I really dislike flying with SWA due to their boarding process

I agree its stupid that they don't take a stance... I fly SWA often and like it for DH and I but that is because I am for a bit longer A list preferred (work travel was low this year so I won't get it back this year) and we don't have kids so flying seperate would not really be an issue. Oh and I have never even had to try to save the middle seat next to me for DH anyway since although I'm not a customer of size in that I can easily buckle the seatbelt I am not tiny so its rare anyone chooses to sit next to me until towards the end.

However part of is it they dont' want to have to figure out all their other policies if they make this decision. If they say you can save seats then they get alot less EBCI revenue as no one is going to buy more then 1. Seat saving is allowed now.

If they say its not allowed then they have to figure out something for all the A listers when they are on leisure travel and are with family. I think alot of us that were A list would give up the airline and pick another one if they didn't have something in place to make it likely that my family would sit near me the times they are with me. Right now seat saving is it.

Or you could board with them. Why should you all get A+ benefits if only one of you is A+?

Or you could board with them. Why should you all get A+ benefits if only one of you is A+?
Yes if they changed the process that would be an option... except if they forced me to take that option I would change my airline.

Work lets me pick my flights as long as they prices are within a reasonable range of one another. So I can pick any airline to get my status on that works for me. If SW didn't allow us to go together (It is my understanding that other airlines that allow you to board earlier with status to store your bags allow your whole party to board early) I would choose another airline. I know I"m not alone in this since many of my coworkers have said the same thing in our discussions of flights and things that annoy us when traveling.

I doubt this is only true of my circle of coworkers, if I'm correct making a direct policy that I couldn't save his seat or board with him would mean they lose some business from a number of frequent fliers.

Yes if they changed the process that would be an option... except if they forced me to take that option I would change my airline.

Work lets me pick my flights as long as they prices are within a reasonable range of one another. So I can pick any airline to get my status on that works for me. If SW didn't allow us to go together (It is my understanding that other airlines that allow you to board earlier with status to store your bags allow your whole party to board early) I would choose another airline. I know I"m not alone in this since many of my coworkers have said the same thing in our discussions of flights and things that annoy us when traveling.

I doubt this is only true of my circle of coworkers, if I'm correct making a direct policy that I couldn't save his seat or board with him would mean they lose some business from a number of frequent fliers.

Well, we are talking 2 different things. Seat saving vs boarding order. My confession: I am A+ and when I travel with my family (Wife, and kids 13 and 10), I board at my usual A16-20-ish and save 1 seat for my youngest. My wife and older daughter board in their proper position. My rule of thumb is that it is OK to save 1 seat per person. I sit in the middle and save the window seat. If I wasn't saving a seat, I would have sat in window, and chances are no one would take the middle before she boarded anyway.

I, too, have A-List status. I also have a companion pass assigned to my daughter. When we fly together, I pay for her to have EBCI and I back up and board with her. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's right to save a seat, so I won't do it.

If they are all on one conf number, you only have one check-in. You will then (normally) get 4 consecutive boarding positions. If you book with points, you will always get 4 diff conf #'s. If you book all with cash at the same time, you will get 1.

I didn't realize that, so thanks for the info, DisDadDVC!

There are tables in the front row. But they come out of the armrests (I think).
Also, when you book with points, everyone gets a separate confirmation # and must be checked in separately. When you pay, everyone is on the same confirmation # and you check everyone in at once. Theoretically you should have consecutive boarding numbers but many have reported this not to always be true.

Oh really, hmmm, I've never noticed those before, so I'm gonna have to pay attention to that! If I ever get on early enough to get that row, I just may go ahead and go for it now! Thanks, pooch!

I think part of the reason they don't worry about saving seats is it actually speeds boarding. If you have only one person per row stowing luggage etc they can step into their row or at least quickly stow their one piece of luggage without holding up those behind them. Their companion would be able to find their seat quickly, so overall, its a bit faster than if parties all boarded together.

Not to say its the fairest way to board...

I, too, have A-List status. I also have a companion pass assigned to my daughter. When we fly together, I pay for her to have EBCI and I back up and board with her. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's right to save a seat, so I won't do it.
It's not just you. We buy EBCI for both of us when we travel. I have no interest in playing the seat saver game. We choose our seats together, get out our books and relax. :goodvibes

I believe people have reported getting non-consecutive boarding positions even when checking in multiple people on one confirmation number. They usually won't be too far apart, for example a group of four might get A31, A33, A34, A36. There are a lot of people checking in right at 24 hours out so the web server could be processing many check-in requests in parallel. If the web server's check-in software processes multiple check-ins in a loop then it would issue four individual requests for the next boarding slot rather than one request for the next four boarding slots. With multiple check-ins being processed in parallel, those boarding slot requests could get interleaved resulting in small gaps in between boarding positions even if everyone is on the same confirmation number.

I believe people have reported getting non-consecutive boarding positions even when checking in multiple people on one confirmation number. They usually won't be too far apart, for example a group of four might get A31, A33, A34, A36. There are a lot of people checking in right at 24 hours out so the web server could be processing many check-in requests in parallel. If the web server's check-in software processes multiple check-ins in a loop then it would issue four individual requests for the next boarding slot rather than one request for the next four boarding slots. With multiple check-ins being processed in parallel, those boarding slot requests could get interleaved resulting in small gaps in between boarding positions even if everyone is on the same confirmation number.

This is correct. The only time you would get large gaps would be if there was a cancellation of an earlier boarding position.

Unfortunately life isn't fair. There are other options for most people, other airlines, flying out of a different airport. Now OP knows SWA is not for her and her family.

Some people don't like SWA and their policies and that is okay, they don't have to fly with them.
Soooo, I make the choice to pay for EBCI, for my family. But, when we board the plane, we have to pass by row after row....with just one person in it, saying 'oh, these seats are taken'.
The purpose of EBCI is to get you checked in, earlier than non-EBCI people, at the 36 hr window. Which most likely puts you ahead of those without EBCI in the boarding process.
So, because life isn't fair, it's ok for someone to pay for EBCI, for themselves, and then save multiple seats for those without EBCI in their party. Making my EBCI expenditure, for my entire group, meaningless. Yep, that's pretty much a good definition of 'life isn't fair'.

Soooo, I make the choice to pay for EBCI, for my family. But, when we board the plane, we have to pass by row after row....with just one person in it, saying 'oh, these seats are taken'.
The purpose of EBCI is to get you checked in, earlier than non-EBCI people, at the 36 hr window. Which most likely puts you ahead of those without EBCI in the boarding process.
So, because life isn't fair, it's ok for someone to pay for EBCI, for themselves, and then save multiple seats for those without EBCI in their party. Making my EBCI expenditure, for my entire group, meaningless. Yep, that's pretty much a good definition of 'life isn't fair'.

If you find that EBCI is not useful for your traveling needs, you can save the $25/person and check in on the 24 hr mark. Since SWA does not have any rules prohibiting seat saving, it is bound to happen that people will save seats. I'm sorry this upsets you but with the way SWA operates it happens and "isn't fair" There are other flying options where you can have your seat assigned.

It is also possible that the "rows and rows" of people could happen because people were on the plane already and connecting thru where you boarded. I have boarded a SWA in A group and the plane has already been 35% full of people from another destination.

If you find that EBCI is not useful for your traveling needs, you can save the $25/person and check in on the 24 hr mark. Since SWA does not have any rules prohibiting seat saving, it is bound to happen that people will save seats. I'm sorry this upsets you but with the way SWA operates it happens and "isn't fair" There are other flying options where you can have your seat assigned.

It is also possible that the "rows and rows" of people could happen because people were on the plane already and connecting thru where you boarded. I have boarded a SWA in A group and the plane has already been 35% full of people from another destination.
Ummm, I've been flying SW for a very long time now....I know the drill. And I have little to no issue with the boarding process. I also have no issue with people saving a seat or two, in the same row they are in.....so you sit in the aisle and save the middle and window. Fine. You seem to miss my point.....if I have paid for EBCI and I get a boarding slot of A36, and I get on the plane and find that there are 6 rows that have one person in each row, saving those addtl seats? No, SW has no policy on saving seats...it's the principal of the thing. I have saved a seat before...but my dd had EBCI as well....but had a slot further back from me.
If I come along and want to sit in that 'saved' window seat, then I can. There is no behind in it...even if your jacket is sitting there...that's not an occupied seat! Technically, I can sit there. Same as technically you can 'save' it.

I know exactly how many people are boarding before me, so if I get on board and there are more people sitting than I had figured, I'm pretty sure it was a connecting flight...especially since most of those people have now moved to front of the plane/exit row seats!!!

It's the principal here. But, people will continue to rationalize their choices. Me? I prefer to get what I pay for, and nothing more!! If I decide not to pay for EBCI, I'll be fine with whatever seat I get....even if it's the furthest seat in the back of the plane. I wouldn't feel justified in having someone else save me a seat.

I have to ask, those of you that think it's okay to save seats. If you are a party of 12, do you have just two people pay for EBCI and then they board and save 10 addtl seats? That's okay? Just curious. Because saving seats, is, well, saving seats. I know I said I would be fine with saving just one, possibly two seats, but 10? Nope. You get 5 groups of people doing that, theoretically, and half the plane is now saved seats.

We have been flying SW for a while now as they have the only nonstop flight to Orlando out of our airport. On one trip I asked the gate agent if grandparents were allowed to board with parents and child in family boarding. She said no but encouraged me to have them save us seats so we could sit together. i said I thought that wasn't allowed and she said that it was fine. Since then I try to get everyone EBCI, but don't feel badly about the one time we used saved seats.

I'm pretty sure that if those saving seats went to the back of the plane, no one would have an issue. The issue is when multiple seats/rows are saved in the front of the plane.

But....as long as SW continues to tell its customers that it's ok to save seats, then that's the bottom line. So, rather than come here and complain, let SW know of your displeasure. Snd tell them other airlines fit your needs better.

Since SWA does not have any rules prohibiting seat saving
They also don't have any rule allowing seat-saving.
It is also possible that the "rows and rows" of people could happen because people were on the plane already and connecting thru where you boarded.
Not rows and rows of people - rows and rows with only one person in each. That's not the result of a connecting flight.

I expect this happens all the time. Annoying I am sure.

Not rows and rows of people - rows and rows with only one person in each. That's not the result of a connecting flight.
But, when we board the plane, we have to pass by row after row....with just one person in it, saying 'oh, these seats are taken'.
I always see lots of rows with only one seat taken, but very rarely are the other seats saved. I've boarded with the second B group and sat in a window seat near the front. My daughter and I have boarded in the first B group and taken a window and middle in the first six rows.

The irony of Southwest's boarding strategy is that the back of the plan fills up first. People think there might be a better seat farther back, and when they don't find one, they can't swim upstream. The empty middle seats are always near the front.

I always see lots of rows with only one seat taken, but very rarely are the other seats saved. I've boarded with the second B group and sat in a window seat near the front. My daughter and I have boarded in the first B group and taken a window and middle in the first six rows.

The irony of Southwest's boarding strategy is that the back of the plan fills up first. People think there might be a better seat farther back, and when they don't find one, they can't swim upstream. The empty middle seats are always near the front.

I have found the best place to sit to get an empty middle seat is about 1/4 of the way back in the plane.

The front most middle seats are filled by people who hate the back or have tight connections and want off first. The back half is filled by people as they realize there aren't better options in back and take what they can get. So 1/4 of the way back is the last place people fill in middle seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter