How are you bringing Alcohol on board?

pearljammer

DIS Veteran
so this will be our fourth cruise and we've always brought our own beer/wine in a small cooler emptying the ice prior to boarding. My husband has read on their guidelines that it needs to be brought in as carry on. How are others bringing their own alcohol on board? We were planning to do the same for our upcoming Sept cruise but afraid they may not let it on? Anyone? Thanks

so this will be our fourth cruise and we've always brought our own beer/wine in a small cooler emptying the ice prior to boarding. My husband has read on their guidelines that it needs to be brought in as carry on. How are others bringing their own alcohol on board? We were planning to do the same for our upcoming Sept cruise but afraid they may not let it on? Anyone? Thanks
Coolers are not allowed on DCL. Used to be allowed (in spite of the prohibition being on the books for quite a while), but now the only coolers allowed are small (6 pack size) for medications or special dietary needs.

DCL asks that all beverages (alcoholic or otherwise) be brought onboard in carry on bags, not checked.

In the past I've used a backpack or a small duffle, but the last cruise I used a small (20") rolling carry on that worked great for the 4 bottles of wine and a small bottle of rum. Still had plenty of room for a change of clothes, my electronics, etc. I put the bottles in those bubble wrap bottle protectors.

You can always buy a cooler backpack at someplace like Walgreens and use ice packs if you have to keep them cold. It's just a regular backpack but is insulated. I use one to transport bombers to bottle shares. Holds 3-4 22 oz. bombers.

We packed all of our alcohol in one of the cases that wine is sold in. Stop by your local liquor/wine store and they will usually give you one (especially if you buy your alcohol from your trip from them).

Then we put the case into a carry on size piece of luggage that rolls and added some additional items to prevent the case from shifting around.

We fit all this into two rolling carry ons

CG_D5_Sa_VAAA_QNO.jpg

caseofwine_grande.jpeg

We used a 20 inch hard sided upright Samsung roller. It was over 100 pounds and packed to the bring with 2 cases of water and enough liquor to get us through our 2 week cruise. :)

We have an eight pack wine soft side shoulder strap carrier that we bought from the Marriott point store. We will usually bring one bottle of wine for each night of the cruise and one nice sip'n bourbon. Easy enough to hand carry on board and the shoulder strap helps ease the weigh while we check in.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our last cruise was 2013 and we used a small cooler and got on with no problem. Perhaps they were bring nice by not turning it away. We will just use a roll on. I always bring some diet dr pepper as well since they don't have that on the boat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our last cruise was 2013 and we used a small cooler and got on with no problem. Perhaps they were bring nice by not turning it away. We will just use a roll on. I always bring some diet dr pepper as well since they don't have that on the boat.
Since your last cruise you did this on was in 2013, I'd say someone was being nice, as the enforcement of the cooler prohibition was started in Oct 2012. As I said, the prohibition has been on the DCL website for much longer than that, but they weren't enforcing it prior to that.

815082_sk_lg

We have used a collapsible rolling luggage cart similar to this one. If you Google them or check ebay there's all kinds of them out there. When you go through the ship's security you'll need to unload the cart and send everything through the scanner, then reload it, but it's so much easier to roll your drinks instead of carrying them.

We have used a collapsible rolling luggage cart similar to this one. If you Google them or check ebay there's all kinds of them out there. When you go through the ship's security you'll need to unload the cart and send everything through the scanner, then reload it, but it's so much easier to roll your drinks instead of carrying them.
Smart idea! What is the approximate weight of the cart?

Hmm, 20lbs might be a bit heavy to carry onto a plane :)

Might have to go the rollaboard route then.

I have a lrolling laptop bag that is HUGE and holds a lot so I think I may just use it. Thanks all. I guess they were just being nice.

Coolers are not allowed on DCL. Used to be allowed (in spite of the prohibition being on the books for quite a while), but now the only coolers allowed are small (6 pack size) for medications or special dietary needs.

DCL asks that all beverages (alcoholic or otherwise) be brought onboard in carry on bags, not checked.

Hard sided coolers are not allowed. As far as I know you can take soft sided ones.

We packed all of our alcohol in one of the cases that wine is sold in. Stop by your local liquor/wine store and they will usually give you one (especially if you buy your alcohol from your trip from them).

Then we put the case into a carry on size piece of luggage that rolls and added some additional items to prevent the case from shifting around.

We fit all this into two rolling carry ons

CG_D5_Sa_VAAA_QNO.jpg

caseofwine_grande.jpeg

You are my kind of cruisers. All of that for a 3 night, right? :drinking1:rotfl2:

I mentioned in another reply, but soft sided coolers are generally allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter