• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm Sick of it!!

My brother goes on 3 to 4 cruises a year and I always wonder what he sees in cruises. You couldn't pay me to go on one. We got to DW 4 times a year and be says the same thing.

My brother goes on 3 to 4 cruises a year and I always wonder what he sees in cruises. You couldn't pay me to go on one. We got to DW 4 times a year and be says the same thing.

Oh my, if you ever do consider a cruise, be sure it's DCL! Before, WDW was my happy place but now it's on a Disney ship. In 2012 I was on all 4 ships. We've tried 2 other cruise lines and have decided DCL is so unique & it fits like glove. It's everything we love about Disney but in a very relaxed atmosphere & with much more character interaction. On the last night there's a big party called Til We Meet Again with lots of characters. In 30 mins I got pictures with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Chip/Dale, Donald, & Snow White.
The service is just over the top. For dinner, our table is reserved for us with smiling servers calling us by name and asking how was our day. They cut my son's meat & crack his lobster. If he asks for ketchup, they put it on a side plate in the shape of a Mickey head.

For me, it's just heavenly. :cloud9: It makes the parks feel like hard labor. This summer will be DCL # 14. :cool1:

Yes, coworkers make comments but many of them either go NO WHERE or just keep going back to the shore. We spent last weekend at Universal Studios and I only mentioned to a couple people at work. Most didn't even know we went anywhere. It's better that way. I don't comment on their expensive boots & purses so they can keep their "traveling again?" comments to themselves too. I have one coworker who travels often, usually international, and gets a lot of negative comments. So she & I confide in each other when we're excited about a newly booked trip & have the urge to share the good news.

After around 20 trips to WDW, we felt like we needed to expand our travels a little and have found national parks to be great places to visit between cruises & WDW visits. (Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yosemite, etc.)
It's all good. Life is short; do what makes you happy. :goodvibes

I solved this problem but taking my Disney passion and made it my career! I opened my own travel agency that specializes in all things Disney. Now if someone says" you are going again" I just say "its work!"
:)

There are groups of families here in my small town that go to Mexico every year. All they do is get crazy drunk and act silly the whole time they are there. To each their own I guess, I don't understand the joy in it haha. I'd much rather be taking a trip to WDW! But I would never criticize them for their choices. I don't understand why anyone would need to say anything to you- it's your money and your choice! :thumbsup2

Same here ;) Although sometimes when i tell people we are going again i feel like i have to justify the fact that we ALL love it ... the adults AND the kids. Whatever ... they ar just jealous that we have all found a place we love to go to! :)

I get it all the time too! We love it there! We don't go as much as some on here, but every year or so...at most 2 times in one year! BUT, some of the people who don't get it end up asking me for help with THEIR planning!! I think really they are all secretly jealous because really, How could you NOT love it?:cool1:

Vickilynn42 said:
There are groups of families here in my small town that go to Mexico every year. All they do is get crazy drunk and act silly the whole time they are there. To each their own I guess, I don't understand the joy in it haha. I'd much rather be taking a trip to WDW! But I would never criticize them for their choices. I don't understand why anyone would need to say anything to you- it's your money and your choice! :thumbsup2

Yep. We have family that goes to Vegas multiple times a year drinking and gambling and wonders why we "do the same thing" by going on cruises or to Disney. Meanwhile they think recording "funny" videos of themselves being drunk is the most original thing ever.

Well...you could always TRY to go somewhere else on vacation...but why would you WANT to??:rotfl2:

My husband and I look at it the same way...our children will only be small once, and for now - this is their time. However, we've decided that when they are all grown up, we will still go, because it is all about the magic. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing better. :)

?..... I have zero expectations other than to spend time with my family in one of the happiest places ever......l

Awesome attitude!.... I feel the same way, and it is ALWAYS kids first!....(or kids at heart at least!).:yay:

Dh and I were just talking about this! He refuses to tell his co-workers anymore that we're returning b/c they give him so much grief about it. They think it's weird that two adults with no children would want to go to WDW. I also don't bring it up at work unless someone asks. But for us it truly is a wonderful escape from the "real" world. Because we don't have kids yet we're able to enjoy several NON-WDW trips a year, in addition to WDW. Nothing can beat the "magic." It's special for us and that's all that matters.

I don't understand why some people want to go to the beach every year. To me that is incredibly boring. This is why we are free to make choices and should not be criticized for our personal preferences. I also find it to be in bad taste when people say things like that.

It's not boring when you go to different beaches. Actually to go to different places is great. That's why maybe people don't understand why we go to WDW, the same parks, lot of times.

I enjoy both, knowing new places, cultures. And repeating a place I've enjoyed a lot before. And though I love several interesting beautiful cities, there's something special, magic, unique, in Walt Disney World. And the name "world" express it perfect. It is a world. It's like being in a whole different world.

Some people don't understand it. That's ok, but to criticize us and specially in a very bad way, that's really bad and uncool. Poor them.

Everyone has told me we have lost our minds going to WDW this year, because I just had a baby in December. We went last year and it was the first time for my DH and then 3 year old DS. It was so magical! So, I will be strapping my little one into the BECO carrier and going back to experience the magic. I have zero expectations other than to spend time with my family in one of the happiest places ever. Seriously, watching the DH and DS do some cool stuff together and sitting on a park bench with the little man, all while drinking a frozen lemonade is my kind of heaven.

My Son was 14 months old first time. Friends said wait till he would remember the trip, I said why, I'll remember.

20+ years later we still have the photo of him kissing Minnie's nose! :love:

I never feel defensive if someone asks why we go back all the time. I just tell them that we know how to enjoy our selfs while there. Where else can I visit 2 different amusement parks in a day, go swimming, walk to dinner in Mexico or Italy, have Dessert in France and have a drink or two in between and watch fireworks and take a walk on the boardwalk to end the night. Or we could have Dinner overlooking a Lake while looking at a Castle with Fireworks. If I feel like it maybe I'll go on a Safari the next day or just hang at the pool and pool bar. Ohhh and I drop off my bags at the airport and they show up in my room, and I get to flash my special card and get to enter the park early or sometimes show up at 11 PM at night and stay till 3 in the morning and not worry about driving or safety or be concerned about drinking the water!

I am in the same boat. Even though this is only our third family trip to the world, everyone seems to have something to say about it. Extended family loves to get their noses in our business and ask how in the world we can afford such trips. Co-Workers turn up their noses when I put in a for a week off, tell me to try somewhere else. REALLY? Why would we do that? My younger brother recently moved to Sarasota and took a weekend trip to EPCOT. He called me and said, you really think that place was amazing?

It all comes down to people not being able to find magic in their hearts. The memories and time I spend with my girls at Disney are ones that I will cherish forever. These memories keep them young in my heart. And on the coldest snowiest days in Minnesota, I can smile when a Disney memory comes to my mind.

I feel you! My friend am I are 20 somethings who should have apparently 'grown out of disney' :mad:

Nevermind the comments I get about going to America for the 7th time (all the way from Down Under) as if it doesn't have something to offer anymore?!?!?! I get don't you want to go to Africa, or Asia, or Europe instead?

I've been to 33 States and intend to get to all 50! Why wouldn't I keep coming back to such an amazing, hospitable place when every trip is different to the last? Each state is as different and individual as the last and we always add a trip to disney or a disney cruise. Afterall if you're going to travel to the other side of the world on a 15hr flight wouldn't you make the most of it?

'But why disney, aren't you too old?' NO!!! :mad: Disney is not just about the characters (although I concede that they are still an exciting plus) its about a chance to let lose, act like a kid and let my worries go! Not to mention the amazing quality of the experience and the extra disney magic that those who haven't gone disney just don't understand!

OK, Rant over LOL

I used to get alot of grief too.

Now I just don't tell anyone. I'm lucky though - I work out of the house now so I don't have co-workers to avoid telling.

I am fully prepared that our upcoming family trip with be the last one we make with all of us. My son is growing up, DD13 doesn't like Disney much, husband doesn't like Disney much.

So then I would only have to put up with the grief I get from going solo.

I am starting to look at going a few other places solo. Like - Disneyland. :rotfl:

I am starting to look at going a few other places solo. Like - Disneyland. :rotfl:

Woo for going to Disneyland solo! I have met some of the most amazing people standing in line by myself at Disneyland. Because I look younger than I am (24) it always seems to draw attention when I am by myself, and I guess the Aussie accent helps ;)

And while I'm on the topic, I often find myself justifying my disney cruises to people by talking about the amazing people we sat with at dinner! On our most recent trip we spend 5 days staying in Nashville with a couple we met on an Alaska cruise! Fellow Disers make such fantastic friends!!!!

Why do people think it is okay to insult the fact that I like to go to Disney on vacation? I don't insult where you are going! I get it - you went to Disney and didn't have a good time. You said it was expensive, it was crowded and the food was lousy. Mind you, you went to MK and AK. You did not go to Epcot or to HS. However, you had a great time at Seaworld, but for some reason you, your husband and your twin five year old boys did not have fun at a place where quite a few people on this planet do manage to enjoy themselves. Sorry I needed to vent! I was at a party today and again the fact was brought up that I am going back to Disney in the fall and they just can't understand why. Why don't I go someplace else? MYOB!!

Ignorance and jealousy.

:earsboy: Bill

Woo for going to Disneyland solo! I have met some of the most amazing people standing in line by myself at Disneyland. Because I look younger than I am (24) it always seems to draw attention when I am by myself, and I guess the Aussie accent helps ;)

And while I'm on the topic, I often find myself justifying my disney cruises to people by talking about the amazing people we sat with at dinner! On our most recent trip we spend 5 days staying in Nashville with a couple we met on an Alaska cruise! Fellow Disers make such fantastic friends!!!!

Great minds think alike! :goodvibes

I actually begged my husband to tell everyone that we're going somewhere else this fall! It's only 10 months between trips this time, and I just don't need the comments and the eye rolls. On our most recent trip, we had talked my sister and her family into coming with us. I heard for months from everyone in the family, including DBIL, that he would hate it, that he's "not a ride person", that he "doesn't like fairs and things like that", etc. Then we got to WDW in January and he was on every ride and wanted to come back with us later this year. Vindication! :cool1: Our friends that came with us last year said they had done it once and never needed to go back again. People either get it or they don't. If they don't get it you'll never succeed in explaining it to them, and if they do get it, you don't have to explain.

My Son was 14 months old first time. Friends said wait till he would remember the trip, I said why, I'll remember.

20+ years later we still have the photo of him kissing Minnie's nose! :love:

I never feel defensive if someone asks why we go back all the time. I just tell them that we know how to enjoy our selfs while there. Where else can I visit 2 different amusement parks in a day, go swimming, walk to dinner in Mexico or Italy, have Dessert in France and have a drink or two in between and watch fireworks and take a walk on the boardwalk to end the night. Or we could have Dinner overlooking a Lake while looking at a Castle with Fireworks. If I feel like it maybe I'll go on a Safari the next day or just hang at the pool and pool bar. Ohhh and I drop off my bags at the airport and they show up in my room, and I get to flash my special card and get to enter the park early or sometimes show up at 11 PM at night and stay till 3 in the morning and not worry about driving or safety or be concerned about drinking the water!

I got the all kinds of crazy comments too when we took our DS#3 as a 10 month old and then a few years later our 8 week old DS#4. The pictures and memories I have of those trips are priceless. My 8 week old gazing into Mickey's eyes while Mickey is looking down at him. I have it framed. The trip with the 10 month old - he LOVED the characters.

Sarah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter