I saw the Poseidon Adventure - head to the Propellers. Updated 3/10

tazdev3225

<font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t
Introductions and Day 1

Welcome aboard. Pull up a deck chair and relax. Sorry trying to be in the cruise mood. Seriously join in and have some fun while I take you on a trip aboard the Disney Magic.
First let’s start with the mundane formalities, the who and the why.

The Who is easy. There is me – Lorrie, Mom, Grandmom, Hey You, Sis, I pretty much answer to any of them when I hear my name,

I love Disney. When we go to the Happy Place my favorites vary by park but my favorite character is Grumpy. My family wishes I would change that since they think I identify with him to closely. What can I say, I think he is just misunderstood.

My sailing partner for the cruise was my DH Jim, Poppie, Dad, Sheriff etc. Just some of the names he goes by. His only real favorite Disney anything is Donald Duck and he does a fairly good impression.

Here he is with our oldest DD, his Princess, at her wedding last summer

Normally we go to Disney World for our big vacation but our last few trips together have been less than magical. Jim was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years ago. The plus side was he lost 100 pounds in the last 3 years or so. This has caused a positive effect on his health as far as his blood pressure goes and he manages his sugars with minimal medication. The down side is he developed a nasty diabetic ulcer on his one toe. It makes the walking in the parks very difficult as the ulcer ALWAYS flairs up and creates problems. He won’t use an ECV since I need one so we wind up barely speaking for a day or two. Not a magical vacation for either of us.

Jim is a really hard worker. He’ll tell you he works 7 days a week. I say he works 5 and the other 2 days he flirts with the co-eds. He is a Deputy Sheriff during the week and works Security at a local University on the weekends. Really hard work smiling at the pretty girls. Seriously he is close to retirement and is working really hard so that we can travel when he retires. I want him to keep the security job for my sanity. The reason for this information is it brings us to the Why!

Jim works hard and I watch our grandkids so both stressful lifestyles. I love my grandkids dearly but I need a break from them on occasion. I like to pick something that is a day’s drive and fun. Florida is a day’s drive to him and he doesn’t like to fly. Disney was out; he didn’t want to go back again til we took grandkids with us. What to do?? I had been mulling cruising and almost booked one a few years ago when Disney sailed out of New York. I started pricing and looking at itineraries. When I had a good idea of what I wanted I gave him the info and facts. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and after a few minutes said OK!

We decided on the week before Thanksgiving and a 7 day Western Caribbean. No trying a 3 day cruise for the first one we jumped in with both feet. Now I had to decide how to book. Disney trips I usually do myself but this was new territory. I investigated Dreams Unlimited and decided to request a quote from them. I liked the option of using a travel agent plus they gave a $100 on board credit plus I got another $50 using the Disney Visa. Sweet!!! I paid my deposit and we were set. (Next cruise I will probably use my friend the TA.)

Then I started worrying about all the unknowns. I decided to join a Facebook group for our cruise. I got to know some of the people through there. They started a Fish Extender group. I joined in on that next. I only had 9 or 10 months to go so it helped pass the time. I even joined a second Fish Extender group since they needed a few extra bodies to fill the group and I had so much fun making the gifts.

I paid off the cruise in full in August and then started planning excursions. OK I had been looking at them for several months but finally decided exactly what I wanted. I booked excursions. Dining would be 2nd seating with a couple I met in the Facebook group, a really great decision as they were so much fun.

Of course no vacation EVER starts without some issues. My High School reunion date changed to the night before the cruise. It was originally set for a month earlier and changed last minute. We looked at flying but airfare was outrageous at this point so I missed it. :-) Since we were driving I took the car in to be checked, that was a $1500 fix. All the potholes from the last winter killed my suspension. Costly but better than a bad accident and I would have needed the work anyway so I was OK with it. The worst thing to happen was finding out my Dad had cancer about a month before we sailed. Thankfully it was caught early and they are very optimistic he will be fine, however it is the type that can and normally does recur. Still not bad because they will monitor him closely.

Ok all the background and bad stuff out of the way we are Vacation -1 Day. It was an easy day for the most part. I had the grandkids but got my laundry done and the final packing out of the way. We ordered dinner from a local steak shop so I had no clean up afterwards. Our son came over on his way home from work to pick up our puppy.

She was staying with his family for the week. My DD was coming over to check on the cats and bring in my mail. I actually was able to go to bed early with no worries.

Day 1 – November 15
I wanted to be up and on the road at 4 AM. I don’t know why I plan for that as it never happens. We left closer to 5 AM. Stopped at a new WAWA to get gas and coffee. I was very happy as the store had just opened the day before and they had a grand opening special – any size coffee FREE!!!! I was a happy woman. 24oz of hot caffeine for free. Even better we were leaving frigid temperatures

We drove to Virginia before we switched drivers. I take the first shift and Jim drives from there. We got gas where we stopped; according to my notes it was Thornburg VA. Gas was $2.56 a gallon and we had driven 226 miles. We could have gone further but we paid $2.85 in Philly; that was a great price to us. We also stopped at the McDonalds for something to eat. We both had Egg McMuffins, I got a Dr. Pepper and Jim got an OJ.

I fell asleep by NC which is why I don’t drive longer. I actually woke up about 17 miles from South of the Border and stayed awake for the rest of the drive. We stopped in Santee SC for gas. When we pulled off of I95 there was a 5 car pile-up and several were out of state cars. A little scary as it looked like there were some injuries. Gas was $2.71 a gallon and we had driven a total of 630 miles. Probably could have gone further but Jim likes to fill up when we get close to a ¼ tank. We also stopped at the Wendy’s for 2 Strawberry Iced Teas and split a 6 piece Spicy Nuggets.

Back on the road we made really fantastic time. Jim didn’t stop unless we needed a bio break or if we needed gas. Somewhere around GA or FL I saw this truck

I was getting tired because I thought it was a tanker full of coffee. It actually was a fuel truck advertising coffee. LOL

We made it to the Best Western we were staying at overnight around 8 PM so we made really great time. From our house to the hotel was about 1000 miles and we made it in 15 hours, slightly better than getting to Disney World which usually averages 16 ½ hours for only an additional 50 miles.

Check in was a breeze and the people were very friendly. There was a restaurant attached to the property and you got a 10% discount as guests of the hotel so we just went there for dinner. The restaurant was called The Backwoods. It reminded me of Texas Roadhouse around us. Jim got Steak and Ribs which was not entitled to the discount and while the streak was good the ribs were inedible. Jim refused to complain which annoys me at times. I had a filet which was perfection. Both meals also came with a soup or salad. I had the Baked Potato soup which was very good. He got the salad which was salad but the Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing could have been a meal in itself it was VERY GOOD!!!! We actually shared the soup and salad and were of the same opinion there.

We headed back to the room and I was smart this trip, I had what we needed overnight in a backpack so it made things so easy that night. Jim tried to find football on the television and I was asleep in minutes.

The room was very nice and the bed was comfy. I would heartily recommend the hotel for a pre-cruise stay.

There will be many more pictures in future updates. Seriously how many pictures can you take of moving vehicles on an interstate?

Great start. Keep it going. We're in Largo, Fl and don't miss those frigid temps like we had in the Chicago area.:rotfl:

Stopping in to say I am here!! Aw - I have never seem that photo of Jim and your daughter. She looks just like him. Can't wait to read about your trip and see all of your photos!!

Great start. Keep it going. We're in Largo, Fl and don't miss those frigid temps like we had in the Chicago area.:rotfl:

:welcome: Thanks for joining in. I would move to Florida to get away rom the cold but my DH is insane. He LOVES snow and frigid temps.

Stopping in to say I am here!! Aw - I have never seem that photo of Jim and your daughter. She looks just like him. Can't wait to read about your trip and see all of your photos!!

:welcome: You think my daughter looks like him? She really is the image of his mother.

:surfweb: I am following

:welcome: Thanks for joining in.

I am following:yay:

:welcome: Glad to have you aboard.

I will have another update soon but life took a turn for me. My dad started his cancer treatment last week finally. Two days later he fell and broke his wrist and spine. Then he developed A Fib and was hospitalized. Yesterday they found an issue with his kidney doing tests because they were checking his hip for an injury. By time I am done with the grandkids and then see my dad I am exhausted physically and mentally.

I am hoping to write out some updates as a way to keep my mind from going to a scary place.

I laughed outloud when I read the title of your report and had to click on it! I'm loving it so far! On our recent drive from Illinois to Disney World I, too, saw a truck like the one you mentioned that said "COFFEE" on the back and I really thought it was full of coffee! My husband set me straight. Unfortunately, I don't have the excuse of being tired!! :rotfl2:

Looking forward to reading along!!

I laughed outloud when I read the title of your report and had to click on it! I'm loving it so far! On our recent drive from Illinois to Disney World I, too, saw a truck like the one you mentioned that said "COFFEE" on the back and I really thought it was full of coffee! My husband set me straight. Unfortunately, I don't have the excuse of being tired!! :rotfl2:

Looking forward to reading along!!

:welcome: Glad you liked the title. I was hoping for something eye catching. And I'm sorry but that was such a beautiful sight - a truck full of coffee. Wishful thinking I guess.

Day 2 – November 16

I was up early – around 6 AM. Took a quick shower and packed the few things I had. There was a coffee maker in the room so I brewed a cup, grabbed my camera and headed to the beach. The hotel was basically on the beach so almost no walking required. I had on my flip flops so I could feel the sand and walk in the surf. I love the beach.

The stairway to sand

And the other side

Cocoa Beach Pier in the distance, more like a block away

My granddaughter has recently become interested in shells so I went in search of some for her. There were a lot of shells in varying sizes but pretty much all the same type. So I walked, coffee in one hand, shells in another and camera around my neck. Then a photo opportunity arose – the sun was beginning to rise above the horizon. I had a dilemma, shells or coffee? I tossed the coffee, put the shells in the cup and started shooting away.

I think I made the right choice.

I continued to walk north on the beach, getting my feet wet. The water felt great. The locals looked at me like I was insane. The temps were mid 60’s or so and the water was cool but I am from Philly. We go to the Jersey shore and hope we get the water temps in the low 70’s by the end of the summer. I have walked in some toe curling cold water so this was heaven to me. I did chat with a very nice woman who moved down from up North and she understood my craziness when she learned where I was from. I also found out it wasn’t shell season. I never knew there was one. Hopefully next time we get down there I’ll find a nicer variety.

I reversed my course and headed towards the pier. Then I stopped for a picture.

I am not that tall and that is NOT a boardwalk. In my area that is a pier. Boardwalks run for miles, at least my favorite one does.

I turned my attention back to the water and found some surfers. I grew up with the Beach Boys, I always wanted to try surfing. My mom, the voice of reason and dream killer, pointed out one important fact. I CANNOT swim!!! Oh well I do like watching them.

I then headed back to the room to see if Jim had gotten up and showered yet. He is very SLOOOOOW!

Took some pics heading back to the room
Palm Trees – a must in Florida

Florida Christmas tree

Jim was ready so we headed to the building where breakfast was served. Jim is very boring - he had a tiny muffin, a small OJ and some eggs. I had eggs, OJ and COFFEE. One of the reasons my family calls me Grumpy is that until I have some, hot, caffeinated brown liquid I am not a pleasant person. I had several cups, my mood was much better. They also had pancakes and I had to try them just to use the pancake machine. This thing was great. You push a button and a minute or 2 later you have pancakes.

The food was good. Satisfied our hunger and it was included in the $98 price of the room. We finished eating and I headed back to the room to pack up the last couple of things and packed up the car. By time I was done that he finally had hobbled to the room. Don’t get me wrong he was having some problems with his knees but I have had 6 knee surgeries and make less of a fuss than he does.

This was in the food area

We checked out and I got our 40% off voucher for parking at the cruise parking lot, also included in the price of the room. If you ever cruise out of Cape Canaveral I highly recommend the Best Western.

We had to go to the store for something Jim forgot to pack. There was a Publix right across the main highway so we went there. I was truly amazed as I looked around. You can buy alcoholic beverages in the Publix, and it was fairly cheap. We have to go to a state store, state owned and regulated liquor store, for wine and other liquors. The beer distributor is where you go for all beers. Stupid system and never manages to get changed. He couldn’t find what he needed so we were off to Walgreens. He found the right bandages and I bought a newspaper. I like to get the Sunday paper when we travel to compare ads at home. Strange I know but amusing. As Jim drove to the port I glanced through it and found the best article given Jim’s job.

I need to preface it by saying that in Philly the Sheriff’s Department is trained to uphold laws but the Police Dept. actually does it. There is some resentment towards each department because of this. There was a report of a sheriff in Florida who answered a call for a burglary/robbery. He stole a $10 DVD and it was caught on tape. He was fired and prosecuted. Seriously how dumb??? Lose a good job and get a police record for a $10 DVD.

And a picture from our driving around. We were actually staying very close to it.

We headed to the port and found it with no problems.

Next up – we check in and the cruise begins.

Lorrie, I'm here. I'll be back to catch up when I get a little free time at work.

40% off parking at the terminal? That is almost worth the price of the room right there.

Looking forward to more photos!!

Susan

40% off parking at the terminal? That is almost worth the price of the room right there.

Looking forward to more photos!!

Susan

The hotel also had a package that included parking there and a shuttle to the port. I thought the voucher was better so we could get on the road as soon as we disembarked. We had a long ride back home and I thought Jim had to be in work the next day. If I had known he was off I would have gone to Disney World. :rotfl:

There are plenty more pics coming.

following along. Best wishes for your dad!

:welcome: Thank you so much. He was supposed to come home yesterday but I couldn't get my parents to answer the phone. I'm hoping that meant they finally set his wrist.

So here I go again. I'm going to try to keep up with another one of your TR's! I always fail miserably. :rotfl: I can't keep up with Scott either.

So here I go again. I'm going to try to keep up with another one of your TR's! I always fail miserably. :rotfl: I can't keep up with Scott either.

You do tend to fall behind. :rotfl2: I'll put links on FB so at least you can find them that way. And I can't keep up with Scott either but he falls behind with TR's too so we are in good company.

Great start! looking forward to reading more!

:welcome: Thanks. More will be coming soon. I just typed up some updates in word. Now I have to edit them. Hope to do at least one every few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter