I'm Sick of it!!

Love this thread. I grew up going to Disney, 1st time I was 2 & we went every or every other year since then. Was with some girlfriends last week talking about one of them & they were relating one of them not starting smoking again after she has her baby to me never being able to go to disney again, cause Disney is my addiction. I'm like WHAT? Sorry, Disney isn't unhealthy for me & one of them said its not normal for an adult to like Disney as much as I do. Lol! I know people who have way more issues than my like for Disney. We just heard yesterday Disney waived rofr, so we're waiting to close on our purchase into the dvc because my husband & I feel our kids are old enough now to go every year.:)
We tried breaking away from disney once...went on a rc cruise for our 1 yr anniversary 9 yrs ago. Just not for me. Hurricane season, rocky seas, i got sick...When we got back to the airport i was all upset because i saw the Disney store & that we didnt go. Now we know, why ruin a good thing? You know what you like, stick with it.

;)I agree with the posters that it seems to come mostly from people who have never ever been to WDW and think of it in very narrow terms! I've heard it ALL over the years--sometimes gracious, sometimes downright rude--but they also are fascinated:scratchin by the fact our kids still want to go on vacation with us (and yes, they pay their share). I've learned to not care about the debbie-downers. We are very happy we get to do what we want and we want WaltDisneyWorldpixiedust:

I am a childcare provider. I care for 6 children in my home,I have 4 grown children and 2 grandsons. Two years ago I decided to start taking my birthday week off in March. I chose to go to Disney World with my husband -no children.You would have thought from peoples reactions I had lost my mind.We had a good time stayed at Poly and used the deluxe meal plan. It was good fun.My husband humored me and enjoyed all the resteraunts. The next year we went to Atlantic beach .The beach was ok but not as much to do as Disney .This year I looked at a lot of differant places .I decided to try POR and eagerly made reservation for all differant resteraunts again a good time.The parents of my daycare rolled their eyes .I tried to tell them how less streesful Disney can be without kids and how I do love children (thankfully ).Also I have been reading Disney stories for 35 = years.This month I have decided to book a 40th Anniversary trip to GrandFloridian for a long weekend. Where else can you enjoy so many differant styles of hotels and resteraunts.I just say each to there own and have fun,Next is my 60th birthday trip next March ,I hope to stay at animal kingdom for that . Nan

I am a childcare provider. I care for 6 children in my home,I have 4 grown children and 2 grandsons. Two years ago I decided to start taking my birthday week off in March. I chose to go to Disney World with my husband -no children.You would have thought from peoples reactions I had lost my mind.We had a good time stayed at Poly and used the deluxe meal plan. It was good fun.My husband humored me and enjoyed all the resteraunts. The next year we went to Atlantic beach .The beach was ok but not as much to do as Disney .This year I looked at a lot of differant places .I decided to try POR and eagerly made reservation for all differant resteraunts again a good time.The parents of my daycare rolled their eyes .I tried to tell them how less streesful Disney can be without kids and how I do love children (thankfully ).Also I have been reading Disney stories for 35 = years.This month I have decided to book a 40th Anniversary trip to GrandFloridian for a long weekend. Where else can you enjoy so many differant styles of hotels and resteraunts.I just say each to there own and have fun,Next is my 60th birthday trip next March ,I hope to stay at animal kingdom for that . Nan

All power to ya!
My wife and I took a childless trip to Disney when she turned 30. We had never had a honeymoon really, and she was turning 30, so we did an "adult" trip. Food and Wine Festival, Halloween Horror Nights over at Universal... and yes, Mickey's Not So Scary, just the two of us. We honestly had a blast and only felt the slightest twinge of guilt :)

it never bothers me that people don't like Disney...it's few and far between that i run into such person anyway.

i get to laugh at my buddy cause we we used to get the business fromt them year after year on 'why do we go back every year'. then they finally took the plunge and have been going every year since. the great part of it all is they go once a year and then he'll say 'that's it for a few years'...then a few months later his wife and kids are begging to go back and he trys to down play it.

it never bothers me that people don't like Disney...it's few and far between that i run into such person anyway.

i get to laugh at my buddy cause we we used to get the business fromt them year after year on 'why do we go back every year'. then they finally took the plunge and have been going every year since. the great part of it all is they go once a year and then he'll say 'that's it for a few years'...then a few months later his wife and kids are begging to go back and he trys to down play it.

That's a good point. So many detractors don't even "get it" because they've never been. I've "converted" quite a few people. First they hear me talk about it with the sparkle in my eye. Then they either have kids, or maybe a girlfriend who really wants to go, and they BEGRUDGINGLY ask me for advice on their trip... and come back having had a blast.... Told you so.

I took my wife in 2009 for her first trip. I had gone almost every year as a child and wanted her to see it. Our son was almost two and was the first time we had really been away from him so it was tough but we managed! We hadn't had a honeymoon either. We got married bought a house and had our first child all in the same year! Talk about busy and expensive !! We did a Sunday through Friday trip with four day park hoppers and meal plan, one QS and one TS per person. Good flights too no stop and all for $1867 dollars! We went in early February and had 75 and 80 degrees every day! Well she loved it is an understatement! She was hooked as soon as she saw the castle. Never have I had such a relaxing vacation in my live. We had no reservations for meals, we ate most nights at DTD late, After park closing. If a ride had a long line we just came back, but it was slow and we hit Peter Pan , IASW, HM, One other ride in the first hour or so. We have been back twice since. Once in 2012 with my son and my sister and her son, then this year with son and daughter for her third birthday. But we can't wait to go again just us and RELAX!!!!

I live with my aunt and uncle, and this year I've gotten nothing but griping from them because I'm choosing to pay for my sister this time around. I'm on a fixed income, and have had to save for a year to afford the trip-they say she's got a good job, why are you paying for her, she's not even offering to give you any money, yada yada.

It was *my* choice to do this for her because she couldn't afford it this time and I have far less responsibilities than her and could afford to put some by every month. Nobody is holding a gun to my head. I love my sister to bits, and I know her life has been difficult for the past year money-wise. I *wanted* to do this for her, and seeing her face when she talks about our "Sisters Trip" is payment enough for me.

Plus, they're both scratching their heads as to why I'm going to WDW 'again.' Why not go somewhere else? Well, I've been overseas, I've been to Canada and I've been to Hollywood-loved it all. But nothing for me tops a vacation at WDW and nothing ever will. They don't get it because they went once and didn't like it...they stayed way over in I don't even remember but it was way far away from the property, they went in July, and they went with my cousin, who is an enormous pain in the butt and griped and moaned the entire time they were there. I guess a Disney vacation is not for everyone, but it's my choice and just because *you* didn't have a good time doesn't mean it automatically sucks.

*whew* Rant over. :blush:

We went on our honeymoon in early 90s, and even then I didn't "get" it until we took our kids. We loved our honeymoon, but that was more about the two of us and less about disney.
Once we took the kids, I totally understood why my friend had taken her little ones twice. It WASN'T just a "once in a lifetime" trip...at least for us.
Anxious to take my youngest on HER first trip...hopefully this fall!

I have a friend to went to Orlando for a work related trip (solo trip with boss, no family). While there, she went to MK. Well she happened to be there in December and the park closing early for the party. Well she goes on Facebook and starts slamming Disney on how they charge extra for fireworks and hot cocoa :confused3 also included how she could get this for free at Disneyland :sad2: I tried to explain that she happened to be there on a party day and normally the park closes late just like DL. She was not having it and said she would never go again. She said her boys 8,6,and 4 were happy going to DL and takingthem to DW was too expensive :sad2: Oh well I guess to each their own. Meanwhile at work I have apologized ahead of time to everyone because I only talk about my trip. So far everyone humors me and ask me questions about their own trips to DL. I will be in DW in October :cool1:

I have a friend to went to Orlando for a work related trip (solo trip with boss, no family). While there, she went to MK. Well she happened to be there in December and the park closing early for the party. Well she goes on Facebook and starts slamming Disney on how they charge extra for fireworks and hot cocoa :confused3 also included how she could get this for free at Disneyland :sad2: I tried to explain that she happened to be there on a party day and normally the park closes late just like DL. She was not having it and said she would never go again. She said her boys 8,6,and 4 were happy going to DL and takingthem to DW was too expensive :sad2: Oh well I guess to each their own. Meanwhile at work I have apologized ahead of time to everyone because I only talk about my trip. So far everyone humors me and ask me questions about their own trips to DL. I will be in DW in October :cool1:

Well at least she appreciates Disney Parks to some extent :) ... I DO love DL as well and would go there in a heartbeat. ( Which again... so many people don't get... "Why would you go there? You go to WDW all the time... " )

I have to admit, that really drives my dh crazy too. If we pay for park admission for a day, we should get a full day. If they want to have extended hours for a separately ticketed party, that's fine, but it shouldn't cut into regular hours at all. Really scummy imo. Disney loves it cuz they are getting paid 2 admissions for the same day. :rolleyes1

I have to admit, that really drives my dh crazy too. If we pay for park admission for a day, we should get a full day. If they want to have extended hours for a separately ticketed party, that's fine, but it shouldn't cut into regular hours at all. Really scummy imo. Disney loves it cuz they are getting paid 2 admissions for the same day. :rolleyes1

You are getting a full day based on the time of year. The parties are held after what would be normal park closing for that time of year. Disney is not getting "extra" - but they provide extras during the party which have to be paid for. I've never been to MVMCP but I have been at MNSSHP and felt that the price of admission was worth it for the fireworks alone.

There are those among us who, regardless of what was GIVEN to them, would still find something to complain about! Believe me, I get the 'looks' and the comments about going to Disney as well. My sons are 16, 17, and 20 ... and they can't WAIT to go each time we can afford it!

I've had some friends visit from South Africa, and we've taken them as well since it's such an amazing experience!

We also go on the Disney Cruise Line. We are DVC members and as our boys get older, they actually prefer the cruises. So many folks I know cruise, and do so on other lines. They say that Disney is too expensive, but I maintain that NO ONE does it like Disney! Those in my circle that have actually tried DCL have commented that they will no longer cruise another line!

There's just something comforting about the people, service, and the atmosphere that cannot be beat!

d3boyz

You are getting a full day based on the time of year. The parties are held after what would be normal park closing for that time of year. Disney is not getting "extra" - but they provide extras during the party which have to be paid for. I've never been to MVMCP but I have been at MNSSHP and felt that the price of admission was worth it for the fireworks alone.
This is simply not true. It has happened more than once where let's say tonight MK is open til 9:00 but tomorrow will close at 7 for the party. It wouldn't bother me at all if the party started at 9 and every night it closed at the same time, except weekends of course.

There are those among us who, regardless of what was GIVEN to them, would still find something to complain about! Believe me, I get the 'looks' and the comments about going to Disney as well. My sons are 16, 17, and 20 ... and they can't WAIT to go each time we can afford it!

I've had some friends visit from South Africa, and we've taken them as well since it's such an amazing experience!

We also go on the Disney Cruise Line. We are DVC members and as our boys get older, they actually prefer the cruises. So many folks I know cruise, and do so on other lines. They say that Disney is too expensive, but I maintain that NO ONE does it like Disney! Those in my circle that have actually tried DCL have commented that they will no longer cruise another line!

There's just something comforting about the people, service, and the atmosphere that cannot be beat!

d3boyz
:thumbsup2 :cloud9:

I couldn't agree more!

This is simply not true. It has happened more than once where let's say tonight MK is open til 9:00 but tomorrow will close at 7 for the party. It wouldn't bother me at all if the party started at 9 and every night it closed at the same time, except weekends of course.

You don't have any clue how the park times are even determined. It is a calculated number that is then applied to how many hours the park should be open so each day can be completely different. A Wednesday could be predicted to have MK max out at noon and then they may have operating hours until 1am and then the Thursday could be predicted for much less and 7pm could be the appropriate time. Also guests are paying extra money to take part in a special party it is unfair to start a party like that at 9pm it would end to late and it is not the correct time for young ones. Just because MK closes at 7pm doesn't mean everything is closed.. Downtown Disney is open until 11pm and some places 2am, Epcot is open until 9 and DHS varies from 7 to 10.

You don't have any clue how the park times are even determined. It is a calculated number that is then applied to how many hours the park should be open so each day can be completely different. A Wednesday could be predicted to have MK max out at noon and then they may have operating hours until 1am and then the Thursday could be predicted for much less and 7pm could be the appropriate time. Also guests are paying extra money to take part in a special party it is unfair to start a party like that at 9pm it would end to late and it is not the correct time for young ones. Just because MK closes at 7pm doesn't mean everything is closed.. Downtown Disney is open until 11pm and some places 2am, Epcot is open until 9 and DHS varies from 7 to 10.

Regardless of how they calculate their hours, as a guest at WDW for a multiple day stay and MK is open every night that particular week until 9pm but one day closes at 7 for a party, that is how I perceive it.

Sure a party can start later. It's no different than having pm EMH after MK is open til midnight but EMH goes until 3am. Little ones can't participate in that either. You either go or don't go.
Sure one can leave MK at 7 and go to Epcot but not everyone has, nor wants to pay, for hoppers.
A pp said her friend perceived the same thing, that the park closes earlier than usual when they have a party so obviously we're not the only ones who think this way.

:) You are getting a full day...9-7p.m., then can pay extra and go in from 4-12 on party nights. If I were on a tight budget I would buy the party ticket only for that day, not the MYW ticket and enter the park at 4. There is usually a billboard that states "The Magic Kingdom will be Closing at 7p.m. tonight for MNSSHP--you may purchase tickets for this event over there". They post the park hours 180 days in advance....and still people get upset.

If a person plans they should know the nuainces of park hours and plan accordingly.

Sorry it is just my opinion and I welcome all opinions on the DIS.

:) November hours are out now...I can look and see that the MK closes at 7 on certain nights.

:) November hours are out now...I can look and see that the MK closes at 7 on certain nights.

I understand and didn't mean to say that MK never closes at 7 except on party nights, it just seemed a coincidence then that the week we were there, the only time it closed at 7 were on party nights. I wouldn't spend another $200+ for my family to stay late.

The first time this happened we were caught unaware they even had a party (long before disboards. Heck we may not have even had the internet then.) Now we know better and just avoid that park on party days. :goodvibes

ETA: Just because they release their calendar 6 mos out, doesn't mean I have to like it. Our possible trip dates for off peak times are very limited to certain school closings. We're not necessarily free to choose another week.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't feel like 7pm closing is a full day, getting booted out right after dinner & then no fireworks.
Disney is laughing all the way to the bank on this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter