I really dislike flying with SWA due to their boarding process

So let me get this right. You refused to pay for EBCI for any of your party. Was allowed to board in Family boarding....

They weren't actually allowed to use it, but did get two on way earlier than they should have.

Although other airlines have assigned seats I still see stress on the plane when someone has accidentally (or sometimes on purpose) sat in the wrong seat. Also the boarding situation for those airlines is just so awful. At least SW will tell you to sit down if you line up too early. The others just have clumps of people standing there for ages, getting in the way of those who get I get on early.

I for one LOVE the SW boarding process. Boarding in groups is so much more civilized than that mass crush that you get on the legacy's. Everyone hanging around the boarding area clumped together. I assume you were aware of the boarding process before you took the flight? I can't imagine why you wouldn't have bought EBCI if you were concerned.

"We boarded in the first B group and are all the way in the back"

I'm guessing that's because you were looking for for 4 seats together? There is ZERO chance you couldn't get 2 together in the front 1/2 of the plane if you boarded at the beginning of B. I have flown hundreds of flights on SW and I prefer it over any other airline.

Gonna vent for a minute here...

We usually drive to WDW since its only 10 hours. However, we flew this trip. The flight down was fine, but on the way back our boarding numbers were B12, B15, B55 and C1. I went to ask if my DD6 who was B55 could board with me and they told me to do family boarding. So I get in the line and was denied. Even though that's what they told me to do. They did let us all board in the first B group. Frustrating, but I was ok with it since I knew family boarding was ages 4 and below with ONE adult.

We get on the plane and practically everyone is holding seats. And it's obvious. Passed rows with bags tossed on seats to "hold" them. Very frustrating. We boarded in the first B group and are all the way in the back. I chose to follow the rules and not to buy one EBCI and save seats for my family. This entire experience was extremely frustrating. I won't be flying SWA again. They need to do a better job of enforcing me all of their rules. This is not a process, it's chaos.
Just a vent.

We did have a great trip though.

Did you book on points? If not, why didn't you all share one confirmation number?

Back of the plane is not the same as the front for many people. I hate that false argument. But you are correct that if you want to guarantee you are close to front, SWA is not for you.

I do fly SWA and have the highest status level on the airline.

It's nothing but mental. The fuselage is one aluminum tube. I hate the argument "I need to sit up front"...No you want to sit up front. Want's are completely different than needs. If you want to sit up front, then a assigned airline would be a better choice pure and simple.

Your a CP holder?

I will say that it is absolutely ridiculous that SWA doesn't take a stand, one way or the other, on the seat saving. Their only stance is essentially work it out on your own.

They really should post on their site either Seat Saving not allowed or Seat Saving is allowed for X places.

Otherwise, why could I legitimately save the first 3 rows of the plane? It's cowardly of them to not take a stance.

Worse than the ones saving a row, are the ones who try to save multiple rows... Of which I used to ignore and sit anyway.

We don't save seats on SWA. I'm against it. But if SWA actually adopted a policy for or against, then I'd at least respect it.

While I agree they should just make it official, at the end of the day it's a small matter. I would love to see someone saving rows of seats. I would sit there just for the sake of it :). We had 4 pre-boarders in our party on my last WN flight a week ago, but because they stopped to use the restroom, we wound up boarding in the C group. Our assigned numbers were A51-59. It wasn't the end of the world. We made our way to the back of the plane and sat in whatever seat was available.

They weren't actually allowed to use it, but did get two on way earlier than they should have.

Although other airlines have assigned seats I still see stress on the plane when someone has accidentally (or sometimes on purpose) sat in the wrong seat. Also the boarding situation for those airlines is just so awful. At least SW will tell you to sit down if you line up too early. The others just have clumps of people standing there for ages, getting in the way of those who get I get on early.

It's not that the boarding situation is awful, it's that everyone is trying to get overhead bin space because they don't want to pay for checked baggage. This is why you see people camped out in front of the gate sometimes 2 hours before boarding. If I had no bags, I would board last to reduce the amount of time I spent sitting in a aluminum tube. Flew first class on delta Monday, boarded almost last, sat in my seat and stowed the only thing I had..a laptop bag. No problems, no stress, no worrying about having enough overhead space since I checked all my baggage. Even had time for a pre-departure beverage.

10ejafl.jpg

I assume you were aware of the boarding process before you took the flight? I can't imagine why you wouldn't have bought EBCI if you were concerned.

"We boarded in the first B group and are all the way in the back"

I'm guessing that's because you were looking for for 4 seats together? There is ZERO chance you couldn't get 2 together in the front 1/2 of the plane if you boarded at the beginning of B. I have flown hundreds of flights on SW and I prefer it over any other airline.
:stir: :thanks:

It is up to people to educate themselves about airlines.. This includes seating options, luggage fees, change fees etc. If you choose not to educate yourself the only person to blame is yourself. If you choose not to pay for a seat or EBCI and don't get a seat you like it's on you. Don't expect people who paid for EBCI or for their seat to move so you and your precious snowflake can sit together. I know my butt won't move since we pay for EBCI or seats. If you choose to save a seat for your family member know the invisible person isn't there and anyone can sit there if they want. I like seeing airlines enforcing the family boarding rules. If age limit 4 then they should enforce and not let entire family and extended family board. If you have a B boarding number you need to get in line in the correct order.
It's not that hard but people need to learn to follow the rules. This is not directed to OP but a general rant on how people feel entitled not to follow airline rules and then whine when they have to follow. If you want to sit with your family pay to ensure you can, don't expect others who pay to move for you.

The flight down was fine, but on the way back our boarding numbers were B12, B15, B55 and C1.
I'm curious how you got boarding positions so far apart. It's not unusual for a group to get non-contiguous numbers but it would usually be something like B12, B14, B15, B17 not spread out so widely as the ones you got. So I'm curious how this happened. Did some people have EBCI and others did not, or did you check everyone in manually 24 hours out? I could imagine it happening in the latter case, especially if you had to check the four of you in manually one at a time due to four different confirmation numbers.

I went to ask if my DD6 who was B55 could board with me and they told me to do family boarding. So I get in the line and was denied. Even though that's what they told me to do.
I'm curious about this too. Did the gate agent actually ask how old your daughter was when you presented your boarding cards and then refuse to let you board? It's well known that the gate agent will refuse to let Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Sally, etc. board along with Mom, Dad and their young kids but I cannot recall any other post where someone reported being denied family boarding with a child so close to the cutoff age.

We get on the plane and practically everyone is holding seats. And it's obvious. Passed rows with bags tossed on seats to "hold" them. Very frustrating. We boarded in the first B group and are all the way in the back.
We enjoy flying Southwest but the seat saving thing is annoying, especially if we've paid for EBCI and people are saving seats for passengers who did not. But given that we always purchase EBCI we are boarding early enough to easily find a window and middle seat together within the first 10 or so rows. If we encounter a seat saver we just move on to the next row with two open seats.

Technically the AL+ is the highest tier level. CP is a seperate award... Which is why the Tier qualifying points and CP qualifying points are different. But yes I have both AL+ and CP. got my AL+ renewal fast this year cause of a double TQP promotion, but those didn't count for CP unfortunately. That took way longer.

And yes I would agree.. One doesn't NEED to sit up front. But you do get off the plane faster in front which does mean you arrive faster and for many who hate being trapped on the plane this is a big difference, that's why I hate that argument.

But I agree the need vs want thing is annoying as well with anything. And yes, I agree it's easier with another airline.

I talked to my neighbor tonight who is a flight attendant on SWA. She said she's seen fist fights break out, but that it really isn't something that comes up often. She said SWA will never take a stand either way cause they don't do that out of fear of alienating customers. Apparently they feel it would be a bigger issue to take a Stance than the potential risk f alienating a few customers.

Me flying by myself is easy as I usually get a number A16-A21. With the family is trickier. On this upcoming trip, my wife and kids and mother in law are meeting me there so I won't need to worry.

Plus, if one REALLY wants to get on first, then they can pay $40 each and get s business class slot. there are unscrupulous ways to do it too... The air cast story said earlier is an unnecessary tactic... SWA is supposed to give anyone a pre board without demanding proof. I'm not sure you even need to give them a reason... I did it once, legitimately after surgery, and don't remember them asking me why.

It's nothing but mental. The fuselage is one aluminum tube. I hate the argument "I need to sit up front"...No you want to sit up front. Want's are completely different than needs. If you want to sit up front, then a assigned airline would be a better choice pure and simple.

Your a CP holder?

While I agree they should just make it official, at the end of the day it's a small matter. I would love to see someone saving rows of seats. I would sit there just for the sake of it :). We had 4 pre-boarders in our party on my last WN flight a week ago, but because they stopped to use the restroom, we wound up boarding in the C group. Our assigned numbers were A51-59. It wasn't the end of the world. We made our way to the back of the plane and sat in whatever seat was available.

It's not that the boarding situation is awful, it's that everyone is trying to get overhead bin space because they don't want to pay for checked baggage. This is why you see people camped out in front of the gate sometimes 2 hours before boarding. If I had no bags, I would board last to reduce the amount of time I spent sitting in a aluminum tube. Flew first class on delta Monday, boarded almost last, sat in my seat and stowed the only thing I had..a laptop bag. No problems, no stress, no worrying about having enough overhead space since I checked all my baggage. Even had time for a pre-departure beverage.

10ejafl.jpg

:stir: :thanks:

It is up to people to educate themselves about airlines.. This includes seating options, luggage fees, change fees etc. If you choose not to educate yourself the only person to blame is yourself. If you choose not to pay for a seat or EBCI and don't get a seat you like it's on you. Don't expect people who paid for EBCI or for their seat to move so you and your precious snowflake can sit together. I know my butt won't move since we pay for EBCI or seats. If you choose to save a seat for your family member know the invisible person isn't there and anyone can sit there if they want. I like seeing airlines enforcing the family boarding rules. If age limit 4 then they should enforce and not let entire family and extended family board. If you have a B boarding number you need to get in line in the correct order.
It's not that hard but people need to learn to follow the rules. This is not directed to OP but a general rant on how people feel entitled not to follow airline rules and then whine when they have to follow. If you want to sit with your family pay to ensure you can, don't expect others who pay to move for you.

Actually, SWA doesn't seem to have an issue with the seat saving. Perhaps googling it will show you the various postings of SWA responses to the question.

At times I miss the old days where sitting in line for 2 hours got you first on the plane. I was almost always first 5 on.

Did you book on points? If not, why didn't you all share one confirmation number?

I'm not the OP, but my family has multiple reservation numbers because we've been shaving money off our ticket price a little at a time. Sometimes when a better fare pops up it's for one seat or two but not four. Currently I have a different confirmation number because we saved $20 on my seat but ONLY mine.

Gonna vent for a minute here...

We usually drive to WDW since its only 10 hours. However, we flew this trip. The flight down was fine, but on the way back our boarding numbers were B12, B15, B55 and C1. I went to ask if my DD6 who was B55 could board with me and they told me to do family boarding. So I get in the line and was denied. Even though that's what they told me to do. They did let us all board in the first B group. Frustrating, but I was ok with it since I knew family boarding was ages 4 and below with ONE adult.

We get on the plane and practically everyone is holding seats. And it's obvious. Passed rows with bags tossed on seats to "hold" them. Very frustrating. We boarded in the first B group and are all the way in the back. I chose to follow the rules and not to buy one EBCI and save seats for my family. This entire experience was extremely frustrating. I won't be flying SWA again. They need to do a better job of enforcing me all of their rules. This is not a process, it's chaos.
Just a vent.

We did have a great trip though.
Not knowing the other ages involved, wouldn't it have made sense for DD6 to board with B15, an adult take the B12, but let B13/14 ahead of them. Then B55 waits until C1? So you board with two pairs and break any "rules" yourself?

It's nothing but mental. The fuselage is one aluminum tube.

Yeah, it is but in less than smooth air the yawing (side to side swinging) of the plane is noticeable, and some people are sensitive to, or simply don't like the way it feels. Back in the day when I was flying in the north, I can tell you that on a rough day the ones to get airsick were in the very back of the plane.

Yeah, it is but in less than smooth air the yawing (side to side swinging) of the plane is noticeable, and some people are sensitive to, or simply don't like the way it feels. Back in the day when I was flying in the north, I can tell you that on a rough day the ones to get airsick were in the very back of the plane.

All the more reason to choose a airline with reserved seating. Simple as that.

All the more reason to choose a airline with reserved seating. Simple as that.
One of the last times we flew on an airline with reserved seating, we reserved two seats towards the front. Then the airline merged our flight with another and assigned us seats that weren't together. When we noticed the change online we called and were told we would have to ask the gate agent to try to find us new seats. We got to the airport very early to give us the best chance of fixing this. We did end up with seats together but they were in the very last row of the plane.

Since we've been flying Southwest, we have never been further back than the exit row.

One of the last times we flew on an airline with reserved seating, we reserved two seats towards the front. Then the airline merged our flight with another and assigned us seats that weren't together. When we noticed the change online we called and were told we would have to ask the gate agent to try to find us new seats. We got to the airport very early to give us the best chance of fixing this. We did end up with seats together but they were in the very last row of the plane.

Since we've been flying Southwest, we have never been further back than the exit row.

That is the exception and not the norm. The computer algorithm randomly assigns seats. Plane swaps happen every day, you may not notice it on WN because of the open seating policy.

Plane swaps happen every day, you may not notice it on WN because of the open seating policy.
And that is the point I was trying to make. Even with an airline that has assigned seats, you may lose those seats. If WN does a plane swap, I still have the same chance of getting good seats because it's based on my boarding position and I have some control over that by purchasing EBCI.

I would consider Southwest but their fares are no lower than Alaska and they don't have very many non-stop flights from Seattle. You can't even fly to SNA or LAX from Seattle without transferring planes. Plus their ontime percentage is far below Alaska's.

I flew SW once alone from ATL to MCO and didn't mind the boarding process. I bought EBCI because I knew there would be alot of families and seat saving going on.

But my husband absolutely refuses to fly SW - he wants to know his seat number and doesn't like the idea of a "cattle call" boarding as he calls it. He likes Delta but I think that has the same "cattle call" except you have a seat number sort of. Mine changed a few times on my last Delta flight since the type of plane switched. My DD15 was seated in the back of the plane and I was closer to the front. She's older though so I didn't worry about it - I did take her seat and she took mine because she was kind of freaked out about being alone near the back.

At least now you know, SW isn't the airline for you, OP.

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't think SWA is for us at all. I was under the impression that saving seats was against the rules.

I agree with you. Unfortunately SW is the only airline that flies direct to Orlando from our local airport. We continue to fly SW for that reason. We have flown SW to Orlando on 16 separate trips. I cannot remember a trip where there was not seat saving. I am so surprised how many people say they have never seen it. We always purchase EBCI for our family of four and have gotten an A position every time, except once. Even with boarding early we always encounter seat savers. We just go to the back so we can sit together. It is just very frustrating to see people with things spread out over the seats. I am glad they enforced the family boarding rule. I constantly see them let entire families board during family boarding, grandparents, etc. One trip we saw a family of 16 (in matching shirts, that is how we knew they were family) board during family boarding. I don't know if it is because I have only flown SW to Orlando if it is that way because there is so much family traffic. I wonder if it different flying to other places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter