa watching movies is your idea of a great vacation, that's awesome.

Freedom is a wonderful thing. I can't imagine someone else's criticism of my plans rationalizing my allowing them to live in my head rent-free as a result.

We get the same thing......"AGAIN?? You just went last year!!!"
Truth is, if we could afford it we'd probably go twice a year. ;)
Honestly, I don't even like to mention our plans anymore for this very reason.

DisneyMom5 said:
One of our first trips they were all whining at me at having to get up early, and why are we doing this and that, and then we were the family of the day at DHS and got to open the park.
And then, we ate all our free food, including fancy steaks.
[We're a mac and cheese and hamburger budget family.]
And I was like "How much are you loving me NOW???" :rotfl2:
After that, they no longer question me or my "laminated list of complete power."
pixiedust:

I agree with all the above and we are one if those families that plan out our trips months in advance. (We are planning on sept this year and already talking about next year or the year after, lol). However I must bow to you oh Queen...."laminated list if complete power"!!! I must train under you!!!! Please allow me to be your lowly servant!!! I beg of thee!

My fiance is a huge Disney fan and is a DVC Member and a D23 member, plus we have Annual Passes and we are getting married in WDW in November. When I was younger I went to WDW with family, but it was just another theme park to me. I never really paid much attention to the atmosphere or the magic. Since meeting my fiance we have gone twice and will be going again in May for a week, then back again in November for our wedding. I really enjoy going now, because there are so many things to do and see, and each trip there is something different. There is something special about seeing her face light up everytime we enter MK for the first time on our trips. Plus seeing little children get excited about seeing Mickey, or watching adults act like children is so cool. WDW is truely a magical place and I have no poblems going every year or even twice a year if we can afford to. For those people who hate Disney, they have no imagination or the ability to have fun. If they don't want to go then that is their problem. I don't care what they think or have to say, because its not their money or their decision to go, its mine. I am going to go and have fun everytime. I can't wait for us to have kids and be able to share in the magic with them. Those are memories I am definitely looking forward to.

I agree with all the above and we are one if those families that plan out our trips months in advance. (We are planning on sept this year and already talking about next year or the year after, lol). However I must bow to you oh Queen...."laminated list if complete power"!!! I must train under you!!!! Please allow me to be your lowly servant!!! I beg of thee!

Part of the fun is nurturing your own obsession. ;)
But I will give you a blessing on your way...Go forth and plan, my friend. Disney awaits you.

I guess I still don't get why anyone needs someone else to ratify their vacation plans, or gives a fleeting consideration to what anyone else thinks about them. If someone doesn't like that I'm going to WDW, it raises the immediate question of, "so what?" If someone doesn't like my WDW plans, it reminds me of a quote from the venerable Hawkeye Pierce of M*A*S*H, "The instrument has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to that remark."

Someone I know just spent three weeks in Australia. Power to 'em. Couldn't interest me less. But if that floats their boat, great. If Disney floats any one else's vacation boat, that's great, too...if taking two weeks and vegging out on your sofa watching movies is your idea of a great vacation, that's awesome.

Freedom is a wonderful thing. I can't imagine someone else's criticism of my plans rationalizing my allowing them to live in my head rent-free as a result.

Thank you for posting this-- it really makes a lot of sense, and can be applied to any situation where one feels the need to explain themselves, because you feel like you are being judged. If someone is happy doing what they want, why make any negative comments? Unfortunately, there are a lot more close minded people in the world than I thought, and nosey too! :sad2:

I figure I can go to Disney whenever I need to:) I have taken many children to Disney world including my 5 year old DGD and a few of my sister's grandchildren...The way I look at it, I don't drink, smoke, gamble, I go to church and tithe, so if I want to go to Disney it's my business and no one else's..By the way, my husband doesn't say anything.. he has gone on a Disney cruise with me and most likely we will do a cruise to celebrate our 40th anniversary in 2 years...that's just my 2cents work..

To me people just dont get that there is much more than just rides.

They dont get all the shows, food and such.

I really dont care what people think I love Disney.

Stumbled across this thread....

I have a coworker who went to Universal a few years ago and when she hears I am going back to Disney she REPEATEDLY tells me that I Need to go to Universal. (Honestly I have thought about it and suggested to DH but he and and both are happy to stick with Disney) Anyhow, I have to repeatedly say to her we are Disney people. she is relentless. I find people just need to find a better way to express themselves or keep their comments to themselves.

I use to go to Universal a lot when I was younger and yes it was cool, but the aura at Disney is so much better. From my experience Disney Cast Members go out of their way to make you feel welcome, while at Universal it wasn't the same for me. I did enjoy Universal but I would rather go to Disney. Just my preference and for people who don't enjoy Disney it's because they don't understand it or try to have a bad time.

Stumbled across this thread....

I have a coworker who went to Universal a few years ago and when she hears I am going back to Disney she REPEATEDLY tells me that I Need to go to Universal. (Honestly I have thought about it and suggested to DH but he and and both are happy to stick with Disney) Anyhow, I have to repeatedly say to her we are Disney people. she is relentless. I find people just need to find a better way to express themselves or keep their comments to themselves.

Your friend probably just had a really great time at Universal and wants you to experience it. I encourage people to try Universal all the time.:upsidedow
I really love them both.

I generally just tell people we"re going to Florida. I really love everything Florida has to offer Disney, Universal, and of course my all time favorite DCL.

I use to go to Universal a lot when I was younger and yes it was cool, but the aura at Disney is so much better. From my experience Disney Cast Members go out of their way to make you feel welcome, while at Universal it wasn't the same for me. I did enjoy Universal but I would rather go to Disney. Just my preference and for people who don't enjoy Disney it's because they don't understand it or try to have a bad time.

Your friend probably just had a really great time at Universal and wants you to experience it. I encourage people to try Universal all the time.:upsidedow
I really love them both.

I generally just tell people we"re going to Florida. I really love everything Florida has to offer Disney, Universal, and of course my all time favorite DCL.
:lovestruc:cloud9: Love, love, love DCL.

We also enjoy USO but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is still crazy in love with WDW. I would say to try it when you're ready for something different. Don't do it for someone else. Otherwise you'll only spend the whole time comparing to WDW & wind up disappointed. True, it's not WDW but then again it's not trying to be. If you ever do try it, be sure to stay onsite at a Universal hotel. We didn't the 1st time and it was all kind of "meh". We went back later after a friend told me about room keys & express lines and we loved it. The parks are an easy walk from the hotels (or water taxi) and by showing your room key you can skip all the regular lines. It's kind of like having an unlimited fast pass. :cool1: On our last visit they changed it slightly that now you use your room key at the hotel to print an express line ID card that you show in the parks and can keep your real room key more secured/less accessible.
Either way, one you try it, you're instantly spoiled and even a 15 min line seems ridiculously long. :snooty: :lmao:

I get this crap all the time. The worst is my SIL. I find that the people who hate disney are the ones who don't do any research and just show up there. Def not people who would search for forum sites totally dedicated to disney ;)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I think most of the haters are just jealous we are happy and have found a place we love. They always think it costs a fortune, but we stay in value resorts with discounts. Until they are paying for my vacation, they don't get a vote. My DD16 asked to go back again this year. Having a place a teen wants to hang with mom, priceless! I also love the beach, cruises, etc. When we can do the beach and Disney, it is awesome, but if I can only pick one, it is WDW. When people say you are going there again?! I tell them it's ok, I'm not taking them! Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter